Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: The Checklist

• Start Topic

On 4/12/2019 at 1:59 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I think Fillion is noticeably chunkier than in the first episodes—look at the promos for this show. I’d expect a rookie cop to stay in shape, but okay, guess he’s a special snowflake boot. Show should have had Bishop call him out on training harder.

Hey, if we were supposed to believe Billy Gardell was able to be an active cop on Mike & Molly, then I have no problem at all believing Nathan Fillion here...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

A show about a cop in Internal affairs "Against the Wall", only lasted one season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Against_the_Wall_(TV_series)

Huh. And it was even about Chicago and was produced as late as 2011, after the John Burge corruption and systematic brutality and racism had come to light (wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Police_Department#Controversies_and_brutality).
Maybe they needed a little comic relief like the occasionally wisecracking detectives of L&O or, oh, IDK, Richard Castle or John Nolan?

On 4/11/2019 at 10:59 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

If I’m a defense lawyer I’d be salivating to think that my client was arrested by a cop who had a short-term quota of crimes to check off—entrapment. Under the influence girl with her six crimes could have those cases thrown out. 

Entrapment is inducing someone to commit a crime they would not have otherwise committed. For example, asking & pressuring with leverage someone who is not a drug dealer to plan and execute a drug buy for you, something they never would have done until you presented the idea and pressured them to do it. 

Entrapment is NOT writing someone up for actual violations of law they are committing solely of their own volition, even if it benefits your arrest check boxes. The arrestee DID all of the things they were citing her for of her own volition and motivation. That's the exact opposite of entrapment. 

Whether or not those charges upon which she has been arrested are prosecuted, negotiated or dropped by the DA is really of no concern on an arrest like that. She absolutely needed to be arrested; it is up to the DA to decide on the charges in court and proved up at a preliminary hearing. In reality, they'd knock almost everything down, plead her out & release her because of overcrowding. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Random side note: I loved the little wink Bishop gave Nolan when he found out that he didn't have anything to check off his list. That was pretty adorable, as was his return grin. I really do love their partnership.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, sinkwriter said:

Random side note: I loved the little wink Bishop gave Nolan when he found out that he didn't have anything to check off his list. That was pretty adorable, as was his return grin. I really do love their partnership.

That's because she showed faith in him from the beginning and let him be the primary, as opposed to Bradford, who needed to retain total control and thus left Chen with a huge list.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

Good point.  Bradford and Bishop are both very good cops, but their training styles are quite different, and Bishop may be the better Training Officer.

On the other hand, you also have to tailor the program to the rookie.  The main premise of the show is that Nolan has life experience most rookies don't have.  Talia knows there are things he can handle that some rookies wouldn't be able to.  When the checklist was announced, the first thing Bradford said was that normally they would have a lot more time to check these items off as primaries.  Bradford's style, or at least his approach with Chen, was to demonstrate first, then let her do them as the opportunities arose, but the timetable was abruptly shortened, which threw everything off.  I agree that Bradford comes across as a type-A personality, always needing to be in control, but his teaching style of demonstrating correct behavior first isn't necessarily wrong.

Edited by Orbert
  • Love 2
On 4/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Hey, if we were supposed to believe Billy Gardell was able to be an active cop on Mike & Molly, then I have no problem at all believing Nathan Fillion here...

Was Billy Gardell playing a rookie? (i love Melissa McCarthy but never saw that show). Presumably rookies would be in the best shape, having to pass a physical to get in....

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
On 4/25/2019 at 5:22 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

Was Billy Gardell playing a rookie? (i love Melissa McCarthy but never saw that show). Presumably rookies would be in the best shape, having to pass a physical to get in....

No, he was a regular beat cop...but I clearly remember one episode where they had to run their mile to stay certified, and Mike was worried, but at the end supposedly passed the test with flying colors, which was total BS. He was an obese man who I highly doubt could have even walked a mile, let alone run it, and much less under the seven minutes or whatever the police have to do it in.

Edited by SnarkySheep
On 4/27/2019 at 2:59 PM, SnarkySheep said:

No, he was a regular beat cop...but I clearly remember one episode where they had to run their mile to stay certified, and Mike was worried, but at the end supposedly passed the test with flying colors, which was total BS. He was an obese man who I highly doubt could have even walked a mile, let alone run it, and much less under the seven minutes or whatever the police have to do it in.

I'm reading this years later, as I'm just now watching The Rookie from the beginning.  Have you seen Billy Gardell lately?  He's lost what appears to be 150 pounds at least. 

• Like 1
On 11/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I'm reading this years later, as I'm just now watching The Rookie from the beginning.  Have you seen Billy Gardell lately?  He's lost what appears to be 150 pounds at least. 

Yes - he has diabetes and apparently embarked on some serious weight loss programs, as well as surgery.

• Useful 2