Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E19: Common Enemies

wknt3
  • Start Topic

After someone breaks into Luis Delgado's home and kills his wife, Luis and Danny team up to take down the vicious murderer who may also be responsible for Linda's death. Also, Frank finally meets Eddie's mother, Lena, and Jamie and Erin are at odds after Jamie seeks her help charging a man who confessed to him while under the influence.

Edited by wknt3

This was actually a much better episode than I expected given the description and the overall quality of the season. Random thoughts -

When Frank was asking what was up I would have loved for the response to be that yes the use of force numbers were lower than ever, but one individual detective accounted 10% of all shots fired and since he was related to Frank it could be a major PR problem...

I floved Anthony telling Jamie and Erin they were both being stupid, then doing both shots and leaving!

I'm hoping that the scene at the end means we're moving on from Linda (just because that they've done such a bad and inconsistent job of dealing with the aftermath of her death) and that this epsiode is the end of this riduculous cartel plot, unless they want to reveal that it was actually an accident that they were claiming credit for to screw with Danny because afterall not everything is always about him.

No Frank, it's not just because of her new role that Erin is butting heads with you guys, it's because you seem to believe that the DA's office is there to do your bidding!

• Love 4

I like Lou Diamond Phillips as much as the next guy, but I'm getting really sick of this story arc.  And how dare a virtual stranger tell Danny he needs to let Linda go and take off his wedding ring.  I'm as mad about that as the move on episode.

I couldn't really tell what Frank's point with Eddie's mom was supposed to be.  I do know that he has some faulty reasoning about tattle tales.  Not that I'm really comparing her pressing charges to tattling or saying that she shouldnt.  But, I think it's a bunch of bull that it will make her neighbors respect her.  She needs to change her name or something, so they don't know who she is.  After she moves one more time, of course.  Because jerks are going to be jerks and not much will change it.

Jamie really thinks that a confession heard by nobody else is all that is needed to convict someone?  I know Jamie wouldn't lie.  Erin knows Jamie wouldn't lie.  But, that doesn't hold true for the entire world.  Thank goodness Anthony stepped in.  He's really  starting to be my fave character because Jamie has been losing a lot in my eyes the last couple of epis.

• Love 3

Better episode than normal. Thought the Jamie-Erin conflict was so stupid, and more appropriate to the first season when Jamie was a relatively new cop. Legal reality sucks. Why wouldn't a sergeant, especially one from that family, not grudgingly acknowledge that?

You deserved both shots, Anthony.

Loved hearing Frank used the word, "icky".

• Love 2

So Garrett, Sid, and Abigail all know that Jamie and Eddie are engaged, yet no one at the precinct is aware of the situation?  Are they going to get married and still pretend that he is "just" her sergeant?

This just gets more ridiculous each week.

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And how dare a virtual stranger tell Danny he needs to let Linda go and take off his wedding ring.  I'm as mad about that as the move on episode.

Completely agree.  So out of character for Danny.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

So Garrett, Sid, and Abigail all know that Jamie and Eddie are engaged, yet no one at the precinct is aware of the situation?  Are they going to get married and still pretend that he is "just" her sergeant?

This just gets more ridiculous each week.

Also, doesn’t everyone at the precinct at least know they used to be partners?  They can’t hide that alliance and don’t have to. But they pretend they barely know each other. 

• Love 3

As a quick PSA: When you hear someone breaking into your house, it's probably not a good idea to run all over the place talking loudly into your cellphone.

If someone is stabbed to death in a bar fight, I would suspect the killer would be covered in blood.

CSI: NY not doing a good job of finding the murder weapon at the scene. The place has obviously gone downhill since Mac Taylor left.

I would have appreciated it if the writer could have told us why the bartender hid the knife. Something like:

Killer: "Dude! I just stabbed a guy to death in your bar! Instead of running out the back door, I think I'll just stick around until the cops arrive. Could you please hide this knife for me?"
Bartender: "Sure you're my best customer! The bar would probably go under if you went to jail. Of course I'll commit a felony for you!"

Edited by Rambler
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Rambler said:

As a quick PSA: When you hear someone breaking into your house, it's probably not a good idea to run all over the place talking loudly into your cellphone.

