Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. Don't do it.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, RandomWatcher said:

So Arya had sex. Anyone wonder if that was actually Maise or a body double?

I was thinking it was either a double or CGI’d. The glimpse of “her” breast was blurred or faded. Or maybe she had one of those body socks on. (I know, I know, CeeBeeGee... “had on” one of... 😛 )

• LOL 2

Assuming they all survive, of course.

That's the thing, just what could/would happen if Dany and Jon both don't make it through the impending battle alive.  If I was in that position to advise either one I would have just said to hash it out after the threat of the Night King and company had been dealt with. With the casulties that could happen,  I don't think either army can be expected to be in good enough shape to waltz their way to King's Landing and claim the iron throne for their respective monarchs immediately after the battle. Apart from that, so many moments that I liked. Missandei/Grey Worm making plans for a life together after the current crisis, the Mormont cousins, Bran/Jaimie, Sansa/Theon, Sansa/Dany and Brienne getting knighted by Jamie.  Too bad for Tormund, I actually wouldn't mind if he and Brienne actually got together when the series comes to an end.

Edited by AD35
  • Love 1

Hm.  

Me, I lol'd at the return of Jaime's sword.  Grey Worm's glare in that moment might as well have included him pointing first to his own eye, then at Jaime: "I'll be watching you, dickhead!"

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ferjy said:

I was thinking it was either a double or CGI’d. The glimpse of “her” breast was blurred or faded. Or maybe she had one of those body socks on. (I know, I know, CeeBeeGee... “had on” one of... 😛 )

That was the consensus in my living room tonight. Which was made, while we were all squirming agreeing we didn't want to see it!

"No no nononononono we've known her since she was 12!"

I guess she got all the spears from Hendry she was after.

Edited by Traveller519
  • LOL 1

I have nothing constructive to add to the thread but just came to say just how much I enjoyed this episode. My eyes filled with happy tears and few times. Not ready for this to end.

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Look out yall. Sam stole several books from the Citadel Library! We got us a badass here!

Very shippy episode all things considered. Gendry and Arya finally get their...weapon training on, Missandi and Grey Worm are so freaking cute I cant even, and Brienne gets knighted by one of her boyfriends, while the other one cheers her on. 

Lol, yeah, I loved that Sam included stealing books along with every life-threatening experience we've seen him have. Of course he'd view abusing his library privileges as a daring escapade.

Don't forget Sam/Gilly in bed with their son for the shippy moments before shit hits the fan. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

So.. This is the episode where Aryan gets pregnant with the future monarch of the 7 kingdoms... Gendry gets fully named a baratheon.. By Jon or Dany... Maybe posthumously(sp?)  And the baby being king Robert and Ned Stark's grandbaby everyone left alive do what they can to keep it and its mother safe... Arya rules as queen regent until it comes of age.. Jaegon Stargaryen is named hand of the queen.. Sansa stays in the north

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 7

Somebody point me to the spoilers. No way I think Grey Work and Missandei are having a happy ending, but lord, I do want him to make it to the last episode!   And Jorah...Jorah was the best man for Dany.    I would also like to see the little girl do something heroic. 

I came late to the series, but I just don't get the Jon Snow love.  He is actually one of the weakest actors to me and a boring character.  I'll just be happy not to see Bran staring. 

Although I understand adrenaline, I think that if you are preparing for a long battle you would try and get some sleep to have some stamina. 

Just rewatching...do they darken Jacob Anderson for this role?  Maybe it is my screen but he looks bigger and darker than normal...like he's put on a lot of weight. 

Very little has been said about how Dany will feel fighting her own dragon.  In fact, even though Bran mentioned it, no one seems to really be planning for that...which I find odd.  You would think there would be a conversation, especially when John spoke about needing to be near Bran with the dragons. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Does anyone else think that Ghost was added as an afterthought?  That when the scene was filmed, they weren't sure whether he would be able to make an appearance and that's why no one referred to him being there?  It was so strange, I thought.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, catrice2 said:

The look on everyone's face with the giant's milk story is priceless.

