Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E15: Angela's Story

• Start Topic

I think she did lose weight, and then started regaining quickly before she made her ER trip.   That was her way of getting out of going back to Houston.      I'm sure they weighed her at the ER, and that's when she found out she wasn't sick (which she already knew), and had started regaining.    The last scenes showed her face round again, and her usual outfit was super tight, and stretched at the end of the episode.     

I think she lost a decent amount of weight, but regained everything she lost, and more by the end.      It scares me to death that Angela is the best guardian that CPS could find for the little girl.    I hope her mother turns her life around, and gets her daughter back, or else Lacy will grow up to be the permanent caretaker to Angela.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

The only thing I got from this was it made me crave cheese eggs from the Waffle House, yum! 

Well, there is a Waffle House near us, but this show made me really want to go to Whataburger, but I guess I will have to wait until our next road trip to Texas. It is one of the few fast food burger places I like.    Sigh......

9 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

”If we don’t find a way (to get to Houston), then we’ll just use all the money on my credit card to make funeral arrangements.”

So glad I didn't choose death related words for a drinking game or I would be dead.

I finally watched the first 90 minutes last night, but I couldn't re-watch the last 30 minutes.

Did I understand he wanted her to lose 40 pound in two munt?  He must be really concerned about underlying health issues. 

I was confused about Erik.  He seemed okay when he met her, while driving, but they stop in a hotel and he needs supplemental oxygen.   Maybe her bitching really does suck all the air out of the room.   I was glad he did not rise to the bait by calling her a bitch after she basically triple-dog dared him to do so.  

I didn't understand the reluctance of her family to send her to Texas except maybe no one else wanted to take care of Lacy;  I do understand no one wanting to move with her and take care of her in Houston so I guess that's it.  Plus they all know her drug and alcohol issues so they might think it is a lost cause.  Probably it was, since she already had wls before. 

I liked her calico cat.   And Lacy. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

Maybe it's just me but I felt we were missing elements of her story & how she turned out the way she did. 

I think Dr. Now gave her a low number because he seemed to know from the beginning she wasn't ready. If she had actually made those numbers & come back for weigh in I think he would've upped it a bit to test her readiness again, before approving surgery.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Wouldn't Angela get $ for taking in Lacy? 

Maybe. If Child Services is involved and Lacy is formally in care, then yes, Angela would get money from the state (not a lot) for her care. Lacy also would be eligible for Medicaid. However, Angela would have to complete a home study and required training (one time and ongoing) to maintain eligibility as a foster parent. Lacy would be in the state's custody and they would be conducting regular visits to the home and working on a permanency plan for her (reunification with her parents or termination of parental rights so she could be adopted).

Sometimes when parents cannot care for a child, they can make arrangements for a friend or family member to care for the child without the child going into state custody. This is not uncommon. While the guardian is not then eligible for foster care payments, they also do not have to complete training or have the ongoing involvement of social services in their lives.

It wasn't clear to me which arrangement was the case with Angela and Lacy.

If Lacy was in the state's custody, Child and Family Services would have to consent for her to be on the show. I would think that they would be extremely reluctant to do that. If she is not in state custody, her parents or Angela, as her guardian could consent.

• Useful 8
  • Love 5
24 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

It wasn't clear to me which arrangement was the case with Angela and Lacy

Wouldn't the child have to have her own bedroom if it was formal legal foster care?

Also am I the only one that tries to read Dr. Now's medical notes? I keep trying to see if the says "patient is quite obviously BSC" 😆

I also thought it was funny that she was wearing her "little" black dress on the trip down. Look out Eric....she's getting her sexy on. 😍

• LOL 10
  • Love 6

Wouldn't the child have to have her own bedroom if it was formal legal foster care?

It depends on the state. Generally the child cannot share a bed but having her own bedroom is not necessarily a requirement. She could share with a same-gender sibling or sometimes any sibling depending on the age of the children. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

It depends on the state. Generally the child cannot share a bed but having her own bedroom is not necessarily a requirement. She could share with a same-gender sibling or sometimes any sibling depending on the age of the children. 

