Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Anduin said:

The reports were true. But it has to be some kind of vision. I can't believe that Rey would really go dark.

Yeah, I'm thinking Force Vision fight, like Luke in the Cave, except this is Rey vs Rey.

Ironically, I actually thought Rey would go Dark Side in Episode 8 with Rey & Kylo Ren switching sides.  I didn't want it but, there was a point where I thought Rey would save Kylo only to end up lost to the Dark Side herself.

I don't see that happening in the final chapter

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Anduin said:

So. The reports were true. But it has to be some kind of vision. I can't believe that Rey would really go dark.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Disney couldn't use clips from the original films until they bought FOX, right? 

This looks pretty awesome, Kylo and Rey fighting on that ship in the middle of the ocean looks like one memorable setpiece (though lowkey I'll never understand why people with telekinesis fight with laserswords). I'd be a lot more hyped if this were the second part of the trilogy. TLJ really effed things up, hopefully they can course correct with this. Like @Morrigan2575 said I can't see Rey going dark in this and them ending on that note, nor would I want her to go dark and then back to light in the space of one movie.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, I'm thinking Force Vision fight, like Luke in the Cave, except this is Rey vs Rey.

Ironically, I actually thought Rey would go Dark Side in Episode 8 with Rey & Kylo Ren switching sides.  I didn't want it but, there was a point where I thought Rey would save Kylo only to end up lost to the Dark Side herself.

I don't see that happening in the final chapter

I agree. And while I'm not a con-goer, I hear Rey cosplay is amazingly popular with girls and women of all ages. Surely Disney doesn't want to jepordise that by crushing their dreams. However, expanding cosplay opportunities with Dark Rey is totally valid! Best of both worlds, you know?

3 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Disney couldn't use clips from the original films until they bought FOX, right? 

This looks pretty awesome, Kylo and Rey fighting on that ship in the middle of the ocean looks like one memorable setpiece (though lowkey I'll never understand why people with telekinesis fight with laserswords). I'd be a lot more hyped if this were the second part of the trilogy. TLJ really effed things up, hopefully they can course correct with this. Like @Morrigan2575 said I can't see Rey going dark in this and them ending on that note, nor would I want her to go dark and then back to light in the space of one movie.

I disagree about TLJ. It wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty good. As for fighting with lightsabres, because they're cool of course. 🙂

• Love 2

I think it's either a vision, Rey pretending as part of a mission, or the double saber will turn out to be blue or blue+red. I think Rey will find the balance in the Force so what we'll see is how she navigates the events of the movie to get to that place. Trailer looks awesome.

• Love 2

The only thing I didn't like about the trailer is the ordering of the previous films footage. They are trying to seel this as a conclusion to the Skywalker saga so technically the prequel trilogy should have gone first. Minor nitpick I know and really I should be happy they were happy to acknowledge the prequel trilogy has influenced the sequel trilogy.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

I think it's either a vision, Rey pretending as part of a mission, or the double saber will turn out to be blue or blue+red. I think Rey will find the balance in the Force so what we'll see is how she navigates the events of the movie to get to that place. Trailer looks awesome.

That almost exactly my theory. Luke was scared of the idea of that balance, but I think Rey is going to be proven right.  I hadn't thought of that being a foiler of a clip, edited to fool us, and think the blue and red idea is neat.  But even if it;s actually an all red saber, so what?  The idea could be as simple as her being able to bluff emotion/mind-reading opponents, because she doesn't deny her anger.  She figures out how to channel the creative force that has been mislabeled as "The Dark Side" without surrendering the good in her.  So she can fool them when needed, but without becoming a murderous douchebag, per usual.

Of course besides vision, or that theory, the third theory is clonish.  Rey is a clone--that's how she "came from nothing". But she's a clone who was sneaked/smuggled away from her creators.  Palpatine is a clone (the one we will now see) and is now running a clone factory/Sith training ground.  And the person we see with the red saber is a clone.  But not Rey. Just another clone who looks just like her.  Because that's how clones work.  

