Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. Don't do it.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Wendy said:

I loved that scene as well. Sansa's concerns are completely valid and I am glad she voiced them, she has the welfare of her people at the front and center as it should be. I thought for a moment when Daenerys admitted that she had followed Jon only out of love, WOW, really? you didn't do it because of the real threat that the WW present to the kingdom that you want to rule but basically you dragged your troops and endangered your dragons because you felt in love? Maybe it is a Targaryen trait to make this kind of decisions. Oh well, it works to protect the North and Winterfell so more power to her. 

Also agree with you about Theon and Sansa, Theon has become part of the pack by redemption, he helped Sansa run away from Ramsey, but let's not forget that Sansa also helped Theon by encouraging to regain his identity, they saved each other. That scene was so gut wrenching. 

Honestly I this point if I had to chose I wouldn't choose either Daenerys or Jon, they both need a lot of help because they do not have the right education to rule Westeros. Daenerys has what it needs to rule some cities of Essos because they value raw power above anything but Westeros is different. My hope is that after the battle against the AOTD and Cersei, they both decide that no throne is worth that many lives, that neither of them is ready for the demands that being a ruler requires, they break up Westeros in 7 different kingdoms. form a council , Daenerys can be the Queen of Mereen and take Jon with her.

2 minutes ago, AnnaL said:

Out of the conversation between Sansa and Danaerys, this part was the most revealing. Danaerys admitting that the welfare of Westeros and specifically the North meant nothing to her, she followed Jon out of love. Let's say that instead of Jon, the North sent only Davos or Sansa, there is not one chance that Daenerys would have help them. Not a one, and this coming out of Danaery's own mouth. 

I think that might be why Sansa laughed, that admission was certainly very honest but also very stupid. For as stubborn and honest as Jon seems to be, at least he hasn't flat out say it. For the dragon queen to say something like that to Sansa who basically represents the interest of the north, it is very  telling of were she is at and how she will rule. 

She should have tried to embellish it a little bit, she should have said "I saw the AOTD and I was convinced that it was my responsibility and privilege to come and save the people of my kingdom defeat this great threat."  If I was a Dotraki, unsullied or anybody who followed her from Essos, that is a slap in the face. She has put them in the direct path of death, not out of conviction, not out of duty and honor, not for a higher call as a Queen, NOPE, she has put their lives at risk because she fell in love with a guy she just met few months ago.

I can't even imagine the outrage and the cries of GOT fans if Sansa would have used the phrase "Jon's war" , really? I thought this was the war from the living against the death. I guess I was wrong.  

One of my favorite quotes from a urban Fantasy series is this(paraphrasing): Often times, a person has more than one truth behind their reason for doing something, and they only say the truth that gets them the desired result they want.

Dany came to the North she saw the threat, and because she loved Jon.  I think she went with the truth that she thought would help her bridge the gap with Sansa.  It doesn't mean she chose the right truth, or the wrong truth. Its just the truth she chose.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Honestly, I don't think they going for the ugly girl trope at all.  I think its clear that Brienne doesn't seek the company of men and would never choose someone just because he gave her attention.  Just the opposite, she clearly is disgusted by Turmunds actions and behavior towards her.  It creeps her out.  On the other hand, she has loved two men her whole like.  Renly, whom she never expected anything from, but treated her with respect and didn't treat her like dirt because she was a girl who wanted to be a knight. And Jaime, who, thought openly hostile in the beginning, respects her and admires her.  I think that Jaime does love Brienne, but is afraid to love her. 

I think Jaime believes he doesn’t deserve Brienne so I think he loves her from afar but hesitates to turn their friendship into romance.  If Jaime is who Brienne wants she’s going to have to be the one to make a move.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Luckylyn said:

I think Jaime believes he doesn’t deserve Brienne so I think he loves her from afar but hesitates to turn their friendship into romance.  If Jaime is who Brienne wants she’s going to have to be the one to make a move.

agreed, but I also think that she doesn't believe that she deserves him either.  Which is stupid, because she is an amazing person....but she lacks self esteem.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, terrymct said:

I forgot to mention something I really liked in the scene where Theon arrives in front of Sansa and Dany.   He gives his speech about wanting to defend Winterfell and asks Sansa's permission.  The big hug.  Theon and Sansa get misty eyed.  I got misty eyed.

Check out Dany watching that.  Uh huh, Dragon girl.  No one in Westeros other than those you brought with you (primarily Jorah and the slaves you freed, Tyrion is more complex) feel any sort of dedication to you like you just saw there.    They don't know you.  They have no emotional investment in you.  ...  I wish she'd realize that and start to think about how to establish herself.

