Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Séance & Sensibility

• Start Topic

“Legends assemble!” Ok, DC is having way too much fun trolling Marvel. 

Lady mission! And it’s a Dynasty wedding dressed up like Austen. 

I’ve seen that “take a turn around the room” thing before. Did women of this era really just walk in circles around the room? Cause that would get old fast. 

I’m fully on board with Sanjay being Zari’s love interest rather than Nate. Yowza.  Sadly the show disagrees. 

Con wears his usual attire and Mick basically ate the entire spread at the funeral. Of course. It’d be weird if they didn’t. 

Zari got high off of the ashes of a dead god and turned the mission into a Bollywood musical. Just another Monday. 

Bravo to Hank for having a secret room in the house. I would love to have secret rooms and passages. 

Con knows about Dez. Dun dun!

• Love 9

This show has done so well for three seasons, but they're really messing up on stuff this season. Mona is an unlikable character and I finally pinpointed why I don't like her: the rest of the Legends don't whine and cry more than Mona. All of the Legends have been badasses so when they have to hold Mona's hand and tiptoe around her now that she rages out for "love", it's irritating. Zari was finally smacking some good honest truth to Mona and she turns into a werewolf because she's pissy.

I can't handle Mona's loss over her two second boyfriend. And yeah, I really think she's weakening this season. And, unfortunately for me, she's taken over the last few episodes and I just really hate it. 

This episode also bothered me with them suddenly going from a level 2 (mild flirting with Zari/Nate) to a level 5 (OMG they really like each other!) real fast. I loved Zari and the Hindu God a lot, but Zari/Nate are better off as friends. Plus, this show doesn't need another Legends romantic couple. It's a real shame too. Zari's my favourite character and I'm not fond of them giving her Nate as a love interest. I thought I was cool with it but this episode wasn't great for them.

I don't mind Jane Austen, but I'm not a huge fan, so the episode didn't really work for me. The Hindu stuff was the more interesting part of the episode for me. That Bollywood number was so much fun. 

Ray/Nora is still one of the better parts of this season. Brandon and Courtney must be having a blast getting to now play an onscreen couple. 

Yes! We didn't entirely get rid of Tom Wilson! I did love Hank's spirit bothering Nate for a few scenes. Also, I loved Nate's mother's speech about Hank. Once they stopped with the Zari/Nate stuff, the Nate personal arc was very good. The revelation on what Hank was doing was funny.

Poor Constantine, though. He finally discovers that Neron is alive.

• Love 11

Brandon and Courtney have become my favorite Hollywood couple. They just always seem to have fun onscreen together. And then when Ray was shirtless and climbed into bed with Nora. Hot damn! 

I enjoy the comedy they get out of Zari getting the weirdest types of Legends storylines. I loved the Bollywood number. Beautiful costumes. 

Look. Hank, I'm not sure training magical creatures to work in a theme park is much better than torturing them. I mean, they do have varying levels of sentience. 

They missed an opportunity to have Rebecca Silver Mick meeting Jane Austen. They could have gone so many ways with that. Is he a fangirl? Does he have critiques? How does Jane feel about Garima?

Glad John knows about Pumice Face. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 12

First up, Tala has a lovely singing voice. Also Zari has more chemistry with Kamadeva than Nate (but I totally respect her for going for the threesome).

Nora and Ray are the absolute cutest. They totally blow the rule about real life couples having terrible screen chemistry out the water. 

I may dislike Nate but I live the Ray/Nate bromance with all my heart they are adorable. The cheek kiss aww. Though I couldn’t really get into the emotional goodbye from Nate since just because Hank was collecting creatures for a theme park doesn’t make the fact that he was torturing them any less relevant. 

• Love 11

Charlie getting a kick out of everything was incredible.  Give her more to do.

If we find out most of the stuff between  Brandon and Courtney in this episode wasn't scripted, and was just them going with it, I wouldn't be surprised.

• Love 9

I loved the Bollywood musical number, I wish it was longer. It was so fun. Tala has a nice singing voice. Zari had more chemistry with the God of love than she does with Nate. They finally found a love interest I like with Ray, his irl wife. Lol. 

