Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Power Play

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Disliked the "Unconventional Survival" challenge. Wasn't into the "Logo Street Fashion" task. 

But tonight's "Gamer Girl" assignment? My level of "OMG,  WHO CARES?!" is off the algorithm charts. 

FOR REAL!

• Love 8

Can’t say that this challenge interested me. 

Very tired of Tessa’s smug expressions and superior attitude. I’m also over Nina. I appreciate that they wanted to carry-over someone from the “original” PR but I would rather hear from a new voice. I’m not sure what the Gamer Executive offered as a judge of fashion but I guess that they had to include someone that was representative of the challenge.

Didn't love any of the looks...perhaps because I didn’t get a good look at most of them. Many of the looks that end up as “safe” seemed to go by in a split second. 

It was a fine line between fashion and costume in this challenge and I’m not sure who succeeded and who did not, regardless of the outcome.

• Love 15

How does Hester have time to design or make clothes when it looks like she spends most of her time putting her own looks together?  In my opinion, a REAL designer saves it for the runway.  Most of the great designers dressed very simply and plainly and put their imagination and work into their designs.

I must say that I was moved by Hester's story.  I also turned my life upside down to care for a parent.  It's a hard thing to do.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, LizDC said:

When the guest gamer people asked any of them had programmed, I thought, "Sure did! Using BASIC on my Apple IIe."

I'm old. 

You're old? I started programming in COBOL.

• LOL 6
  • Love 12

Hester's personal style still makes me cringe. Everything is so matchy matchy and Justice and Claire's. Good grief, how did she haul all that shit from Sante Fe. She must have a U-Haul parked offsite for the accessories alone.

I liked both Garo's and Tessa's. All of the top three in my opinion were well constructed, and the bottom ones were shoddy, shabby, and so poorly executed that everyone else was safe by default.

• LOL 4
  • Love 17

Rakan’s sketches showed a cropped vest and I thought she was going to be a superhero farmer and basically just recycle last week.  Also Bordeaux looked like red to me too.

The white and blue cross outfit was by far the worst outfit to me.  The lady bond with the no bra from Jamall was a close second.  It’s almost like they weren’t going to eliminate one of the full figured models.  

The only thing I want to learn from Hester is how to pack.  Did she bring 20 trunks of clothing and accessories?  Her and the spouse are visually exhausting.  NY to Santa Fe seems like worlds apart though in terms of her crowd...I’m glad she hasn’t let it stop her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 11

Christian is just so hilarious.  I would totally take advantage of him.  If I was stuck with that horrid blue fabric and white lace and feathers I would just ask him how to salvage it to not get him in the bottom.  He would totally help LOL.  

Also the way it was edited didn’t it seem like since Rakan was under budget that he was going to offer his extra money to Venny?  I was confused.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Beaner said:

Hester's personal style still makes me cringe.

Did you see the look she had on in the previews?? O. M. G. *tries to shake the image free from his head*

Speaking of Hester-related trauma her design reminded me of the 80's that brought us 'So Fine' (and I apologize for this in advance...)

4123e1ccaaaf141801f4b7cd447d2e5f.jpg.8578c2bcb4765da57aa8cb830233871a.jpg

I don't like that Tessa has become the bitchy narrator/definer of taste. She gives me Michelle lite vibes and I'm still trying to forget that last doomed retro POC that was PRAS. I mean most of this group are at least amicable with each other and she's that bitch eating crackers in the corner commenting on everyone like she's the arbiter of what passed for good design. Shut up Tessa! That said, I still would have given her the win here.

• LOL 5
  • Love 16

I thought Hester's was, as usual, absolutely hideous, and failed the challenge.

Why do they continue to ignore Christian - his advice is on the nose.  So much boring beige/baby poop brown (Tessa).

The judges need to make up their minds on so many fronts.  Like tonight the complaints about boobage in Jamel's tux.  There are frequently outfits sent down with cleavage, side boob, nipples, etc that don't get criticized.

