Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E12: Top 14

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I was amused by how often they kept having to stress how everyone was "just killing it" throughout. I was like, "Gee, I hope none of the contestants from prior seasons are hearing this....". 

I fully agree we need some actual critiquing going on here. Even if it's not Simon-level, there's gotta be something. 

I remember being annoyed last season when they blew smoke up everyone's behinds for nearly the whole season and then all of a sudden one week decided to be critical and it was super weird for everyone. It doesn't help these contestants for the judges to be falling down pretending to need to be resuscitated after EVERY.SINGLE.PERFORMANCE in week 1. These are the weeks when they really need some helpful critiques to help improve their future performances. They don't need to go all Simon on everyone and start throwing around borderline hurtful insults but even J-Lo and Paula offered more constructive criticism than this bunch does. 

• Love 5

I cannot describe any specific incidents, but I also dislike the way Katy Perry has been overtly flirtatious with some of the contestants. There are things she did where I thought if a male judge had done that to a female contestant, it would have raised concerns.  I wish I could give an example. It was earlier in the season, during try-outs.. and IIRC maybe a few incidents last season too. Its another reason I mostly fast-forward through everything except the actual singing.

• Love 2

The cut down to the top 10 should be interesting.  I hope the judges realize that the audience is the audience and you get what you get.   That's how you get Taylor Hicks.....that's how you get Bobby Bones.   If these contestants choose crappy songs that don't get the audience to connect then that's on them.

• Love 2

I'm late to the party but here are my thoughts anyway:

Laine - Elvis' rockabilly phase really suits him.  That was great.

Evelyn - I still love her voice but that was not the right song for it.

Alyssa - great voice but bland performance

Eddie - this was not good, there were some harsh notes in there

Riley - some flat notes and this song is too old for her

Wade - shoulda been a great song for him but it wasn't, seemed like he was swallowing some of his notes

Dimitrius - this went terribly wrong in the chorus (props for liking opera - I used to have season tickets for the Baltimore Opera Company at the Lyric)

Madison - shoulda stayed at the piano, vocals got spotty when she started moving around

Jeremiah - the song was not my cuppa, but there's such a purity and richness to his voice that it worked somehow

Uche' - sounded congested to me, vocals were weak, he's more of a performer than a singer

Alejandro - something different for him but the vocals were weaker than usual

Ashley - plaintiveness of her voice suited the song but not her best vocal

Laci - liked the smokiness of her tone on this but it wasn't her best, she needed to enuciate better

Walker - interesting choice for a non-theme night, a little flat in places but good range on the end

I'd have kept Laine, Madison, Evelyn, Jeremiah, Walker, Laci, Ashley, Alyssa, I guess, maybe Wade, and Uche' simply because he isn't boring

I'm extra late to this party this week because I was too busy to watch before now, but I'm going to put my thoughts down anyway. 🙂

Laine-Great way to start the show, but I hope he doesn't totally go down the Elvis road.

Evelyn-OMG, that was absolutely horrible! Once again, she butchered one of my favorite songs 😞 .

Alyssa-She has an incredibly mature voice for her age. Dang, that was good.

Eddie-Not impressed. Can he please be gone now?

Riley-Eh, there's just something about her that bugs me...

Wade-Oy vey, he's the third singer in a row that I don't care for 😖.

Dimitrius-He's an opera singer? Really? Dang. I'm not sure if that's a plus or minus for this competition, but that performance should get him to the top 10.

Madison-Wow. So far, the best of the night!

Jeremiah-While he definitely has an impressive voice, I just don't think he fits in with this show <shrug>.

Uche-He's definitely a performer with a great stage presence. His singing, however, leaves something to be desired.

Alejandro-That was weird. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. His voice was kind of over-powered by the music, and he looks like he doesn't feel like he belongs there.

Ashley-Another impressive performance for her. I'll say it again-dang, she's good!

Laci-On the superficial side again, at least her eyelashes are better.  I still don't see why the judges think she's so great, she's just meh to me.

Walker-There's just something about him that I really like. I'm not sure about his song choice, though, it may hurt him.

If I got to pick the four leaving it would be Evelyn, Eddie, Wade, and either Riley or Laci.

On 4/14/2019 at 9:07 PM, LilaFowler said:

Evelyn was atrocious, absolutely horrible. If she doesn't go home, I just don't know. I think that was the worst-sounding performance that I've heard on this show in a long time.

I want to be able to like this x1000!