But she is sharing it with a woman who cannot wear underwear and seems to let her you know what hang out. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Angela's children seemed to have a much worse childhood than she did, and they weren't 600 pounds. However, the whole family sounded like they were various kinds of screwed up.

If she had really lost a ton of weight, I would think she would be trying to find a scale somewhere to weigh her so she could prove it. But she did seem to be moving around easier. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Sir RaiderDuck OMS said:

*”If we don’t find a way (to get to Houston), then we’ll just use all the money on my credit card to make funeral arrangements.” Psychic vampire much?

"Let's see what each costs, then we can make a better choice."

3 hours ago, Twopper said:

Well, there is a Waffle House near us, but this show made me really want to go to Whataburger, but I guess I will have to wait until our next road trip to Texas.

Whataburger is in Florida.  

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I do not know what I think of this episode.   

Yes, in most instances if you take someone into foster care you are paid by the state.  If the child is handicapped, you are paid quite a bit.  That payment stops at age 18.

I do feel very sorry for Lacey.   What a horrible future of abuse she may have ahead of her.

Those splayed legs--I will never unsee that.

I love it when Dr. Now says "You got that?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Those splayed legs--I will never unsee that.

I thought it odd when during their trip to TX in the van she was so uncomfortable & one of the reasons she stated was not being able to get her legs together - I thought, 'What's different about that all of a sudden?'.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

So much to address in this episode!  First, the zero calorie bbq sauce - Walden Farms makes a whole line of zero cal sauces, condiments, dressings & syrups.  They are disgusting.  I like Guy's or G. Hughes sugar free bbq sauce (10 cals per serving) & Joseph's sugar free maple syrup.  They are really tasty.

Her ER visit.  Based on her nonsensical ramblings in the car on the way to the hospital, I was thinking her O2 levels were too low, or she had taken too many pain pills.  I know that when my father-in-law had low O2 levels, he would start to talk crazy (more so than his normal dementia-induced crazy ramblings).  In hind sight, I think it was her addiction to pain pills.  Although it was believable to met that she might need the ER, given what looked to be an ulcer I noticed on one leg, and the possible celllulitis on the other.  I pointed those out to my husband at the beginning of the episode, and I'm surprised Dr. Now didn't address them at her only appt.

Also with regard to the ER visit, how dare she use the ER services for a non-emergency!  That's one of the reasons our healthcare costs are so high.  Thankfully I have very good insurance, albeit with high premium costs.  But it costs me $750 to set foot in the ER - so unless I'm having chest pains or there's a bone poking out from my skin, or I'm bleeding uncontrollably I'll be making an appt. with my doctor, or visiting a walk-in clinic. 

I SO wanted a final weigh in from her, even if it was from a local doctor, or her ER visit.  It was clear that she'd lost weight, but I'd like to know how much.

At least she took Lacey to the ice cream shop for a single serving, rather than buying a tub of ice cream like other poundicipants have done.  It teaches Lacey that you can be healthy by having a once in a while treat, without going totally overboard on an otherwise unhealthy item.

Someone upthread mentioned a tax on "unhealthy" foods.  Hell no.  We don't need anymore of a nanny state than we already have.  And who's to decide the value of a healthy food?  My family and I are LC/keto - we have improved our health and reversed medical conditions and lost weight by eating cheeseburgers without the buns,  cheesy eggs, bacon, sausage and full fat products like cream and butter.  Why should we be punished, when those foods have been beneficial to us?

These are some more recent photos of Angela (Dec/Jan).  She appears to be doing keto now - I only hope she doesn't bastardize the diet to do it "her way" and then complain that keto doesn't work if she gains or doesn't lose enough. 
https://realityblurb.com/2019/04/10/photos-see-my-600-lb-life-star-angela-gutierrez-weight-loss-photos-update/

• Love 11

I spent the entire episode correcting her English. 

She was never accepted in “the program” because she never went back for a second appointment.  I don’t think she would have succeeded anyway (neither did Dr. Now).  If she thinks she can lose all of that weight on her own, I wish her luck. 

