Type keyword(s) to search

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier Anticipation

• Start Topic

I may feel stupid for asking this, but can someone please explain the "Timing: Year One" in the description to me? I noticed the Loki one says "Timing: Year Two", but I don't know what that means. Thanks in advance! 

1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

I may feel stupid for asking this, but can someone please explain the "Timing: Year One" in the description to me? I noticed the Loki one says "Timing: Year Two", but I don't know what that means. Thanks in advance! 

Yeah I originally thought it was "Year One" (after endgame) but, seeing the Year Two for Loki makes me think production/streaming season.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

but, seeing the Year Two for Loki makes me think production/streaming season.

Yes, it does have to do with their production season - this show is targeted to come out in the first year, with Loki and WandaVision scheduled to come out in the second year.

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, saoirse said:

Yes, it does have to do with their production season - this show is targeted to come out in the first year, with Loki and WandaVision scheduled to come out in the second year.

I wonder what they are considering a year/season? I know the Star Wars series The Mandalorian will launch Disney+ in November. But they offered no dates for any other show (that I can recall). So does Year One mean Fall/Winter 2019 or Spring 2020 like TV Seasons?

Or does Year One mean November 2019 - October 2020?

I know they've already announced a Diego Luna Star Wars Spy series for 2021 so they have long term plans.

• Love 1

I'm honestly going to sub to Disney+ just for these Marvel shows. I don't pay for my Netflix account (I use my mom's) so I can fork out the monthly fee to keep myself happy.

• LOL 2

Oh those wily fuckers will be getting my money for sure. If it was just Loki and the VisionWitch show I probably could have resisted but Sam and Bucky are two of my favorite characters. They haven't really gotten their due in the movies to my satisfaction so I'm really looking forward to this one. Glad it will be in Year One.

• Love 5

If Marvel follow the example of the Winter Soldier and Black Widow comic book (without Black Widow, sadly) then I could be really into this show - A 70s style, espionage thriller, with them trying to get to the bottom of conspiracies around the Soviet programme that created the Winter Soldier.

But as Bucky is my favourite Marvel character, whatever format they go for should be something I'll want to watch. I like Anthony Mackie, and I liked the friendship that grew between Bucky and Falcon in the comics.

And now that Marvel/Disney own the X-Men, I will be holding out for an X-Factor Investigations show too.

• Love 1

Zemo could make for a very interesting recurring villain... or even the villain storyline for the mini. Bucky, Sam and Sharon were all in the movie that actually dealt with him.

I'm interested.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Does Bucky have the same super running speed as Steve? Bucky can continue saying "On your left" to Falcon.....

He can definitely run faster than a normal person, going off the chase scene in Civil War. Hydra used some knock off version of the supersoldier serum on him, which may have given him a lesser version of Steve's abilities. But he's got the metal (vibranium, now) arm which gives him a greater strength advantage.

Seriously? This is what they're going to with? I've deliberately set my expectations very low because I no longer trust Marvel to do right by the characters. I just have a feeling that they're going to royally fuck this up. I hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm right.

Spoiler
3 hours ago, scriggle said:

Seriously? This is what they're going to with? I've deliberately set my expectations very low because I no longer trust Marvel to do right by the characters. I just have a feeling that they're going to royally fuck this up. I hope I'm wrong but I fear I'm right.

Hide contents
Spoiler

I've heard this before, with John Cena being speculated as a government approved Cap. The government in the MCU is usually corrupt and Hydra-ridden, so it would be par for the course for them. 

18 hours ago, scriggle said:

Reveal spoiler

Eh, it seems sadly accurate to our times. And Marvel comics have often focused on prejudice of various types. But that's Sam's story, and I'm far more interested in Bucky's.

• Love 1

I LOVE the idea of the buddy cop nature of FalconCap and TWS, but I think there is enough meat in both of their stories to be separate.  

