Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Luke better be coming back (and not just as a Force Ghost). We don't know nearly enough about The Force to believe he's dead dead and I'm fucking here for it. Mark Hamill is a treasure and he's presence is so good for this franchise. Please let him be back.

I'm praying it's not about Kylo because I hate him so much.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 9
Just now, JessePinkman said:

Luke better be coming back (and not just as a Force Ghost). We don't know nearly enough about The Force to believe he's dead dead and I'm fucking here for it. Mark Hamill is a treasure and he's presence is so good for this franchise. Please let him be back.

Just seems unlikely Mark Hamill isn't a spring chicken. I was thinking JJ was going to reveal in some convoluted way that Ray is a skywalker. 

Damn, that fucker Palpatine is back! Lando! The trailer looks great. I am excited as hell. Love seeing my Finn and Rey together in scenes. The way should be, Abrams!

ETA: Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) isn't in the trailer. She is in the movie, right? I don't want her getting between my Finn and Rey, but those racist bullying fuckers shouldn't be allowed to prevail.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
Just now, BooBear said:

Just seems unlikely Mark Hamill isn't a spring chicken. I was thinking JJ was going to reveal in some convoluted way that Ray is a skywalker. 

I just want Luke to be alive, he doesn't necessarily have to lead the franchise. Killing him off was so shortsighted. Han, Luke and Leia being dead is too much.

• Love 5
Just now, JessePinkman said:

I just want Luke to be alive, he doesn't necessarily have to lead the franchise. Killing him off was so shortsighted. Han, Luke and Leia being dead is too much.

Obi Wan had a presence after he died, and I think they can bring Luke back more substantially saying he was stronger in the force than Obi Wan was.  And to be fair, Leia wasn't supposed to be dead yet (**sniff**).  

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

ETA: Rose (Kelly Marie Tran) isn't in the trailer. She is in the movie, right? I don't want her getting between my Finn and Rey, but those racist bullying fuckers shouldn't be allowed to prevail.

I didn't like her so thrilled she isn't in it.  But it is just a teaser. 

Where is R2-D2? I am ambivalent about BB-8. Maybe R2 is with Lando. Yes, these are the kind of things that Star Wars makes me worry over.

Rey using the Force to jump over the ship was sick! She has so much more control over the Force now.

Leia! We'll see/hear Luke. Run, Rey run!

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Love seeing my Finn and Rey together in scenes.

And Finn & Poe.  😉  Apparently at the presentation, John and Oscar wouldn't let Steve ask any 'shipping' questions without including Finn/Poe.  

And Kelly was at the presentation.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Kelly was on the panel and they showed this pic:

image.thumb.png.c82d247168ff91346d1282b81327ecca.png

Thanks. Great to see, Kelly. I hope that she is doing well. I don't mind Rose hanging with Rey, but no romantic entanglements with Finn.

• Love 2

I teared up at seeing Carrie in the teaser. I also realized the real reason went back to her TFA hair was so they can use a different take of their hug at the end of the movie.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 6

I think what I would love most is for Rey to finally find that she does have an amazing, infinitely supportive family in Finn, Poe, Rose, Leia, et al... that she was able to find once she let the past go and opened her heart.  But that 'romance' with anyone just isn't high on her priority list right now.  

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

I think what I would love most is for Rey to finally find that she does have an amazing, infinitely supportive family in Finn, Poe, Rose, Leia, et al... that she was able to find once she let the past go and opened her heart.  But that 'romance' with anyone just isn't high on her priority list right now.  

I agree with the first part of your comment, but not the last part. Romantic love like other forms of love is integral part of life. Embracing that love is even more vital when you can die at any moment. It is why in Empire Strikes Back, when Leia told Han that she loved him as he was about frozen alive in carbonite, many of our hearts broke. Rain Johnson didn't understand this or maybe he couldn't see past Finn's ethnicity to that romantic love. Whatever the reason, he robbed Rey and Finn as well as the audience of this important meaningful moment that the first movie was clearly building up to and hope this third movie doesn't make the same mistake.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

Rain Johnson didn't understand this or maybe he couldn't see past Finn's ethnicity to that romance. Whatever the reason, he robbed Rey and Finn as well as the audience of this important meaningful moment that the first movie was clearly building up to.

I can definitely understand those who wanted that being disappointed with how that played out (I have been there with other stories myself, many, many times), but I'd love to see their relationship handled differently.  Time will tell what JJ has in mind for them.  

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I agree with the first part of your comment, but not the last part. Romantic love like other forms of love is integral part of life. Embracing that love is even more vital when you can die at any moment. It is why in Empire Strikes Back, when Leia told Han that she loved him as he was about frozen alive in carbonite, many of our hearts broke. Rain Johnson didn't understand this or maybe he couldn't see past Finn's ethnicity to that romantic love. Whatever the reason, he robbed Rey and Finn as well as the audience of this important meaningful moment that the first movie was clearly building up to and hope this third movie doesn't make the same mistake.

Rey put Finn in the friendzone at the end of TFA. Finn only caring about Rey while she was only about where she came from and her destiny was not a great place for any romance to develop. Finn becoming more devoted to the Rebellion's cause and not just her was important for his development and their relationship in general.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Dammit! I'm creeping up on 50, and I can still get a tear in my eye when I first watch a trailer for these movies.