By not continuing (or starting) the program Angela has lost any hope of having that giant apron of skin hanging down to her knees (and her lymphedema) removed for free. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, flappa1016 said:

So much to address in this episode!  First, the zero calorie bbq sauce - Walden Farms makes a whole line of zero cal sauces, condiments, dressings & syrups.  They are disgusting.  I like Guy's or G. Hughes sugar free bbq sauce (10 cals per serving) & Joseph's sugar free maple syrup.  They are really tasty.

Her ER visit.  Based on her nonsensical ramblings in the car on the way to the hospital, I was thinking her O2 levels were too low, or she had taken too many pain pills.  I know that when my father-in-law had low O2 levels, he would start to talk crazy (more so than his normal dementia-induced crazy ramblings).  In hind sight, I think it was her addiction to pain pills.  Although it was believable to met that she might need the ER, given what looked to be an ulcer I noticed on one leg, and the possible celllulitis on the other.  I pointed those out to my husband at the beginning of the episode, and I'm surprised Dr. Now didn't address them at her only appt.

Also with regard to the ER visit, how dare she use the ER services for a non-emergency!  That's one of the reasons our healthcare costs are so high.  Thankfully I have very good insurance, albeit with high premium costs.  But it costs me $750 to set foot in the ER - so unless I'm having chest pains or there's a bone poking out from my skin, or I'm bleeding uncontrollably I'll be making an appt. with my doctor, or visiting a walk-in clinic. 

I SO wanted a final weigh in from her, even if it was from a local doctor, or her ER visit.  It was clear that she'd lost weight, but I'd like to know how much.

At least she took Lacey to the ice cream shop for a single serving, rather than buying a tub of ice cream like other poundicipants have done.  It teaches Lacey that you can be healthy by having a once in a while treat, without going totally overboard on an otherwise unhealthy item.

Someone upthread mentioned a tax on "unhealthy" foods.  Hell no.  We don't need anymore of a nanny state than we already have.  And who's to decide the value of a healthy food?  My family and I are LC/keto - we have improved our health and reversed medical conditions and lost weight by eating cheeseburgers without the buns,  cheesy eggs, bacon, sausage and full fat products like cream and butter.  Why should we be punished, when those foods have been beneficial to us?

These are some more recent photos of Angela (Dec/Jan).  She appears to be doing keto now - I only hope she doesn't bastardize the diet to do it "her way" and then complain that keto doesn't work if she gains or doesn't lose enough. 
https://realityblurb.com/2019/04/10/photos-see-my-600-lb-life-star-angela-gutierrez-weight-loss-photos-update/

Well she doesn't look any thinner in those pictures! 

• LOL 4

I'm so upset that I didn't get to watch this live and participate in the live chat!  This one was a doozy!   I actually really enjoyed this one, I was laughing and yelling and cursing at Angela during the entire 2 hours.  Especially after how sad I was for Kelly, who was the complete opposite of this lazy, delusional twit.

I haven't had a chance to read everyone's comments yet, so my apologies if I'm being repetitive.

*Firstly, just how damn cute is Dr. Now?  Seeing him and listening to his adorable mishmash accent of middle eastern meets Texas, makes me grin like a madwoman.  And when he is extra sassy, he gets even cuter. It's just ridiculous how much I love and admire Dr. Now. 😍

*Lacey deserves so much better.  I really like her, and I hate that she is stuck with this horrible, horrible woman.  My son will be leaving for college in a couple of years, and I don't look forward to having no kids in our house.  I would love to have Lacey;  I wish I could move her in with us tomorrow.  It angers me thinking about this lovely young lady having to live in that environment. Surely there is someone else in her extended family that could raise her.  I mean, if Angela is the best choice, that is Goddamn terrifying!  

*Angela reminds me so much of Penny, with wanting to do Dr. Now's program her own way, because of course she knows better, the whining, the shoe-less shuffle, the ability to know how much weight she's losing without the benefit of a scale, the child that deserves so, so much better, the talking back to Dr. Now, the way I could practically smell her putrid scent through the TV, etc...

*She was 606 I think at the beginning?  I bet she was over 700 by the end of the show. Losing weight my ass!  

