Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. Don't do it.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, paigow said:

They could have done a CGI face on a real body 

When I read that, all I can think of is that creepy, God-awful CGI baby on Twilight: Breaking Dawn. Maybe it's best to keep Baby Toddler Second-grader  Sam as Baby Sam!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I agree. I longed for that moment when they were married. He tried so hard! But she was young and afraid, so I excused her. What's her excuse now? Even though he's a Lannister, he's clearly on her side, just like Jamie is.

She was forced to marry him when she was 13. He may have been the best of a bad lot, and stood up for her a couple of times, but he was essentially her captor. He agreed to marry her, he stood by while his father plotted to murder her mother and brother. She is cordial enough to him and hasn’t tried to have him killed - she doesn’t owe him more than that, and he did no more for her.

• Love 22
8 hours ago, GraceK said:

Yeah because you seem to have feelings. Your supposed to feel sorry for her . This article sums things up nicely 

https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/game-of-thrones-daenerys-unfit-to-rule-plot-trap.html

She is totally isolated this season. She’s coming to the North with two massive armies and Dragons to help defend them and she is despised. Say what you  want about Northern Independence, or what She “ owes” people if she wants to a queen. Regardless, she is showing up with a massive advantage to HELP. And what are fans saying? That her armies really mean nothing because the NK killed a dragon, it doesn’t matter that she’s showing up because if she wants to be queen she has too because she it owes to her people , but then again, she’s only doing it for Jon so it doesn’t count and she’s a bitch who doesn’t care about mankind , only about  her boyfriend...etc. Sansa is seen as a political genius for looking at the bigger picture and planning for the future, AKA the North after the war is over . Dany however is looked at as a power hungry bitch for being concerned about the Iron Throne after the war is over..... um,  hypocrisy much? 

One thing I am looking toward next episode is finally seeing the  North fucking wiped out by the AOTD. Nothing will bring me so much joy as to see those racist assholes die by the numbers . The way they have reacted to Missandei, the way they have treated Dany...I will laugh so hard to see how they respond when they finally have to face the DEAD and see how serious  the  threat is and how they should have been kissing Danys ass for bring two armies to help.

I didn’t care for the tone of that article; it was very negative. Also I am tired of arguments that put down other characters (mainly Jon) to make their points and bolster up others (Sansa, Daenerys). I am a Dany fan, but I don’t feel she is being set up for major failure.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

I am a Dany fan, but I don’t feel she is being set up for major failure.

Me, either. She's off her game a bit, but that battle is bound to change things, when people see what she's bringing to the table.

I also don't get where the idea that someone will betray her is coming from (will someone tell the rest of us?). Varys was secretly on her side waaaaaaay back in the very beginning. Granted, he can be sneaky, but the show has no hint of it lately. https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Varys

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Uncle JUICE said:

Don't you feel like with all that jibber jabber in the last two episodes, SOMEONE should have mentioned "So how do we deal with our own fallen?" as part of the calculus?

Didn't Dolorous Edd say that whichever of the three of them was the last to go down should burn "the rest"?  (Or something to that effect.)  It would seem then that they are aware of the need to burn the dead (which would not seem to be the easiest thing to do in the middle of a battle).

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

I also don't get where the idea that someone will betray her is coming from (will someone tell the rest of us?). Varys was secretly on her side waaaaaaay back in the very beginning. Granted, he can be sneaky, but the show has no hint of it lately.

I'm kind of a Varys fan now, so I'm not sure where that's coming from either & I hope they don't go there. Poor Varys definitely looks uncomfortable wearing Northern clothing - he doesn't seem to know what to do with his arms now that he can't tuck them into big kimono sleeves!

Like everyone else, I'm mentally calculating who's going to bite it and who's going to survive next episode. To be perfectly honest, I don't really care for any of the Stark kids that much. I've become much more emotionally invested in the side characters (and CGI creatures), so I guess I'm SOL as they're more expendable! Crossing my fingers for my favourites Brienne, Sir Jorah, Tormund (comic relief) and especially The Onion Knight. I also don't want to see any more dire wolves or dragons killed.

I'd be quite happy however, to see Bran gobbled by one of Dany's dragons or pushed off the castle ramparts in his wheelchair. God he suuuucks. Just the worst. Probably the character that has simultaneously bored & irritated me the most for the entire series (and that includes doozies like Shae and the Red Witch).

