Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
paulvdb

S10.E20: Can't Elope

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I really liked her with Andy. I wish they hadn't have gone down this storyline and have him show up in the series finale and marry her! Now she's back to square one with Dylan, who I never liked. 

Yeah, them going down to Haley and Dylan being end game and of course trying to mirror: "They ended up like their parents." But just doesn't work, Phil was never dumber than a rock like Dylan. Plus, they tried to have it where Dylan's mom was a moron who just floated through life and his dad was like Claire. However, that was also not true. Claire turned into a helicopter parent where things years later backfired because her kids can't deal with anything. Dylan's father was just: "Well, I'm embarrassed with my family so get the hell out!" They don't mirror each other, they come off as different personality types. But the writers and producers are just obsessed feeling that this is the great ending for the characters. Even though they pushed for another season to 'wrap it up". 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Artsda said:

She is also very pregnant and didn't want to change, she just wanted to get married on her own terms.

I agree, and if you are what, 24? 25? and pregnant you are now adult enough to sit down and tell your parents what kind of wedding you want.  Not this passive aggressive stuff, sneaking away with your sister.  That is even worse, to me:  Sister makes the cut but mom and dad don't?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, readster said:

Yeah, them going down to Haley and Dylan being end game and of course trying to mirror: "They ended up like their parents." But just doesn't work, Phil was never dumber than a rock like Dylan. Plus, they tried to have it where Dylan's mom was a moron who just floated through life and his dad was like Claire. However, that was also not true. Claire turned into a helicopter parent where things years later backfired because her kids can't deal with anything. Dylan's father was just: "Well, I'm embarrassed with my family so get the hell out!" They don't mirror each other, they come off as different personality types. But the writers and producers are just obsessed feeling that this is the great ending for the characters. Even though they pushed for another season to 'wrap it up". 

Yeah that’s a big thing with me. Andy was more like Phil, the show actually did that fairly well with the Similarities, what they are doing now is super lazy to me, it’s like “hey look. It’s the same” just because it’s the same situation but no actual writing behind it. I’ve said the actors are phoning in it at times this season(this episode being the exception) but the writers seem to be too. Especially when you think about it, this is the first episode ever since Haley finding out she’s pregnant that she hasn’t had a freak out that includes all of the same lines she said in previous episodes.

Its stuff like this that makes me wonder how we are going to get another season, I guess they think adding babies is going to be so fun to watch but I honestly don’t think it will? I mean sometimes it works but most of the time when you add babies this late into the game it doesn’t have the effect you were going for.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah that’s a big thing with me. Andy was more like Phil, the show actually did that fairly well with the Similarities, what they are doing now is super lazy to me, it’s like “hey look. It’s the same” just because it’s the same situation but no actual writing behind it. I’ve said the actors are phoning in it at times this season(this episode being the exception) but the writers seem to be too. Especially when you think about it, this is the first episode ever since Haley finding out she’s pregnant that she hasn’t had a freak out that includes all of the same lines she said in previous episodes.

Its stuff like this that makes me wonder how we are going to get another season, I guess they think adding babies is going to be so fun to watch but I honestly don’t think it will? I mean sometimes it works but most of the time when you add babies this late into the game it doesn’t have the effect you were going for.

Right and what has caused so many problems with other TV series is throwing in a new character or having babies just to "get fresh stories" instead of just trying to figure out where characters should go next. Like on Black-ish, they threw in Demonte because the creator of the show had a kid later in life when the rest were almost out of the house. It didn't lead to anything new. The baby is ignored when they need a story and go: "oh hey we have another kid to use." Usually it's not natural but comes off as forced and stupid. The "cousin oliver" scenerio wasn't because the actor was bad or anything, but because it showed that the writers had ran out of ideas and forced situations with the introduced character. Having Haley pregnang with twins of all things just comes off as stupid at times. That the fact that Haley and Dylan who have had active sex lives for years all of a sudden are: "opps, I forgot and we have babies now!" Unlike Claire and Phil where was they were just casually having sex and didn't think beyond that. 

  That's a big difference, in today's culture you have kids sexually active at an earlier age, but they either do two things. 1. They do everything possible NOT to get a baby out of the event or 2. Just whip it out and think someone else is going to get them out of the mess. Either way, both Haley and Dylan having an "oops" isn't in character for them. Dylan and Haley have come across ed so stupid at times that they can barely tie their shoes, but after having multiple sexual partners (at least 4 each) over the course of the series that NOW they screw up. Yeah, doesn't work. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

Why the  does a 12-13 year old girl HAVE a credit card?! 

I wondered this too, especially since they were so adverse to giving her a cell phone, but she has a credit card? 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Lily has a credit card for the same reason other things happen in this show lately...to make a joke. The early MF episodes contained humor, based on the characters' idiosyncrasies. However, most recent episodes this season are now a collection of jokes, and the show has lost its charm.

I used to laugh out loud watching the Dunphys and Pritchetts. Now I just stare at the screen, watching the punchline come from a mile away. Phil and Jay keep me just interested enough to keep watching.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I can't stand Jimmy Tatro's voice. It reminds me of Ted Levine's. It's like... a bubble of phlegm is caught; I hear it as both higher and lower pitched at the same time.

Edited by QQQQ

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2019 at 3:03 PM, Snow Apple said:

Where and how did Lily get a credit card anyway? Isn't she just 14 give or take? And of course Mitch and Cam doesn't question or care.

I thought perhaps they gave her a card that's connected to theirs but Lily talked about "her" miles.