Sebastian's looked exactly like something Brandon would have sent out a couple of seasons ago - beige and pale pink with stupid straps dangling all over.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Besides the fact that almost everything looked like a costume, Hester's was one of the most costumey, how did she win? I really though Tessa had it.

• Love 19

A sexy editrix with a whip? Ugh. I realize people of the world seem to want to sexualize everything but gross. The skimpy X over the cleavage does not make it modest, don't tell me that. It doesn't need to be modest, who cares, but don't tell me this story and expect me to believe it. How often do we see this hypersexual dominatrix look in gaming? How inventive in coming up with a new look for girls in gaming. GROSS. I don't want this.

Swinging wildly in the other direction to brown wool overalls with a brown wool apron? I don't want that either.

It sounded like the gaming experts PR brought in to explain the challenge were hoping to encourage more girls into game design. If girls were the intended audience then at least Hester's outfit looked fun and wearable for movement. I'm not saying it was fashion. The winning look of the survival challenge didn't look like fashion either.

Venny what?

Edited by GoldaVining
flip flopping
  • Love 13

The designers are told not to make costumes. Hester makes a costume and wins. Did not get why they were tripping over themselves to tonguebathe that outfit. At least one of the judges pointed out it was a bit too much. Next week they have to make something elegant, which will probably be a gigantic fail by Hester but she has immunity. Darn it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15

I'm glad that Christian warned/reminded the designers not to make costumes for this challenge, but most of them didn't listen. The larger problem is that they were asked to create video game characters which means veering into costume territory.

I remember in past seasons, there were certain designers who would spin elaborate stories about who was wearing this outfit (I still remember Angela's rambling story about how the girl wearing her design was a dog walker in Paris or some such nonsense). This group doesn't seem to have the collective creativity to come up with those complicated stories if their video game character inspirations are any indication.

Although it was cool to see the designers' video game characters rendered by the artists, I felt bad for the people who worked with Rakan and Sonia . They were already on a pretty tight schedule to create the drawings and then these poor artist were told, "Oh, hey, I changed my design so can you change this by tomorrow?"

I love watching the designers interact, like when they all started making fun of the way Jamall said, "STAAAAAAAAAAP!" or when Sebastian ran through the workroom in his muslin pattern. I totally loved the mothafucking walk off on the ferry.

Apparently strong female video game character = pants with a long jacket.

Renee's community warrior looked so different from what I thought it would be when she was describing it. I think it veered slightly into costume but not too much. It was still wearable. Maybe not something you would wear to go to, say, the grocery store, but still wearable.

Lela's white top and grey pants were definitely wearable/not too costumey. I didn't love the long straps hanging off the pants but I was just glad that someone made something that didn't look like it was a Comic Con costume.

I've liked Sonia for being quietly nice in past challenges but I loved her after she talked about how she got fired for wanting to make technical board shorts for women because she's right - why shouldn't women have board shorts that are just as technical and good as the ones made for men? I liked the original design she was working on so I was disappointed when she had to scrap a lot of it. The dress was fine but her fabric choice was an issue for me because it cheapened the design. The combination of the fabric and the collar plus the cape was giving me old school Star Trek vibes, like an alien queen from whatever planet they were visiting that week.

Bishme's red queen of hearts assassin gown was a little costumey, but I think if he had removed the crown from his model's head, it wouldn't have been as obvious.

Jamall's white femme fatale James Bond tuxedo was exactly as Christian feared - she looked like a restaurant hostess. There was way too much boob showing and she couldn't wear a bra so that was an automatic fail for me. That poor model. If he didn't have time to make the original top he designed, he should have at least thrown together a tank top or SOMETHING for her. If Garo can make a ten minute dress, Jamall should have been able to make her a ten minute top to cover her up a little more.