The change they made for Hank is ridiculous. A theme park. That doesn't seem at all what he was talking about. I guess they need a reason quickly. I'm glad they finally know about Pumice face. Now we can get on with the big bad battle. 

• Love 6

"Hey-World." The fuq?!?

Seriously, Hank's master plan was to gather magical beings . . . and start an amusement park. Turns out Nate might not be the biggest dope in the Heywood family. I mean, Jurassic Park and Westworld (the movie; Hank doesn't seem like an HBO binger to me) alone should have discouraged him. And his kid's drawing inspired Hank, up to and including dealing with a demon. Uggggggggghhhhh.

I'm okay with the rest. I see why Mona would bug, but her heart is in the right place. If she's "cured" and sent back into the public sector, I'd understand.

Nice idea . . . Sanjay spreads serious woo around 1802 Bath and the Waverider, and the whole plot is resolved with a Bollywood number and Mona talking Sanjay and Zari down. Hey, it's Legends. Why the fuck not?!? None of the gang were there for "Duet." Might have been nice for Mick to get dragged into that. Or for him to get possessed by Hank, knocking on John's head and shouting, "Hello? Anybody home?!?" At least we find out Neron is officially the Big Bad . . . though I can't say I like the look. In the eyes of the writers, it was probably better than "Pale git in a green robe."

Awwww, I'd want Nate back on the team just to restore the bromance with Ray. Speaking of whom, how long can he hide Nora? Seems like he's playing with fire . . . even more than Mick.

• Love 2

I am just not that into Mona, and we have had so MUCH of her this season. I dont hate her or anything, but what does she really add to the waverider crew? And I dont think she really gets Jane Austin. *puts on hipster glasses* 

Zari has way more chemistry with the Hindu god than she does with Nate, sorry but its true. I like Zari, and I like Nate, and I like the friendship that they have. A possible romance though? I dont hate it, its just not something I really want. We already have plenty of romances on this show, why add this other one out of nowhere? 

The Bollywood number was fun, and Tala has a really nice voice. I love how Charlie is just down with whatever weird stuff happens to be happening, and that poor, snarky Zari always ends up getting drawn into the most ridiculous of the Legends shenanigans. Kitty cats, musical numbers, ETs homages? Just call Zari! 

Hank wanting to make an amusement park is ridiculous, but it IS Legends, so...

Poor Constantine, not only is the demon alive, but its running around looking like his dead boyfriend. And Sara wont let him smoke his cigarette damn it!

On the other hand of the chemistry spectrum, Nora and Ray were HOT together! I adore them together, and they seriously spark together, and work together super well as characters. Ray climbing into bed with her (not before asking, of course!) was like, damn Palmer!

The scene with Ray and Nate at the funeral was really sweet too. I love how much they love each other, and are totally cool with expressing it. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

This show has done so well for three seasons, but they're really messing up on stuff this season. Mona is an unlikable character and I finally pinpointed why I don't like her: the rest of the Legends don't whine and cry more than Mona. All of the Legends have been badasses so when they have to hold Mona's hand and tiptoe around her now that she rages out for "love", it's irritating. Zari was finally smacking some good honest truth to Mona and she turns into a werewolf because she's pissy.

I can't handle Mona's loss over her two second boyfriend. And yeah, I really think she's weakening this season. And, unfortunately for me, she's taken over the last few episodes and I just really hate it. 

THIS! The majority of folks on the Waverider have been through some serious $#!T before and her being all mopey sadsack about the Werewolf she had a crush on is just ridiculous. Sara has died, been resurrected, watched family and friends die, and fought demons. She shouldn’t have to be coddling some whiner!

but on to the good stuff...

Ray and Nora are adorable! Ray and Nate’s friendship is adorable! Really hoping Nate gives his best bro the benefit of the doubt when it comes out that Ray is hiding Nora on the ship. 

The Bollywood number made me want a full musical episode! Tala Ashe did really great in the lead role this week!

• Love 5

You'd think Sara would recognize the church where Nazis attacked her and other wedding guests just a little over a year ago, but I guess time travelling plays havoc on the memory.

1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

I’ve seen that “take a turn around the room” thing before. Did women of this era really just walk in circles around the room? Cause that would get old fast. 