I saw a lot of commentary about how Dany was jealous of that. I'd prefer to think that she noticed it and is using it to inform her future actions. She sees the loyalty--does she know that it was born out of shared loss and sacrifice? (And torture) Maybe Dany will see that lowering herself in some respects--and showing how she has been brought low throughout her life--will help her earn the trust of the North.

So much has been made of Tyrion's former brilliance and fall from grace/her Grace. I wonder if his unseen talk with Bran will give him food/fuel for redemption. Talking to Bran (and listening) could prove the smartest thing anyone has done. Bran's knowledge and Tyrion's brainpower combined could yield solutions no one has thought of.

It also reminds me that Tyrion was kind to Bran in the early days after his fall, right? Bran surely remembers that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

agreed, but I also think that she doesn't believe that she deserves him either.  Which is stupid, because she is an amazing person....but she lacks self esteem.

I think Brienne doesn’t see herself as the type for romance because of how cruelly she’s been treated in the past.  If they survive the upcoming battle,  someone’s going to have to knock some sense into Jaime and Brienne to get these two together.  I nominate Pod.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I think Bran will die in the next episode.

What would a world look like without a Three Eyed Raven?  Unless he dies somehow ensuring the White Walker's death, a sacrifice of some sort,, that might make some sense.

19 hours ago, Kate47 said:

Honestly, once things get hashed out between Jon and Dany, I don't see it changing much. Dany has always been about that title, and Jon doesn't much care for it.

I can't picture Jon saying, or even thinking "I want the Iron Throne for myself".  It seems completely against his personality.  I could see him being placed on the Iron Throne though, maybe by some manipulation by Sam Tarly - similar to the way he became Lord Commander.  If Bran is dead, he'd have to do it without his testimony though.

If Jon and Dany both survive (which I doubt will happen), they can either marry and rule together (which would make me happy), or they can claim irreconcilable differences and Dany could grant the North their independence.  I can't see Jon ruling on his own unless Dany is dead, even if he does have the better claim.

• Love 4

Yeah, I can't see Brianne making the first move with anyone.  I'm crossing my fingers for a celebratory, post victory, unplanned kiss or something to kick things off.  But, I don't know.

I do like Tormond's open adoration of her but I don't think he's really not her type. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, LadyChaos said:

Dany came to the North she saw the threat, and because she loved Jon.  I think she went with the truth that she thought would help her bridge the gap with Sansa.  It doesn't mean she chose the right truth, or the wrong truth. Its just the truth she chose.

Thank you. Jesus, some people seriously cannot cut this girl a break. We all saw last season. Dany lost her child because of the NK. She pledged to fight before Jon even bent the knee. She obviously came North to help for the betterment of mankind. Anyone who doesn’t see that is just blinded by their hatred. She was trying to find common ground  with Sansa as a human being and by letting her know she loves her brother and trusts him. She does love  Jon and is putting in her faith in him. It’s possible to mean both things. This is the same woman who stayed in Slavers Bay and refused to leave until she freed everyone and now people really think she doesn’t care about anything but dick?  So insulting . It’s seven other seasons never happened. 

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 23
3 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I think Brienne doesn’t see herself as the type for romance because of how cruelly she’s been treated in the past.  If they survive the upcoming battle,  someone’s going to have to knock some sense into Jaime and Brienne to get these two together.  I nominate Pod.

Did you see Pods face when looking at Jaime and Brienne..... he knows..... Pod, the Matchmaker!

2 minutes ago, rmontro said:

What would a world look like without a Three Eyed Raven?  Unless he dies somehow ensuring the White Walker's death, a sacrifice of some sort,, that might make some sense.

I can't picture Jon saying, or even thinking "I want the Iron Throne for myself".  It seems completely against his personality.  I could see him being placed on the Iron Throne though, maybe by some manipulation by Sam Tarly - similar to the way he became Lord Commander.  If Bran is dead, he'd have to do it without his testimony though.

If Jon and Dany both survive (which I doubt will happen), they can either marry and rule together (which would make me happy), or they can claim irreconcilable differences and Dany could grant the North their independence.  I can't see Jon ruling on his own unless Dany is dead, even if he does have the better claim.

