Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: Snatch Game at Sea

• Start Topic

I feel so much better about not knowing who some of them were playing in snatch game after reading comments here. I get that at 38 I'm old, and I know that pop culture is really fragmented now, but...there have to be some better known people to imitate. 

The problem I have with them doing reality or youtube stars, whatever, is that those people are already edited down into a caricature, so it's just about imitation without any real thought about what qualities to highlight. I will admit to loving Vanjie, though. Because I love Vanjie, and because it gave me South Park Cartman flashbacks, not because I knew who she was portraying. 

Maybe it's time to retire this challenge, maybe replace it with the club challenge from All Stars. Or, y'know, something new. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, phoenix780 said:

Maybe it's time to retire this challenge, maybe replace it with the club challenge from All Stars. Or, y'know, something new. 

This 100%. Season 7 and AS2 were the first ever Snatch Games I saw, so they're what I tend to compare with - say what you want about S7, but Ginger, Katya and Kennedy made that Snatch Game for me. These days there's lucky to be one, maybe two standouts, a few bombs, and a lot of mediocrity. It's all just very tryhard. The "At Sea" premise was so thin; Snatch Game of Love in AS4 was a better way to try and shake it up (I guess we have to remember that was filmed after this one, though, so maybe there's hope for S12...) 

Edited by ivanp91
  • Love 2

I feel like Snatch Game is to RPDR like what Restaurant Wars is to Top Chef. It's the make or break challenge, and everyone knows to prep for it. Furthermore, most of the winners of Snatch Game make it to the finale and in a couple cases, are the overall winners of the show. So I see it as an important challenge, and that queens keep overlooking the most important factor (make Ru laugh), that's on them. Because Ru has always said that's the real point. 

Anyway, Nina was robbed, Shuga finally stepped it up, and that lip sync was everything. I liked Yvie's wig with her jumpsuit though.

I always think of Roxxy doing Tamar Braxton. I had no idea who she was, and most of the queens didn't know who Little Edie was (turn in your gay cards, gals), but Roxxy took a social media personality and made her funny even though I didn't know a thing about her. And the queens who didn't know who Little Edie was learned a thing or two when Jinx slayed it. It really doesn't matter who you pick as long as you can make them funny. Be funny is number one. Close second is be funny as your chosen character, (Little Edie, Cher, Liza Minelli, Anna Nicole Smith), sure, but first and foremost, be funny.

• Love 5

Peculiar Snatch Game… the ones I thought would do good, didn't, and the ones I thought wouldn't impress me, impressed me. 

Figured Silky would probably do well, but didn't expect her to win. I haven't got the faintest idea who T.S. Madison is, but to me Silky was just Silky with a cocktail in her hand. Dunno why Ru's got such a boner for her... I think she can be funny, and like Jennifersdc, I'm usually rooting for the big girls, as they are… well, my people. I can identify with them to a certain point - something I can't do with a lot of the queens. But I can't root for Silky, because I just don't like her, no matter how much I want to. 

I was worried for Plastique; glad she's safe. She's a sweetheart.

"Cash me outside" girl? Wait… what the… WHO? And more importantly - WHY? 

Jinkx ❤️ 

Brooke and Vanjie are still too cute. (Both together and separately.)

Edited by Rosenrot
  • Love 2

Totally forgot- I'm enjoying Brooke/Vanjie being just a thing we see in the background and not a full-on Storyline. I still anticipate they'll have to battle each other for drama's sake, probably in the next week or two before the competition gets to its final serious stage, but it's nice to have a reality show romance that isn't pulling too much focus (though I will enjoy the reunion when they explain how exactly this is happening- they're all busy, then sequestered far as I know).

• Love 1

So TS Madison did a react video for our friends at WOW Productions... 

*sigh*  I just can't.

I wish Shuga would turn the dial up a few more notches... she was killing it as Charo, but she needed to really push her cuchi-cuchi into it to get above the shrieking mess that was silky.

onto the positive parts, that LSFYL... for your life... for my life... for ALL our EMEFFIN' LIVES... I am not proud of how loud I yelled in my living room when the Chante's were handed out, but that was the only proper response.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Rosenrot said:

"WHATEVA, I DO WHAT I WANT!"

"I ran for Congress and won! WHATEVAH!" That whole episode was flawless. And that Dr Phil girl was basically that on Dr Phil (I saw both episodes she was on, sadly).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

And that Dr Phil girl was basically that on Dr Phil (I saw both episodes she was on, sadly)

Even though Vanjie ran her character by Ru in the werkroom, Ru (and the celebrities) seemed to have no idea why she was addressing Ru as Dr. Phil. 

Like Ru said, she'll laugh at anything even halfway funny and she was dead silent.