There's a scene in Pride and Prejudice (the novel) where they do, which ends up in most of the film/TV adaptations.

My understanding is that it was Jane Austen's way of letting readers know just how big Netherfield is - large enough to walk around the room - and Miss Bingley's way of letting Elizabeth Bennet realize just how wealthy the Bingleys are compared to the Bennets, since she adds something along the lines of "you have no idea how refreshing it is," implying that Elizabeth lives in much smaller rooms.

In this case, it just helped remind me that we'd seen that room before in "Hell, no, Dolly," and between that and the church and a reused Flash set I really felt Legends of Tomorrow could use Bingley's money. Or better yet, Darcy's. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5

Meh on the Bollywood stuff. And the Austen stuff.

Loved Ray and Nora. Finally they hooked up.  His Christopher Reeve style Superman though has got to go.  I mean he and Felicity must have hooked up. Can't say he's that much of a boy scout.

I really enjoyed this one.  It was so silly and yet great.  And how adorable was Ray?  He and Nora are like a dream ship for me when it comes to Ray.  I'm so glad they got CF on the show.  Their romance is both hot and adorkable. 

The musical number was fantastic, lol.  I never would have guessed they'd set a Bollywood number in 1802 England.  

I can understand some of the complaints about Mona but i like her addition to the team because she is NOT a fighter and yeah, she did only know Kunani (sp?) for a few weeks but he did get killed right in front of her possibly even to supposedly to save her life. (That was how the agent was acting at least and if Heywood isn't evil I guess that's the reasoning?)

So between her being a hopeless romantic and the trauma, of course she's not going to get over him any time soon.   And I like that she's this timid character that had kind of lived in her own dream world before; she's different from the rest of the group and now she's evolving and I'm curious where they take her.  I do think though that she'll probably take more of a backseat now that she's had her epiphanies.  

The crazy switch from Hank training magical creatures for some military reason to theme park staff is so batshite crazy it works for me.  It's completely deluded but I see it as him trying to kind of do a grand gesture to Nate and trying to think about what he would like and just really getting the whole thing wrong, going about his "training" in a way that WAS torture.  (I'm picturing shock collars and cattle prods to get the point across)

Still, gives Nate some nice closure. 

I think I'm mostly indifferent to a Zari/Nate romance.  I've enjoyed her dry delivery and her pained embarrassment so far though if they really get into each other, that might go away.  On the other hand, Nate will always be fodder for embarrassment.  It kind of feels too soon for Nate to fall in love but meh, it's fine.  I'm sure it won't be too distracting. 

And whoever decided to make it a running gag for Sara to stop Constantine from smoking every time he tries to light up needs a bonus. I laugh every time.      

I'm adding this episode to my list of favorites.  I mean, just for the Ray and Nora stuff it might make the list.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 9

You know, show, if you are trying to sell me on Zari/Nate, maybe don't a) have Zari paired with a guest actor she has way more chemistry with and b) don't highlight what is easily Nate's best relationship in the same episode.  I, of course, am referring to him and Ray, and the great moment where Nate actually didn't hold anything against Ray for trying to help Nora, and their friendship is still strong!  Oh, you two!  Never change!

Fun seeing Jane Austin and I liked the actress who played her, but yeah, I've come to accept that I just don't care about Mona, and am getting tired over the show trying to make her a thing.  I agree that a lot of it is that all of the Legends have arguably suffered even worse, and yet they don't seem be anywhere near of a downer as she is.  And then there are moments where I feel like I'm suppose to be on her side, but I just can't.  Last week it was Sara biting her head off and tonight it was Zari chewing her out.  Both times I suspect I wasn't suppose to be on their sides, but I was just cheering them on.  It sucks since I see potential here and I do think Ramona Young is doing good with what she is given, but I just find her to be a drag and, yeah, these recent episodes have been suffering due to being so Mona-heavy.

The Bollywood stuff was silly and maybe a bit too long, but I still enjoyed it.  Especially seeing Tala Ashe in that outfit!  And that was her actually singing?  I really do think she might be possibly one of the most talented performances out of all the D.C. shows.