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, terrymct said:

...and which of the characters who die will we then see rise up to fight for the other side.  Can you imagine how traumatic it'd be to see zombie Brienne fight Jaime?  Or vice versa?

23 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

Didn't Dolorous Edd say that whichever of the three of them was the last to go down should burn "the rest"?  (Or something to that effect.)  It would seem then that they are aware of the need to burn the dead (which would not seem to be the easiest thing to do in the middle of a battle).

I got that snippet as more of a "when it's over" sort of thing. The "burn the dead DURING THE BATTLE" is something they should have addressed, maybe they did, but we didn't see it.

33 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Me, either. She's off her game a bit, but that battle is bound to change things, when people see what she's bringing to the table.

I also don't get where the idea that someone will betray her is coming from (will someone tell the rest of us?). Varys was secretly on her side waaaaaaay back in the very beginning. Granted, he can be sneaky, but the show has no hint of it lately. https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Varys

In the last four episodes of the show, Varys has had about the same amount of lines as a third string bloodrider and Ghost. The story would be ill served if Varys suddenly turned cloak and then had to explain it all in some weird flashback sequence. I miss when Varys was a major player. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, LadyPenelope said:

She was forced to marry him when she was 13. He may have been the best of a bad lot, and stood up for her a couple of times, but he was essentially her captor. He agreed to marry her, he stood by while his father plotted to murder her mother and brother. She is cordial enough to him and hasn’t tried to have him killed - she doesn’t owe him more than that, and he did no more for her.

Well in fairness she was at that age eager for a marriage to a handsome nobleman.

He was more than kind. He gave her all the power he could in the marriage. Even to her it should have been obvious he had no choice in the matter.

This is not to say it was a good experience for her. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, paramitch said:

I love Tormund to death, but he has no chance next to this. Brienne has always loved princely types (if men of honor) and courtly romance; it's why she loved Renly then, and why she loves Jaime now. Rough, dirty, ale-drenched Tormund, as adorable as he is, just perplexes and repels her.

Yes, also even if she wants to be respected as a fighter and a knight that doesn't mean that she wants that to be who she is in the bedroom. The fact that Tormund thinks her being big and tough and strong is great, but doesn't make Brienne feel pretty/attractive to herself. It seems like it sort of reinforces her insecurity--maybe a bear would find you attractive. 

I guess that's one reason that Jaime and Brienne are so interesting together, that they both remind each other of the things they want so deeply and can never have that they pretend to reject them completely. For Jaimie it's honor--Brienne constantly tells him he has none and disgusts her and he laughs it off but is actually desperate to win her respect because she's so honorable. For Brienne Jaimie's got to embody exactly the kind of thing she could never have--he's not just a brilliant fighter, he's a golden lion, a handsome, charming aristocrat every girl would want to dance with. For him to see her as beautiful would be everything.

31 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Yeah, it seems like it's just a natural challenge she should be facing around now. She's spent her whole life trying to win back the throne for her family. So she *should* be facing challenges when she's up close to the actual people of Westeros interacting with rulers they know and trust. And even more so, of course she needs to be a ruler who would put the good of the kingdom before her desire for the throne. She hasn't failed this test yet by any means, but if she's a good ruler she should be thinking about it and given her history it would be unrealistic if she was already confident about it. Jon's spent his life loving and wanting to protect these people despite them not respecting them. He's in the opposite place from Dany on this question. But as many people have said to him already, he also needs to be able to own the title of leader and not just the temporary one warming the seat until somebody else comes back.

She could impress them with her dragons and power and make them beg her forgiveness when she saves their asses, but that's not the same as being accepted as their own.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Since everyone has grown  up and old I have one question:  WHY IS BABY SAM STILL AN INFANT?

The timeline{s} confuse me.

Maybe with all the inbreeding, he came out "special."

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Yes, also even if she wants to be respected as a fighter and a knight that doesn't mean that she wants that to be who she is in the bedroom. The fact that Tormund thinks her being big and tough and strong is great, but doesn't make Brienne feel pretty/attractive to herself. It seems like it sort of reinforces her insecurity--maybe a bear would find you attractive. 

