Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: The Checklist

• Start Topic

Sergeant Gray informs the rookies that they must track down a specific set of crimes in a 48-hour period in order to qualify for their final exam. Meanwhile, Officer Nolan and Officer Bishop answer a silent alarm call at will.i.am’s house.

Is this a police scavenger hunt? Or arrest bingo?

West: I need to arrest someone for solicitation.

Nolan: Damn, I need a bank robbery.

Bradford: My boot will go as a prostitute into a bank. Once she gets the robber to give her some of the money, you two boots go in and make the arrest.

Chen: Is this another one of your tests?

Bradford: Everything's a test, boot. Now get into the prostitute outfit that I just happened to have hanging in my locker.

Lopez and Bishop: I remember the time I had to wear that outfit.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Is this a police scavenger hunt? Or arrest bingo?

West: I need to arrest someone for solicitation.

Nolan: Damn, I need a bank robbery.

Bradford: My boot will go as a prostitute into a bank. Once she gets the robber to give her some of the money, you two boots go in and make the arrest.

Chen: Is this another one of your tests?

Bradford: Everything's a test, boot. Now get into the prostitute outfit that I just happened to have hanging in my locker.

Lopez and Bishop: I remember the time I had to wear that outfit.

Too funny!

giphy (3).gif

• Love 1

The father laid in the coffin for hours just to get a few shots on his son??!!  Mourners cried over him and probably said nice words while he stayed still all that time. I admire his dedication but that's one vindictive man! I don't blame the son for stabbing him thinking he was a zombie.

I don't understand the deadline to check boxes. Shouldn't the LAPD know it could lead to false reports or rushing to calls that could put innocent people in harms way (West/Chen) or unnecessary overtime (Chen)?

Second week with no acting captain shown?

Are the writers punishing Nathan by making him run?

Chen's check off with the dopey woman was ridiculous.

If Bishop had these marks on her record, why is she a training officer? Now she's being pressured to being a rat in order to save her job. IA plays very dirty! 

It was nice to see the chief kick Nolan out and we didn't get the cliche "Nolan saved the day with a speech".

So who tripped Will.i.am's silent alarm and left his front door unlocked? Another dumb open. What happens if the stalker landed on Selena Gomez' property and not get stuck in a tree? It's a different tone and not funny.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The father laid in the coffin for hours just to get a few shots on his son??!!  Mourners cried over him and probably said nice words while he stayed still all that time. I admire his dedication but that's one vindictive man! I don't blame the son for stabbing him thinking he was a zombie

I loved this bit — maybe because of my need to laugh at my own family's dysfunctional dealings with death.

4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Are the writers punishing Nathan by making him run?

I was relieved that Nathan's running form looked pain-free in this episode, and his face looked a tad slimmer too. He did seem to be really winded after the run — not just acting — but I appreciate how they do seem to be embracing his age more realistically now than in the earlier episodes.

4 hours ago, mxc90 said:

If Bishop had these marks on her record, why is she a training officer? Now she's being pressured to being a rat in order to save her job. IA plays very dirty

I hate the trope of IA sweeping an officer's transgression under the rug in exchange for being a rat. It's just so blatantly hypocritical and so done to death. IA is always the enemy. Maybe it's because I live in the Chicago area where real internal police investigations might have stopped the decades-long practice of torturing Black men into false confessions resulting in long sentences and increases in crime — that I loathe IA being shown as the bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I hate the trope of IA sweeping an officer's transgression under the rug in exchange for being a rat. It's just so blatantly hypocritical and so done to death. IA is always the enemy. Maybe it's because I live in the Chicago area where real internal police investigations might have stopped the decades-long practice of torturing Black men into false confessions resulting in long sentences and increases in crime — that I loathe IA being shown as the bad guy.

I don't remember any show that has IA under a positive light.

I wonder if Detective Ruiz was hinting to something when she said the chief takes her recommendation very seriously and was so certain the charges would be dropped immediately. Could the chief and her have something on the side?  