I kind of wish Ru didn't do the walkthroughs. He's there to judge, not mentor, plus he's been deliberately stirring shit for unknown reasons. Maybe he wants to get a better sense of the queens out of drag, but if so, that shouldn't be a part of his judging decisions. Yet how could it not? If he gives advice and it's ignored, that's gotta check a mental irritation box or two.

When we first met Nina, I thought she was going to be one of those people who is “THEATER!!” — which I generally find annoying — but she’s not at all, and I am liking her so much! 

Also, can we talk about the mini challenge? How on earth did Silky win that? It would be great to have a big queen on the show whose go-to schtick isn’t “I’m so fat because I love to eat!” Other queens get dinged for relying on the same trope over and over. How is she Teflon?

Edited by ladle
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ladle said:

Also, can we talk about the mini challenge? How on earth did Silky win that? It would be great to have a big queen on the show whose go-to schtick isn’t “I’m so fat because I love to eat!” Other queens get dinged for relying on the same trope over and over. How is she Teflon?

I'm so, so, so, so tired of Silky in every aspect. I'm tired of her talking heads. I'm tired of her tiny glasses. I'm tired of her mugging for the camera. I'm tired of her hitting on everyone she's not actively physically assaulting. I'm tired of everything being about how much she likes to eat. I'm tired of her being offended at everyone who is tired of her while being subjected to her much more directly than I am. Someone, please stop her. The only thing she did this episode that I enjoyed was giving Plastique Tiara's character an enemy.

Speaking of, I don't think it's totally fair that Plastique got hit with criticism about doing a nail technician type person twice considering the role was assigned to her in black panther and she presumably had prepared this snatch game character before the show.

I was hopeful for this snatch game based on previous episodes, but wow. I was very let down. It's not like Ana Gasteyer hadn't done a Celine Dion character on SNL that Brooke couldn't have just basically used. And I had no idea who half these reality people were AND they weren't funny, with the exception of Nina (who should have won imo) and Shuga (who should have won before Silky did).

I also hope that Yvie didn't injure anything in the lip sync because that would really suck.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, belligerent said:

I'm so, so, so, so tired of Silky in every aspect. I'm tired of her talking heads. I'm tired of her tiny glasses. I'm tired of her mugging for the camera. I'm tired of her hitting on everyone she's not actively physically assaulting. I'm tired of everything being about how much she likes to eat. I'm tired of her being offended at everyone who is tired of her while being subjected to her much more directly than I am. Someone, please stop her.

Can I get an Amen up in here?

• Love 4

I wonder if part of the issue with Nina and the runways is that she's somewhat of a large person, so it's not as easy for her to outfit herself but she's not large enough that she gets Big Girl Pass that the judges seem to hand out sometimes. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, Stinger97 said:

Also, while I understand some folks are sick of Vanjie being read week after week for the leotard/onesie runway looks, Vanjie did it to herself. When packing for the show, it didn't strike her that she was reusing the same silhouette for all her looks? And now that she's there and stuck with whatever she packed, at least, like, slap a damn skirt on some of these onesies to appease Michelle. Honestly, I really enjoyed last week's look (despite the fact that the headpiece was literally just a strand of rope glued to what looked to be cardboard...) because it was something *different*. 

Vanjie was sent home in her first season for not showing her body. So, she packed a bunch of outfits with silhouettes that do show her body.  Unfortunately,  they are all the same silhouette, and she was not savvy enough to realize that that would be a major problem.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:20 PM, ladle said:

PS - Ru, stop trying to make Silky happen.

This cannot be said enough. I actually liked her at first, I think it took all of 2 episodes for me to regret my initial impressions of her. You know it was a dismal SG (exceptions being Nina & Shuga, who were robbed) when Silky was declared winner. If there is a big girl in final three I hope it's Nina, who continues to evolve, and NOT the odious & stagnant Silky. 

Always nice to see Jinkx, her Little Edie remains a classic. Brook Lynn also entered Drag Race herstory with both her truly awful Celine on SG AND that stunning runway, she slaaaayed it! Shuga's runway was also stunning, I hope she continues, with Nina to shine. Loved Clea & Tony as guest judges, they were both adorbs. 

• Love 2

After a few weeks have passed and there are a smaller number of queens, I'm starting to look more critically at Nina. I like her very much but her runway looks do tend to skew towards "community theater costume department."

For example, her recent sequins get-up would have shown more range as a long fishtail gown with no jacket or silly tricorne hat. I think she may be trying to play up her nice legs with short dresses, but a lot of them hit her at a not-so-flattering point above the knee (which is not helped by ankle boots). She absolutely can be glamorous if she tries.

• Love 1