4 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Of course besides vision, or that theory, the third theory is clonish.  Rey is a clone--that's how she "came from nothing". But she's a clone who was sneaked/smuggled away from her creators.  Palpatine is a clone (the one we will now see) and is now running a clone factory/Sith training ground.  And the person we see with the red saber is a clone.  But not Rey. Just another clone who looks just like her.  Because that's how clones work.  

That's a really interesting theory. I like it

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

But even if it;s actually an all red saber, so what? 

I was thinking of how Marvel trailers are routinely misleading. It would be easy for them to play with the CGI in a quick shot like the double saber like they did with Thor embodying the lightning with two eyes in the Ragnarok trailer versus the one he had in the movie.

12 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I was thinking of how Marvel trailers are routinely misleading. It would be easy for them to play with the CGI in a quick shot like the double saber like they did with Thor embodying the lightning with two eyes in the Ragnarok trailer versus the one he had in the movie.

Right. But I'm saying as good an idea is that is that they may have done that as a foiler, even if they didn't, the sight of Rey holding that may not mean what people think it means.  The whole color-theory of lightsabers was always somewhat silly anyway, but even if they stick with it, what'a a Grey Jedi anyway other than someone able to deal with the darkness without losing the light?  Why WOULDN'T such a person be able to use a red lightsaber, especially in service of a mission?  That said the other ideas (not Rey/the clone theory, and the it's not actually real/Force vision theory) are both out there too.  The half red/half blue thing is just a nice clever enhancement to the idea that Rey's not actually compromised.  It would of course shift the apparent intent of that scene from fooling the baddies into simply fooling us.  Of course the fact that she also SEEMS to be wearing Sith clothes also has to be considered. That could be digitially added too, of course.  Or a disguise she has to wear.  Each of those feeds into one version of the theory or the other.  

I hope they're not going with some sort of grey jedi balance between light and dark thing. The term Light Side is never used in the original 6 films. There's just The Force and the Dark Side side. The Force is created by the natural cycle of life and death the binds all living things. The dark side is like a disease on the force that creates imbalance. You restore balance by getting rid of the dark force users who damage The Force by drawing on The Dark Side, which is where the whole prophecy about the Chosen One who would destroy the Sith and restore balance to The Force comes from. Anakin restores balance to the Force when he turns from the Dark Side and kills Palpatine.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Those Star Destroyers in the trailer look like their vacant. I'm wondering if they're borrowing the Zahn's Katana fleet plot from the Thrawn trilogy.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Katana

When I saw them, they reminded me of the Zahn trilogy. Thawn is canon since they added him to Rebels but, I don't think they'll add him to episode IX and, I would hate for them to cheery pick that one aspect of the Trilogy and give it to Kylo Ren/Hux

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I hope they're not going with some sort of grey jedi balance between light and dark thing. The term Light Side is never used in the original 6 films. There's just The Force and the Dark Side side. The Force is created by the natural cycle of life and death the binds all living things. The dark side is like a disease on the force that creates imbalance. You restore balance by getting rid of the dark force users who damage The Force by drawing on The Dark Side, which is where the whole prophecy about the Chosen One who would destroy the Sith and restore balance to The Force comes from. Anakin restores balance to the Force when he turns from the Dark Side and kills Palpatine.

I hope to. I didn't like it when that "gray" popped up in the now defunct-Legends around the New Jedi Order books and don't want to see it pop up in the Rise of Skywalker. 

• Love 1

Yeah, that's a Force vision or a trick, and it's not something I'm going to think any more about.

Rey's not going dark. They didn't spend two movies setting her up as the hero just to do a bait-and-switch. I know there is a vocal minority of fans who want her to turn evil, but I feel sure that the Venn Diagram of those people and the people who don't like women as protagonists in movies is a circle.

But Rey is such a fucking hero, and she didn't even know it for two whole movies. I can't wait to see her now that she does know.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 11

All this constant 'teasing' feels like 'baiting' to me - like a desperate attempt to create buzz and interest, even if it means courting controversy with things such as Dark Rey, the return of the Emperor, etc.
Everything feels like some coordinated marketing ploy and it is turning me off. Almost every aspect of the movie is being teased and leaked: Luke's force ghost, the Knights of Ren, Palpatine, Princess Lei's involvement ... The entertainment news feeds are littered with such items every week. 

