Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: Tell All: Part 1

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Yeah but they can get married. She's not going to even give Dayton the opportunity to meet anyone, he'll be there until she dies. 

ETA - sorry I misunderstood! I thought you were referring to Robyn's daughters.

No, I agree that Robyn will keep her ADULT kids very close.  They will leave and strike out on their own - but she won't be very supportive, IMO.

• Love 3
On 2/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, Kyanight said:

Curious thought here.  If more people believed in polygamy and it was not illegal.... 

All of those women who have affairs with married men... if the man could marry them and add them to the family (first wife obviously has no say or she can leave with a bunch of young ones to support)  - would they?  I think many of those "other women" WOULD!  Think about how many men have affairs... divorce their wives and then marry their girlfriends.

Sometimes folks get into secret affairs because they really dig being sneaky.  They don’t want to add anyone or be added into their already existing relationship/marriage.  A big part of the excitement of the relationship, for them, IS the dirty little secret.  Gross.

On the other hand, I have known several folks that enjoyed poly-partner relationships but not for religious reasons, so multiple “wives” wasn’t a focus.  Some shared a home, some lived apart but spent weekends and everyone was aware of everybody else.  Most had a primary partner, some shared a primary with more than one woman.  This one guy, I’ll call him Calvin, has a wife and 4 other female partners who are devoted to him.  When discussing his relationship dynamic he said once “My wife only fulfills 90% of my needs” in front of her face! She agreed with him...and was all too happy that he had four others to make up the other 10%.  According to her, that 10% is all stuff she isn’t into doing or being involved in.  I didn’t press for details but I’m pretty sure it was stuff like occasional bondage and doing his laundry.  They all hung out together all the time, though like one big happy family.

Personally, I couldn’t do it.  I’m just not wired that way, not raised by hippies and thankfully wasn’t indoctrinated into that sort of a religious belief system, especially as a child.  Hats off to ya’, Brown Sister Wives, but if that’s the only way to get to Heaven, guess I just won’t be going.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Yeah but they can get married. She's not going to even give Dayton the opportunity to meet anyone, he'll be there until she dies. 

Some one needs to be there to bury her bones.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Some one needs to be there to bury her bones.

Just like the book/movie Like Water for Chocolate. 

I wonder how Robyn would react if Dayton fell in love with someone? Would she be like Mama Elena and say NO, HE HAS TO STAY WITH ME UNTIL I DIE. Or wish him the best and let him have his happiness?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Just like the book/movie Like Water for Chocolate. 

I wonder how Robyn would react if Dayton fell in love with someone? Would she be like Mama Elena and say NO, HE HAS TO STAY WITH ME UNTIL I DIE. Or wish him the best and let him have his happiness?

Depends.  Would this wedding score another season for them on TLC?

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, kicotan said:

Sometimes folks get into secret affairs because they really dig being sneaky.  They don’t want to add anyone or be added into their already existing relationship/marriage.  A big part of the excitement of the relationship, for them, IS the dirty little secret.  Gross.

On the other hand, I have known several folks that enjoyed poly-partner relationships but not for religious reasons, so multiple “wives” wasn’t a focus.  Some shared a home, some lived apart but spent weekends and everyone was aware of everybody else.  Most had a primary partner, some shared a primary with more than one woman.  This one guy, I’ll call him Calvin, has a wife and 4 other female partners who are devoted to him.  When discussing his relationship dynamic he said once “My wife only fulfills 90% of my needs” in front of her face! She agreed with him...and was all too happy that he had four others to make up the other 10%.  According to her, that 10% is all stuff she isn’t into doing or being involved in.  I didn’t press for details but I’m pretty sure it was stuff like occasional bondage and doing his laundry.  They all hung out together all the time, though like one big happy family.

Personally, I couldn’t do it.  I’m just not wired that way, not raised by hippies and thankfully wasn’t indoctrinated into that sort of a religious belief system, especially as a child.  Hats off to ya’, Brown Sister Wives, but if that’s the only way to get to Heaven, guess I just won’t be going.