I find it harder and harder to believe this weirdo has ever successfully wooed a woman, yet according to Hardhome he's sired at least 2 children. Wildling mating rituals must be very different.

• LOL 15
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I could not help but notice that Grey Worm’s uniform pants show that his actor is most certainly not Unsullied.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who noticed that. Costume department needed to go with different pants to disguise his Jon Hamm better!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

... I'm thinking that really was Maisie's side-boob and upper crack? (I don't know how to feel about that either.)

Williams says the showrunners let her decide precisely how much to show. “David and Dan were like: ‘You can show as much or as little as you want,’” Williams says. “So I kept myself pretty private. I don’t think it’s important for Arya to flash. This beat isn’t really about that. And everybody else has already done it on the show, so… “

Still, when it came time to film the encounter, Williams had to be naked-ish on set, and that was a naturally a bit awkward. “In the beginning, everyone was really respectful,” she says. “No one wants to make you feel uncomfortable which kind of makes you feel more uncomfortable, because no one wants to look at anything that they shouldn’t look at which in turn makes you feel like you look awful because everyone is kind of like—“ [Williams averts her eyes]. “You want people to act more normal.”

Maisie Williams discusses Arya’s surprise Gendry scene

• Love 12

Ok, so this was a 100% set up/wish fulfillment episode, fine. I'm ready for epic battles now, thanks. 

Sansa and Jon being conveniently dumb for the plot again. Yes, we should definitely ask the woman who dropped her claim to rush up here with her dragons and armies to save the North's ass if she promises to gtfo immediately afterwards. Now, girl? Really?

And immediately afterwards Jon decides be all like 'hahaha, I'm actually the true heir, gotcha!' Everyone already knows each other except Dany. For all she knows this was an elaborate trap to get her killed fighting the Night King and have the Surprise! Targaryen! pop out of his kinderegg and take over everything. Now, dude? Really?

Theon getting a warm welcome home from Sansa punched me straight in the feels. Though, realistically, dude should have been hiding out a dung heap somewhere waiting for her to walk by. No way he wouldn't have been immediately gutted by the people who remember what he did during the first sacking of Winterfell. Nevermind bringing fresh from the swamp Ironborn in with him.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Hm.  

Me, I lol'd at the return of Jaime's sword.  Grey Worm's glare in that moment might as well have included him pointing first to his own eye, then at Jaime: "I'll be watching you, dickhead!"

I had a laugh at Grey Worm glaring at Jaime. Finally, someone with a brain. Ha. How easily they accepted Jaime and allowed him to run loose around Winterfell was ridiculous.

Edited by SimoneS
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Drogo said:

Brienne gets a standing "O" from the Giantsbane

That really made the scene even more cheesily heartwarming. He wasn't jealous of whatever she has going on with Jaime, just thrilled to see her so happy. (Or maybe he really didn't pick up on her vibes with Jaime, really can't say with him.)

Edited by Lady S.
  • Love 23

LOL at Grey Worm and Missandei planning to give their 2 weeks notice. (That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works!)

3 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

That really made the scene even more cheesily heartwarming. He wasn't jealous of whatever she has going on with Jaime, just thrilled to see her so happy. (Or maybe he really didn't pick up on her vibes with Jaime, really can't say with him.)

Definitely- that was some earnest and proud applause. Loved Tormund and Pod in this scene. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Hava said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but neither Jaime nor Brienne have been characters I've warmed to, so many of the moments that resonated with others did not resonate with me.  

BUT, the Theon and Sansa moment was unexpectedly the most emotional moment of the episode for me! Such a beautiful reunion. I've always liked Theon even if I was disappointed by his actions. Seeing him back in his true home just feels so right.

How old is Arya supposed to be? I felt uncomfortable with the sex scene. 

OMG me too! I still think of her as a child.

Edited by xls
for some reason the page reloaded
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I can't believe so many liked this episode

I feel like this episode and the first one from last week easily could have been combined into one.  

