Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E20: Can't Elope

Haley and Dylan’s plan to quietly elope before the babies are born doesn’t go as smoothly as they had hoped; Jay continues to try and get his new business off the ground by courting an Instagram celebrity.

Airdate: April 10, 2019

I know this gets mentioned all the time, but as stupidly funny as Haley saying the babies weren’t hers was (because they were early and she’s always late), are we supposed to believe that Dylan’s response of “I never cheated on you!” would actually come from someone who is studying medicine?

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I liked it. I thought Julie Bowen was very moving in the later parts of the episode. Also Ty Burell's Ed O'Neill impression is uncanny.

It really was! 

The only time I laughed was when Dylan declared that Haley's proposal was just how he always dreamed it would be. 

• Love 10

Not even mannys mom wanted to hear his poem 😂

It was nice the family was supportive of Hailey and Dylan getting married.  

Phils dad said congratulations to Hailey and Andy 🙄. Where has he been ? 

Stella is so adorable.  

• Love 8
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I liked it. I thought Julie Bowen was very moving in the later parts of the episode. Also Ty Burell's Ed O'Neill impression is uncanny.

It was perhaps a little more Al Bundy than Jay Pritchett, but yeah, fantastic. :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Ed O'Neill and Ty Burell at the end "25 years without my blessing" "how many dog beds will this cost me?" "5" "3" "4" " blessed! "

Also, what DOES Lily want with all those miles?

• Love 11

This is the first episode I laughed a lot in a long time.

That said I’m still wishing this was the last season, the fact that this was probably the first episode in a long time I Genuinely enjoyed isn’t great.

• Love 8

The thing that impressed me the most was that it was actually somewhat believable how quickly things got out of hand.

Once Haley's parents were coming, then it made sense that Dylan would invite his mother, and I can easily see him being unable to say no to his grandfather, and then it made sense that Claire and Phil would feel obligated to invite Jay, etc. (Haley should have kicked out Luke's girlfriend right away, though.)

On the negative side, I really don't like how much contempt Gloria has for Jay's dog beds. From her level of disgust, you'd think he was selling cages for children or something.

Does she really think that her business selling hot sauce made from freaking ghost peppers was so much better? Or, for that matter, Jay building elaborate closets for rich idiots? I don't see her contributing to their budget.

• Love 17

The one problem I had with the escalation of the impromptu wedding was the behavior of Cam and Mitch. Purely self-centered. They chose to go to the wedding. Grow up and deal with missing the show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

She wants to get as far away from her parents as possible.

Shows what great parents they are. They weren't too concerned where she may be going and really have no idea of what she's up to.

21 minutes ago, jmonique said:

The one problem I had with the escalation of the impromptu wedding was the behavior of Cam and Mitch. Purely self-centered. They chose to go to the wedding. Grow up and deal with missing the show.

The whole gag was that it was as dramatic (traumatic?) as Sophie's Choice.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Also Ty Burell's Ed O'Neill impression is uncanny.

Luke from upstairs: Grandpa?

I was also amazed how spot on it was.

That was my favorite moment of the episode by far. Ty Burrell's gigantic smile directly into the camera after Luke said that made me laugh.

On the negative side, I really don't like how much contempt Gloria has for Jay's dog beds. From her level of disgust, you'd think he was selling cages for children or something.

Does she really think that her business selling hot sauce made from freaking ghost peppers was so much better? Or, for that matter, Jay building elaborate closets for rich idiots? I don't see her contributing to their budget.

Yeah, she doesn't really have much room to complain with the lifestyle she's got courtesy of Jay. I couldn't really disagree with Manny though about missing the old Jay. I do too.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Right? Also; they are in LA, the land of pampered pooches with rich owners! There has to be an enormous market for pet paraphernalia out there in Southern CA. I actually think it's a pretty clever idea. I could see those beds being sold in stores. It's not any more outrageous then what I see for sale in the pets section at Target or at Petsmart.

• Love 7

"The robot told me everything!" 

I love Alex's boyfriend, and his bagpipes. "Thats just science."

The ending was really sweet, Ty really seemed so emotional when he finally got to marry Haley and Dylan. 

• Love 10

Where and how did Lily get a credit card anyway? Isn't she just 14 give or take? And of course Mitch and Cam doesn't question or care.

I thought perhaps they gave her a card that's connected to theirs but Lily talked about "her" miles.

• Love 14

Yes, actually an episode that was funny, but still painted Gloria as just a big animal hater. Seriously, why does she hate dogs so much? She wanted Jay to have Stella in the first place and even Manny said he wanted dogs growing up, but they couldn't afford them. Since season 6 Gloria has been: "I hate all dogs! Die!" It's not funny. 

• Love 11

It is odd about Gloria and the way they’ve written her in these later seasons, remember how much Jay talked about her being fun and sweet and he was always smiling and he compared their marriage to his and Dede’s? Is the show making a point to have history repeat itself? Because they write Gloria mean about everything.