From the start I thought Tormund was attracted to Brienne because of how she looks and now it's confirmed that he respects her as a fighter/knight. I'd hate to think she'd put herself and Tormund down thinking yeah right, I'm attractive to a bear.

From the start, Jaime made it know how unattractive he thought she was and he even talked about her abilities as a fighter.

Has he changed toward her? Sure. Seems he can appreciate how honorable Brienne is but if anyone reinforced her insecurities it was Jaime.

• Love 5

This is sensible, but my problem is this story line needs LESS magic, not more. Magic in the wrong writer hands becomes deus ex machina. I'm not saying ignore fantasy elements, but for real, this show did so for a very, very long time, basically right up until the 3ER stuff. It's too late now because they don't have time to set up enough ground rules. 

Well the rise of the NK and the sudden appearance of three dragons were said to be signs that magic is reawakening. But I've always felt frustrated about the handling of magic in the show. There were characters insisting that it does not exist anymore yet at the same time we have clear signs of magic working sometimes right under their noses.

And the magic itself is not consistent either - it's more like a force of nature whose intricate mechanism people don't understand yet still insist to manipulate. Which would be okay if that's how it's presented by the characters - but that's not the case. They are either infuriatingly cagey about it (all the Maesters), are perfectly capable of delivering shadow demon babies but are surprised when they manage to raise a man from the dead (a deed that a drunkard was capable of doing several times) or deliver some mumbo jumbo about being the world's back-up drive etc.

Not to mention the alchemy problem - is wildfire magical or just this world's Greek fire? And don't get me started on Qyburn and his Frankenstein experiment the Mountain. 

Make up your mind show!

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Well the rise of the NK and the sudden appearance of three dragons were said to be signs that magic is reawakening. But I've always felt frustrated about the handling of magic in the show. There were characters insisting that it does not exist anymore yet at the same time we have clear signs of magic working sometimes right under their noses.

And the magic itself is not consistent either - it's more like a force of nature whose intricate mechanism people don't understand yet still insist to manipulate. Which would be okay if that's how it's presented by the characters - but that's not the case. They are either infuriatingly cagey about it (all the Maesters), are perfectly capable of delivering shadow demon babies but are surprised when they manage to raise a man from the dead (a deed that a drunkard was capable of doing several times) or deliver some mumbo jumbo about being the world's back-up drive etc.

Not to mention the alchemy problem - is wildfire magical or just this world's Greek fire? And don't get me started on Qyburn and his Frankenstein experiment the Mountain. 

Make up your mind show!

You said it way better than I did. My point is if you want to have magic in your show, no problem, but you have to set up some clear rules and guidelines, otherwise you end up just using "magic" as a catch all problem solver when you get stuck. 

Though I can agree about Qyburn (...QYBURN??...He's not even a Maester!...sorry, it's a reflex now when I see his name, thanks Binge Mode's Jason Concepcion), they do have some allusions to where he figured out how to do it. Plus the way they use the Mountain now is one of my favorite things about the show. He's basically personified looming and shot like a classic monster movie. 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Affogato said:

Well in fairness she was at that age eager for a marriage to a handsome nobleman.

He was more than kind. He gave her all the power he could in the marriage. Even to her it should have been obvious he had no choice in the matter.

This is not to say it was a good experience for her. 

She was definitely hung up on snagging a handsome golden prince. Certainly there were much worse people she could have wound up in a faux-marriage with (as she would sadly soon discover). This was an incredibly awkward situation in which both of them needed to save their own skins. Surely she knew he was on the outs with his effed-up family. In addition to being kind, Tyrion was also clever and funny. She missed out on an opportunity (although very brief) to form a friendship & create an ally on the "dark" side.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

From the start I thought Tormund was attracted to Brienne because of how she looks and now it's confirmed that he respects her as a fighter/knight. I'd hate to think she'd put herself and Tormund down thinking yeah right, I'm attractive to a bear.

From the start, Jaime made it know how unattractive he thought she was and he even talked about her abilities as a fighter.

Has he changed toward her? Sure. Seems he can appreciate how honorable Brienne is but if anyone reinforced her insecurities it was Jaime.