*Is it horrible of me that this was one of my favorite 600 pound shows lately?  I laughed, and laughed and laught my stupid ass off.  I hate that I didn't get to watch it live; my husband and son absolutely refuse to watch this with me now because they claim

1 ) This show is disgusting, and there is something seriously wrong with me that I love this show, and

2) They claim I get a bit "worked up" and "overly animated, so now I have to talk to myself and the TV.  Lies.  All Lies.

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Twopper said:

Well, there is a Waffle House near us, but this show made me really want to go to Whataburger, but I guess I will have to wait until our next road trip to Texas. It is one of the few fast food burger places I like.    Sigh......

So glad I didn't choose death related words for a drinking game or I would be dead.

I finally watched the first 90 minutes last night, but I couldn't re-watch the last 30 minutes.

Did I understand he wanted her to lose 40 pound in two munt?  He must be really concerned about underlying health issues. 

I was confused about Erik.  He seemed okay when he met her, while driving, but they stop in a hotel and he needs supplemental oxygen.   Maybe her bitching really does suck all the air out of the room.   I was glad he did not rise to the bait by calling her a bitch after she basically triple-dog dared him to do so.  

I didn't understand the reluctance of her family to send her to Texas except maybe no one else wanted to take care of Lacy;  I do understand no one wanting to move with her and take care of her in Houston so I guess that's it.  Plus they all know her drug and alcohol issues so they might think it is a lost cause.  Probably it was, since she already had wls before. 

I liked her calico cat.   And Lacy. 

Hey Twopper. Hmmm, now I want a Whataburger AND a waffle from Waffle House! Never had a Whataburger but they sound delicious but I have had waffles from the Waffle House and they are some kinda good.

Back to Angela, the bolded part of your post made me wonder if there might be a more sinister, but totally understandable, reason for the family not wanting her to go to Houston. Maybe, just maybe they want her to hurry up and fulfill her dire prediction of imminent death. I mean she must have referenced herself dying soon eleventy million times during her episode.

So the family might be "Yeah, please stay, keep stuffing your face, keel over and spare us all from your needy, whiney, funky, giant woman-baby ass. Don't worry about credit cards, we'll all be happy to chip in for your funeral. Buh bye."

I know, I know I'm evil for thinking this.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

"There's no reason why I can't lose weight on my own in Ohio"... other than not doing shit for 44 years. 

Angela put on lipliner because she heard it makes you look 450 pounds thinner. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 11

*Lacey deserves so much better.  I really like her, and I hate that she is stuck with this horrible, horrible woman.  My son will be leaving for college in a couple of years, and I don't look forward to having no kids in our house.  I would love to have Lacey;  I wish I could move her in with us tomorrow.  It angers me thinking about this lovely young lady having to live in that environment. Surely there is someone else in her extended family that could raise her.  I mean, if Angela is the best choice, that is Goddamn terrifying!  

Consider becoming a foster parent! The need is great and there are many wonderful children who could benefit!

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

If Lacy was in the state's custody, Child and Family Services would have to consent for her to be on the show.

I didn't know that. That's interesting. Hopefully, they don't allow a child to be on a reality show. 

In the article, she said she had been to a doctor, and the writer speculated she went back to Dr. Now. Don't scare us like that. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, auntjess said:

Whataburger is in Florida.  

Yes, I know, but we have recently been traveling much more to Texas than Florida.    The first one outside of Texas was built in Pensacola, and we passed it on Gregory Street on our way to and from the beach when I was growing up.   Great burgers.  I think there is one in sw Georgia, too, but none in Atlanta so far, but then Atlanta has Waffle House so there's that.  We have stopped at Whataburgers in Louisiana, too.   We still go back to  Pensacola from time to time so maybe there is a trip there in my near future. 

Somewhat more related to the show------we were watching stuff on the DVR this afternoon clearing room for GoT, and one of the movies that has been patiently waiting for us to watch was "The Greatest Showman."   There is a scene where the fat man comes in and Barnum asks how much he weighs, and the man says "500" pounds.  I laughed because with people in the 600 and 700's and a few even higher he wouldn't attract much attention today.  And, of course, Barnum billed him as 750 pounds. 