If someone is stabbed to death in a bar fight, I would suspect the killer would be covered in blood.

CSI: NY not doing a good job of finding the murder weapon at the scene. The place has obviously gone downhill since Mac Taylor left.

I would have appreciated it if the writer could have told us why the bartender hid the knife. Something like:

Killer: "Dude! I just stabbed a guy to death in your bar! Instead of running out the back door, I think I'll just stick around until the cops arrive. Could you please hide this knife for me?"
Bartender: "Sure you're my best customer! The bar would probably go under if you went to jail. Of course I'll commit a felony for you!"

Yes, the bartender thing was just...there. Made no sense.

i feel like the show is moving Jamie away from being a cop and back to law. The killer’s  comment about earning more than Jamie seemed like it was meant to push Jamie into thinking about the career he walked away from — and, being a Reagan,  he’d be the best lawyer ever, not like this bad bad man in cuffs.

• Love 1

Old member new name as I lost my password and had to create a new account. Formally CaptainCranky.

Decent episode but the Jamie Edie thing is old and not realistic.

Erin is slowly becoming a character I don't like and her story lines are lousy.

The more Anthony is on the better I like him.

Edited by JayDub
Correction
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, JayDub said:

Old member new name as I lost my password and had to create a new account. Formally CaptainCranky.

Decent episode but the Jamie Edie thing is old and not realistic.

Erin is slowly becoming a character I don't like and her story lines are lousy.

The more Anthony is on the better I like him.

Sorry about your old account.   Doesn't the forum have a "forgot password" feature?

I agree with you about Erin except I never liked her. 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:57 AM, Katy M said:

Jamie really thinks that a confession heard by nobody else is all that is needed to convict someone?  I know Jamie wouldn't lie.  Erin knows Jamie wouldn't lie.  But, that doesn't hold true for the entire world.

Doesn't matter who he's related to. In the real world a statement made to any court officer (police officer, lawyer, bailiff, etc) is evidence that would be presented to a Grand Jury, and I'd bet anybody a buck that Erin would have gotten a True Bill (i.e. they'd hand up an indictment). And Mirandized or not, in the circumstances shown, he volunteered the information without being questioned. It would absolutely be admissible, regardless of his BAC. There are people doing life without parole for murder who confessed while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. There are a gajillion videos out there on why you never ever make any statement to a cop. Even if you're their friend and are sharing a brew and watching the game. The words "I'm exercising my right to remain silent" (followed by keeping your yap shut) are the most important words you can ever say in that situation.

Now that said, Jamie's credibility could be attacked by the defense at trial so who knows if Big Sis would get a conviction, but there's more than enough evidence to get an indictment. He wouldn't have the charges dismissed.

I'm curious to see where they're going with Lena. Fun character and she'll certainly give Francis a few more grey hairs next season.

Re the wedding ring. Perhaps Danny will give it to Jamie for his wedding to Eddie? That would have All The Feels.

On the other hand, Rojas is still alive and (no doubt) after blood. Is he going to order a hit? He got to Linda, I'm hoping he doesn't get to Eddie, because they are sure setting this up to happen. I've said it before, and I really really want to be wrong here, but I'm not so sure Edit will be around for Season 10. She's a great character and they could do so much more with her. 

Edited by NJRadioGuy
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

Sorry about your old account.   Doesn't the forum have a "forgot password" feature?

I agree with you about Erin except I never liked her. 

Yes they do but because of spam I have a new email address.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:18 PM, Brookside said:

Danny should wear his wedding ring as long he wants.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:41 AM, Magnumfangirl said:

Completely agree.  So out of character for Danny.

I didn't like it, either.  I'm guessing it's just a lazy plot device to allow him to "move on" and start dating someone next season...we might even get to meet her before the end of this season.  It's difficult watching the old reruns with Linda knowing how they would mess things up later on.

As it respects the wedding ring. I'm an older person who has lost a lot of friends over the past 10  years both male and female. 

There is no consistent way that people who have lost a spouse act. Several had long marriages, have never dated and are content to a single person life.

Others have had a time of sadness but have dated and enjoyed a new life with a new companion. Several have even married.