Last week, Nolan couldn't listen to the lawyer and this week he ignores Bishop and Grey to not talk to the chief. One day, his refusal to listen will get him in serious trouble.

How old is Bishop? She had plans of making chief by 40.

• Love 4

I really liked this week's episode. It relied on the considerable charm and talent of the cast, instead of seeing what huge action sequence they could come up with this week. I'm not expecting gritty realism and we certainly didn't get it, but we got a nice mix of comedy, action, and personal drama much of it grounded in the unique situation of the main character as a mature adult with life experience in a position and system that was never designed for that, and that used the absurdity of LA well. I'm hoping that means that they've figured out what works and we'll get more of this in the future!

• Love 14

I liked the episode- some random thoughts.

The opening scene kind of fell flat for me.  Don't know why they picked wil.i.am for the guest-star.   Seemed like an obscure choice.

Called Chen getting most of her check-offs on one arrest early.  Didn't see the guy in the coffin coming to life.

Seemed like they had a hard time finding a decent storyline for West this week.

Between the 3 officers during the pursuit of the lead car-ring theft guy, ,I think I would have sent West on foot pursuit..  He looks to be the fittest and fastest of the 3.  Nathan gave it his all though,  With all the extras standing around, it probably took a lot of takes and he gave it his all.  He must have been exhausted when they finished filming.

They keep adding to their already stacked bunch of recurring cast members.  I wonder if they are doing this to add personal/administrative drama and cut down on location scenes which are expensive.

Nathan did a great job conveying the issues he had after the bank robbery.   He is really under-rated as an actor.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it's because I live in the Chicago area where real internal police investigations might have stopped the decades-long practice of torturing Black men into false confessions resulting in long sentences and increases in crime — that I loathe IA being shown as the bad guy.

Reminds me of the Case of the Foot-Long & the Polar Vortex!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe it's because I live in the Chicago area where real internal police investigations might have stopped the decades-long practice of torturing Black men into false confessions resulting in long sentences and increases in crime — that I loathe IA being shown as the bad guy.

Reminds me of the Case of the Foot-Long & the Polar Vortex!

I will probably live to regret asking this, @Netfoot, but care to explain?

I don't understand the deadline to check boxes.

It's probably the fall-out from getting that bean-counting captain promoted to headquarters. Best to keep your enemies close and the village idiot under full-time supervision.

I'm glad Lopez put a stop to West charging that guy for breaking his probation (when all he did was fail to clean his new car properly). Learning to balance the job is important.

IA is shown in a positive light when the hero needs to take down the bad cops. The problem is that they usually show up when our hero made an honest or subjective mistake.

• Love 4

Until I read this episode thread and saw 'boot', I had no idea that's what the rookies were being called by their training officers. I thought they were being called 'boo' (I used to hear EMS Holly call people 'boo' a lot on the New Orleans episodes of 'Nightwatch').  Of course, it's usually used as a term of endearment, which wouldn't make sense in this setting, but that's what I thought they were saying.  Duh! I learned something new today (but will still continue to call my two cats 'boo' instead of their given names). 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Chen's check off with the dopey woman was ridiculous.

4 hours ago, break21 said:

Called Chen getting most of her check-offs on one arrest early.

I got a kick out of this. Ridiculous? Sure. Obvious from the get-go. Yep. But still amusing, especially after the woman "assaulted" Bradford.

I actually could see something this stupid - requiring rookies to make certain types of arrests in a couple of days b/c of new policy. Similar thing happened w/ new court rules in my state. They were made retroactive, which meant that cases that under the old rules still had time to be filed were now already late. Parties filing suits had to also make a motion for an extension of time to file the suit. Shockingly enough, this has caused a lot more work for the court clerks and actually slowed the down the process.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Why would a temporary foster sibling count as family on Bishop's application? They weren't adopted by the same family, don't have the same name, and didn't keep in touch. I have friends who are closer, who I consider "family" but I wouldn't put them down on a form as next of kin.