Yep. What the Browns do is simply communal living with a religious demand.  They just force the sharing a man against the personal will of the women.  Yes, there are people that as adults will choose to live their lifestyle very different from what we call "normal", and it works for them.  It is the "do it this way or be shunned by your family, your community, the only way of life that you know and then...burn in hell to boot".  I'll be with you in the passing lane.

However, plenty of families live communal living.  Yup....monogamist ones.  Brothers and sisters with spouses and children and extended family.  Working together for the whole family.  And sometimes it can still be a shit show.  I used to be jealous of one of my husbands uncle's family because they all came together and helped each other with everything.  House/property/car maintenance, growing food, raising livestock, raising children.  The siblings and their spouses and the parents.  However, once I got to know their dynamic better I saw that they were just working together but didn't like each other.  A few years go by and big fights broke out, old problems surfaced and things fell apart fast and stayed apart.  While communal living doesn't always mean families, some times it is what we see as "hippie, free love" kind of thing.  My Uncle and his wife were real hippies living in a commune, it is still a lot of work, with committee decisions and strict rules, but they were very happy for many years before the whole community broke apart.

It burns my buttons when the Browns try to 'splain that monogamists just don't understand.  Like we never ever help anyone out for any reason without sharing a man's penis with upteen how many others.  Sometimes people are even helpful to others withOUT any blood relation at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Great post!  I would only add one thing:  I think that Robyn was also drawn into THIS particular family versus any other because of the Reality TV show.  When the fans didn't respond as THEY should have (that control thing you were talking about) she got frustrated and wasn't interested anymore, yet it's the major source of income for the family.  I don't believe Janelle and Christine were even given a say as to whether Robyn was joining the family or not - she WAS joining - TLC was interested - Meri was ok with it and Meri was the first wife, after all.  I would have to watch that first season again, but as I recall there was NOTHING to indicate to me that they were welcoming this with open arms.  

And it's Robyn's way, ALL the way.  She demands it - she gets it.  That has been Robyn since she was a child.

Yes, I also think that Robyn was drawn close to Kody because of the interest of the show. I suspect the fact that looking at other polygamist men...Kody is a rock star. 🙄

Janelle seemed like "oh...okay, that's what doctrine says and we have to go along with it (as long as everything is fair...) And being Janelle its the dollars and cents that truly matter to her. When she said in the beginning how "I really thought another one was coming" I call major bullshit.  Much later on she made the snide comment when they were getting the Grand Family Mission Statement printed on custom boards how "what if another one comes and we just have these 4 copies...what then...cause we didn't know that Robyn was coming either"  Making it really seem like Robyn was sprung on them.

And Christine near hysterics at how they were making future decisions about Robyn (Meri and Kody were making those decisions) and she had not even met her, and OTHERS had a testimony already.  They blew a huge hole in the theory of all the wives agreeing and somehow approving a new wife.

OH! Also...when Christine was sucking up and saying how wonderful Robyn is and how Robyn helps them ALL communicate better.  I remember laughing really loud at that because the actual translation of that is.....Robyn is the puppet master Christine, and she has been from day One. 

The real reason Robyn has gotten jumped on from the viewing audience from Day One is that WE can all see it clear as day, everyone else is wearing Kody Brown Mormon Goggles or something.

• Love 10
44 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

My Uncle and his wife were real hippies living in a commune, it is still a lot of work, with committee decisions and strict rules, but they were very happy for many years before the whole community broke apart.

I think this is what Janelle thought she was getting into when she married Kody...she thought she was being a free-spirited, teepee-squatting hippie living in a community of love.  What she got instead was an orange-coated shrew and a spineless dip for a "husband."  

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Great post!  I would only add one thing:  I think that Robyn was also drawn into THIS particular family versus any other because of the Reality TV show.  When the fans didn't respond as THEY should have (that control thing you were talking about) she got frustrated and wasn't interested anymore, yet it's the major source of income for the family.  I don't believe Janelle and Christine were even given a say as to whether Robyn was joining the family or not - she WAS joining - TLC was interested - Meri was ok with it and Meri was the first wife, after all.  I would have to watch that first season again, but as I recall there was NOTHING to indicate to me that they were welcoming this with open arms.  

And it's Robyn's way, ALL the way.  She demands it - she gets it.  That has been Robyn since she was a child.