My point is don't look at people and the way they act after losing a spouse with what you would do.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Doesn't matter who he's related to. In the real world a statement made to any court officer (police officer, lawyer, bailiff, etc) is evidence that would be presented to a Grand Jury, and I'd bet anybody a buck that Erin would have gotten a True Bill (i.e. they'd hand up an indictment). And Mirandized or not, in the circumstances shown, he volunteered the information without being questioned. It would absolutely be admissible, regardless of his BAC. There are people doing life without parole for murder who confessed while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. There are a gajillion videos out there on why you never ever make any statement to a cop. Even if you're their friend and are sharing a brew and watching the game. The words "I'm exercising my right to remain silent" (followed by keeping your yap shut) are the most important words you can ever say in that situation. 

Now that said, Jamie's credibility could be attacked by the defense at trial so who knows if Big Sis would get a conviction, but there's more than enough evidence to get an indictment. He wouldn't have the charges dismissed.

I didn't say it wouldn't be admissile, but that was literally the only piece of evidence they had.  They didn't have a murder weapon. He managed to stab someone without getting a drop of blood on himself.  None of the other witnesses int he bar.

If I were on the grand Jury, and they came in and presented the evidence that this man was arrested at the scene.  Nobody saw him do anything. He didn't have a weapon on him.  He didn't get any blood on him, but this cop said that he admitted it to him when they were out of earshot of anyone else for 15 seconds, I'm not voting to indict.  Because, I just dont' understand how he would have avoided any blood splatter.

11 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Re the wedding ring. Perhaps Danny will give it to Jamie for his wedding to Eddie? That would have All The Feels.

That would be weird.  I think if he were going to give it away, he'd wait for one of his own sons to get married.

23 minutes ago, JayDub said:

As it respects the wedding ring. I'm an older person who has lost a lot of friends over the past 10  years both male and female. 

There is no consistent way that people who have lost a spouse act. Several had long marriages, have never dated and are content to a single person life.

Others have had a time of sadness but have dated and enjoyed a new life with a new companion. Several have even married.

My point is don't look at people and the way they act after losing a spouse with what you would do.

I don't care what he does when.  I'm annoyed that people keep telling him he needs to do stuff.  He needs to do stuff when he's ready to do stuff.  Not on the timetable of others.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

I'm curious to see where they're going with Lena. Fun character and she'll certainly give Francis a few more grey hairs next season.

On the other hand, Rojas is still alive and (no doubt) after blood. Is he going to order a hit? He got to Linda, I'm hoping he doesn't get to Eddie, because they are sure setting this up to happen. I've said it before, and I really really want to be wrong here, but I'm not so sure Edit will be around for Season 10. She's a great character and they could do so much more with her. 

I would NOT want my dead sister in law’s wedding ring. That’s creepy (to me). 

• Love 4

They keep saying there will be a wedding.  And we are assuming it’s going to be Jamie and Eddie, but right now the whole family is single. A wedding doesn’t have to be Jamie and Eddie,  there have been sparks with Erin and Jack. Frank’s has a few that’s he been seeing on the sly over the years. Even Henry has dated. They could throw a curve. 

Eddie gets on my nerves at times and Jamie is starting to also. He wants everything to be perfect and Frank warned him that the job is going to destroy that quality. I think it’s starting already. 

I wasn't a fan of Danny removing the ring either, especially at the strong suggestion of a psychic.  The only people that should be even thinking of having that conversation with are his sons. 

The best laugh I had was Frank's look of bemused befuddlement at meeting Lena.

10 hours ago, iwasish said:

They keep saying there will be a wedding.  And we are assuming it’s going to be Jamie and Eddie, but right now the whole family is single. A wedding doesn’t have to be Jamie and Eddie,  there have been sparks with Erin and Jack. Frank’s has a few that’s he been seeing on the sly over the years. Even Henry has dated. They could throw a curve. 

Eddie gets on my nerves at times and Jamie is starting to also. He wants everything to be perfect and Frank warned him that the job is going to destroy that quality. I think it’s starting already. 

