Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Jaime faces judgement and Winterfell prepares for the battle to come

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

There were a lot of nicely-written character interactions here, on the whole.  Brienne being knighted was a real high point for the character.

Biggest complaint would be that, however much John Bradley (who I increasingly think is the series’ best actor now) tries to sell it, that spiel about how Bran is the world’s memory or whatever is pretty much gibberish.  Okay, Bran remembers all this stuff, but basically nobody knows anything about him and he has no broader social function.  If he died, nobody else in the world would notice in that sense.  And it’s not like there isn’t already reason for the Night King to target Bran, as he’s the most powerful magic user on the good side.

Characters who got the “bitch, you ‘gon die next week” edit:

1. JORAH – hoo boy, he is so, so dead.
  2. Theon
  3. Missandei or Grey Worm – as they are both minor characters, unclear which of them is doomed by their making plans to sail the world on the Live-4-ever.
  4. Podrick – most screentime he’s had since like Season 5.
  5. Tormund
  6. Gendry – sadly, I thought he might live, but then Arya decided to tap that.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 17

I got kinda squicked out at seeing Maisie Williams's sideboob.  I know, I know, she's in her 20s, but I still sometimes think of her as Season 1 Arya.

What was up with Sansa giving gooey eyes to Theon?  I know she bonded with him during their escape from Ramsey, but lets leave it at that, shall we?  Not every male/female relationship has to be romantic.

• Love 22
1 minute ago, WatchrTina said:

But I did NOT think Jon was going to tell Dany the truth.  (But of course he would because why would not NOT say something wildly disconcerting to someone who basically flies her dragon by mind-control?  (Gods, Jon -- how have you survived this long?)

So...he should never tell her?  Because the dragon stuff ain't gonna change.

• Love 1

Gorgeous episode for the most part. Brienne being knighted was wonderful.

Was Tyrion saying that whoremongering was no longer an option for him (and not elaborating) supposed to mean something?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Wonderful episode that I know is going to set us up for the heartbreak to come. Everyone here is at their best, and reminded us why we cared about them:

1) Jaime knighting Brienne gave me all the feels. Best platonic friendship ever.

2) Jaime and Tyrion reuniting and reminding us that at heart both are brothers who love each other and their family.

3) Arya reminding us both why she's funny ("I'm not spending my last moments with you two miserable old shits") and why she's awesome (her getting her groove on -- totally unexpected but hey, nothing like an end of the world tumble in the sack). 

4) Sansa and Theon - two of the most despised characters in GoT history hugging and crying and reminding us why they are the way they are -- only they know each others' traumas.

5) Jon doing the right thing and telling Dany the truth about his parentage. 

6) Tormund being creepy at that End of World drunken party by drinking goat's milk.

7) Dany and Jorah having a nice moment.

8.) Sam proving that he might not be a great fighter but he's a great thinker AND he's bagging the hot Gilly

9) Missandei and Gray Worm. Heartbreaking.

Which is why I already know the next episode is going to be devastating. We saw every character at their absolute best. It's going to be a massacre the next episode, and I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

• Love 23

So many great interactions this episode; even between the Mormonts!

I suspected Jon would spill the beans before the end, since among all the folks meeting up before the battle, there hadn't been a Jon/Dany meeting.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, mac123x said:

What was up with Sansa giving gooey eyes to Theon?

Yeah, that surprised me too but I'm going to chalk it up to everyone's emotions being heightened pre-battle and also that the last time Sansa saw Theon he was a wreck of a man.  He had to be the LAST person she thought would come volunteer for the fight -- especially when he could realistically have argued that his place was at his sister's side.  So I'm calling her deeply moved by his devotion to House Stark.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 23

Little Arya... aghhh, I'm not ready to see you grown up!

Can't tell whether Dany was being real with Sansa or fakey in their scene.  She seemed at least partly sincere, but I still think she's trying to put on a front.  Hopefully she'll be more real in later episodes, especially after what she knows now.

I'm in the minority it seems, but I thought this was a bit draggy.  I loved Brienne getting knighted, but I did not need that fireplace scene to be as long as it was.

