Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19 Mass For Shut-ins

• Start Topic

The Kids Are Alright

Mass For Shut-ins (Season 1 | Episode 19)

8:30PM EST Tuesday | ABC

A concerned Peggy manipulates William into joining the church choir to keep him engaged in Catholicism after learning he's questioning his beliefs. Meanwhile, Timmy learns that the choir will be appearing on television and once again sees his opportunity to make his way into the spotlight. Elsewhere, Eddie and Joey are determined to get a hold of Led Zeppelin tickets but keep missing their chance.

Airdate: April 16, 2019

5 minutes ago, festivus said:

My favorite part was Lawrence and Joey laughing on the couch when Frank fell and Lawrence was like, so glad I recorded this for posterity.

Me too!  Too funny- and I think a bit of satisfaction for Lawrence - I’m sure he’s still miffed at Frank over the hair. Which actually grew on me this week. I still like it longer- and hope it comes back, but I could get use to this. Well, other than the fact that his shirt looked like one Davey Jones wore on the Monkees. And the hair... wait a minute! 

One thing is bugging me. Lawrence cut his hair last week, it’s still shorter this week. But boy was suppose to be in a cast for three months but was only in the cast for the hospital scene. That does bug me. If most of the episodes are suppose to be in the summer of ‘72 (except for Christmas and Valentines episodes) Lawrence should still be in a cast. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Marly Holley said:

One thing is bugging me. Lawrence cut his hair last week, it’s still shorter this week. But boy was suppose to be in a cast for three months but was only in the cast for the hospital scene. That does bug me. If most of the episodes are suppose to be in the summer of ‘72 (except for Christmas and Valentines episodes) Lawrence should still be in a cast. 

Yeah, I think I mentioned that in last week's thread. I'm not that picky about the show like the Christmas and Valentine's episodes being out of order but the cast thing bugs me!

Where did William get that theremin? I've always wanted one. I'll guess that Eddie found it on the job.

• Love 4

I loved Peggy's stained glass comment!   Will's turning out to be a better singer than Timmy.  Timmy is more focused on being a "showman" and attention.   They missed a joke chance, maybe in a future episode, I'm sure if Peggy heard Tim's version of Holy, Holy she'd have a lot to say about traditional hymn singing and how alternate denominations that clap along and update the songs are wrong (her take would probably be along the lines of "hippy churches").

Joey missed out - the scalping money is nice and he is an opportunist so it's completely in character that he got and immediately sold the ticket.   But I was at the Robert Plant Manic Nirvana concert with Jason Bonham on drums, it wasn't full Led Zeppelin and but he covered their songs and it was still awesome.  Seeing them live in the 70's would have been 10x better - If Eddie kept his ticket he got the better end of that deal. 

I don't know where William got the theremin but I'm surprised his brothers haven't thrown it out the window by now - the sound is sort of like bagpipes, you either love it or hate it, no in between 

• Love 4

I always thought Timmy was a bad singer ever since the first episode but got by on enthusiasm.

Peggy singing was a surprise and she was thrilled with the fan letters from prison. She was mean for locking Timmy in the room but for once I didn't mind her methods. William wanted to sing for the beauty of the hymn but Timmy just wanted to be on TV.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I loved Peggy's stained glass comment!   Will's turning out to be a better singer than Timmy.  Timmy is more focused on being a "showman" and attention.   They missed a joke chance, maybe in a future episode, I'm sure if Peggy heard Tim's version of Holy, Holy she'd have a lot to say about traditional hymn singing and how alternate denominations that clap along and update the songs are wrong (her take would probably be along the lines of "hippy churches").

Joey missed out - the scalping money is nice and he is an opportunist so it's completely in character that he got and immediately sold the ticket.   But I was at the Robert Plant Manic Nirvana concert with Jason Bonham on drums, it wasn't full Led Zeppelin and but he covered their songs and it was still awesome.  Seeing them live in the 70's would have been 10x better - If Eddie kept his ticket he got the better end of that deal. 