Hester's star jumper sounded HORRIBLE every time she described it and the finished product definitely pointed to her Hot Topic faux raver roots. I don't know how most of the judges insisted that it wasn't costumey though. I liked the pink and orange accents because as Christian pointed out, we need some color on the runway. I agree with Elaine that this outfit was tacky in real life, but I get Karlie's point that it would look great rendered as a video game.

Garo's fashion editor dominatrix was an interesting idea, but I didn't like the red jersey dress underneath because it looked wrinkled and messy. I want to hear more about why hammering leather helps. I guess it makes it softer and easier to work with? I also want to hear more about him working at the dominatrix house!

Venny's blue and white savior was not good. Between the cross on the leg and the feathers and the lace and the cape, it was so much and none of it was good. I couldn't believe he said that he didn't want it to go too churchy. But you're the one who designed it that way! I felt bad that his model couldn't fit the shoes he originally chose but I'm so confused about the accessory wall. Do they not have shoes in more than one size?

Tessa's miller's daughter character definitely stood out because it was so different. I did like her point about how this character did not sexualize the woman, which is a pointed departure from a lot of female video game characters.

I felt so bad for the poor makeup artist. I don't expect all of the designers to know the ins and outs of specific kinds of makeup, but Rakan couldn't give her any direction. Even when she offered a few suggestions, he just doesn't respond. How the fuck is she supposed to create a look without any input or direction? Even if he just gave her something generic like bold, sexy, natural, modern, ANYTHING. Rakan's queen looked better than I thought it would after all of his struggles in the workroom.

Sebastian's pink and white dress definitely came off as too costumey for me. Like who would actually wear that to walk down the street?

The bottom three were all pretty bad but it was time for Rakan to go. Hes been in the bottom too many times. He can't seem to adapt what he already wants to do to fit the actual challenge and he is not good at applying critiques to make change. He seems like maybe he's just too stubborn to take anyone's advice. Case in point: Christian telling him he was using red and Rakan arguing that it was bordeaux and then Christian reiterating that the zipper he was holding up was RED.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

Not going to get too hung up on the costume/fashion divide because this challenge was designed to straddle that very line, and the line is going to be different for each person.

Agreed generally with the top and bottom, except I thought Renee should have been in the top, too. Her concept was clear and it translated nicely to her outfit. I thought Hester's outfit walked the line between fashion, costume and kitsch with a nice sense of humor, but I can see how it would't be to everyone's taste. At first I thought Tessa totally didn't get the challenge until I remembered some of the designers talking about the Sims, then I realized that she was possibly the most original, going in a completely different direction than the rest. I appreciate her intent and she came really close to realizing it, but the final result was just a bit drab.

Rakan checked out of this competition at least one challenge ago, and maybe longer, so it was way past his time to go. Jamal can go next, he's another one who ignores the challenge parameters and ignores Christian's advice, which bugs the hell out of me. 

Was it Venny who just made a black tux suit? How innovative. Yawn. And yes, there's nothing wrong with cleavage, even boobage, but as the judges pointed out, one quick turn at the waist and she'd be out of her top completely. In some circumstances I'd enjoy seeing that, but this wasn't it.

And the less said about Bishme's Church Lady, the better. He's so lucky Rakan was there, his outfit was HIDEOUS, so tasteless it was embarrassing.

Loving the return of regular 2-day challenges, though! By the end of the Lifetime run and endless 1-day challenges, all the garments were ragged and unfinished and you had no idea if anyone actually had any technical skills at all.

• Love 4

Sorry, they all missed an obvious opportunity to be LEGEND!!! As Venny was describing his thing, all I could think was “((I’m not) Captain Save-a-ho!”

Edited by DrSparkles
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

They were already on a pretty tight schedule to create the drawings and then these poor artist were told, "Oh, hey, I changed my design so can you change this by tomorrow?"

As a software engineer myself, that was my immediate thought when they introduced this idea. I just knew that was going to happen.

• Love 6

This could have been a challenge to have fun with unconventional material (old electronics) or new technology.