What I really wanted to see was one last bonding scene between the STARKS (including Jon) before the battle.

Edited by Brn2bwild
  • Love 9

This felt a bit like a filler episode. I don’t mind the character interactions, but with only 6 episodes this season, this seems a little wasteful.

The best interaction was between Sansa and Dani - lots of subtext. And it was a hoot that Sansa’s outfit looks a lot like Cersei’s black leather frock with the chain.

I am happy for Brienne’s knighthood, but I’m nervous that it telegraphs her death.

I’m looking forward to some action next week! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

It was a strong episode.

The Brienne knighting was really well done, especially with the nod to A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and the very direct reference to her ancestor. So I'll be reading that again!

The whole RLJ continues to fall flat for me.

Sansa and Theon look pretty together.

Jenny's Song. I wish I knew if those lyrics were given to them by GRRM or if they made up the rest.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Yeah, that surprised me too but I'm going to chalk it up to everyone's emotions being heightened pre-battle and also that the last time Sansa saw Theon he was a wreck of a man.  He had to the LAST person she thought would come volunteer for the fight -- especially when he could realistically have argued that his place was at his sister's side.  So I'm calling her deeply moved by his devotion to House Stark.

That’s how I saw it. I don’t see Sansa having a romantic interest in him at all. 

• Love 8

I also was surprised that Jon told Dany about being Aegon...I guess he realized he had to explain why he was acting so weird and not being as interested in the-last-night-of-our-lives sex as Dany might reasonably have expected. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

Sansa and Theon was really beautiful. If Theon was not so obviously doomed, they would make a nice pairing.

Sansa and Dany finally made up over Jon jokes and hopefully the bickering dies down.

Jon has apparently accepted everything Sam told him and moved on.

The show CGI'ed Ghost behind Jon for 2 seconds possibly because of fan complaints. Watch as he dies killing some wights next episode and Jon does not even react.

Bran remains Bran. Jaime continues to justify all the shit he did - correct me if I am wrong, but when he attacked Ned in the streets, Lannisters and Starks were not at war.

Loved the NW boys being together again for one last time!

Jenny's song!

And finally , Arya and Gendry! - definitely did not see that coming. Hope Gendry makes it out alive next episode.

• Love 6

That was a wonderful episode.   I loved that we had another “warmer” moment between Arya and the Hound.  The whole fireside chat group was an incredible mix of humor/heart (knighting Brienne).  

I didn’t think that Sansa was giving Theon gooey eyes, but that she fully understands that he is most likely to die by agreeing to be with Bran in addition to the fact that he did save her life.   No one can understand what she endured more than Theon,

I felt so bad for Dany in this episode.  She lays it out that she loves Jon, he gives her the cold shoulder, and then lays the truth on her at the end.  But I was glad to see it dawn in Sansa that WF needed Dany a lot more than Dany needed WF at that time.  

• Love 17

This was the best episode of the entire season. I didn't realize I wanted every single scene to happen until it unfolded in front of my eyes; now it seems as if the whole series led seamlessly to this point. Brilliant.

• Love 16

Wow, that was intense. I mean, jebus, that was intense. Probably the most emotionally taut episode of the whole series.

Arya and Gendry - I suppose we shouldn't have been surprised. Did they do it for the right reasons? I'm not sure Arya did, judging by their post-coital shot.

Arya and the Hound - slightly less anti-climactic. <3 his reminder, "I fought for you."

Sansa and Dany - wow, a lot of yanking us around on that one. They hate each other. They're okay with each other. They hate each other.

Sansa and Theon - who knew?

Jorah and Lyanna - perfect.
Jorah and Sam - perfect.

Missandei and Grey Worm just made me sad. All their sacrifices.

Bran and Jaime - if that was less of an emotional scene, it's because TER.

Jaime/Sansa/Dany/Jon - Something about this scene made me fear he's going to switch sides, if he survives. He's accounted for his actions with Bran, but he's still maintaining what he did to Ned and his men was a-okay. It was not, it was an escalation of hostilities that no one ever commanded him to do. Cat did something stupid in taking Tyrion, but no one declared war in that act's wake.