It might be putting herself and him down, but I think she would still see it that way. Tormund has always seen her as attractive, I agree, but probably part of the reason for that (I wouldn't say the whole reason--I think Brienne is genuinely attractive too) is that Tormund doesn't subscribe to any of the standards of beauty Brienne grew up with. Nobody would want to dance with him at a ball either. I was calling him a bear because that's how the lords and ladies who laughed at Brienne would see him.

Brienne might have had her insecurities put to rest by finding a man whose beauty standards she already fit, but imo it's just as believable that she wouldn't. 

I agree that Jaimie reinforced her insecurities--just as she enforced his by always telling him he was such a terrible person. But that, imo, is why it means so much to Jaimie that Brienne does honestly see some honor in him. Just as I think it means something to Brienne to have Jaime look at her as something beautiful. It's not about him specifically being in love with her or wanting to sleep with her, but it is him seeing her as belonging among  people like himself, Loras and Renly. Those men are what Brienne sees as attractive. He's looking at her without irony and claiming her as one of the golden people. His very shallow nature makes it more valuable, because he's not being ironic or pitying. He's really knighting her.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, taurusrose said:

. I am a Dany fan, but I don’t feel she is being set up for major failure.

Your more positive than me 😂 I just don’t like what they have been doing with her character and I hope it changes. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s very possible I’m letting negativity get to me to much. It’s been known to happen.

23 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

Nobody would want to dance with him at a ball either.

Says who 😉

Yes Tormund is my type (and I don't mean just physically) LOL

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, GodsBeloved said:

Tormund is my type LOL

Some Wildlings are lucky because they're kissed by fire, others are lucky because they're kissed by Snow.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

I always love the music on this show. It’s one of a number of things that make re-watching a rewarding experience. To my great surprise, the song during the montage at the end got me to feel a bit of compassion for Cersei for the first time since her walk of shame. The expression on her face as she followed Jaime when he left broke through my negativity about her this time, when it did not last season. All owing to that great music. If that guy doesn’t win some big awards, I’m going to be, um, displeased. 

PS - just realized this may only be on the Florence + the Machine version. We missed a lot because of poor connection and how dark the picture was. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Baby Sam is his own uncle, and probably his own great uncle and great great uncle

His genetics may be a little off

Isn't baby Sam also the only surviving son of Castor? :Like all the other's are white walkers or whatever those things are?

Doesn't that make baby Sam magical/special? in some way? That has got to mean something -- he is the only child/son of Castor that wan't offered as a sacrifice to the White walkers.

Right????

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

It might be putting herself and him down, but I think she would still see it that way. Tormund has always seen her as attractive, I agree, but probably part of the reason for that (I wouldn't say the whole reason--I think Brienne is genuinely attractive too) is that Tormund doesn't subscribe to any of the standards of beauty Brienne grew up with.

I think besides his grooming habits Tormund is a handsome man. I think Brienne doesn't love him simply because she doesn't and she was already in love with Jaime by the time she met Tormund. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LadyPenelope said:

Except Tyrion didn’t know that Tywin had butchered her family. He had no idea what Frey’s cryptic, gloating message meant.  He also did not agree to marry Sansa; he was forced to marry her by Tywin. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, JanetSnakehole said:

I'm curious why people keep saying "baby" Sam... the long-legged kid in the bed between Gilly and Sam was no infant.

Probably because we never see him use his legs. Gilly is always holding him.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think besides his grooming habits Tormund is a handsome man. I think Brienne doesn't love him simply because she doesn't and she was already in love with Jaime by the time she met Tormund. 

But I think all this stuff is bound up together--the grooming habits is part of it. Renly was handsome, but he was also fashionable and well-groomed, knew all the courtly arts. 

I mean, Brienne herself doesn't aspire to just be kick ass like Arya, she wants to be a knight. Tormund says "fuck tradition" but Brienne loves the tradition. By knighting her Jaime is making her part of the tradition.

Of course none of this means that Brienne can't respect and appreciate both Tormund himself and his admiration of her, he's just not created to perfectly fill the longing inside her.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

But I think all this stuff is bound up together--the grooming habits is part of it. Renly was handsome, but he was also fashionable and well-groomed, knew all the courtly arts. 

I mean, Brienne herself doesn't aspire to just be kick ass like Arya, she wants to be a knight. Tormund says "fuck tradition" but Brienne loves the tradition. By knighting her Jaime is making her part of the tradition.