Unless the attention to semantics counts more than the relationship.

Edited by andipandi
  • Love 12

decent episode. a few things:

1) is the rookie check list thing a real thing? it seems a straight up checklist to falsify or kill a unarmed person to put a tick mark (if real). i have no idea.

2) Man Nolan is FAT. it was funny seeing him run ... poor guy. he needs to lose some pounds.

3) IA being bad guy is so over done. i mean come on even my dog could have come up with that idea.

how is renewal for season 2 looking? i think its a decent show but i wont cry my self to sleep if its not on next season.

Best episode in a while.  It had more heart and a good mix of character drama without trying to use overblown action scenes to maintain interest.  The dialogue was better too. I liked Nolan's speech to the Chief, Lopez shutting down West and the conversations between Nolan & Ben.  I'm glad they didn't sweep the trauma from such a traumatic event (ouch, that was a good make up job!) under the table (like I kind of felt they did with the Capt's death) and it added to the characterisation of Nolan & Ben's friendship too.  What they're doing with West could be interesting too with him feeling kind of lost, although I'm not sure he's giving his Dad a fair shake given the limited info about what he actually did/didn't do.  Nolan & Bishop's relationship has been one of my favourites throughout and his speech to the Chief kind of encapsulated what that has been about so far.  Smart move that she made him primary from the start but I don't know why her practice differed from the others.  Not a fan of IA making an unethical offer, but I guess they want to set something up for the finale.  Surprised the Chief personally administers the oral exam to the rookies....he has that kind of time?

Ha, I did think the guy in the coffin looked a bit too alive.  I thought maybe it was a bad makeup/acting job.  Little did I know that was the point lol.

I thought Nathan's running was perfectly acceptable here and he may have looked the best he has all series during that boxing scene.  Would not object to a repeat of that.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I got a kick out of this. Ridiculous? Sure. Obvious from the get-go. Yep. But still amusing, especially after the woman "assaulted" Bradford.

Don't get me wrong, I got a laugh too. When most of the items on Chen's list were quickly checked, I had to shake my head. The only thing missing were the dizzy birds going around the woman's head after she fell down.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, andipandi said:

Why would a temporary foster sibling count as family on Bishop's application? They weren't adopted by the same family, don't have the same name, and didn't keep in touch. I have friends who are closer, who I consider "family" but I wouldn't put them down on a form as next of kin.

Someone, maybe Sgt. Grey, commented that she included all the other foster children she had been with and had omitted only this one.  There may be something on the form specifying anyone you have lived with for more than a certain length of time, whether related or not.  For instance, you could have had a roommate for a couple of years who dealt drugs or was involved in other criminal behavior, but since he isn't a relative, you would want to omit him, but need to because of the amount of time you lived together.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The father laid in the coffin for hours just to get a few shots on his son??!!  Mourners cried over him and probably said nice words while he stayed still all that time. I admire his dedication but that's one vindictive man! I don't blame the son for stabbing him thinking he was a zombie.

I'm not sure why the other son was arrested, though.  Unless he falsely collected a life insurance policy for his dad, isn't this just like putting on a play?

11 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm not sure why the other son was arrested, though.  Unless he falsely collected a life insurance policy for his dad, isn't this just like putting on a play?

At that point, they wouldn't have known if he committed insurance fraud.  I wasn't watching closely, but maybe he assaulted Bishop or Nolan as they were trying to break up the fight between the father and other brother.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I'm not sure either. Looking at the scene again, I thought they faked the death to draw the brother out to get the money (that he already spent).  Maybe Plan B (if the brother didn't show) was to carry out the funeral and collect insurance (but how would Nolan and Bishop know he made a claim that fast to make an arrest on the spot). Is insurance paid that fast? I don't know! Funny scene but puzzling if you look closely at it. And where were the irate mourners trying to choke the father as he is being wheeled out of the church?