I don't think Jon will want the throne, he'd happily pass it off to Dany.  However, Sam is hardcore in King Aegon Targaeryen camp, so I think he might just tell everyone in a major way, so that everyone knows there are options and try to get supporters behind Jon.  I think Jon will only take the throne, the way he became KitN, because the majority want him.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

I wonder if his unseen talk with Bran will give him food/fuel for redemption. Talking to Bran (and listening) could prove the smartest thing anyone has done. Bran's knowledge and Tyrion's brainpower combined could yield solutions no one has thought of.

It also reminds me that Tyrion was kind to Bran in the early days after his fall, right? Bran surely remembers that.

That talk has to be relevant. It's either the truth bomb about Jon's parents or the dragon over KL. My vote goes for the later since it's the only one of Bran's visions that remains not being addressed so far. 

And thanks for reminding me that Tyrion had some interaction with Bran before this season. I think he had a saddle made for Bran or something like that. Bran certainly remembers but I don't think he really cares - gratitude isn't exactly his thing these days - just ask Meera.

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Favorite moment, Grey Worm and Missandei. Everybody else is convinced that they are going to die, but Grey Worm knows that,

the two of them will survive,

the army will win the war,

he will take her anywhere she wants after the war,

they will die together of old age.

Who would have guessed he is a true romantic?

I agree with that part.  Everyone else was running around talking about their last night, last chance , etc. but Grey Worm was talking about what was going to happen AFTER Dany got what she wanted.  I guess that is what convinced me more than anything that they are doomed...they were the only ones really making plans for the future. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I agree with that part.  Everyone else was running around talking about their last night, last chance , etc. but Grey Worm was talking about what was going to happen AFTER Dany got what she wanted.  I guess that is what convinced me more than anything that they are doomed...they were the only ones really making plans for the future. 

Greyworm is a Veteran officer who just announced he’s two weeks from retiring and moving to Florida.

He’s SO dead.

• LOL 9
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, Absurda said:

There was a scene of Tyrion pulling up a chair next to Bran in front of the fire but then it cut away.  We don't know what they discussed.

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

Greyworm is a Veteran officer who just announced he’s two weeks from retiring and moving to Florida.

He’s SO dead.

Yep!

8 minutes ago, Absurda said:

There was a scene of Tyrion pulling up a chair next to Bran in front of the fire but then it cut away.  We don't know what they discussed.

Tyrion wanted Bran to tell him his story.  He made it seem like a way to pass the time, and maybe an act of kindness (he thought) toward Bran.  But maybe he learned something that might come in handy in the future.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

Earlier today I've heard two YouTubers say that the little girl with the burned face that's supposed to remind us of Shireen could be Melisandre in disguise.

Woah.......... I've been saying she better pop up for this fight... And if she does... There's like a thousand ppl who will need to have words with her... I'm sad i saw this post... Cuz now im on the lookout 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, rmontro said:
20 hours ago, LadyChaos said:

I think Bran will die in the next episode.

What would a world look like without a Three Eyed Raven?  Unless he dies somehow ensuring the White Walker's death, a sacrifice of some sort,, that might make some sense

He has the ability to mystically appear near NK and distract NK long enough for Jon or Dany to release dragon fire upon the NK

1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

I nominate Pod.

I want Pod to marry Sansa.  He would treat her like a goddess and she would yell at him all the time and he would be just blissful, thinking everything she does is wonderful.

eta: I used to love Tormud, now I think h's a skeevy creep.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 10

I know it is a minority opinion but if given the choice of Brianne ending up with a strange man that loves her the way she is and is not afraid to show it or be his strange self, and a more attractive, possibly more exciting man that has been sleeping with and professes to love his murderous, lying sister (thus proving he has issues) then I vote for the former. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I want Pod to marry Sansa.  He would treat her like a goddess and she would yell at him all the time and he would be just blissful, thinking everything she does is wonderful.

Plus he’s apparently a great lover.  I ship it.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Woah.......... I've been saying she better pop up for this fight... And if she does... There's like a thousand ppl who will need to have words with her... I'm sad i saw this post... Cuz now im on the lookout 

Melisandre does need to come back.  I recall when she left for Essos, she told Davos (I think) that she would see him one more time because she had to come back to die in Westeros.  I am guessing she saw that prophecy in the fire (which doesn't necessarily mean she knows how to interpret what she saw in the fire). 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I can see a dual monarchy. It could be right there in the series title. Dany is impervious to Fire, and Jon's survived death on the wall (ice). Not a perfect metaphor, but it came from the thought that we know Dany can survive fire, but can she survive ice? 

After the rest of the Magnificent 7, Dany and Drogon left the North, Jon emerged from the ice water where he was drowning, without Longclaw and battling Wights okay. He was gasping for air, but he somehow got out of that.