It was a Game of Thrones bottle episode.   They played it cheap this week, padding the hour with repetitive reunions and the Winterfell version of an Irish wake so they could funnel the budget into the upcoming battle.

This show prides itself on being unpredictable and refusing to pander to formula, but letting the clock run out on this episode before the battle begins was about as formulaic as it gets.  A cheap ploy. 

Ultimately another huge disappointment, right on the heels of what was previously the most disappointing episode in the series.  

Has everyone at Winterfell forgotten the enemy has a dragon now?   I didn't hear a word about strategy to defend Winterfell from the ice dragon -- or for that matter how to prevent the other two dragons from suffering the same fate as their fallen sibling.  Jon's big lecture -- they don't tire, they don't die, etc. -- made no mention that a dragon was even part of the equation. 

They sure are milking a lot of mileage out of Jon's birthright.   Big reveal in Season 7 episode 7: We learn John is a Targaryen.  Big reveal in Season 8 Episode 1: John learns he is a Targaryen.  Big reveal in Season 8 Episode 2: Dany learns John is a Targaryen.   

For a moment I wondered if Gendry might ask Arya to put on another face before having sex with her.

Just ugh to the whole thing, even the Shireen stand-in pulling on Davos's heart strings.  About as tropey as it gets.

Edited by millennium
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8

One of my recurring complaints about S7 was that the plot moved so fast we didn't get to see a lot of interaction between the characters. Tonight's episode filled that void for me, even if it was sixty minutes of pure filler and fan service. 

• Love 22
2 hours ago, kieyra said:

I’m finding it all very watered down/dumbed down, like they know there are all these beats they have to hit and they’re just checking them off a list, with no nuance and no eye to writing particularly compelling dialogue, 

I think there are necessary beats to hit, though, in order to complete each character’s story— or at least the main characters. I don’t see it as fan service, I think it’s responsible writing. Nobody wants to have a bunch of stuff left hanging. So in that respect, I think this was a fantastic episode. 

But as it seemed to bring certain character arcs to a close, it made me particularly nervous about those characters. For example, Jaime. His arc was mostly about redemption, and I think he has fully achieved that now. He doesn’t need to kill Cersei; Tyrion can do that. I think Jaime’s done.

And Brienne: she has finally achieved the respect of her peers, and fulfilled her heart’s goal. I think Brienne’s done.

I hope I’m wrong on both counts.

As I watched Greyworm and Missandei, I had a feeling that when all is said and done, these could be the last two left standing. 

2 hours ago, aprilbabe said:

Am I the only one who doesn't see Danerys as having mad queen tendencies. People keep saying it, but I don't see it. 

Nor do I. She is ambitious, determined, and decisive. That’s not mad, it’s strong-willed. As for her focusing on Jon’s claim to the throne rather than what it means for her love life, well, of course she did. Dany has always put her career first. Romance is nice, but it’s secondary to her. 

37 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Actually,  I'm gonna tell them the giantess story and then slobber beer all over myself. Chicks dig that.

This was hilarious. NOT the way to win Brienne’s heart, dummy.

I would so love to see a spin-off, Road Adventures with Arya and the Hound. That’s the couple I will miss most of all.

Finally...GHOOOOST! Hope that final glimpse doesn’t mean he’s done, too.

• Love 17

Beautiful episode. It really did seem like one big final goodbye to half of the characters. 

Gendry is totally going to be wightified and Arya is going to have to kill him. 

Gendry,Jorah,Theon,Podrick,GreyWorm,Tormund,Edd, and Beric are my predictions for the Deadpool. Bran is a possibility, but I think he survives. Jaime isn’t going to die before crossing paths with Cersei again. Brienne is a possibility, but I think there is still more to her story with Jaime. 

The big question is whether the NK and the AOTD will be defeated next episode, and my hope is they will be. I want the series to wrap with the Game Of Thrones, not the Long Night. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm okay with Jon telling her, I just didn't think right before they're heading into the literal battle of their lives was the time to do it. He didn't have to lie in that moment, he could've simply not responded to her statement. As far Dany wanting one last roll in the hay before the war begins, he could've deflected. I'm sure she would've had no problem feigning a headache if the situation were reversed.