I don't know where William got the theremin but I'm surprised his brothers haven't thrown it out the window by now - the sound is sort of like bagpipes, you either love it or hate it, no in between 

I agree, it is Zeppelin! I would never sell that ticket! 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

54 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I always thought Timmy was a bad singer ever since the first episode but got by on enthusiasm.

Peggy singing was a surprise and she was thrilled with the fan letters from prison. She was mean for locking Timmy in the room but for once I didn't mind her methods. William wanted to sing for the beauty of the hymn but Timmy just wanted to be on TV.

I first noticed that William was a better singer than Timmy in the episode where Frank is doing yard work for Mrs. Strasser, and the two of them start singing after Joey and Timmy and William undo all his work from the day before.

I was a little troubled by Mike going along with scalping the ticket. Didn't we have a whole episode where he's concerned enough about Joey's "extracurricular" activities that he teaches Joey a lesson by scamming him?

I'm disappointed that the character growth we saw in Frank during the "Showboat" episode (still one of my favorites) has disappeared, and even Peg seems to have no respect for him. I see some serious psychologist bills for him in the future. (I also think he'll be the gay son.)

Was that really Mary McCormack singing? If so, I'd like to hear her sing more. 

I confess, I have watched a televised Sunday Mass. I always called it the "Mass for shut-ins": I didn't realize that that's what it was actually called. 

• Love 3

Loved this episode. Love William. Love his voice, love his timing.  I would love to see Lawrence and William having a deep philosophical discussion.  (Wish we had seen the conversation about Buddhism.)

It was nice to see Peggy trying to help a different son this week over Timmy. Timmy was so condescending to William when they were singing that I was glad he didn’t get the chance to be on TV - but poor William getting the stage fright was so perfect. Peggy sings!  

Sometimes I like Frank and other times he is just too much.  This was a Too Much week.

I can’t count the number of times I dialed for tickets in my youth.  

Of course Joey scalped the ticket- he talks about Sizzler in the pilot - taking dad there was  clever. - such good writing.

Wish more people watched this show. 

• Love 8
19 hours ago, festivus said:

Where did William get that theremin? I've always wanted one. I'll guess that Eddie found it on the job.

I have always wanted one too!!  I thought they were pretty expensive and was wondering how William got one.  I really like your idea of Eddie finding it.  Either that, or he got it a a church rummage sale. 

• Love 2

Also, I know cable providers vary, but if you have Charter/Spectrum, it's free in the On Demand feature.

No one has commented yet about the cuteness of Pat this episode!  His little plaid shirt with plaid underwear made me laugh.  Then he liked it when the low notes of the organ tickled his butt. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Also, I know cable providers vary, but if you have Charter/Spectrum, it's free in the On Demand feature.

No one has commented yet about the cuteness of Pat this episode!  His little plaid shirt with plaid underwear made me laugh.  Then he liked it when the low notes of the organ tickled his butt. 

Haha!  I loved that.  I love Pat in every episode, though!  William's reaction to Pat's "tickled my butt" comment was perfect.  I love him too!  And Joey, and Lawrence and pretty much everybody else in this show.  (Although I prefer a little less focus on the Timmy character.)

Edited to Add:  Timmy was quite the jerk in this episode, wasn't he?  I was happy when Peggy locked him out.  And his "This is the worst thing to happen to anyone, ever!" lament as he slid down the door was hilarious!  (So dramatic!  Haha.)

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Timmy was quite the jerk in this episode, wasn't he?  I was happy when Peggy locked him out.  And his "This is the worst thing to happen to anyone, ever!" lament as he slid down the door was hilarious!  (So dramatic!  Haha.)

I thought we were supposed to compare his comment to the crucifixion.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

I know, I think the point of making him sell his ticket was so that all of us who actually waited on line for several hours in the freezing cold to get Zeppelin tickets (like me in 1973) would yell, "Nooooo, you'll regret it!"  And yes, it was awesome and well worth everything I put up with to see it.  I was only 15 but went with a pack of friends on the train to the concert at Nassau Coliseum so my parents were OK with it.  My Dad did pick me up, though.  I didn't tell my parents about the contact high I got from all the pot in the air, LOL.  I was offered weed a few times but declined.  I was always a tea-totaler.  I can honestly say it was THE best concert I ever went to, and I have been to a few!