I also think Seb Stan can have chemistry with broomsticks, but I would like to keep him away from Sharon.  They really f'ed up the Sharon character, and I'm not a huge EVC fan (though, I loved her back in the day in Everwood).  Look, expectations are high when you aunt is freaking Peggy Carter, and Sharon was soooo boring.   Plus, I had my heart set on having a retcon of the White Wolf storyline and keep Buck in Wakanda.  That small post-credit of Shuri and Buck chatting had ppl (read:  me and some of twitter) feeling it (yes, I know canon Shuri is young, but MCU Shuri is grown). 

That said, damn them.  Take my money.  Between this and Loki, they got me.  

9 minutes ago, TrininisaScorp said:

I also think Seb Stan can have chemistry with broomsticks, but I would like to keep him away from Sharon

Agree with this but I also don't want him and Shuri to be anything more than friends. If she wouldn't have been snapped then she would be in her early 20s now but she was so she's still a teenager. I'm not really sure how old we're supposed to consider Bucky to be, what with all the cryo freezing and the fact that he was snapped for those 5 years but I can't see him as being less than 30.

SS is about to turn 37 and the reason I know that is because his birthday is one day before mine. What? I saw it when I looked him up on IMDB once to see what other movies he'd been in. Don't look at me like that! 😅

Sun Leo GIF by JordanBruner

• Love 2
On 7/31/2019 at 12:42 PM, festivus said:

Agree with this but I also don't want him and Shuri to be anything more than friends. If she wouldn't have been snapped then she would be in her early 20s now but she was so she's still a teenager. I'm not really sure how old we're supposed to consider Bucky to be, what with all the cryo freezing and the fact that he was snapped for those 5 years but I can't see him as being less than 30.

SS is about to turn 37 and the reason I know that is because his birthday is one day before mine. What? I saw it when I looked him up on IMDB once to see what other movies he'd been in. Don't look at me like that! 😅

Sun Leo GIF by JordanBruner

I'm a mid-August Leo, too. Hey 17th!!

On 7/31/2019 at 3:42 PM, festivus said:

Agree with this but I also don't want him and Shuri to be anything more than friends. If she wouldn't have been snapped then she would be in her early 20s now but she was so she's still a teenager.

Yeah, I was totally down for it after BP until someone mentioned Shuri was a teenager. I honestly thought she was 22-24 in BP, just sheltered.

• Love 1
On 4/14/2019 at 12:08 PM, Valerie said:

I'm honestly going to sub to Disney+ just for these Marvel shows. I don't pay for my Netflix account (I use my mom's) so I can fork out the monthly fee to keep myself happy.

I bought I new TV just so I could get Disney+ and watch THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER!  I'm pumped!  🙂 

On 5/23/2019 at 10:31 AM, paigow said:

Does Bucky have the same super running speed as Steve? Bucky can continue saying "On your left" to Falcon.....

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER, Steve had a line that suggested that Bucky was actually faster than him.  

"He's fast. Strong. Had a metal arm."

At the very least, Bucky's speed was something that Cap called out as being exceptional.

• Love 1
On 7/31/2019 at 3:17 PM, TrininisaScorp said:

also think Seb Stan can have chemistry with broomsticks, but I would like to keep him away from Sharon.  

Speaking of chemistry it is a longshot but it would be cool if Christine Everhart (Leslie Bibb's character from Iron Man) were to show up. Mostly because I really like Leslie Bibb, plus I was a big fan of the show Kings and her and Sebastian Stan were in a forced marriage on that show.

• Love 1

My big fear is that this could feel like a letdown after WandaVision.  

I mean there will be infinitely more action, but that could work against it if the rest of it doesn't come off as clever. 

Maybe knowing Loki follows it will be enough. Kind of staggering the mind fucks and the more traditional stuff. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

I mean there will be infinitely more action, but that could work against it if the rest of it doesn't come off as clever. 