1 hour ago, Chris24601 said:

He’s SO dead.

I thought this at first for sure, but then I remembered that they've been name-dropping Naath the last two seasons in 1/3 of Missandei's scenes. In last night's episode, Greyworm asks about Naath again where she provides a visual description and the desire for Greyworm to see it. We know that she remembers where she's from and Greyworm has no memory pre-slavery.

All this tells me, Greyworm has a higher chance than she of surviving, just for the payoff of a scene involving Greyworm seeing with his own free eyeballs for the very first time this thing she described (but has already seen and experienced). It's his for-the-first-time-ever reaction plus having no memory of anything in his life unrelated to slavery that makes me think that if it has to be one of them to make it to the end, it's him.

21 minutes ago, izabella said:

Melisandre does need to come back.  I recall when she left for Essos, she told Davos (I think) that she would see him one more time because she had to come back to die in Westeros.  I am guessing she saw that prophecy in the fire (which doesn't necessarily mean she knows how to interpret what she saw in the fire). 

Didn't she also tell Arya, that they would meet again one day? Plus if the new Greyscale girl is Melisandre in-disguise, that would place both in the crypts.

And the crypts are for sure the least safe place there since they said it was the safest four different times this episode. That leaves Gendry, Arya, (maybe Nymeria and her pack if that's gonna be a deus ex), Sam, Gilly, and Tyrion as the only ones who can somewhat defend themselves down there. Adding Melisandre to the group would be pretty useful.

Edited by Potanical Pardon
ITA
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think the opening scene where Sansa, Dany, Bran and Jon were all deciding the fate of Jaime was already breaking the wheel. Could you imagine Cersei or Tywin holding that kind of cabinet-like meeting? Not to say Sansa, Dany, and Jon are perfect people or perfect rulers. But none of them are "power is power" type people.

Hell. No.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, QuantumMechanic said:

The queen may have changed some internal rules about what the royals can do amongst themselves and how they treat each other, but in the modern UK (and probably since at least 1688) the line of succession is set by Parliament.  Only Parliament can change it.  The monarch can't unilaterally change it.

Okay dokey.

So back to the crypt - wouldn’t the dead each be buried in a sealed stone sarcophagus?  Presumably it would be extremely difficult for a skeleton to get out of one of those, as opposed to jumping up out of the open ground.   I can picture a scene where those down in the crypt suddenly hear a lot of rattling from inside the coffins...hmm, what’s that noise? Oh bleep! No, don’t lift that lid!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Best moment for me when John went to greet Eddison who just came through the gates and this blindside comes from nowhere in the way of Tormond being his always extra self.

Also, I asked this in the live posting thread but no response, Gilly looked to be covering a pregnancy does anyone know if the actress is pregnant?

• Love 5

Finally, somebody had the wherewithal to sit down with Bran and have a nice chat. Granted it was too upsetting for his siblings to do so. And Bran is still processes thousands of years of info.  He has talked to Sam, but Sam was a little weirded out by the experience too.

Now Tyron's "fall from grace" is due to the fact that his family is his Achilles heel. He had 3 members of his family that loathe him. And at least 1 member tried to kill him in almost every season. 

In order to emotionally survive his family and maintain his sanity he has needed to keep blinders on.  Hopefully, Bran told Tyrion that Bronn is on his way up with Tyein's cross bow. 

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Lady S. said:

I find it harder and harder to believe this weirdo has ever successfully wooed a woman, yet according to Hardhome he's sired at least 2 children. Wildling mating rituals must be very different.

I love Tormund, but yeah, that was an odd wooing tactic. 😬

Edited by ferjy
2 hours ago, GraceK said:

Thank you. Jesus, some people seriously cannot cut this girl a break. We all saw last season. Dany lost her child because of the NK. She pledged to fight before Jon even bent the knee. She obviously came North to help for the betterment of mankind. Anyone who doesn’t see that is just blinded by their hatred. She was trying to find common ground  with Sansa as a human being and by letting her know she loves her brother and trusts him. She does love  Jon and is putting in her faith in him. It’s possible to mean both things. This is the same woman who stayed in Slavers Bay and refused to leave until she freed everyone and now people really think she doesn’t care about anything but dick?  So insulting . It’s seven other seasons never happened. 