Of course none of this means that Brienne can't respect and appreciate both Tormund himself and his admiration of her, he's just not created to perfectly fill the longing inside her.

I agree. Brienne is basically Sansa, if she had the misfortune to look more like the knight in the songs than the fair maiden. But that is still what she wants, and Tormund isn’t that guy. I do hope that if she survives, she meets somebody who she loves and who loves her - Tormund’s leering and Jaime’s desperate need to refocus his obsession on somebody he perceives as good and honourable don’t really cut it. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

I also don't get where the idea that someone will betray her is coming from (will someone tell the rest of us?).  

Can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's possible because she's a contender for the throne and pretty open about it. Having someone spying on her would be possible. Also, Vary's doesn't have a real purpose for a while. Him being a spy would change that.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:58 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

This whole calm before the storm last night before the world might end episode reminded me of the last episode of Buffy (where some of the characters slept together, some of them played D&D, some of them prepared for the next day's battle) and the last episode of Angel (Spike went to a poetry slam, Angel visited his son, Gunn went to the Teen Center, etc) where everyone was in a similar situation - they knew they would probably die the next day in battle, so it was interesting to see how each character chose to spend their last hours.

Ugh I miss Angel so much, loved that show!

Edited by TvGeek
IDK how my comment ended up in the quote box at the bottom but I can't fix it lol
  • Love 4
51 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

I should say then that I think even if he were groomed I don't think she would like him. 

• Love 2

he way they use the Mountain now is one of my favorite things about the show. He's basically personified looming and shot like a classic monster movie. 

I LOVE this too! He's always hidden in his armour, but you know something horrific is underneath. And he always conveniently pops into frame to give people a jolt. It makes me giggle even though it's creepy.

• Love 5

I just finished reading everyone’s death lists and the reasons why some characters need to survive because their arcs aren’t complete.  It’s clear that most of the characters have a viable reason for killing Cersi.  Can we just have a Murder on the Orient Express finish for her?

also- Beric is a goner.  He is way past his expiration date. Cheated death too many times that one has.

And please stop with the Arya +Gendry talk. It’s obvious that they are not going to end up together. Arya is going to hop on a boat and head West of Westeros.   YMMV. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

I just finished reading everyone’s death lists and the reasons why some characters need to survive because their arcs aren’t complete.  It’s clear that most of the characters have a viable reason for killing Cersi.  Can we just have a Murder on the Orient Express finish for her?

also- Beric is a goner.  He is way past his expiration date. Cheated death too many times that one has.

And please stop with the Arya +Gendry talk. It’s obvious that they are not going to end up together. Arya is going to hop on a boat and head West of Westeros.   YMMV. 

If I were writing the show I’d try to mess with expectations as much as possible. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

Ever since Arya said she wondered what was west of Westeros, I've envisioned a spin-off of her exploring new words. Wouldn't that be cool? She could take the Hound with her.

I love the Murder on the Orient Express idea. It would be so, so satisfying. They all have such great motives. Jon/Arya/Sansa/Bran: For killing our father; Jamie and Tyrion: for trying to kill me; Dany: for taking the throne and breaking the defense pact; everyone else: for being a major PITA and beeyotch! LOL.

Edited by Andromeda
  • LOL 4
On 4/23/2019 at 11:54 PM, Chris24601 said:

Since everyone seems to be doing death pools I’ll give you mine based on story structure.

- Varys is safe because Dany can’t burn him alive for betrayal if he’s dead.

- Davos is safe because his deserved ending and dream is to serve as Hand for a truly just ruler in a time of peace.

- Theon: After rescuing his sister and his warm reception here, his redemptive death saving Bran will be the capstone on one the greatest redemption arcs ever written and will leave a lasting mark on all the Starks.

- Jorah: He has no arc beyond service to his Queen. His death saving Lyanna while wielding a blade in memory of Jeor Mormont would win him redemption in the eyes of his House and deprive Dany of a key advisor just before she’s going to feel the need to kill Varys for betraying her.

Gilly: File this under general dread, but Sam, Gilly and Little Sam all content in bed with each other as the song about dancing with ghosts was sung over it screams out that something bad will happen to Gilly (since Sam is safe) in the crypts. Gah! I hated even typing that.

We’ll find out in five days.

Hard agree on Varys, and you guys are bringing me around on Theon.