I rarely use the term adorable, but damn, if that doesn't describe Ray and Nora to a tee.  Brandon Routh and Courtney Ford seem to be having so much fun in their scenes.

At least Charlie go the participate in the mission this time and brought some good snark!  On the flip side, a bit Mick-lite this go around, but I did enjoy him chowing down on all of the food!  Plus, he kept himself well-behaved during the wake, which is surprising for him and I take that as a sign that he really was trying to be there for Nate and be his, well, normal self.

At long last, Constantine realizes that Desmond is the one behind it all.  Can't wait to see how this will play out. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dippydee said:

Just because Hank was collecting creatures for a theme park doesn’t make the fact that he was torturing them any less relevant. 

I *think* we're intended to believe that all the abuse was being done by Neron's people, not Hank's.  

No, I don't buy it either.

• Useful 2

The good: A werewolf attacking Jane Austen that led into a Bollywood musical that repeatedly broke the 4th wall.  The camaraderie between the characters like Ray pecking Nate and immediately believing Nora was innocent, or the women teasing each other in 1802.  The title was puntastic.

The bad: Hey-World???  I get that Tom Wilson was too likable to make the big bad.  And I get that means he had to be redeemed.  Having Neron kill him after a heel-face turn was a natural end point.  Then revealing that he was using black ops to build a magical monster theme park based on a 9 year old's drawing?  That's too ridiculous for even this show.  Also Mona grates, even in small doses.

• Love 4

I’m just so happy that poor Ray FINALLY gets a love interest that is both as into him as he is into her, and is currently alive! I mean, his fiancé Anna died, Felicity was always going to go back to Oliver, and Kendra was always going back to Hawkdude. It’s just sad that such a lovely person had so little luck in love...until now!

• Love 10

This show continues to be both crazy and awesome, and the writers aren’t scared to go batshit crazy at times and I love all of it! Bollywood in 1802 England was awesome, and I loved everyone in their outfits. The actor that played Sanjay was so charming and perfect as the God of Love, and had really good chemistry with Zari. I am one of the few looking forward to Zari and Nate, but enjoyed her scenes with Sanjay. Tala’s voice was incredible. Zari deadpanning to the camera that her threesome had to be a dream cracked me up.

I really miss the Ray and Nate bromance. Their funeral scene was so sweet.

I can’t get over how adorkable Ray and Norah are. It’s nice seeing a real life couple have such terrific onscreen chemistry, and they seem to have a blast together.

Poor Constantine finding out Desmond is the demon. I still can’t get over how attractive the actor is. 

Loved how Charlie was enjoying all the craziness. I hope she gets more to do in upcoming episodes because she’s so much fun. I am also not as annoyed with Mona this episode as in the past ones. She is understandably hurting from Konami dying, and is helping the team out.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 6

I found Nate's relationship with Amaya repugnant because he always talked down to her. He lectured her about Elvis and other parts of his culture while showing no interest in hers; he treated her like she was some naive, ignorant girl who needed him to sophisticate her. It was painful to watch.

Zari comes across as far more worldly and sophisticated than Nate, so I don't think the same power dynamic will show up. I'm ok with seeing where they take it.

• Love 3

Ugh. This Zari/Nate-mance came out of nowhere (well, last episode, but prior to that nowhere). Zero chemistry, and did they even have a scene together alone before this season? Zari as a character has brought more to the show in one and a half seasons than Nate has in three, and Tala Ashe has shown far more range than Nick Zano. I hate to see her reduced to a love interest just for the sake of giving Nate a storyline now that Hank is gone.

Loved Ray and Nora and the Bollywood sequence. I also enjoyed Mick and Constantine. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop on Mick's advice to Nate, but nope- that was some solid insight... even if Nate took it the wrong way.

Was I the only one that thought they might end with a reveal that the Jane Austen-esque horror books (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, et al) would end up being actual Jane Austen novels after Mona wolfed out? 

• Love 4

Did Zari just dream a threesome and do drugs with a magical creature? This episode was insane. I actually saw some chemistry between Nate and Zari this episode, but I agree with most here that her chemistry was better with Sanjay.