I'm such a geek....

Me too but objectively all the star wars trailers are amazing. Now they need to work on the movies. 

• Love 3

I'm perfectly okay with JJ retconning TLJ.  Especially since Rian Johnson went rogue with the movie.

It amuses me that despite leaving near poverty in the desert, Rey's choice of clothing goes from rags to nicer rags.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I really hope JJ doesn't make Rey a Skywalker, so maybe the title is about Kylo?

Whatever it's about, I'm in. Star Wars doesn't own me like the MCU, but I'm invested in Rey, Finn, Poe, and Rose and will be there opening night.

• Love 3

Yeah, for me the MCU feels like it's moving in a direction I'm not that engaged with... but this panel today and the trailer has fanned that spark of joy I've always felt for this universe. In a way, the MCU is about specific characters for me, but Star Wars has always been more about the place.  I'm definitely ready to dive back in!     

11 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

I really hope JJ doesn't make Rey a Skywalker, so maybe the title is about Kylo?

I doubt it only because I just don't think that Kylo can be redeemed. Maybe Kylo has a kid?

At the end what are Ray et al looking at when the laugh happens. It looks to me like part of the death star. Is that how palatine survived?

40 minutes ago, Unusual Suspect said:

I mean, it's Star Wars, I'm going to go see it, despite my reservations about JJ retconning TLJ.

JJ is going to play it as safe as possible since Disney didn't spend all of that money on a brand that will just pump out the occasional TV show after Episode IX. 

If the TIE fighter in the beginning isn't part of a training exercise then I'm assuming Kylo wants Rey captured alive?  Because blasting away from a distance rather than trying to ram her seems like the smarter option.

I got a lump in my throat with "The Saga Comes to an End" rather than "The Saga Continues".  I've grown up with Star Wars and it's hard to accept the Skywalker era is ending. 😭

• Love 4

Some speculation that I'll put in a spoiler code.  I don't think it's that bad but I want to be fair just in case.

Spoiler

I suspect that Rey will take the name Skywalker in this movie.

Edited by benteen

Rey really has a style, doesn't she? I don't know how to describe her clothing, only that all three outfits have the same theme. Notable change, this one has a hood. Look at the end of the trailer, that's a hood.

Yeah, I had trouble sleeping, knowing there was a Star Wars trailer waiting for me. At 3.20 am, I couldn't wait any longer. Lucky I don't have much on today.

The big one, Yavin or Endor? I can believe both have coastal grassy areas. But given the presence of Palpatine, I'm thinking Endor.

The other big question, Tatooine or Jakku? A third desert planet is unlikely, IMO. My feeling is that we've already got one returning OT planet, so let's have a new trilogy planet. It's Jakku. But I'm prepared to be talked around on both my guesses.

By the way, I hope there's another poster coming. Just a starfield? It doesn't even have any patterns I can see, though I'm not great at that kind of thing.

• Love 2

I love the title, I LOVED seeing Lando! Lando's back! Yea! I wasn't expecting Palpatine! That crazy bastard. Either he's found his way back to life or maybe he'll be back as a force ghost. If force ghost Yoda can use lightening imagine what force Palpatine can do. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, BooBear said:

At the end what are Ray et al looking at when the laugh happens. It looks to me like part of the death star. Is that how palatine survived?

It's either pieces of the Death Star on Yavin IV or the 2nd Death Star on Endor.  I'm guessing the later, since Palpatine's spirit could easily be bound to that one, seeing as he died there.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 3

Firstly without John Williams and his music, I think most of the trailers to this universe wouldn't give me goosebumps.

Secondly, I may have rolled my eyes hearing Palpatine's laugh. I don't know why but I did. Maybe cause I felt they have bought him back cause Snope was killed off prematurely? Hoping though he isn't playing the same role he did in Jedi though

Thirdly, loved how it appears the ThreePio is involved more in this story than the previous two, which means he will probaby be chopped up into a thousand little pieces by the end. Just a shame there was to shot of Artoo.

• Love 3

The first time I watched the teaser, I was wearing headphones. At the start, I thought there was just indecipherable whispering. At the end, I thought it was Luke laughing. Listening with proper speakers was a real surprise.

NGL, the trailer left me feeling whelmed.

Some parts were visually confusing.

Kylo is charging at someone with his lightsaber on and... body slams said person to the ground when he could have just run him through?

Rey sees/senses the Tie approaching so she runs forward then flips back... when visually, it would have made more sense to charge at it?

The best part of the movie was the 1 second shot of Lando. Seeing him and Chewie on the Falcon was awesome. But now I'm wondering/scared that he'll be killed off...

It was nice to see Rey and Finn and Poe sharing shots.

Palpatine (apparently he has a first name now?  I always figured Palpatine was a title name like Amidala was?) fell flat for me. If he's really alive and not just a Force Ghost or vision, that's yet the final f**k you straw to the OT heroes. They literally won no victories. The new Jedi Order. The New Republic. The elimination of the Sith. These were supposed to be the OT's victories and they failed at all of them. 

So... like I said... whelmed.

• Love 2