I was in a local restaurant today that specializes in fried chicken, and I sat there guessing people's weights.  My eating habit was not good.  I had the fried catfish because it was the only fish on the menu and it is still Lent. I did have a side salad.  I am still stuffed so I think dinner may be some hot tea and a few crackers.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I read the article and she seems to be under the illusion/delusion that it's her decision to re-join Dr. Now's program which would be bassackwards. At least that's what seemed to be implied. However, TLC is probably already in discussions with her for a Where Are They Now episode. <<<shudder>>>

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Twopper said:

I was in a local restaurant today that specializes in fried chicken, and I sat there guessing people's weights.  My eating habit was not good.  I had the fried catfish because it was the only fish on the menu and it is still Lent. I did have a side salad.  I am still stuffed so I think dinner may be some hot tea and a few crackers.

What? No grapes? No oranges? ☺

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Shrink quote.
  • LOL 4

I could see Dr. Now letting her rejoin -- after months of proving she's ready to commit. I don't see him necessarily accepting keto, as it's quite different from his diet, per what we know from the show.

If she really went keto, I could see her losing a lot of weight quickly. Initially. I could also see her letting that way of eating fall by the wayside, esp. if she keeps drinking or deciding that ice cream and hamburger buns have a special place in her life.

For those suggesting a local doctor, my guess is the number of bariatric surgeons willing to take on a 600-lb woman (even a 500-lb woman) for her second WLS is going to be a small number.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, DropTheSoap said:

deciding that ice cream and hamburger buns have a special place in her life.

They have a special place in my heart....💖 but after I turned 60 they also had a special place on my ass. So we had to part ways. 😘

• LOL 10
3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

What? No grapes? No oranges? ☺

No grapes or oranges so far today, but I did have fresh pineapple at breakfast as well as a bowl of steel cut oatmeal.  There were a few raisins in the oatmeal, so in that sense I had some former grapes.  There are still grapes in the fridge, and oranges and bananas on the table, but I don't think I can eat much tonight at all.   As Richard Simmons said with his Deal-a-Meal plan, when you have used up all your calories for the day you are done eating.  (not sure of the exact quote).  I am sure I have exceeded the daily  recommended calorie count already.  

I am not at all hungry.  I don't think I can get on this show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, DropTheSoap said:

I could see Dr. Now letting her rejoin -- after months of proving she's ready to commit. I don't see him necessarily accepting keto, as it's quite different from his diet, per what we know from the show.

If she really went keto, I could see her losing a lot of weight quickly. Initially. I could also see her letting that way of eating fall by the wayside, esp. if she keeps drinking or deciding that ice cream and hamburger buns have a special place in her life.

For those suggesting a local doctor, my guess is the number of bariatric surgeons willing to take on a 600-lb woman (even a 500-lb woman) for her second WLS is going to be a small number.

Yeah, you're probably right about Dr. Now letting her back into the program. He definitely will not allow her to do Keto because his diet is high protein/low carb/low fat. My guess as to why he does the low fat part is that those who eventually get bariatric surgery have issues with digesting large amounts of fat and may want them to get used to that before surgery.

BTW, I do low carb, though I've been bad lately, and I think Keto is great!

• Love 2

When you take in a relative here, it’s called kinship foster care. They don’t have to have the home study or training ahead of time, but take the training later. It’s supposed to be less traumatic for the kids. They get the same funding as regular foster parents. 

Everything here is focused on family reunification. The kids are usually completely screwed up teenagers by the time parental rights are finally terminated. Not so in the US. If your kid is in foster care for a certain number of months, your rights are terminated. Having any family member willing to take a kid in prevents that. They might not get foster care money, but would probably qualify for welfare. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Drogo said:

That's a hell of a parking job, doofus. 15551024519583726888533052732492.thumb.jpg.aa1deef451e9b769813753b0e26a0495.jpg

I was wondering why she took a handicapped space if she wasn't leaving the car.  Lacy was perfectly capable of walking a few more feet.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Twopper said:

Somewhat more related to the show------we were watching stuff on the DVR this afternoon clearing room for GoT, and one of the movies that has been patiently waiting for us to watch was "The Greatest Showman."   There is a scene where the fat man comes in and Barnum asks how much he weighs, and the man says "500" pounds.  I laughed because with people in the 600 and 700's and a few even higher he wouldn't attract much attention today.  And, of course, Barnum billed him as 750 pounds. 