5 minutes ago, Cthulhudrew said:

Ugh. This Zari/Nate-mance came out of nowhere (well, last episode, but prior to that nowhere). Zero chemistry, and did they even have a scene together alone before this season? Zari as a character has brought more to the show in one and a half seasons than Nate has in three, and Tala Ashe has shown far more range than Nick Zano. I hate to see her reduced to a love interest just for the sake of giving Nate a storyline now that Hank is gone.

About two weeks before the premiere, someone leaked a photo of Nate and Zari in the dream sequence that aired tonight. The idea of Nate and Zari dating was so strange everyone assumed it was photoshop. Now here we are. And if anything, I think Nate would be reduced to Zari’s love interest. Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I think the writers prefer writing for her.

There was a point in the Zari’s song when she was listing what she’s been through and it just highlighted that her episodes are always the craziest. I think the writers are trying to top themselves.

I love that Constantine tricked Mick into being a part of the séance, I’m sure he wouldn’t have been helpful otherwise. And now that Constantine knows the truth he can corroborate Nora’s story.

@quarks I appreciate your attention to scenery. I didn’t recognize the church until you mentioned it. 

• Love 3

Yeaaaaahhhhh that was just a bit too insane for me.  Tala has a gorgeous singing voice, and I actually enjoyed the Bollywood section.  And agreed with everyone else that she had more chemistry with Sanjay than Nate.  But other than that..... ehh.  To be fair, a whole episode devoted to love/lust/romance isn’t going to interest me at the best of times, but I feel like I’ve seen this trope done better.  Add Mona’s dramatics on top of that (I am just not warming up to her), and getting some serious second-hand embarrassment from Ray’s antics, and this episode gets a solid C from me.

Hank was building an amusement park? Seriously show? I feel like you’re kind of slipping off the rails here, for more than one reason.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

And whoever decided to make it a running gag for Sara to stop Constantine from smoking every time he tries to light up needs a bonus. I laugh every time.     

Lol totally agreed.  It’s hilarious.  

• Love 3

Mona is like Gary - I can see her working in small doses but she should not be getting the spotlight in consecutive episodes.  The other Legends have their own weird personality quirks but hers are just irritating.  We don't need to see someone who is simultaneously a buzz kill and an irritating fan girl. 

• Love 5

I liked this one more than the previous two episodes.

The musical number and mashing together both Bollywood and Jane Austen worked pretty well in my opinion.

They're going there with Zari and Nate and maybe it'll be fine but I did think she had more chemistry with Sanjay than Nate though.

Charlie really is just down for whatever craziness happens and I love that about the character. Mona is slightly improving as a character but the Wolfie look is bloody awful.

Sara having sex dreams of Ava while Ray and Nora were barely able to fight their own attraction to each other.

They really did a heel turn on Hank in order to make Neron the bigger bad. I'm fine with that. I did like the last scene with Constantine and Neron. 8/10

• Love 5

I like Mona because she's different.  She's not another snarky badass on a ship full of snarky baddasses.  She's more like Ray, but because she's 20 she has more of an excuse for being kind of naive about stuff.  Plus, I liked the way she saved Jane Austen's career and then used Jane Austen's advice to save the team from Bollywood.

Even though I like Ray, I never quite bought that somebody who built a billion dollar corporation would be as he is.  Doing that takes a certain degree of savvy and ruthlessness. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am just not that into Mona, and we have had so MUCH of her this season

I'm pretty sure that she's been the focus of more storyline than Jax or Wally ever were by themselves... Smh

• Love 2

The Hank 180 just doesn't work for me. So he was going to create Jurassic Park with monsters. That's still bad.

I am glad Sara dreamed about Ava.

I don't know how the show can go with Nate/Zari after the amazing chemistry Tala Ashe had with the Sunjay actor this episode.

Too much Mona as always.

• Love 1

This had some fun moments.  I loved the Bollywood number and wished it was longer.  Tala has a great voice.

My favorites were Ray and Nora (especially during the Bollywood number), I love his awkward goofy crush (seriously, what guy hasn't acted that way around a girl he likes) and her mix of annoyance and attraction.  It may be Brandon and Courtney's actual relationship, I don't know, but they play it well.  Best couple on the show.