Ever since Star Wars became Disney-fied, everything about it feels like the result of corporate mandates and creation by committee. The idea of escapism appears to be lost on them. They seem to think Star Wars needs social relevance, popular actors and pop culture references.  Can any great or satisfying story/movie emerge from a corporation whose main goal is maximum profit? The success of the first Star Wars movie was a fluke, not a calculated outcome.

JJ Abrams is good at creating exciting premises, but not so good at conclusions, so I remain doubtful this movie can stick the landing. 

..end rant.. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Ever since Star Wars became Disney-fied, everything about it feels like the result of corporate mandates and creation by committee. The idea of escapism appears to be lost on them. They seem to think Star Wars needs social relevance, popular actors and pop culture references.  Can any great or satisfying story/movie emerge from a corporation whose main goal is maximum profit? The success of the first Star Wars movie was a fluke, not a calculated outcome.

Escapism? You can claim they lean on/borrow from the past too much, but you're claiming it isn't fun? And that the OT and PT were pure escapism? No social commentary at all? Because Lucas has gone on record talking about WWII and Vietnam as major influences in his movies. Sometimes a thing can wear two hats at once. Fun and social commentary.

As for ANH being a fluke, no way. A lot of people put their hearts and souls into that movie. It shows. They did the best work they could, with the dream of people seeing and loving it.

But here's the thing. Movie making and advertising have changed in the last 40 years. Everything has to fit in the current style or look old fashioned. While Star Wars may not be the new hotness and trendsetter right now, maybe it will be again in the future.

Also, they're trying to reassure everyone put off by TLJ. "Don't worry, that thing you love will be in the movie." It's a commercial decision, and I suppose I agree with it. I'd go see it anyway, but clearly not everyone loves Star Wars as much as they should.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Sometimes a thing can wear two hats at once. Fun and social commentary.

I agree that some movies manage to hit the right balance of fun and substance: such as most of the Marvel movies.
But for me, Star Wars doesn't feel fun anymore. It feels exhausting, controversial and divisive.

Perhaps that is the result of overzealous and opposing fan bases. Maybe the overload of social media commentary is to blame. Every teaser trailer is followed by an avalanche of news articles and video commentaries. 
It actually feels like politics, not entertainment. This might be a minority opinion, but it happens to be mine: Star Wars comes with too much baggage now.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Anduin said:

Movie making and advertising have changed in the last 40 years.

It definitely has!!  The landscape for how fans interact with entertainment properties is much wider now, and they definitely have a multi-pronged approach for all things Star Wars.  But one of the great things with the current technology, is that each fan now has the ability to curate their own experience.  To get as little or as much immersion as they want.  I love that!!  

• Love 3

The fact is the time ANH came out America was still dealing with aftermath of Vietnam and Watergate and the movie felt like a refreshing return to more simple fun entertainment even though there definitely was political commentary in it. It was more subtle than recent movies like Network or All the Presidents Men or Taxi Driver but it was there.  The people watching it didn't get that Lucas meant the Empire to be a stand in for America or the Rebels were the Vietcong. Now  having the main protagonist of the sequels be a girl and having more POC characters feels more political to certain people when it shouldn't be.

• Love 4

One of the reasons I'm excited for this movie, two of the usual idiots on YT have made videos bashing it. Considering how wrong they were about TLJ, that's a good sign. Is that a stupid reason? I mean, I'm excited about new Star Wars movies in general. And this one from someone who made a good SW movie before. It's promising.

• Love 4

We're getting the trailer during Monday Night Football. Tickets go on sale right after. To which I must ask, what time in what time zone does MNF air? Second, why do they keep making nerds watch sport? Especially a substandard game like American football. It's like they looked at rugby and wanted a cheap knockoff that was slower and less interesting.

1 hour ago, Anduin said:

We're getting the trailer during Monday Night Football. Tickets go on sale right after. To which I must ask, what time in what time zone does MNF air? Second, why do they keep making nerds watch sport? Especially a substandard game like American football. It's like they looked at rugby and wanted a cheap knockoff that was slower and less interesting.