Chen and Bradford pulled over a man who's been clean for 30 days ("expecting" him to have drugs on him). Poor guy (who was nice to a slightly disappointed Bradford) had to twice apologize for his accomplishment. I would love to have seen a complaint filed.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

I'm not sure either. Looking at the scene again, I thought they faked the death to draw the brother out to get the money (that he already spent).  Maybe Plan B (if the brother didn't show) was to carry out the funeral and collect insurance (but how would Nolan and Bishop know he made a claim that fast to make an arrest on the spot). Is insurance paid that fast? I don't know! Funny scene but puzzling if you look closely at it. And where were the irate mourners trying to choke the father as he is being wheeled out of the church?

Chen and Bradford pulled over a man who's been clean for 30 days ("expecting" him to have drugs on him). Poor guy (who was nice to a slightly disappointed Bradford) had to twice apologize for his accomplishment. I would love to have seen a complaint filed.

That was West, not Bradford. I admit, I do feel bad for that guy and I think the issue with his dad got to him. I thought it was an okay episode but hopefully West settles down. I still cannot remember the name of West's TO. 

I thought the funeral thing was strange, how did they know he would come back? Maybe not so funny but it would have been funny if he didn't come and they did bury him. 

3 minutes ago, Waterston Fan said:

That was West, not Bradford. I admit, I do feel bad for that guy and I think the issue with his dad got to him. I thought it was an okay episode but hopefully West settles down. I still cannot remember the name of West's TO.

West pulled over a guy on probation. Bradford and Chen pulled over a guy who used to always have drugs, but who has been clean for 30 days.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, auntlada said:

West pulled over a guy on probation. Bradford and Chen pulled over a guy who used to always have drugs, but who has been clean for 30 days.

I guess I got the two situations mixed up, Thanks for the clarification. 

5 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I thought Nathan's running was perfectly acceptable here and he may have looked the best he has all series during that boxing scene.  Would not object to a repeat of that.

This was the best episode I've seen in awhile.  I don't know if I'm lowering the bar or it's getting better, but the last couple of episodes have been good.

However, I hate to rain on your parade, but they used a body double in the boxing scene.  At times during the scene Nolan was quite a bit thinner and more muscular than reality.  I'm sure body doubles are used all the time for these types of scenes.

Nolan's getting pretty outspoken.  No doubt he'll soon overstep....even more than usual.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, mxc90 said:

The BBC has a terrific show called Line of Duty which centres on a police anti-corruption squad. It’s all about catching the “bent coppers”!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Kind of funny and ironic, this talk of IAB, since I just read on TVLine that Vincent D'Onofrio, he of the dancing Bobby Goren GIF above, will be in a series on CBS All Access called Interrogation with Peter Sarsgaard, and the description says he will play a police officer in IAB who is an ally of the accused.

So maybe that will go outside the box?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

When I heard that the "Boots" had 2 days to make the needed arrests, my first thought was they should let them sleep at the Police Station so they would be there if that particular call came in. Kind of the way Firefighters respond to calls. It would be a waste of training to let them fail their training on a technicality.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

When I heard that the "Boots" had 2 days to make the needed arrests, my first thought was they should let them sleep at the Police Station so they would be there if that particular call came in. Kind of the way Firefighters respond to calls. It would be a waste of training to let them fail their training on a technicality.

Or they could've sent them home with scanners. 

Either way would have provided more than enough drama and hijinks for 42 minutes worth of show without the IA plot.

22 hours ago, andipandi said:

Unless the attention to semantics counts more than the relationship.

I wondered this too.  I would imagine some foster kids have tons of "foster siblings" they've shared homes with, does it mean Bishop would have to keep tabs on all her brothers and sisters?  I would hope not.  I do understand lying on the application forms.  I'm sure there is a statement about everything being true etc... and she signed it.  

I would love her to turn down the IA and just take her lumps.  I don't want the drama of her being a stoolie.  

Did Ben get his Ferrari back?  I hope so.  Although I would probably sell it and buy a crappy late model PT Cruiser or something no one would ever want to steal.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, andipandi said:

Seems silly to me, though Sgt Grey did mention "foster siblings" or something to that effect being a direct question on the form when he was talking to Bishop. I find that dubious, but okay.

