Type keyword(s) to search

S31.E01: You're In Our Race Now

Message added by Whimsy

This thread has gotten way off topic.  I know you all are anxiously waiting the new episode, but this is NOT a general discussion thread.  This is not the place to talk about past seasons, past contestants, TWOP, etc, etc.  Find different, appropriate threads to discuss those topics and keep this thread to the episode. 

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Booklady1017 said:

I heard Rupert was quite a character, but I don't know much about him and his wife. Feel free to fill me in, or I can just google him. 

Go to about the 10:45 mark. This just about says it all as far as I am concerned.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ichbin said:

Go to about the 10:45 mark. This just about says it all as far as I am concerned.

My cat apparently doesn't like Rupert's voice.  She flew across the bed and started hiding under it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ichbin said:

In a funny twist, turns out Jerri was right about the whole shelter flooding when the rains came in, and Rupert's prophecy about the shelter being the most creative one was false, especially considering that the winning shelter included a porch swing made out of one of the trees.

• Love 1

And that's why you take your magnesium pills (and bring some on the race).

This was a great start to the race. Many opportunities for changeups.

I really just need team fun to stay in it till the end. Don't care about any of the other teams (yet?). Speaking of which, it was really fun to see Becca scale "Mt. Fuji" it was like watching a cat climb something. Like it was nothing.

I wonder if production only tested that task when it was dry though and it was harder due to the rain. Don't think the intended for people having to take a penalty.

I also loved the editors including all the clips of BB and Survivor teams realising how hard the racce actually is.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Ottis said:

Sorry, just catching up. This may be the least appealing group of teams in the history of this show. 

At least it will make it easy to choose who to root for. 

Really?  You preferred Blind Date Race and Internet Whores Race casts to this cast?  Granted one of the Internet Whores teams is on this race and I want them out. 

But they will have to wait their turn after at least one of the Survivor Smug Women team and the two BB Women teams because I cannot tell the three women teams apart.  That herd needs to be culled some first.

At least one of the two all male teams I couldn't tell apart went out first and since I disliked the border patrol team that was a blessing.

Speaking of the three women's teams I can't tell apart.  I do know they are kind of TAR color coded.  Can someone tell me which colors go with which female teams before tonight's show so I follow along tonight.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
On 4/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, green said:

Really?  You preferred Blind Date Race and Internet Whores Race casts to this cast?  Granted one of the Internet Whores teams is on this race and I want them out. 

But they will have to wait their turn after at least one of the Survivor Smug Women team and the two BB Women teams because I cannot tell the three women teams apart.  That herd needs to be culled some first.

At least one of the two all male teams I couldn't tell apart went out first and since I disliked the border patrol team that was a blessing.

Speaking of the three women's teams I can't tell apart.  I do know they are kind of TAR color coded.  Can someone tell me which colors go with which female teams before tonight's show so I follow along tonight.

It's easy to tell Janelle & Britney apart. Janelle's the taller more plastic looking blonde, and Britney's the one that has the funny one liners

On 4/20/2019 at 8:28 AM, illdoc said:

I suppose, the earlier you find the clue, the earlier you get to the airport and can get better seats (i.e. closer to the front so you can get off quicker).

Whenever they show racers leaving an airport or exiting customs, it's always as a bunch to to confer no disadvantage from things like being chosen for a customs inspections, and also to aid filming and drama. So, possibly other than the final leg, I don't think more-frontward seats confers an advantage.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, blackwing said:

Also, all the Big Brother people that have been on TAR prior to this season.  Besides Rachel and Brendon (twice) there has been Alison Irwin and her boyfriend Donny, Jeff and Jordan, Cody and Jessica.  Any others?  I haven't seen a season of Big Brother since the one with Evil Dick and his daughter Danielle.  Have TAR racers ever gone on to appear on Big Brother?

Yes. Jeff/Jackie appeared In BB17. Cant remember what season of TAR they were on though 

• Love 1
On 4/23/2019 at 8:00 PM, Ottis said:

Sorry, just catching up. This may be the least appealing group of teams in the history of this show. 