I also felt that some interpretations where more superheroinnes than game characters. Depending on the world the game is set in, the characters are often dressed in regular stuff. At least in the games I play.

• Love 6

I'd have gone with Garo as the winner.  That was an awesome outfit.  Would they have liked it better without the whip?   The jacket was amazing, did not look like something pulled together in a day.  The outfit would work for a character and people could still wear it.

Hester I'm convinced has incriminating photos of the judges or something.  The outfit didn't deserve to be in the bottom, but it wasn't worthy of the praise it got either.  She designs for club kids no matter what the challenge is.

I'd have liked to have seen Sebastian's look in the top three rather than Hestor's.  I could see that outfit easily on a superhero or a game character...and on a regular person.  I really liked how it moved.

Actually, I liked Sonia's empath better than Hestor's club kid, too.

Jamal's got a similar problem to Hestor.  He designs what he designs regardless of the challenge.  He better wake up soon.

Rakan was due to go home.  

Edited by terrymct
  • Love 9

Ugh. While the right person went home, I don't think the right person won. Hester's was not innovative or exciting or anything to me. I don't get what the judges saw in it. The only thing I can think of is that the producers want her kitsch to stick around and they know she will need immunity to justify keeping her through next week's elegant challenge. 

While Tessa bugs at times and they are definitely making sure to get her going in the talking heads - I thought she should have won. Especially when she unbuttoned the overall part and showed more of the tops. She looked strong and the clothes were cool. A pop more color would have been nice but could totally see that character in a game. I thought she was pushing the costume too far with the flour sack but it did actually work for the runway. 

My two favorite looks were in the middle/safe zone which annoyed me. And while I thought Garos' look was strong - I am so over the default dominatrix as empowering women. And editors, we don't need to see him repeat the nina and whip bit multiple times!!! every time he said it it made me cringe more. 

I like the older woman with greying hair but damn - she needs to get her time management together as this panic each week is getting frustrating. She does great stuff and just needs to focus on what she can do in the time. This one was more model fit related but the previews for next week don't bode well to see any improvement here

Edited by slaterain
  • Love 13

I thought that I might enjoy this season, but, I'm done.  The judges are full of it with their praise of questionable designs by Hester.  I don't get it and think my taste is just fine.  Why did they have to ruin the season with what appears to be a conspiracy to promote this woman without justification?  I find it insulting. 

• Love 9

How old is Hester?  When I look at her in one of her costumes I think young...twentyish.   But this week we saw a couple of shots of her close up without her clown glasses and l  realized she was way older than I imagined.  Much like  Betsy Johnson who at 71 looks ridiculous most often. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 11
13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought that I might enjoy this season, but, I'm done.  The judges are full of it with their praise of questionable designs by Hester.  I don't get it and think my taste is just fine.  Why did they have to ruin the season with what appears to be a conspiracy to promote this woman without justification?  I find it insulting. 

I agree.  The fix seems to be in for the irritating and "special" Hester.  Everything she makes looks like bad Lisa Franks from the 80s, and those talking heads with her in her idiotic costumes hurts my eyes and ears (that vocal fry is awful).  Really?  Plastic in the pants cut-outs?  Wow, such INVENTION (not).  This whole Hester thing makes the judges seem like they are stuck in the past, gushing over kitchy bullshit which isn't even original, let alone stylish.   SMH big time.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, slaterain said:

I thought she was pushing the costume too far with the flour sack but it did actually work for the runway. 

I had the same thought earlier in the episode, like "flour sack? Why?" but it made the "character" look really strong and self-assured.

• Love 14

These judges are really full of it. Do they know how foolish they look doing this?  Nina on WWHL last night appearing all smug about the show.....please,  I'd be embarrassed.  Pitiful.  I wonder if they anticipated viewer backlash or if they care.  Who is producing this mess? 

The only place I could imagine seeing Hester's strong woman design would be for a Halloween costume at Party City. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7