Dany and Jon - at first I thought it was a truly wrong move, to tell Dany the truth, going into the battle. On second thought, though, letting her go into war against the NK with that knowledge allows her to process it in the background and put the most important thing up as a priority.

Fireside chat people: great scene. There was so much going on there, but it was kind of amusing to see Jaime's reaction to Tormund courting Brienne, among other things.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SallyAlbright said:

So good, so haunting. SO many characters I care about and am terrified for. I'm going to need to drink like Tormund for next week's episode. 

Yeah, I was crying through most of the episode. I totally lost it when Jaime knighted Brienne. Oh, and Ser Davis and the little girl...I knew he was thinking of the princess. 😥

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

No did anyone get the lyrics?

High in the halls of the kings who are gone
Jenny would dance with her ghosts
The ones she had lost and the ones she had found and the ones who had loved her the most
The ones who'd been gone for so very long she couldn't remember their names
They spun her around on the damp old stones
Spun away all her sorrow and pain and she never wanted to leave

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Yeah, I was crying through most of the episode. I totally lost it when Jaime knighted Brienne. Oh, and Ser Davis and the little girl...I knew he was thinking of the princess. 😥

Oh, the little girl who was both the princess and a little Arya.  Loved it.
Tormond continues to be a hoot.  Breastfeeding from the giants teet

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Gorgeous episode for the most part. Brienne being knighted was wonderful.

Was Tyrion saying that whoremongering was no longer an option for him (and not elaborating) supposed to mean something?

Shae cured him of it. Also: Dany. 

• Love 3

You'll be safe in the crypts.  You'll be with the women and children in the crypts where it's safe.  I'll be in the crypts with my son Sam.  The crypts are the safest place in Winterfell...  Yeah, they're dead.  So many anvils dropping there.

• Love 24

I thought it was a great episode.

Missandei or Greyworm one's living alone.

Arya and Gendry, man makes me feel it could end 50 / 50 for either.

Sansa and Theon -  perfect, Dany looked surprised by their feelings towards each other.

Sansa and Dany sooooo close, Sansa wants to know her plans for the north, Dany pulls her hands away ; not ready to give that up.

The three Amigos on the wall.

Jon and Dany, I'm not sure which way she's going, Jon seemed a bit more firm to the truth.

Got more they will eventually come out.

1 question, Why is Aly Karstark at a table, equal to Davos, Brienne etc.?

Edited by GrailKing
  • Love 4

Loved this episode a lot with the heavy sense of doom and gallows humor hanging over all of them.  I just wish it didn't make me even more aware of what a shortened season it is.  I don't begrudge Arya deciding to get her some on what may be her last night on earth, but I also won't pretend it doesn't always weird me out a little bit to watch someone I watched grow up onscreen going there.  It's only slightly less awkward than watching your own child.

The drinking club around the fire was everything, and Jamie knighting Brienne was even more than I knew I wanted, as was her leaping to his defense in the beginning.  I love that he understood perfectly well just how much she did want that knighting, no matter what she said and that they seemingly forgot everyone else in the room for that one moment.  The two actors really do have such lovely chemistry.  Also liked how genuinely happy they all were for her and that she got even that brief moment to revel in it.  The collective "well okay then" at the guy who claims to fuck bears telling a story about suckling a giant before dribbling all over himself was a hoot.

Sansa acknowledging Brienne's judgment as good enough for her was lovely.  Theon comes full circle in wanting to protect Bran now after it was his attacking Winterfell under Bran's rule that set so much in motion.

• Love 20

Nice to see that Dany and Sansa can bond over how short Jon is.  I wonder if Kit Harrington has a complex about being surrounded by a bunch of people who are a lot taller than him.

At least Dany pointed out how incredibly convenient it is for Bran and Sam to say that Jon, their brother and BFF respectively, is the true heir to the Iron Throne.   Where's Howland Reed when you need him?

• Love 17
17 minutes ago, mac123x said:

What was up with Sansa giving gooey eyes to Theon?  I know she bonded with him during their escape from Ramsey, but lets leave it at that, shall we?  Not every male/female relationship has to be romantic.