Right? It's distracting, that's all--they're gearing up for this nihilistic fight, it's distracting. Tell her when/if you both survive.

2 hours ago, kieyra said:

No way Jamie dies in this imminent battle, no. My money is on him being the one to put Cersei down in the end. Their arc isn’t over yet. 

I reallyreallyREALLY want either him, Tyrion or Arya wearing a face to take out Cersei.

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Very little has been said about how Dany will feel fighting her own dragon.  In fact, even though Bran mentioned it, no one seems to really be planning for that...which I find odd.  You would think there would be a conversation, especially when John spoke about needing to be near Bran with the dragons. 

I am so stressed about this! I thought they dropped the ball last season--poor Viserion was killed right in front of her and they didn't show her mourning at all? That was a significant moment for her. (And me. I'm still so, so sad they a member of an endangered species was killed. And will now be weaponized against its mother.) Anyway, YES, Dany, you will be riding Drogon and fighting against your other baby. THIS MATTERS. Writers, take note.

Meant to add--none of us are prepared. We are all so fucked for next week. This is 2011 Mark Reads Harry Potter realness. Remember when he read the GOF graveyard scene? "Cedric was a Hufflepuff!!!!!!" You are not prepared.

Edited by CeeBeeGee
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, Lady S. said:

I find it harder and harder to believe this weirdo has ever successfully wooed a woman, yet according to Hardhome he's sired at least 2 children. Wildling mating rituals must be very different.

I think Wildling culture is vastly different. I think a Wildling woman would be impressed with him because of that story. I think he's also trying so hard to impress Brienne that he doesn't realize non Wildling women don't find that impressive.

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, CeeBeeGee said:

I reallyreallyREALLY want either him, Tyrion or Arya wearing a face to take out Cersei.

I’ve forgotten, was Cersei #1 on Arya’s list? Because if so, it could very well be Arya who brings her down. Arya’s list was mentioned tonight, and I’m sure that wasn’t accidental.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

Actually,  I'm gonna tell them the giantess story and then slobber beer all over myself. Chicks dig that.

Worked for me. I'd still do him.

Might ask him to take a bath first, though. Stale ale, ugh. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Wonder if Dani will seek out Sam and torture him for the books he stole from the citadel. lol  Then Jon Snow can prove nothing.  lol  There are just so many ways this could go.  Waiting for a week is just entirely too much!

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I’ve forgotten, was Cersei #1 on Arya’s list? Because if so, it could very well be Arya who brings her down. Arya’s list was mentioned tonight, and I’m sure that wasn’t accidental.

Her #1 was already killed at the Purple Wedding. Of the few left, Cersei would be #1 by default as the only big name left.

Y'all, I'm really worried about Pod. We got to see him fighting well in practice now, possibly setting up a heroic death, and he got the spotlight singing a mournful ballad. Edd also feels like he may have reached his expiration date. Beric definitely has. The recurring supporting characters are much more expendable than the main cast, but I guess if I survived Osha's and Hodor's deaths I can get through any of them.

• Love 6

Based on how the show has been portraying the characters through 2 episodes:

- I don't feel like Jon is getting the "rightful king" edit.  If anything, he seems passive and sheepish, basically hiding out for most of the episode.  We see very little from his point of view.

- Dany seems to be getting a "ruler who needs to learn" edit.  She came in cold and distant and is trying to win people over/make people accept her.  She didn't just "OR ELSE" Sansa, as she seemed to imply that she would do in the last episode.  Instead she acted frustrated, but nothing more.  I think she will show her stuff in the battle to come and the ice will melt (pun intended) between her and the North.

- It will probably end with Jon renouncing the crown, Dany taking it, but then Dany marrying Jon so they both get to rule anyway.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I knew they were going to end with Jon dropping the Targaryen bomb. I told ya Dany would be more concerned about being usurped than incest.

Plenty of us said that would be this case.

I was cool with Arya and Gendry. She is A Woman now, and all that.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 7