TAR6: The One Where Most Of The Nicer Teams Were Eliminated Early. TAR8: The "Good Intentions" Season "Starring" The Weaver Family. TAR9: The One With Two Sets Of Jackasses Making Us Realize That, Hey, Maybe Two Of The Linzes Could Have Come Back To Go Double Or Nothing. And that was the "classic" era of TAR.

I'm okay with these returning Racers. Your mileage may and probably will vary.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, green said:

Really?  You preferred . . . Internet Whores Race casts to this cast?  Granted one of the Internet Whores teams is on this race and I want them out. 

Whoa, now. I think the problem with bringing in social media "stars" was that they probably didn't go all out, lest they get mad at each other and spoil their reputations. TV Guide gave the show a "Jeer" heading into that season, singling out Tyler. I had only known him through the  commercials for YouTube, and that jab felt as mean as flicking a small puppy between the eyes.

For me, I'm rooting for the TAR alumni, especially after Art & JJ were sent home.  Rachel doesn't count; when she and Brandon appeared on Fear Factor, she said that they were "reality royalty." Needless to say, "fuck that" was the mildest reaction from me.

• Love 3

So, I wasn't able to watch the first few episodes, so I'm working on a catch-up now. 

I wasn't sure how excited I'd be for this season. I watch Big Brother, so I know all of their racers, I've never watched Survivor but have heard of Rupert, and I have watched on and off of TAR since season 14, so I'm not entirely familiar with Colin/Christie or the Afghanimals, but know Art/JJ and Becca/Floyd. 

I will say, Colin/Christie are great. I know of their season 5 season so I was expecting much different than this. I might be rooting for them.

Who else am I rooting for? Afghanimals and Victor/Nicole, the latter to my surprise. I used to like Elissa but it turns out she's much worse around her sister. Her sister is much better not around her husband, but not by much, as it turns out.  I'm on and off with Rachel, but there is a reason why I never finished watching season 20 and couldn't bring myself to watch season 24. 

I'm sad for Art/JJ to have been eliminated over an unfortunate injury. I was hoping Rupert/Laura or even Corrine/Eliza would be eliminated. In terms of Corrine/Eliza, I assume they were hamming up the "bash other teams" segment but it did work on grating on my nerves. Good job, TAR; I don't like that team. They can go.

There were some mediocre tasks this first leg, but I know they should get harder as the legs go on. Plus, it took out Art/JJ so that's a shame. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Just started the season.  Didn't know it was on--or maybe I did and put off watching because of the "reality" competition.  I know who some of the Survivor people are and Rachel (still annoying) but no one else from Big Brother.   I heard that Colin and Christie were in it and had changed, so I want to see what's what.  I've missed this show.  First greeter! Sumo guy FTW!  

Edited by gryphon

I just did a re-watch of episode 3 of S07; the episode with the infamous MeatBlock.  I bring that up here, because of relevance to Art and JJ.

There was a lot of talk in this thread about Art and JJ having to hope for Rupert and Laura to screw up major in order to even have a chance.  But it's worse than everyone thought. 

Most were assuming that the penalty timer started once Art officially quit the Roadblock.  Not so.  Per the rules as explained back at the MeatBlock, the penalty timer starts once the next team arrives at the Roadblock.  None the time that Art and JJ were just sitting there, waiting for anyone else to show up counted as part of their penalty.  It was wasted time.  Basically, for Art and JJ to advance, Team Tie-Dye would also have needed to quit, or have taken more than 4 hours to complete the Roadblock themselves and then find the Pit Stop.  (Granted, given how long it took them to find the Roadblock in the first place, there was a slim outside chance....) 

Realistically though, Art and JJ were Philiminated the moment they decided to take the penalty.

• Useful 1
On 7/5/2019 at 2:57 AM, gryphon said:

Just started the season.  Didn't know it was on--or maybe I did and put off watching because of the "reality" competition.  I know who some of the Survivor people are and Rachel (still annoying) but no one else from Big Brother.   I heard that Colin and Christie were in it and had changed, so I want to see what's what.  I've missed this show.  First greeter! Sumo guy FTW!  

Enjoy.  It is cool that you don't have to wait a week for the next episode.  Enjoy your binge watch of a great season.

• Love 1