21 hours ago, newyawk said:

A scavenger hunt for criminal offenses. How...charming.  Not an insult at all to actual police officers.

I felt the same way. It was cute, but it kinda made me cringe.

20 hours ago, sr49ers2018 said:

2) Man Nolan is FAT. it was funny seeing him run ... poor guy. he needs to lose some pounds.

Not sure if this was said jokingly, but Nathan Fillion isn't fat in any way shape or form. He's a 48-year-old man who looks pretty damn good, actually. Hey, maybe I'm sensitive since Fillion is like a month older than me, but it irks me when I read people calling individuals "fat" when they are clearly NOT fat...or even overweight...or that any of that even matters.  

• Love 12

Sure, he is not as fit as he was on 2 guys a girl and a pizza place, of course, no one is 20 forever. I think he is much fitter than he was on the middle seasons of Castle, when I was actually concerned for him. Right now he's a pretty good depiction of a guy formerly with an active career (construction) being strong but maybe not used to running. 😉

Edited by andipandi
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Lunula said:

Seems silly to me, though Sgt Grey did mention "foster siblings" or something to that effect being a direct question on the form when he was talking to Bishop. I find that dubious, but okay.

I thought he said that she had listed all her foster siblings except the one with the criminal history.  So it might not have been a required answer, but a choice that she made.

2 hours ago, Lunula said:

Not sure if this was said jokingly, but Nathan Fillion isn't fat in any way shape or form. He's a 48-year-old man who looks pretty damn good, actually. Hey, maybe I'm sensitive since Fillion is like a month older than me, but it irks me when I read people calling individuals "fat" when they are clearly NOT fat...or even overweight...or that any of that even matters.  

Completely agree.

West is a string bean and Bradford obviously spends a lot of time working out.  Next to them, Nolan is not going to look skinny, but he is by no means heavy.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

West is a string bean and Bradford obviously spends a lot of time working out.  Next to them, Nolan is not going to look skinny, but he is by no means heavy.

He's certainly not heavier than most cops I see IRL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, andipandi said:

Sure, he is not as fit as he was on 2 guys a girl and a pizza place, of course, no one is 20 forever. I think he is much fitter than he was on the middle seasons of Castle, when I was actually concerned for him. Right now he's a pretty good depiction of a guy formerly with an active career (construction) being strong but maybe not used to running. 😉

Nathan has worked hard to get to where he is from those middle seasons of Castle, and I applaud his hard work. It's not easy when you reach the 40's. And he does a lot of hiking, but when you have bad knees running is not the best choice of regular exercise.

I agree with you that he's a pretty accurate depiction of a guy who has worked years of construction building upper body strength but not as much cardio.

I have to add that having met him in person 4-5 years ago during Castle, I was blown away by how much thinner and more fit he looks in person. And that was back then. That camera really does add pounds. And his wardrobe on Castle did him no favors either. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

He's certainly not heavier than most cops I see IRL.

Or even in fiction with cops Nolan's age but veterans instead of boots. Last week in FBI there was this SWAT agent with rolls of fat pushing out of his armored vest.

• Love 1

I think Fillion is noticeably chunkier than in the first episodes—look at the promos for this show. I’d expect a rookie cop to stay in shape, but okay, guess he’s a special snowflake boot. Show should have had Bishop call him out on training harder.

If I’m a defense lawyer I’d be salivating to think that my client was arrested by a cop who had a short-term quota of crimes to check off—entrapment. Under the influence girl with her six crimes could have those cases thrown out.

I totally agree with the same-old trope of IA being perceived as rats. Yes to Line of Duty on Acorn I think which shows the painstaking work of investigating police. It would be amazing to have the female IA officer treated with respect.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I think Fillion is noticeably chunkier than in the first episodes—look at the promos for this show. I’d expect a rookie cop to stay in shape, but okay, guess he’s a special snowflake boot. Show should have had Bishop call him out on training harder.