Spoiler

I was at set last week and Jamie and Eddie do get married.  You won't see the ceremony itself based on the script pages I saw, but a short and sweet exchange between Frank and Eddie as they prepare to walk down the aisle.    The men of the family were in morning suits and Vanessa looked beautiful in her dress.  I wasn't allowed in when Tom was there but I was after he had left for the day so I got to see Will and Vanessa do their "Yay!  We're married!" photos in front of the extras.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2
On 4/13/2019 at 7:51 PM, Rambler said:

I agree. Since the killer seemed to be wealthy, a bribe or threat would have worked. Maybe the bartender has something in his past that should prevented him from being a bartender but the killer pulled strings and know the bartender owes him one. This is why I hate the 4 plotline episodes. There's always one story that feels like it should have gotten some more time to do a better job of telling the story. 

On 4/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, SCS said:

I feel like the show is moving Jamie away from being a cop and back to law. The killer’s  comment about earning more than Jamie seemed like it was meant to push Jamie into thinking about the career he walked away from — and, being a Reagan,  he’d be the best lawyer ever, not like this bad bad man in cuffs.

I didn't think the killer was a lawyer. I thought he said that he made more than Jamie, or that his laywer made more than Jamie. 

15 hours ago, iwasish said:

They are starting make Jamie more like Danny, and I like the way they are showing that the job is changing Jamie, but I wish they had done a better job of showing it happen slowly as opposed to new character traits that seem to suddenly show up. 

And.....another fat shaming comment slung at Anthony - this time by Jamie (where he says something like "go with your gut" and points out how big Anthony's is.

I get it - the actor is over-weight and I can hear the breathlessness when he delivers his lines lately, but really writers - you wouldn't dare have this said to an overweight female character.

(yes, I'm sensitive because I have an overweight hubby who had to endure acquaintances pointing out his weight gain over the years thinking it was okay to publicly bring it up because he's a guy and guys don't have feelings)

SO on board with Danny and his wedding ring.  I mean, Frank still wears his.  He doesn't have to 'move on' from Linda.  She'll always be part of him.  Granted, if he begins to date/get serious with someone else then - yeah - maybe it's time to remove it, but he's not even at that stage.  What made that plot even worse was the actress who played the psychic - she was Shelia on Rescue Me whom I loathed only second to Janet's character.

I really don't mind Erin.  I can't imagine the fine line she has to walk between what something looks like and the law - and she has to follow the law and will not compromise because of her last name.

I think Frank handled Eddie's (Edite's) mom well.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2019 at 4:03 PM, ctlady said:

And.....another fat shaming comment slung at Anthony - this time by Jamie (where he says something like "go with your gut" and points out how big Anthony's is.

I get it - the actor is over-weight and I can hear the breathlessness when he delivers his lines lately, but really writers - you wouldn't dare have this said to an overweight female character.

(yes, I'm sensitive because I have an overweight hubby who had to endure acquaintances pointing out his weight gain over the years thinking it was okay to publicly bring it up because he's a guy and guys don't have feelings)

SO on board with Danny and his wedding ring.  I mean, Frank still wears his.  He doesn't have to 'move on' from Linda.  She'll always be part of him.  Granted, if he begins to date/get serious with someone else then - yeah - maybe it's time to remove it, but he's not even at that stage.  What made that plot even worse was the actress who played the psychic - she was Shelia on Rescue Me whom I loathed only second to Janet's character.

I really don't mind Erin.  I can't imagine the fine line she has to walk between what something looks like and the law - and she has to follow the law and will not compromise because of her last name.

I think Frank handled Eddie's (Edite's) mom well.

Frank may still wear his wedding ring but he’s gotten plenty of ass on the show. The blonde reporter, the columnist (I love Margaret Colin, they should have her back, they had great chemistry), the English(Irish?) woman who was there to learn some of NYPDs anti terrorist tactics, and though he didn’t bang them, Mimi Rogers and Bebe Neuwirth. There was another younger woman who went to college with Erin also, she was coming on strong to him, not sure where it went. 

I don’t think Eddie is going to like those mandatory Sunday dinners, hanging with the family so much reinforces some of Jamie’s more rigid beliefs, ones that she’s not real fond of. Same with the heavy Catholic influence.