I didn’t read it as romantic, but I do think her response was over the top. She’s guarded and reserved with everyone now and I didn’t really buy that outburst of emotion just for Theon, especially in front of Dany.

7 minutes ago, anamika said:

The show CGI'ed Ghost behind Jon for 2 seconds possibly because of fan complaints. Watch as he dies killing some wights next episode and Jon does not even react.

I’m honestly so offended about the way they’re treating Ghost. He hasn’t been seen since early season 6. Jon never even mentions him, we didn’t get to see them reunite, and now he’s just randomly in the background? They have never understood or done justice to the direwolves. 

4 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Arya and Gendry - I suppose we shouldn't have been surprised. Did they do it for the right reasons? I'm not sure Arya did, judging by their post-coital shot.

If by “right reasons” you mean genuine romantic interest, then no, I don’t think Arya did. But that actually made it more believable to me. Arya has been closed off from softer emotions, but I bought her wanting to have this adult experience before dying. She left her childhood behind in every other way so long ago.

• Love 18
2 minutes ago, stagmania said:

Arya has been closed off from softer emotions, but I bought her wanting to have this adult experience before dying.

Yeah, I just ... feel like she used him, a little.

• Love 4
Just now, stagmania said:

I didn’t read it as romantic, but I do think her response was over the top. She’s guarded and reserved with everyone now and I didn’t really buy that outburst of emotion just for Theon, especially in front of Dany.

Hmm I think it was an eye opener for Dany in that I think she thought people of the North were just naturally closed off and cold. It was a good dramatic turn for Dany to see how warm people can be with each other if they care about each other.  I think the warm reactions between Brienne/Jaime, Tyrion/Jaime, Brienne/Sansa, Sansa/Theon were just sort of surprising for Dany and gave her an insight on how much work she has to do to really be accepted into their hearts as ruler.

• Love 15

I'm glad that Daenerys showed that she was listening to people including those she was on frosty terms with, during Jaime's "trial". I'm glad that she listened to Jorah, showed she was mature and went to talk to Sansa.

I'm glad that Royce was polite to Daenerys. I wasn't certain he would.

I'm glad that Jon didn't mention the Crispy Tarlys. It does seem that the mountain made out of a molehill was just that.

Daenerys' reaction to the big news was in line with Emilia's interview re: not being the last Targaryen. Her disbelief didn't last long it seems, and she seemed more sad and upset about what it meant for her than anything. Both her discussion with Sansa and her discussion with Jon were interrupted, so imo it will either be a Jaime situation, or the battle is going to change everything, or both.

• Love 2

Loved most of it.  Shuddered a little at Arya & Gendry; it just wasn't hot and they have pretty decent chemistry so I have to put it down to the dialgoue.  There had to have been a less awkward way to bring about the same ends.

• Love 6
25 minutes ago, mac123x said:

I got kinda squicked out at seeing Maisie Williams's sideboob.  I know, I know, she's in her 20s, but I still sometimes think of her as Season 1 Arya.

He saved her, and came back to Winterfell, he remembered who he was and who his family is.

They shared a terrible incident together, that's a bonding moment.

It's not a romantic love, it's a familial love.

• Love 17

I didn’t see any romantic feelings between Sansa and Theon. They survived Ramsay, they share something not a single one of the others characters do. It is like Jon and the crows, Dany and Misandei, etc.

I kneeewn Dany would be pissed.

I didn’t like try Arya/Gendry thing, but I get it. You are 15-16-17 and you are virgins and you can die soon? Why not give it a shot?

Loved Brienne.

Loved Jorah/Lyanna and Jorah/Sam.

Never change, Tormund. Also, don’t die.

NCW doesn’t get enough credit for the fine actor he is.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, GrailKing said:

Dany looked surprised by their feelings towards each other.

She knows both Sansa and Theon but has no real frame of reference for them knowing or caring about each other that much.

1 question, Why is Aly Karstark at a table, equal to Davos, Brienne etc.?

She's a vassal of House Stark with soldiers to contribute; she has more than Davos or Brienne, frankly.

• Love 7