As for the other couple, I like Zari, and I like Nate, but I don't like them as a couple.  I think the original plan may have been Ray and Zari (which would make more sense) but they switched to Nate when Courtney came along.  Although even as a straight guy, I could see Kamadeva is an easy choice over Nate.

Mona is... I think I realized the problem with Mona is she's superfluous.  She would be fine as a side character with the same screentime as Gary, but to make her part of the crew and the center of the episode (and the horrible wolf transformation) when there are other characters who could do the same thing.  Especially when she takes screen time from the far more interesting Charlie. And I realized that Charlie is into David Bowie (who was not a punk, more glam rock) who changed his image constantly over his career would be perfect for a shapeshifter.

The stuff with the guys and Hank's funeral had potential.  I have to believe that Heyworld has to be a cover of some kind.  The show has always been quirky and sometimes weird, but I don't want to see them cross over into outright ridiculous.  Bit at least they now know that Neron's behind everything.

• Love 4

Sachin Bhatt (Sanjay/Kamadeva) was in an episode of The Santa Clarita Diet that Ramona Young was also in.  I wonder if she mentioned him when they where looking for someone to play Kamadeva.

While Johnny Depp might have been horrible to Amber Heard, he's also why Freddie Highmore was cast as Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Tim Burton was planning to do a worldwide casting search ala Harry Potter to find his Charlie when Depp recommended Highmore, who he'd worked with in Finding Neverland and who he knew was good actor.

I mention that because I wonder how many times an actor gets a gig because another actor mentions them during casting.

• Useful 1

Once again, I LOVE this show and Bollywood Zari is freaking gorgeous.

Ray and Nora continue to be very cute.

I'm going to miss Thomas Wilson but Nate finding that video of Hank's real plans for the creatures was sweet.

13 minutes ago, johntfs said:

I mention that because I wonder how many times an actor gets a gig because another actor mentions them during casting. 

Case in point:

• Love 1

As someone who is starting o dislike Mona, thinks Jane Austen is overhyped and overrated  (my first year of grad school I lived above two Jane Austen LARPers, so I am scarred for life there), and has no interest at all in Zari/Nate broad hints this one was kind of a dud for me.

In so many past episodes they've managed to incorporate the Legends into the past pretty well.  This just seemed clumsy.  Mona felt like the placeholder of someone in the writers' room that is a JA fangirl and her scenes and dialogue with Jane just felt awkward and cringey, imo. 

Someone mentioned in last week's episode that Mona reminds them of how Felicia Day was written on Eureka and I am starting to agree.  I mean they even had to have her save the day for Zari during the Bollywood number.  I really hope it doesn't get to Eureka levels of cannibalism,

I did like a lot of different parts of this ep tho:

- Nora and Ray continue to really charm me

- So nice to see Nate and Ray interact again

- Charlie's delight at everything is fun to watch

- I liked the visuals of the Bollywood number if not the placement of it?  Seemed rather random but everyone looked so fab

- Sanjay was hot!  Like really, really hot... he and Zari were smokin'.  Too bad he was a love god.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Lugal said:

Mona is... I think I realized the problem with Mona is she's superfluous.  She would be fine as a side character with the same screentime as Gary, but to make her part of the crew and the center of the episode (and the horrible wolf transformation) when there are other characters who could do the same thing.  Especially when she takes screen time from the far more interesting Charlie. And I realized that Charlie is into David Bowie (who was not a punk, more glam rock) who changed his image constantly over his career would be perfect for a shapeshifter.

Yes, this! It's the same problem I have with Wells on The Flash. Everything Mona does would be better done by a character they already have. Like as @bettername2come said - I want to see Mick meet Jane Austen. Why couldn't "Rebecca Silver" have been the one realized something was amiss while writing his next novel? Or they needed someone to be over the top about love to push Zari? Sara and Charlie would have filled that role just fine. Charlie has gotten very little to do as a "new" character, I'd like to see her get more time. Or they just need something weird and wacky to happen - they have Gary for that. The cast is already quite big, and while I know we can't keep the same characters forever, Mona isn't adding anything unique (besides being a werewolf, but again - Charlie is a shapeshifter. And I'd rather have more Charlie.)