I LOVED The Greatest Showman! I hope you enjoyed it.

I didn't know that. That's interesting. Hopefully, they don't allow a child to be on a reality show. 

I can't imagine they would. Generally speaking, Child and Family Services agencies have very strict rules to prevent the privacy of the children in their care. They don't usually allow photos of the children to be posted on social media. It can be hard to get consent for things participating in sports teams and field trips. So permission to appear in a reality tv show seems particularly unlikely.

Everything here is focused on family reunification. The kids are usually completely screwed up teenagers by the time parental rights are finally terminated. Not so in the US. If your kid is in foster care for a certain number of months, your rights are terminated. Having any family member willing to take a kid in prevents that. They might not get foster care money, but would probably qualify for welfare. 

I'm not sure where you are, but this isn't entirely correct. In the US foster care system, familly reunification (and increasingly, family preservation - preventing kids from coming into care) is emphasized and considered to be the best option if the child can be safely returned home. About 60 percent of children who exit US foster care do so to be reunified with their birth parents, so that is the most common outcome. 

The law that you are talking about is the Adoption and Safe Families Act, which was designed to prevent children from languishing in foster care for many years. It stipulates that parental rights are to be terminated after the child has been in care for 16 months. In reality, though, it's not that cut and dried and there are still many children who spend a much longer time in care. Many families who are system involved have multiple and complex issues and 16 months often isn't sufficient time to strengthen the family enough to bring the child or children back home. 

Also, here kinship foster parents (if they are a kinship placement) can receive the foster care payment but simply taking in foster children would not qualify them for cash assistance ("welfare."). The child would qualify for Medicaid as virtually all children in foster care are Medicaid eligible. But the family would have to qualify for Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) based on family size and income - and not solely because they have agreed to take in a foster child.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I did.  It has been on our dvr since June.   I  thought it was better than La La Land which I also liked, but that may be because it is more recent in my memory.  I liked the music better.

2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I was wondering why she took a handicapped space if she wasn't leaving the car.  Lacy was perfectly capable of walking a few more feet.  

I was going to say "force  of habit," but I am not sure how long she had been  driving again.  Considering how poorly she parked, I would think she is still out of practice.

• Love 3

This whole episode confused me so much. She kept insisting she lost 70 lbs, then 120 lbs (or was it 150?) but yet when Dr. Now asked her how she knew her weight, if she had been weighed recently, she said no. She just "assumed" her weight. HTF does one assume their weight exactly? And at the end, she said she chose Lacy over her own health. What in Sam's hell does that even mean? You chose the young child in your care over your health? You cannot take care of her and yourself both? She was not nearly as annoying as Schenee or Robert or the Assanti brothers, but I am confused about this one. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

And at the end, she said she chose Lacy over her own health. What in Sam's hell does that even mean? You chose the young child in your care over your health? You cannot take care of her and yourself both? 

That line pissed me off so much. And it came after whining numerous times about how she should either go to Dr. Now or plan her funeral. Newsflash: You can't take care of anyone if you're dead. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I know we’ve talked before about people being required to go through some therapy before weight loss surgery. If this chick received any kind of counseling before her prior WLS, it certainly didn’t take. What a crazypants. 

• LOL 10
26 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I know we’ve talked before about people being required to go through some therapy before weight loss surgery. If this chick received any kind of counseling before her prior WLS, it certainly didn’t take. What a crazypants. 