Maybe knowing Loki follows it will be enough. Kind of staggering the mind fucks and the more traditional stuff. 

That's where I'm at. I have been absolutely loving the weirdness of WandaVision from jump when we started getting the first teasers of it. I was all in on Falcon and Winter Soldier because... yes! Sam and Bucky! Woo! But WandaVision grabbed me and I love the way it's developed.

I'm not expecting weird in FatWS. Even though I would die of happiness if Sam developed the ability to talk to birds I know this is not remotely likely to happen. Alas. And I have my own personal feelings about Cap's ending to deal with, too. So, yeah... but Zemo and the idea of a legacy of Cap does spark interest and how the two guys closest to him deal with that legacy as well.

I do want a deeper dive into Sam, though. I really hope we get that. He deserves it.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Kromm said:

I think it's safe to say that it's not going to be as clever or as inventive as WandaVision. It's going to be a more straightforward, action/espionage show, and that's fine. One of the best things about comic books as a genre is that there's a book for everyone's taste - dumb action, gory violence, comedy, scantily clad characters of dubious anatomy, cleverly written. I think that's what Marvel are going for with these MCU shows. Which is good, because as compelling as WandaVision is, I don't really want to watch a whole raft of shows that are trying to break the mould in different ways.

The writing and content of this show will definitely be less original, but good dialogue and tight plotting should still be on the cards. However, if we end up with something that feels cheap and low rent, like Agents of SHIELD, I will be disappointed.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

I think it's safe to say that it's not going to be as clever or as inventive as WandaVision. It's going to be a more straightforward, action/espionage show, and that's fine. One of the best things about comic books as a genre is that there's a book for everyone's taste - dumb action, gory violence, comedy, scantily clad characters of dubious anatomy, cleverly written. I think that's what Marvel are going for with these MCU shows. Which is good, because as compelling as WandaVision is, I don't really want to watch a whole raft of shows that are trying to break the mould in different ways.

The writing and content of this show will definitely be less original, but good dialogue and tight plotting should still be on the cards. However, if we end up with something that feels cheap and low rent, like Agents of SHIELD, I will be disappointed.

What if the show takes place through the history of action movies? Okay, it probably won't. But you never know.

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Anduin said:

What if the show takes place through the history of action movies? 

Like Lethal Weapon --> Lethal Weapon 2 --> Lethal Weapon 3 --> Lethal Weapon 4

• LOL 7

Pre-COVID, the plan had been for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier to drop first, so I’m sure the roll out was seen differently. That said, I’m a huge Sam and Bucky-stan, so I’ve been in the bag for this since it was announced. I’m pretty sure I’d watch them read a phone book for an hour each week and still squee.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, saoirse said:

Pre-COVID, the plan had been for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier to drop first, so I’m sure the roll out was seen differently. That said, I’m a huge Sam and Bucky-stan, so I’ve been in the bag for this since it was announced. I’m pretty sure I’d watch them read a phone book for an hour each week and still squee.

They wanted the safe choice first. WandaVision was a huge risk. 

COVID really saved them.  People had to give WandaVision a chance, because there are so many less entertainment options now. 

I DO wonder if Loki was scheduled when it was to act as a counterpoint out the back side though. I have zero doubt its going to be ambitious and weird. 

Ultimately Falcon and Winter Soldier is not just the buddy action comedy, it's also character development. If they hadn't already rooted around in Bucky's past so much, we might have had more of that. 

I'm STILL hoping Marvel is brave enough to truly tell the story with the approach implied by Sam's Comic book Captain America arc.  The problem is this was produced before the real world events of last summer and their motives to look in that direction were less before that. The actual comics were inspired by Ferguson, Missouri and stuff around the time of 2014 (they came out about a year later).  I'm waiting to see if Disney actually had the balls to do this, basically PRE-BLM marches.

• Love 2
(edited)
21 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I think it's safe to say that it's not going to be as clever or as inventive as WandaVision.