I'm worried for Gilly, because she's the only character we actually know who's in the crypts besides Tyrion and I don't think Tyrion will die yet.

I think Davos might bite it for exactly the reason you think he's safe -- because he's all about having a just ruler and being a good guy. I'm not sure that's the direction the series is going.

I lean toward thinking Jorah will survive because, if Dany turns out to be evil, I think his destiny is to stick with her until the bitter, bitter end, and then kill her like Jaime did the Mad King.

I also lean toward thinking Arya is safe because she needs to use her faceless man powers to become someone else toward the end of the story (maybe Ned).

On 4/24/2019 at 12:02 AM, DarkRaichu said:

I do not see both dead.  One needs to be alive so in the epilogue he/she can stand on a beautiful sandy beach alone reminiscing a dead love.

I think Misendei's future involves deciding to go home (maybe because Grey Worm is dead) and then finding out that Dany won't let her leave after all. Ever since she confidently told Jon that Dany would give her a ship and wish her well if she wanted to go home, I've felt like the opposite will happen one day.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:36 PM, DrSparkles said:

I just read a post on fb where someone wishes that Cersei is pregnant with a dwarf & that she dies giving birth to him/her, with Tyrion looking on!!!!! {prayer hands!!!}

Depending how long the timeline is for the rest of the season, I could actually see Cersei dying in childbirth like her mom. It would be an unexpected resolution to the prophecy or whatever. But I think things might move too fast for that to happen.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:15 PM, catrice2 said:

When Dany says the dead are already here she could be referring to the dead in the crypts and FINALLY realizing what all of us have said...the crypts are not the best place against people who are dead.....no doubt anyone in the crypts is done for. 

I think it's totally possible that rather than getting a "big" death next episode, the horrible surprise will be all the innocent people dying in the crypts, and then everyone left feels bummed about it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I'd be all for an Orient-express murder style too, so many people have valid reasons to off her.

On another topic, I'd be bummed if they killed Gendry because I have a fondness for the character. I liked that despite being Robert's son he still represented the common folk in a way. I know he is only a peripheral secondary character, and there is no time left to see the impact of his lineage (he is a distant cousin to Daenerys and Jon, after all) but bringing him back solely To be Arya's boy toy for a night...meh. 

Edited by Coxfires
  • Love 6
32 minutes ago, Coxfires said:

On another topic, I'd be bummed if they killed Gendry because I have a fondness for the character. I liked that despite being Robert's son he still represented the common folk in a way. I know he is only a peripheral secondary character, and there is no time left to see the impact of his lineage (he is a distant cousin to Daenerys and Jon, after all) but bringing him back solely To be Arya's boy toy for a night...meh. 

My death list changes all the time but I think for the story to move me, and for 7 seasons it has, certain players need to be there.

The Hound or Gendry need to be there to humanize Arya.

Arya and only Arya needs to be there to humanize the Hound.

Sam needs to be there to humanize Jon.  And no Dany does not humanize him.

Brienne needs to be there to humanize Jaime - if she dies in 3 then I will mentally write him off to Jaime Season 1.

Theon would humanize Sansa by dying.  So gosh good to know you Theon.

Thormond just humanizes the universe.  So if he dies this will be a hard slog to the finish.  And that’s the same as Missandei and Grey Worm.  Her death would humanize him.  

The rest are mental red shirts.

And it is still very important that no one just leaves these Valyrian swords in the dirt.

Edited by QuinnM
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

I think either of the Stark women could fill this role. The Hound cared for and served both in unofficial non-Knighty ways. 

• Love 8

Some have wondered if any knight can make someone else a night. In the Season 3 premiere, when Meryn Trant said Bronn wasn't a knight, Pod responded, "Ser Bronn of the Blackwater was anointed by the king himself". If only the King could make knights, there would be no point in Pod mentioning that Bronn had been knighted by Joffrey.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Where are you getting the impression they're racist? It seems like the North is more xenophobic than anything else. They gave Missandei a dirty look because she's foreign, not because she's black. They hate blonde-haired, blue-eyed Dany just as equally if not worse. 

I need more evidence than a few WTF looks at Missandei and Grey Worm during the progress, and little kids running away to say "they're racist." There are so few people of color in Westeros that I don't see how a structural system of "let's keep down POC" even applies.