• Love 5

Timmy is my least favourite character. I'm just tired of the one note I want to be famous shtick. Timmy you're not famous bc you suck.

I know it's not real but I just have a strong reaction to him.

Really hope this show gets renewed.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, cleo said:

Timmy is my least favourite character. I'm just tired of the one note I want to be famous shtick. Timmy you're not famous bc you suck.

It’s weird but Timmy really is the least interesting character.  I am not sure if it’s the actor....because he is reasonably cute but Timmy really is one note.   Of the show dropped him it really wouldn’t miss anything.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I find it funny because as the creator of the show Timmy does in fact become “famous”.

• Love 7

I love that little Pat!  Hey ya, kiddo, I’ve been there too with trying to put my pants on over my shoes.  It sucks!!!  And now as a mom, I see my kiddo try at it and it’s like, just TAKE THE SHOES OFF! 

His skinny little legs kill me!!!

I also love the family getting ready for Sunday Mass.  I remember the days of that when I was a kid, everyone ready??? 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

It’s weird but Timmy really is the least interesting character. 

Here’s the thing - I think all of them would be too much if they were the sole focus, but there’s so many of them it’s just enough. I agree that he’s not the funniest character, but I do enjoy him when he’s interacting with his brothers. 

My favorites are Eddie and Joey. I also like Lawrence, but it’s starting to drive me crazy wondering if he has a job, and if so, what is it, and if not, why?!?

One more thing: I have never seen or heard of that thing William was playing.

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

One more thing: I have never seen or heard of that thing William was playing.

The Sheldon character had one in a Big Bang Theory episode.  (I think his younger self had one in the spin-off also, if I'm not mistaken.)   I believe it's called a theremin.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 3
On 4/17/2019 at 6:23 PM, Cowgirl said:

Little Pat, so cute in all that plaid. And the tickling. 

I think there was also a really cute shot of Pat peering earnestly through those thick lenses.

Is there any chance the actor will stay this adorable? 

• Love 4

I typically don't have a problem with inconsistencies, but I took particular notice of Pat's boxers because back then, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of boys wore briefs.  Plus we've seen Peggy folding white briefs more than once, and I kind of doubt she'd have different underwear for the various boys, especially the youngest.

But it looked vastly cuter than briefs would have, so I understand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I love this show, but I do think Peggy is too mean sometimes.

That’s the thing.  I loathe those shows with the super sweet let’s hug it out families.    Mothers like Peggy and Lois from Malcolm in The Middle are more my speed and far more realistic to me.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

That’s the thing.  I loathe those shows with the super sweet let’s hug it out families.    Mothers like Peggy and Lois from Malcolm in The Middle are more my speed and far more realistic to me.

In my life too. These mothers may seem mean and uncaring but when it matters, they take charge and get things done. Like Peggy running over Lawrence's foot. LOL 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

That, plus the fact that the whole thing is being recounted years later by a (probably unreliable) narrator.  Wouldn't be much of a story if he didn't remember the most exciting version of some things.

• Love 4

The theremin (the weird instrument) plays the theme of the original Star Trek series too.  

Moms, especially moms with multiple kids, often have to be hard asses.  It's difficult enough to keep one of those little buggers alive but EIGHT!  At that point you're General Patton.   

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 10:09 AM, SmithW6079 said:

I confess, I have watched a televised Sunday Mass. I always called it the "Mass for shut-ins": I didn't realize that that's what it was actually called. 

One year when I was about 9, we had a huge blizzard and though my dad tried, he couldn’t shovel us out in time. Mom: Joe, give it up. God knows there’s too much. So he made us watch tv mass then confess later because we didn’t have communion. 

On 4/16/2019 at 10:02 PM, festivus said:

My guess is that Frank knows a guy. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Joey. Frank would be freaked out about a guy who owns a theremin.

Yes, Joey. I typed the wrong name. But it doesn’t matter now because it’s getting cancelled. 😭