Glad to know that it wasn't just me bothered by this. That made me nuts!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

Why the  does a 12-13 year old girl HAVE a credit card?! 

I know, I waited for this to be use as some joke with Mitch/Cam asking " how did she get a credit card?"

Not a big fan of this episode.  Was all over the place.  And I hate it when they use family/friends to marry them on TV, such a cliché.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

Right? Also; they are in LA, the land of pampered pooches with rich owners! There has to be an enormous market for pet paraphernalia out there in Southern CA. I actually think it's a pretty clever idea. I could see those beds being sold in stores. It's not any more outrageous then what I see for sale in the pets section at Target or at Petsmart.

I'm not a pet owner and I think the dog beds are pretty stylish and genius. 

On 4/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

I wondered this too, especially since they were so adverse to giving her a cell phone, but she has a credit card? 

Same. I kept waiting for the joke. But no, it seemed they were aware that she had a credit card. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I actually laughed out loud twice in this episode.  Once when Mitchell was like, "Wonder where she's going" about Lily, and Cam just waved it off.  I'm liking this new dynamic since Lily became a tween.
ALSO.  Why have we had to wait for TEN YEARS to hear Phil's Jay impression??  I was dying.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, ErinV said:

I actually laughed out loud twice in this episode.  Once when Mitchell was like, "Wonder where she's going" about Lily, and Cam just waved it off.  I'm liking this new dynamic since Lily became a tween.
ALSO.  Why have we had to wait for TEN YEARS to hear Phil's Jay impression??  I was dying.

I don't see the humor in Mitchell and Cam not knowing or caring "where's she's going".

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ErinV said:

'm liking this new dynamic since Lily became a tween.

Agree. It's sorta nice to not have the dads being helicopter-crazed.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Suzn said:

I don't see the humor in Mitchell and Cam not knowing or caring "where's she's going".

It really isn’t that funny. I know it should be and had they not had that one episode where they left her and Cams sisters kid constantly in one episode, it might have actually been funny but they had that episode and it’s just bad. It just makes them look terrible to me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gloria's face when Jay and that other guy were mouth-kissing each other's dogs mirrored my own.  I love dogs, but noooope.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Gloria's face when Jay and that other guy were mouth-kissing each other's dogs mirrored my own.  I love dogs, but noooope.

Ha, same here. I know it's all relative and what you're used to, but NO THANKS. I love dogs and I love kids, but that doesn't mean I want a dog licking my mouth. It's the same way with parents not caring about touching their own kids' poop. Fine for you, but do not act like I'm weird because I don't want to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ooohhhh

Can't Elope = cantaloupe

I feel so stupid. I just now got that joke.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

Ooohhhh

Can't Elope = cantaloupe

I feel so stupid. I just now got that joke.

!!! You're doing better than me - I would have never gotten it unless it was pointed out!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Suzn said:

!!! You're doing better than me - I would have never gotten it unless it was pointed out!

Good. I don't have to feel silly all by myself.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Aryanna said:

Good. I don't have to feel silly all by myself.

I join the club.  Just got it now.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/18/2019 at 5:15 PM, Aryanna said:

Ooohhhh

Can't Elope = cantaloupe

I feel so stupid. I just now got that joke.

Okay, I think I'm still missing something. I get how "can't elope" relates to the episode, but how does "cantaloupe" come into it? Did they refer to cantaloupe at some point? Otherwise I don't see how the pun is relevant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I think I'm still missing something. I get how "can't elope" relates to the episode, but how does "cantaloupe" come into it? Did they refer to cantaloupe at some point? Otherwise I don't see how the pun is relevant.

I don't believe they did say anything about a cantaloupe, I think it's just wordplay. I didn't realize it until I said the name of the episode out loud.

Share this post


Link to post

This is not relevant to the episode, but I have always felt that Jay married Gloria because she is a trophy wife, and Gloria married Jay for his money.  Yes, a coal digger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

This is not relevant to the episode, but I have always felt that Jay married Gloria because she is a trophy wife, and Gloria married Jay for his money.  Yes, a coal digger.

If the question comes down to Gloria, less attractive and close to Jay's age or Jay with a middle class income - would they have married?  I very much doubt it.

Edited by Suzn
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, possibilities said:

I actually like the dog beds. I think they're silly, but I'm okay with silly. But my experience, at least with cats, is that giving them their own bed doesn't work because they want to sit on your lap or sleep in your bed.

But if I was going to buy a cat or dog bed, I'd like Jay's. They're whimsical, like a kid's bed that's shaped like a race car.

Some cats LOVE cat beds of all kinds, and hammocks! 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:13 PM, PaulaO said:

This is not relevant to the episode, but I have always felt that Jay married Gloria because she is a trophy wife, and Gloria married Jay for his money.  Yes, a coal digger.

Gold digger.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/17/2019 at 4:03 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, same here. I know it's all relative and what you're used to, but NO THANKS. I love dogs and I love kids, but that doesn't mean I want a dog licking my mouth. It's the same way with parents not caring about touching their own kids' poop. Fine for you, but do not act like I'm weird because I don't want to do it.

Dogs kisses and children's snot and poop are full of frigging germs , some of them very nasty. It's disgusting. So is when a parent smells their baby's diaper to see if they shit. Good grief, have a little class.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/29/2019 at 10:13 AM, PaulaO said:

This is not relevant to the episode, but I have always felt that Jay married Gloria because she is a trophy wife, and Gloria married Jay for his money.  Yes, a coal digger.

23 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Gold digger.

In one of the early episodes, Gloria says that Claire thought she was a "coal digger".

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...