10 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

This was an incredibly awkward situation in which both of them needed to save their own skins. Surely she knew he was on the outs with his effed-up family. In addition to being kind, Tyrion was also clever and funny. She missed out on an opportunity (although very brief) to form a friendship & create an ally on the "dark" side.

There was one episode--the last episode of Season 3, I think?--where we saw Tyrion and Sansa having a lovely, warm conversation, they were getting along wonderfully, she was able to open up to him. It was sweet and funny and lovely. And then someone came to say the Small Council needs to see Tyrion---where he found out that his father had orchestrated the cold-blooded murder of his wife's mother, brother, sister-in-law, vassals and hundreds of men at arms. And afterward they desecrated her brother's body along with that of his direwolf's. And they tossed her mother's body in the river. It's really not surprising that after that Sansa shut down completely.

3 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

After the finale I wish HBO would create a new prequel series based around Young Ned, Lyanna,Rhagar. Etc. there is a lot of story to be told. 

Yes! Shit, this is the easiest money ever. Sure, we all know the final results but the details--Rhaegar riding past Elia and tossing that crown to Lyanna, Jaime frozen as Aerys commands him to behead his own father, even the the stuff of Aerys's and Tywin's early friendship before Aerys started creeping on Tywin's wife and fixating on fire. I wanna see all of that!

• Love 16

Tyrion: Do you need help?

Bran: No.

Tyrion: You've had a strange journey.

Bran: Stranger than most.

Tyrion: I'd like to hear about it.

Bran: It's a long story.

Tyrion: If only we were trapped in a castle in the middle of winter, with nowhere to go

.Take the hint Tyrion. Bran's journey was so boring, even Bran doesn't want to talk about. It was so boring they dropped Bran's journey from Season 5

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, QuinnM said:

My death list changes all the time but I think for the story to move me, and for 7 seasons it has, certain players need to be there.

Brienne needs to be there to humanize Jaime - if she dies in 3 then I will mentally write him off to Jaime Season 1.

Thormond just humanizes the universe.  So if he dies this will be a hard slog to the finish.  And that’s the same as Missandei and Grey Worm.  Her death would humanize him.  

And it is still very important that no one just leaves these Valyrian swords in the dirt.

Jorah humanizes Dany, not sure anyone else does. 

This is a good way to look at it. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, QuinnM said:

Great list but I'd add Davos, because he rocks. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CeeBeeGee said:

Yes! Shit, this is the easiest money ever. Sure, we all know the final results but the details--Rhaegar riding past Elia and tossing that crown to Lyanna, Jaime frozen as Aerys commands him to behead his own father, even the the stuff of Aerys's and Tywin's early friendship before Aerys started creeping on Tywin's wife and fixating on fire. I wanna see all of that!

I used to think the exact same way: Robert's Rebellion would have been a fantastic show idea! Buuuuuut....it occurs to me now, having rewatched this show in its entirety leading up to the S8 premiere, part of this universe's big strength is the LORE aspect of it. The place feels so big and so real because these characters all know these stories, because they all share history in this weird way. I don't know, while I'd love to see the tournament where Lyanna Stark was the mystery knight (was that Harrenhal? I think so), or to see Barristan Selmy and Arthur Dane and the other legendary Kingsgaurds in their prime, I kind of like the idea of it being sort of covered in this mist of history. It's become my preference, to leave that section alone, and go back further. To put a bit of a finer point on it, it's the difference between seeing someone totally naked, or seeing them NEARLY naked but covered in the right spots. 

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I’m just assuming that everyone is going to die so that anyone who survives will be a pleasant surprise. 

A63D3A42-8851-43DB-AAE0-5AF474A84C70.thumb.jpeg.43525114acac5a22b9aa7b72e0cf0acd.jpeg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP MAKING IT SO REAL! I'm literally dreading this episode. I might need professional help as I've gotten nauseous at the idea of having to say good bye to the Brienne / Jaime relationship. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I’m just assuming that everyone is going to die so that anyone who survives will be a pleasant surprise. 

A63D3A42-8851-43DB-AAE0-5AF474A84C70.thumb.jpeg.43525114acac5a22b9aa7b72e0cf0acd.jpeg

Take the battery out of your smoke detector so the beeping does not drown out the dialogue of the next death speech....

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3