• Love 6

The Bollywood number could have also been a reference to "Bride and Predudice"; a Bollywood/Jane Austen crossover.

Tala's singing made it better in its own right.  I'm in the group that only likes a musical number if it's done either really well, or really badly and briefly for laughs.  This was almost TOO good, but I enjoyed it immensely. 

I think it's because this show is trying to be mostly light and silly, but again, it's so well done that it's easy to take seriously.  I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm glad they're not Fantastic-4-ing it.

• Love 4

Oh show - not sure I could love you more. First Tolkien and now Austen! And then go batshit crazy (of course!) and throw in shout-outs to 'Bride and Prejudice' and 'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' (werewolves/zombies who cares). And you got Austen right - her advice to Mona was spot on. 'Surrender' had surprisingly poignant lyrics - especially when juxtaposed with all the hot steamy dream sequences. I guess Ray and Nora were the only couple that managed to take things into reality? But these two are fitting Austen's ideal (I'd like to think they also do IRL, aww) and so Miss Austen would approve.

Don't care about demons and idiotic theme parks because the rest was awesome. Also: I need Mona's shirt!

As for 'take a turn around the room': the reason for doing this is exactly the one mentioned in P&P. It's to give the gentlemen a chance to ogle admire the ladies. Regency dresses were made from soft, thin fabrics that would cling to the body revealing the female silhouette (undergarments were relatively flimsy too, some scandalous ladies even ditched stays). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

For a show that has been extremely solid for two and a half seasons, I have been so disappointed since this came back from the recent winter break, because it seems like the writers are still on that break. Ava's sudden breakup with Sara, Mona's bad wolfie story line, Zari's out of the blue Nate crush, Hank and his stupid magical creature theme park idea (which makes his character as stupid as his other character Biff). Since these are short seasons I am really hoping things pick back up for the remaining episodes and bring the high quality entertainment back.

• Love 4

I liked Jane Austen England, and I liked the Bollywood thing, I just thought it was really weird to have them together at the same time.

Too much Mona.  Mona is eating the show.  She's practically become the show's lead actress.  Why?????  I thought they got rid of Amaya because the special effects were too costly, yet now they are having Mona hulk out every episode?  Too much Mona, not enough Charlie.  Charlie needs way more to do and she's a fun character.

• Love 6
On 4/16/2019 at 2:45 AM, Cthulhudrew said:

Was I the only one that thought they might end with a reveal that the Jane Austen-esque horror books (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, et al) would end up being actual Jane Austen novels after Mona wolfed out? 

No you were not the only one, lol.  P&P&Zombies was a surprisingly good book.  

• Love 2

Well she would've wrote Pride and Prejudice and Werewolves. 

I think this show is suffering from the season 4 curse the other shows had. There are moments I like in each in episode but overall so far this season has been kind of meh. I think the half focus on the Time Bureau hurt this season. The show is called Legends of Tomorrow not the Time Bureau. I hope they are gone next season or limited like they were in season 3.  

• Love 2
On 4/15/2019 at 6:01 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I don't mind Jane Austen, but I'm not a huge fan, so the episode didn't really work for me. The Hindu stuff was the more interesting part of the episode for me. That Bollywood number was so much fun. 

I'm just the opposite.  I felt like they thought "we have to have a Bollywood number" (for reasons I won't go into here), so the choice of the Hindu love god (as opposed to all the other choices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_love_and_lust_deities) was determined by that.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2019 at 8:26 AM, Proteus said:

Too much Mona as always.

Overall, I still find it pretty hard to dislike much about this show.   It is such a good natured ray of sunshine, and everyone involved seems to be having such a good time making it, that I can roll  with wacko plot lines (Nick and Zari? ok)  or character motivations (demon amusement park? fine) that are hard to track etc.  Mona is the one exception - she is the very definition of "extra", and her dialog, plot, and even voice are just grating.  The FX for her change are really bad too (even by Legends standards).  I just don't see a real need or reason for her to be part of the team. 

Otherwise, this episode was a blast.  The guest star was sexy, the musical number was a hoot, Ray and Nora were adorable (you go, sexy fantasy consent-sensitive Ray), and Mick and Constantine always make a good tag team. 

• Love 3