Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Winterfell

Message added by Meredith Quill

Mod Notice:

Sniping about the opinions of other members, whether individually or en masse, violates our Golden: Be Civil rule. This includes telling others to "stop talking about 'X'". Please keep your comments to the episode only.

Thanks.

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Daenerys arrives at Winterfell, and Jon Snow gets some big news.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. previews) should be in spoiler tags.

Good Lord, they had the awkward turned up to eleven in this one. Of course they saved the best (worst) for last: Bran waiting on his "old friend".
Nice quotes: "Back, he's got blue eyes!" "I've always had blue eyes!"

"So what do dragons eat, anyways?" "Anything they want."

"When you left you were King in the North. I don't know what you are now."

• Love 24
1 minute ago, dbell1 said:

Why was it so easy to spring Yara when Euron originally managed to burn all but three ships and kill most of their men last time they met?

He was "occupied". Speaking of, I was wondering what Cersei was up to, other than "a girl's gotta eat." Then when Euron rubbed her belly, I got it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I loved this episode for all the character moments, and for showing its handful of flashes of joy in the middle of all the worry. Jon and Dany out dragon riding was beautiful. Arya and all her reunions, that was a mix although, I guess we shouldn't be too surprised to find her feelings re: the Hound are still unresolved.

• Love 10

The moment where Dany tells Jon that they can stay at the waterfall for 1000 years and no one will ever find them..  is just a little too sadly reminiscent of the Ygritte+John moment when she said she never wants them to leave the cave.  

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Good Lord, they had the awkward turned up to eleven in this one. Of course they saved the best (worst) for last: Bran waiting on his "old friend".

1 minute ago, dbell1 said:

Poor Sam. Finding out his dad and brother are dead and then being sent to tell Jon who his daddy really was.

. . .

Arya and Jon reuniting was everything. And seeing her with Gendry was awesome too. Keep think of Robert telling Eddard that his boy should wed Ned's daughter. 

Dragons hate cold. No crap.

The awkward was amazing and poor Sam was in the middle of so much of it. 

Arya and Jon got me a little teary. I loved the scene where Arya reacted to seeing everyone. 

• Love 13
Just now, AimingforYoko said:

He was "occupied". Speaking of, I was wondering what Cersei was up to, other than "a girl's gotta eat." Then when Euron rubbed her belly, I got it.

She's going to need a father for that baby that isn't fighting for the other side. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

Speaking of Cersei's belly, what's up with the wine?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Cross posted from the other thread:

I'm glad Sam dropped the bomb on Jon early in the season. I didn't want that dragged out. The dragons being all "ew" to seeing Jon/Dany sexytime was funny.

Lots of great reunions: Arya and Jon, Arya and Gendry, Arya and the Hound, Theon and Yara, Jaime and Bran!!! I like that the show hasn't forgotten the human element.

I'm with Sansa about Dany. You can't just ride in on your dragons and proclaim yourself queen and expect everyone to bend the knee. This is the thing that's Dany's downfall -- she's always felt entitled to rule, and always hits up against the reality that saying you're the queen and being the mother of dragons doesn't mean your whole kingdom will respect you.

As for Sam, the way he dropped the bomb on Jon was cold, but it was revenge for the way Dany informed Sam that she'd killed his family. Like it or not Jon is now tied to his aunt and even if they stop sleeping together their fortunes are intertwined.

Cersei and Euron? Didn't expect that but ... I really wonder how they're going to keep Cersei and Tyrion in the storyline because it seems like they're becoming more and more peripheral.

• Love 20
1 minute ago, JennyMominFL said:

I dont thonk the surgeon general’s warning was out then.

Of course not, but wasn't that part of what tipped Tyrion off to her pregnancy?

I guess she could have been faking him out.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:
4 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

I dont thonk the surgeon general’s warning was out then.

Yeah, the warning about drinking alcohol while pregnant was actually pretty recent, about two or three decades ago.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, FemmyV said:

Of course not, but wasn't that part of what tipped Tyrion off to her pregnancy?

I guess she could have been faking him out.

I  just rewatched that today.  I thought it was her subconscious hand to belly move that tipped him off.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

My favorite line so far . . .

Sansa: What do dragons eat anyways?

Dae: Whatever they want!

Then a hardcore death stare lol

Hahaha 😂😂😂

Edited by STRIDER1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

This was mine:

“You gave up your throne to save your people. Would she do the same?”

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

I  just rewatched that today.  I thought it was her subconscious hand to belly move that tipped him off.

That would have been the other part.

• Useful 1

I was a little surprised that Sam was so broken up over the death of his father. I know a dad is a dad, but there was no love lost there. 

I don't know why I didn't anticipate the Bran-Jamie reunion. Yikes. And the Tyrion-Sansa reunion too!

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, FemmyV said:

Speaking of Cersei's belly, what's up with the wine?

If she did the same while pregnant with Joffrey, might explain why he turned out so unfortunate looking (well, besides the whole incest thing). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

1) I really cant stand that they keep having everyone in the show tell us that we're suppose to think Sansa is super smart and clever instead of the rotten spoiler brat she appears.

2) How about if Sansa had shown an oz of that trust she claims to have for Jon, to the North, maybe the Glover's wouldn't have abandoned them.

3) Arya saying that Sansa is protecting her family.....I think it was valid that Jon pointed out that Jon is her family....bc Sansa likes to forget that.

Other than that, I loved about everything in this show. There was a good deal about humor that indicates the calm before the storm.

It does feel like like Sam choosing that moment to tell Jon the truth was on of bitterness and it makes me feel like that Sam will be the one to out Jon's heritage to everyone.

I do think that as soon as everyone sees the army of the dead their tune towards Jon will change.

• Love 14
Just now, mojoween said:

I mean...

D4KPjIUXsAMEYD9.jpg:large

Only death can pay for life, and Drogon was born of his namesake Drogo's funeral pyre, who wasn't too keen on sharing Daenerys.

Maybe he told the Great Stallion to fuck himself and came back to wait for her. 

• Love 13