Totally agree. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BooBear said:

Both Jon and Tyrion know much more about Cersei

I've seen this said before and it still stumps me.  What did Jon know about Cersei?  The only time he'd been anywhere near her before the Dragonpit was in Ep. 1.01, and he had not been allowed to be with the family or to meet her.  He didn't learn anything about her at the Wall or during the Battle of the Bastards or in the short time before he left for Dragonstone or at Dragonstone.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

Sam is such a book nerd he would rather live in the Citadel for the rest of his life

If the NK is targeting Raven Bran because he is the keeper of all knowledge of mankind, the Citadel is toast.

4 hours ago, dragonsbite said:

I like the symbology of all the sword-swapping that has happened in GOT for the famous Valyrian steel swords, implying how Westeros is changing:

• Brienne & Jaime have the Stark blade (Ice remade into two swords)
  • Jon (the Stark bastard) has the Mormont blade
  • Jorah Mormont has the Tarly blade

Hmm, this makes me think that the people with the Valyrian steel blades will survive.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Potanical Pardon said:

And the crypts are for sure the least safe place there since they said it was the safest four different times this episode. 

Seriously. If an army of the dead was coming and someone suggested the safest place was the crypts, I would not care how much I "knew".  I would be asking for chapter and verse...

So you burned everyone?

How fresh does a body need to be to reanimate?

Are the crypts/coffins chained and locked?

Lets test the dragon glass or have a BBQ just to be sure.

3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

If they survive the upcoming battle,  someone’s going to have to knock some sense into Jaime and Brienne to get these two together.  I nominate Pod.

I really think if Jamie isn't forced to kill wight Brienne then Brienne will have kill wight Pod.

Brienne & Jaime have the Stark blade (Ice remade into two swords)

I thought it was strange that sword was returned to Jamie in Winterfell in front of Sansa, Jon, and Bran.  I guess Sansa and Jon at least don't know its origins and Bran no longer sees it as relevant.

• Love 1

Random thought, and a little detail I really loved:

After the pre war strategy session, where Bran reveals that he holds all the memories and stories of men and Sam has that lovely monologue about death and remembering, I thought it was really beautiful of Tyrion to sit with Bran and ask for his story. I'm sure there was a tactical purpose to it as well, but it felt like a way to honor the 3 eyed raven and his duties of collecting all our stories.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, Lady S. said:

I find it harder and harder to believe this weirdo has ever successfully wooed a woman, yet according to Hardhome he's sired at least 2 children. Wildling mating rituals must be very different.

21 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

Actually,  I'm gonna tell them the giantess story and then slobber beer all over myself. Chicks dig that.

20 hours ago, kelslamu said:

Tormund's story about the dead giant's wife thinking he was her baby was so out in left field.  I was saying, "Dude, that won't make Brienne want you!"  

By Wilding standards Tormund's got game. I've suckled at a giant's teats has got to be the most bizarre opening line ever.

• Love 5

There are definitely plenty of unanswered questions about the Elia/Rhaegar/Lyanna/Robert story, and I hope the shortened season doesn't mean it won't be explained more completely.  

I'm also still confused on the NK and his connection to the Three Eyed Raven.  Who came first?  Was the TER there before the CofF created the NK and can he see for centuries before that?  Or did TER and NK come into existence at the same time, which brings me to the question of who the old guy in the tree roots was before he became TER.  I would have appreciated more explanation of this from Bran when he told the war council that the NK wanted to destroy TER/history/memories of Man.  I'm hoping Bran told all to Tyrion. 

Someone upthread (I'm sorry, I forgot who) mentioned the WW all lined up outside Winterfell looked a lot like Targaryans.  I thought the same thing and wonder if that can really be just a coincidence.  I also thought they really reminded me of Lucius Malfoy, Draco's father in Harry Potter.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, domina89 said:

Part of the reason I really loved the scene where Jaime knights Brienne is that I could literally see the vulnerability on her face when he calls her forth. GC did such a fantastic job expressing Brienne's fear of being mocked again. Just like the dance where she thought she was liked and respected only to discover it was a cruel joke, Brienne scoffs in disbelief at Jaime's suggestion. She expects to be mocked, especially because its Jaime, a person that has taunted her relentlessly in the past. But then she decides to trust Jaime and instead of shaming her, he honors her in the greatest possible way. Her love and happiness just shone through. I honestly think that after this show ends, Jaime and Brienne's evolving friendship is the storyline I'm going to enjoy rewatching the most.

Beautifully said. God, she's such a great treasure. I LOVE her friendship with Jaime. "FUCK loyalty!"

• Love 6
Spoiler

So when Dany says the dead are already here...didn't both she and Jon come back from the dead before? Is that what she is referring to? 

Edited by SilverStormm
Tagged bc ep 3 preview stuff
  • Useful 1