Yes she is but at least you can take comfort in knowing that you and this special snowflake share the same first name LOL! 😆

• LOL 1
50 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I can somewhat understand the reasoning behind therapy afterward----the person can't eat as much which is frustrating so perhaps they are a little more responsive to the therapy at that point.  In this woman's case, she had already failed with WLS so clearly any therapy she had did not work.  In her case I would think he would require lots of therapy for her before doing any surgery.  I guess her stomach has stretched out again, so I guess he could do a sleeve on her, but I think her chance for success especially with other additions would be almost zero. I am sure she wants the lympedema removed, and I am sure it would make her mobility much better, but he did that for Robert Buchel who couldn't get over his addiction to pain pills and we see how that didn't end well.  Also Charity went back to pain pills after that surgery as well. So I can see why he didn't offer it to Angela.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I watched this yesterday. At first I thought Angela was refreshing and seemed independent and very self aware. Then it became apparent that she is just another, if more mentally stable, Schenee. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I can't imagine they would. Generally speaking, Child and Family Services agencies have very strict rules to prevent the privacy of the children in their care. They don't usually allow photos of the children to be posted on social media. It can be hard to get consent for things participating in sports teams and field trips. So permission to appear in a reality tv show seems particularly unlikely.

I'm not sure where you are, but this isn't entirely correct. In the US foster care system, familly reunification (and increasingly, family preservation - preventing kids from coming into care) is emphasized and considered to be the best option if the child can be safely returned home. About 60 percent of children who exit US foster care do so to be reunified with their birth parents, so that is the most common outcome. 

The law that you are talking about is the Adoption and Safe Families Act, which was designed to prevent children from languishing in foster care for many years. It stipulates that parental rights are to be terminated after the child has been in care for 16 months. In reality, though, it's not that cut and dried and there are still many children who spend a much longer time in care. Many families who are system involved have multiple and complex issues and 16 months often isn't sufficient time to strengthen the family enough to bring the child or children back home. 

Also, here kinship foster parents (if they are a kinship placement) can receive the foster care payment but simply taking in foster children would not qualify them for cash assistance ("welfare."). The child would qualify for Medicaid as virtually all children in foster care are Medicaid eligible. But the family would have to qualify for Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF) based on family size and income - and not solely because they have agreed to take in a foster child.

Thanks for the update. I’ve been in Alberta for 15 years now. Before that I fostered in Florida and Oklahoma. Both those states have incredibly sad foster systems. I’ve been taking care of kids born with fetal alcohol for over 35 years. Started with a nephew I took in when I was still in university. Right now we take in “kids” who have aged out without being adopted. They are 27, 24, and 19. All are so developmentally disabled due to their parents bad choices that we will have them permanently.

I took care of kids in Florida when I was at my heaviest weight. I drove, wore clothes, took care of my own hygiene, but I couldn’t be the best parent because of my size. The fact that I was still the best person for the job just means their real parents were pieces of carp and there wasn’t anyone else to do the job. 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

Thanks for the update. I’ve been in Alberta for 15 years now. Before that I fostered in Florida and Oklahoma. Both those states have incredibly sad foster systems. I’ve been taking care of kids born with fetal alcohol for over 35 years. Started with a nephew I took in when I was still in university. Right now we take in “kids” who have aged out without being adopted. They are 27, 24, and 19. All are so developmentally disabled due to their parents bad choices that we will have them permanently.

I took care of kids in Florida when I was at my heaviest weight. I drove, wore clothes, took care of my own hygiene, but I couldn’t be the best parent because of my size. The fact that I was still the best person for the job just means their real parents were pieces of carp and there wasn’t anyone else to do the job. 

Wow! Thank you for all you have done! 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

But...she doesn't wear pants... 😜

• LOL 12

Psychic Vampire also describes my mother, so I guess I have a lot of siblings on this board that Mommy forgot to mention.  

The pre-"journey" therapy is very cursory, it must be for someone with addiction issues, suicide attempts, and all kinds of other problems to pass it.    I imagine the psychological screening is not therapy, but just to make sure competent to sign consent forms.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

Mine stopped when I got above 550 or so. 

Who was it that freaked out when she discovered she was bleeding and it was just that she had lost enough weight to get her period again?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Which made me think--what do these women do during their periods?

One of the grossest moments of many with Lupe was when she wondered where the blood was coming from, because she had lost some weight and started menstruating again.

Though, Bette Jo and others manage to get pregnant while very heavy.  Probably hormones which control so much.

• Love 2