I don't think WandaVision was. The old sitcom has been done before. It hasn't been as many eps but a few shows has done it. And the rest was predictable.

Spoiler

Most of us figured out pretty early that Kathryn Hahn was the bad guy and that Hayward was up to no good. The only new thing we learned in Wanda's backstory was that she liked/watched old sitcoms with her family. Vision's fight against white Vision has been done so many times. 

I watch shows to be entertained. I watch likable and/or good actors. I love an interesting/charismatic actor or dynamic.  Elizabeth Olsen was very good. Kat Denning is interesting but I think Falcon and Winter Soldier is going to be full of interesting/charismatic actors  and the chemistry between Sam and Bucky should be great. I  hope the show is going to be more like the movies because that is the Marvel that I like.

Edited by saoirse
Spoiler tag added
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm looking forward to this, I'm definitely interested in getting to know more about Sam as I've loved him since his exasperation with "On your left". He and Bucky dealing with the legacy of Cap as a person and a symbol and learning to deal with each other should be great. It will be more traditional MCU and more traditional political/action/identity thriller than WandaVision (which I absolutely adored) but that's okay, there's room for a lot of different projects with "everyone gets a D+ Series". 

The one thing I'm slightly weary of is the potential retconning of a couple of my favourite MCU secondary characters if rumours are anything to go by, but I'll just wait and see. 

Edited by Featherhat
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's going to be weird seeing Daniel Brühl as Zemo again after 2 seasons of The Alienist. I don't know if I'm ready for that.

I didn't even think of that, but frankly I'll take all the Daniel Bruhl I can get.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2021 at 6:27 PM, paigow said:

. Is Zemo working with Ross? Are they competing evil entities and our heroes get caught in the crossfire?

Since Zemo was in prison when we saw him last, he either escaped or he cut a deal with someone. If it is Ross, they're probably both working their own agendas, because Zemo strikes me as too much of a wild card for a bureaucrat like Ross to really trust. Methodical, sure, but also driven by his own personal quest for revenge.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
stupid formatting error
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Since Zemo was in prison when we saw him last, he either escaped or he cut a deal with someone. If it <i>is</i> Ross, they're probably both working their own agendas, because Zemo strikes me as too much of a wild card for a bureaucrat like Ross to really trust. Methodical, sure, but also driven by his own personal quest for revenge.

This makes me wonder what happened with the prisoners who were snapped. I could easily see Zemo escaping or getting released on a technicality due to the chaos. There are lots of possibilities. 

I just watched the Legends eps to get myself ready for this since I barely remember what happened in the movies. The Legends eps didn’t really provide a lot though so I still don’t really remember lol.

I’m definitely still really pumped for this if only because Bucky is probably my fave MCU character but I ended up loving WandaVision so much and how not-MCU it was so I don’t know how I’m gonna feel about going back to a traditional MCU thing. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I just watched the Legends eps to get myself ready for this since I barely remember what happened in the movies. The Legends eps didn’t really provide a lot though so I still don’t really remember lol.

I’m definitely still really pumped for this if only because Bucky is probably my fave MCU character but I ended up loving WandaVision so much and how not-MCU it was so I don’t know how I’m gonna feel about going back to a traditional MCU thing. 

You'll be fine. Just admire Bucky and his fine looking         arm.

I loved WandaVision but I'm excited to get back to the kind of fights from the CA movies. I live for that shit. I probably shouldn't admit how many times I've YouTube'd them.

• LOL 3

Before we started seeing TV spots about the show, I used to be worried that Anthony and Sebastian had been given too much rein to act like themselves instead of their characters (improv, or being given leave to "flesh out" their characters); I was concerned it would be the MackieStan show instead of Sam and Bucky the characters. Now the more we're seeing I'm really getting the sense it's going to be the Sam and Sebastian show, and I'm not really here for it. Sebastian I think does really well when he's given a character with a strong personality to play; otherwise we end up seeing a lot of his personal ticks. Bucky basically had no personality the last few movies, and now that they have 6 hours to fill it looks to me like they gave him too much rein. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to see jaw-and-mouth acting and fake pouty-faced squinting the whole time. Luckily everything else about the show looks great to me so far, so I'm probably just going to have some bitch eating crackers moments with Bucky.