Wow, a lot to unpack here:

1. The game starts at 8:15pm Eastern Daylight Time.
  2. Because it's the GREATEST GAME IN THE WORLD!
  3. Rugby wishes it could be (American) Football. Are their players dying from CTE? If not, it's not great.

I want Bitch Boy's head on a silver platter.

I am dead serious. I was cheated out of Cersei getting a glorious comeuppance on GOT. Ditto Secretary Ross in Avengers Endgame. But I will not be cheated out of this. Kylo Ren's end had better be satisfying.

Trailer looks awesome. Happy birthday, Carrie, we miss you.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I want Bitch Boy's head on a silver platter.

I am dead serious. I was cheated out of Cersei getting a glorious comeuppance on GOT. Ditto Secretary Ross in Avengers Endgame. But I will not be cheated out of this. Kylo Ren's end had better be satisfying.

Trailer looks awesome. Happy birthday, Carrie, we miss you.

She had the last word on her birthday! From what little I know of her personality, that feels right.

And yes, Ren is a great villain. I'll be happy to see him die.

But the real most important thing. Is that Yavin or Endor? I think it's Endor, but I'm willing to have my mind changed.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Something better.

Looked pretty good to me. Yeah, I've seen good trailers for bad movies before. Valerian. But didn't you like about this one? I'm just curious.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Looked pretty good to me. Yeah, I've seen good trailers for bad movies before. Valerian. But didn't you like about this one? I'm just curious.

This seemed really no different than the teaser we got a few months ago. Give us something we can really grab onto and talk about, especially after the fiasco that was Solo. If Palpatine is in this, give us a good shot of him. If Luke is in this as Jedi ghost, let us see that. Shots of strange alien space horses and questionable sentimentality between characters that don't really have established close relationships didn't do it for me.

• Love 3

The trailer was fine. The thing I do believe is that it is the end of this reboot with Kevin Feige co-developing the new Star Wars movie with Kathleen Kennedy. I can't really believe that Disney will let either Rian Johnson or Abrams never another Star Wars movie, but we will see.

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

The trailer was fine. The thing I do believe is that it is the end of this reboot with Kevin Feige co-developing the new Star Wars movie with Kathleen Kennedy. I can't really believe that Disney will let either Rian Johnson or Abrams never another Star Wars movie, but we will see.

Rian Johnson maybe not, but I'm not sure what JJ Abrams is supposed to have done wrong. The Force Awakens made $2billion, revived the entire IP after Lucas singlehandedly killed what he created, introduced an incredibly popular new hero in Rey, and a villain that at least has everyone talking, whether it's about his evil or about him being a handsome woobie, in Kylo Ren.

I'll have to watch the trailer later, when I'm not at work, but I already know I'll be pre-ordering tickets to see this movie.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Rian Johnson has a trilogy lined up. Why? Because once again, he did a really good job with TLJ.

I'm sure it's a fake out cause you wouldn't put it in a trailer, but man I hope C3PO isn't sacrificing himself. Based upon my reaction to that scene in the trailer, if he does I'm gonna be a mess in the cinema.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I'm sure it's a fake out cause you wouldn't put it in a trailer, but man I hope C3PO isn't sacrificing himself. Based upon my reaction to that scene in the trailer, if he does I'm gonna be a mess in the cinema.

Anthony Daniels is 73, so this may be the last episode for C-3PO.

I'm not certain how Lucasfilm determines if they should retire characters like C-3PO and Chewbacca when the original actors are no longer able to play the part. Does the original actor's opinion affect the decision?

5 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Rian Johnson maybe not, but I'm not sure what JJ Abrams is supposed to have done wrong. The Force Awakens made $2billion, revived the entire IP after Lucas singlehandedly killed what he created, introduced an incredibly popular new hero in Rey, and a villain that at least has everyone talking, whether it's about his evil or about him being a handsome woobie, in Kylo Ren.

I didn't say that Abrams did anything wrong. I just think that with Fiege now involved that whole Star Wars movie franchise might go in a different direction.

Edited by SimoneS