I don't think Meri had much of a say over Robyn either.  I really believe Janelle and Christine were mad because Robyn got such a nice honeymoon that neither one of them got.  Janelle as always tries to be frugal despite the ways of her sister wives.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I don't think Meri had much of a say over Robyn either.  I really believe Janelle and Christine were mad because Robyn got such a nice honeymoon that neither one of them got.  Janelle as always tries to be frugal despite the ways of her sister wives.

I'll never forget Christine during the TH when Kody dropped the bomb of wedding dress shopping with Robyn and how HE chose the gown and that the wives didn't know it!!!

He was all giggly and excited about secretly choosing the dress with his little hotty Robyn.

Christine is PISSED, calls him out including that he didn't give a shit about her wedding dress then yanks her microphone off and stomps off the set.  😂

Robyn stubbornly defends Kody 

• Love 8

The best thing that ever happened to Christine's shapeless wedding dress was when she let Mykelti cut it up to make decorations for her weddingk.

Seeing your wife in her dress before the wedding is supposed to be bad luck … I'm still waiting to see how Robyn's marriage will crash & burn.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Not only was it much nicer, but at 11 days it was much longer, too. I recently rewatched the honeymoon episode and the wives at home were all angry and hurt. And of course Kody didn’t care, he was too busy banging Robochin and pretending to be a surfer dude. I can’t imagine how painful it must have been for the other wives to watch that episode. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Kbo said:

Not only was it much nicer, but at 11 days it was much longer, too. I recently rewatched the honeymoon episode and the wives at home were all angry and hurt. And of course Kody didn’t care, he was too busy banging Robochin and pretending to be a surfer dude. I can’t imagine how painful it must have been for the other wives to watch that episode. 

The birth of Truely Brown is probably even MORE painful.  Oh wait wait wait - excuse me!  That SHOULD have been worded differently since the baby's birth took back seat:  Kody and Robyn's great date with the heavenly KISS which was more important than his wife giving birth to his child.  Even at the hospital he never stopped talked about Robochin.

8 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Yep. What the Browns do is simply communal living with a religious demand.  They just force the sharing a man against the personal will of the women.  Yes, there are people that as adults will choose to live their lifestyle very different from what we call "normal", and it works for them.  It is the "do it this way or be shunned by your family, your community, the only way of life that you know and then...burn in hell to boot".  I'll be with you in the passing lane.

Yeah, the difference between the Brown's form of polygamy and communal living/polyamory is that the women are indoctrinated to see this as their "role" and God's demand of them, so they wear it like their cross to bear.  It's not something they take on in a purely free way.  They are pretty much blackmailed into it, and they buy into the BS.  So they are probably even less comfortable with sharing a husband than women in some other types of plural relationships.  Plus in their culture it's assumed that they all must "obey" the husband and that his word is doctrine.  As much as the Brown women try to look progressive and egalitarian in their relationships with each other and Kody we all know that's really not the case.  They act like they have sway in the major decisions for the camera but behind the scenes Kody always gets his way, even if his way is manipulated by Robyn.  Of course these disempowered women have to resort to manipulation to get their way.  So their form of polygamy might differ from other plural relationships in that way too.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I'll never forget Christine during the TH when Kody dropped the bomb of wedding dress shopping with Robyn and how HE chose the gown and that the wives didn't know it!!!

He was all giggly and excited about secretly choosing the dress with his little hotty Robyn.

Christine is PISSED, calls him out including that he didn't give a shit about her wedding dress then yanks her microphone off and stomps off the set.  😂

Robyn stubbornly defends Kody 

...and made sure to say that she wanted to keep it as a very close secret.  Because starting your marriage to a Family of 17 people with deep secrets is always a good thing.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Roslyn said:

...and made sure to say that she wanted to keep it as a very close secret.  Because starting your marriage to a Family of 17 people with deep secrets is always a good thing.

BINGO!

Those dolts should have kicked her to the curb right then and there....but nope they all wanted to please Kody and give him the shiny new toy that he was drooling over and Robyn had her first *win* and it didn't stop there..... She was well on her way to HBIC 

• Applause 1
  • Love 8