Edited by Abra
  • Love 1

If Ross somehow is involved in all of this, he had BETTER get his comeuppance this time. Seriously unless his cameo in Endgame was actually one one of the Skrulls in disguise there was NO REASON for him to be at Tony’s funeral if he is still trying to control undermine/control superheroes. You couldn’t have just kept him snapped everything he did to you, could ya, Bruce?!?!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, Abra said:

Bucky basically had no personality the last few movies, and now that they have 6 hours to fill it looks to me like they gave him too much reign. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to see jaw-and-mouth acting and fake pouty-faced squinting the whole time. Luckily everything else about the show looks great to me so far, so I'm probably just going to have some bitch eating crackers moments with Bucky.

In all fairness, Bucky has had neither much personality nor agency up until now, and not even that much dialogue. The most personhood he displayed was in The First Avenger, but as viewers we really don't know who Bucky is or how he feels about being back in the world as a real boy. If they've given Sebastian Stan too much rein here, he might be able to bring the character to life for a change so we can see what he's like out of Steve's shadow.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

If they've given Sebastian Stan too much rein here, he might be able to bring the character to life for a change so we can see what he's like out of Steve's shadow.

That's what I'm saying; it looks like he's bringing Bucky to life as himself, and I don't care to see that (I'm sure he's a lovey person, but he's rather  awkward in most of the interviews I've seen). I think he would have done better if the writer(s?)/director had spelled out Bucky's personality for him so he didn't fall back on his own tics. If I'm lucky all the tic moments are in the trailers and TV spots and it won't be a concern when we can see it balanced by the whole episode.

2 hours ago, Abra said:

Before we started seeing TV spots about the show, I used to be worried that Anthony and Sebastian had been given too much rein to act like themselves instead of their characters (improv, or being given leave to "flesh out" their characters); I was concerned it would be the MackieStan show instead of Sam and Bucky the characters. Now the more we're seeing I'm really getting the sense it's going to be the Sam and Sebastian show, and I'm not really here for it. Sebastian I think does really well when he's given a character with a strong personality to play; otherwise we end up seeing a lot of his personal ticks. Bucky basically had no personality the last few movies, and now that they have 6 hours to fill it looks to me like they gave him too much rein. I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't want to see jaw-and-mouth acting and fake pouty-faced squinting the whole time. Luckily everything else about the show looks great to me so far, so I'm probably just going to have some bitch eating crackers moments with Bucky.

The promos have heavily focused on the buddy cop aspect but I expect the actual show to flesh out both characters. The first reaction posts I’ve seen all say that they show has surprising depth. 

5 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

he might be able to bring the character to life for a change so we can see what he's like out of Steve's shadow.

Has there been any word if Old Man Rogers will be showing up at all in this series? I watched end game with my kids a few days ago and Steve is old but still alive at the end. It would be weird if Sam and Bucky didn't at least mention still talking to him.

14 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Has there been any word if Old Man Rogers will be showing up at all in this series? I watched end game with my kids a few days ago and Steve is old but still alive at the end. It would be weird if Sam and Bucky didn't at least mention still talking to him.

As per IMDB, no. Chris Evans currently has two projects going and one that was just announced, but none of them are Marvel-related. Honestly? I hope not. It would be weird if he doesn't get name-checked, but to me one of the points of the new phase, both this and WandaVision, is to shed some light on characters who haven't gotten as much attention as they deserve. I said a couple of posts ago that we don't have any idea of who Bucky is, that we probably know more about Sam than we do about Barnes, and I don't think Steve's presence would be necessary.

• Love 1