If I’m a defense lawyer I’d be salivating to think that my client was arrested by a cop who had a short-term quota of crimes to check off—entrapment. Under the influence girl with her six crimes could have those cases thrown out.

I totally agree with the same-old trope of IA being perceived as rats. Yes to Line of Duty on Acorn I think which shows the painstaking work of investigating police. It would be amazing to have the female IA officer treated with respect.  

I think he put on weight in the 2nd half of the season. You could see the weight gain from episode 13 onwards. It’s pretty obvious in the last few episodes. 

On 4/11/2019 at 9:53 AM, TWP said:

However, I hate to rain on your parade, but they used a body double in the boxing scene.  At times during the scene Nolan was quite a bit thinner and more muscular than reality.  I'm sure body doubles are used all the time for these types of scenes.

I could be wrong but I went and re-watched and I don't think they used a body double in those scenes.  The shots where I thought Nathan looked pretty good were the full body shots.  Maybe it was the side angle.  The arms were decent without being full on muscular and sculpted which made me think they were Nathan's arms, as his biceps have looked okay even when his body was heavier.  I also don't think the boxing scene was strenuous much so wouldn't have thought they needed a body double for that, but who knows.  I do think he looks believable enough to me compared to a real life cop. But could he get even fitter? For sure.  I agree with those who say he looks thinner on social media so maybe how the camera films him makes a difference. He looks more energetic here than in the later seasons of Castle for sure. 

• Love 5

I think he looks good.   What most people would give to look like he does on a bad day.  I do think he has a tendency to pick up weight as the show goes on,   He tends to start out in-shape and gain weight towards the end of the season and then lose during the hiatus.   During Castle, it didn't matter to the storyline because who cares what a writer weighs.  It's more subject to criticism here because of the character he is playing.  JMO.

• Love 4

Is it just me or did they totally make West out to be a real jerkwad this episode? I may be overthinking, but I feel like they kind of have to make at least one of these key characters less sympathetic (with possible character boot before S2) and I worry he may be the one on the bubble. 

• Love 2
On 4/10/2019 at 1:20 AM, shapeshifter said:

I hate the trope of IA sweeping an officer's transgression under the rug in exchange for being a rat. It's just so blatantly hypocritical and so done to death.

Maybe it's time for a cop show, where Internal Affairs are the good guys, investigating the guys who shoot children, hassle hookers but not johns, take protection money from corner stores, steal drugs from dealers, join the KKK,  leave homeless guys ten miles down the highway in winter, and all the many reported crimes.

• Love 2
On 4/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, BlakesMomma said:

Nathan has worked hard to get to where he is from those middle seasons of Castle, and I applaud his hard work. ...

I agree with you that he's a pretty accurate depiction of a guy who has worked years of construction building upper body strength but not as much cardio.

I have to add that having met him in person 4-5 years ago during Castle, I was blown away by how much thinner and more fit he looks in person. .

Guys there are three very basic body types.

The ectomorph- who is slender and finds it hard to gain weight. Best example would be Twiggy-model from the 60s, who still was healthy enough to have a child. Although her weight was given as around 90 lb she was actually around 110lb (at 5'6") slim but normal.

The mesomorph-- who is heavier and more muscular. This is Nathan's group. And looking at his parents and brother, he's not going to be Chris Hemsworth any time soon.

The endomorph- who is round and gains fat easily. Kevin Smith perhaps or Roy Wood Jr.

None are necessarily unhealthy.

Men who are mesomorphs run to 'dad bod' pretty early. Look at those photos of Nathan from Firefly/Trash. You know you've seen them.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

Maybe it's time for a cop show, where Internal Affairs are the good guys, investigating the guys who shoot children, hassle hookers but not johns, take protection money from corner stores, steal drugs from dealers, join the KKK,  leave homeless guys ten miles down the highway in winter, and all the many reported crimes.

This describes “Line of Duty,” a British series that is so good, so serious, so thought-provoking.