I laughed at Phil’s dad saying congratulations to hakeuband Andy but then I got sad because I kind of wish Haley was having this story with Andy and not Dylan, it also doesn’t help that for some reason SH posted a picture of her and AB promoting last nights episode yesterday from a few seasons ago and  to be fair she also posted one from last nights episode of Haley and Dylan when Haley proposed but I don’t get why she posted the one from a few seasons ago.. and yeah I still can’t get behind this storyline, they’ve written Haley pretty bad about the whole thing, as much as I liked this episode(and the har is low), I really don’t like the Haley story.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

The thing that impressed me the most was that it was actually somewhat believable how quickly things got out of hand.

Once Haley's parents were coming, then it made sense that Dylan would invite his mother, and I can easily see him being unable to say no to his grandfather, and then it made sense that Claire and Phil would feel obligated to invite Jay, etc. (Haley should have kicked out Luke's girlfriend right away, though.)

4 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

That was my favorite moment of the episode by far. Ty Burrell's gigantic smile directly into the camera after Luke said that made me laugh.

Yeah, she doesn't really have much room to complain with the lifestyle she's got courtesy of Jay. I couldn't really disagree with Manny though about missing the old Jay. I do too.

1 hour ago, readster said:

Yes, actually an episode that was funny, but still painted Gloria as just a big animal hater. Seriously, why does she hate dogs so much? She wanted Jay to have Stella in the first place and even Manny said he wanted dogs growing up, but they couldn't afford them. Since season 6 Gloria has been: "I hate all dogs! Die!" It's not funny. 

8 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

It is odd about Gloria and the way they’ve written her in these later seasons, remember how much Jay talked about her being fun and sweet and he was always smiling and he compared their marriage to his and Dede’s? Is the show making a point to have history repeat itself? Because they write Gloria mean about everything.

I laughed at Phil’s dad saying congratulations to hakeuband Andy but then I got sad because I kind of wish Haley was having this story with Andy and not Dylan, it also doesn’t help that for some reason SH posted a picture of her and AB promoting last nights episode yesterday from a few seasons ago and  to be fair she also posted one from last nights episode of Haley and Dylan when Haley proposed but I don’t get why she posted the one from a few seasons ago.. and yeah I still can’t get behind this storyline, they’ve written Haley pretty bad about the whole thing, as much as I liked this episode(and the har is low), I really don’t like the Haley story.

If I did not know better I would think Gloria was some gold digger wife who is disappointed that her sugar daddy had not yet croaked. I used to really like early  seasons’ Gloria...what happened to that lady?

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
39 minutes ago, qtpye said:

If I did not know better I would think Gloria was some gold digger wife who is disappointed that her sugar daddy had not yet croaked. I used to really like early  seasons’ Gloria...what happened to that lady?

I hadn't really noticed the evolution until it was pointed out, she really doesn't have too many happy moments anymore, does she? 

On a purely shallow note, Sarah Hyland's eyebrows continue to drive me insane. Those giant caterpillars dominate her entire face. And I've noticed that Dylan seems so incredibly pale compared to earlier seasons. I remember him as olive-skinned and rather good-looking when he was younger, but now he's pasty-faced and his hair looks terrible. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, readster said:

I think the hatred of dogs comes from her realization that Jay likes Stella more than her. Which, to be fair to Jay, is how most people would feel.

16 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

And I've noticed that Dylan seems so incredibly pale compared to earlier seasons. I remember him as olive-skinned and rather good-looking when he was younger, but now he's pasty-faced and his hair looks terrible. 

He's had so much plastic surgery that he looks like a completely different person. 

• Love 3

Okay, I am going to be the lone voice here:  I officially hate the characters of Alex and Hailey.   Last week Phil showed up to support his daughter and be proud of her, and what does she do?  Tries to shoo him away like he is the measles outbreak. 

This week?  Hailey, let me get this straight:  You and your dim boyfriend are living under your parents roof, invited or not, and you are going to elope without telling them? "So yeah, thanks Mom and Dad for supporting me and Dylan.  Means a lot to us.  Thanks for the food and cable tv.  By the way, we went to City Hall with Alex to elope cause, well.....I find you guys to be kinda over the top."

Bitch and boyfriend:  Get out of my house.   Go live with Dylan's mom and her crystals and all that stuff.  

I do agree that Gloria needs to slow her roll with EVERYTHING - your hubby has supported you and your son in quite a lifestyle and you roll your eyes at him?  Try again.

Mitch and Cam - would you really rather be at a show than a wedding?  Wait......

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Eataton said:

Shows what great parents they are. They weren't too concerned where she may be going and really have no idea of what she's up to.

The whole gag was that it was as dramatic (traumatic?) as Sophie's Choice.

Cam and Mitchell are unbelievably bad parents.  I see no humor in their utter disregard and neglect of Lily.  

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Cam and Mitchell are unbelievably bad parents.  I see no humor in their utter disregard and neglect of Lily.  

Right? It’s supposed to continue to be funny that they have no idea what she’s doing or that she’s running off somewhere. It’s really not.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Right? It’s supposed to continue to be funny that they have no idea what she’s doing or that she’s running off somewhere. It’s really not.

When you think of the things she could be involved with, it gets into really serious things pretty quickly.  They act like they don't care if she lives or dies.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, I am going to be the lone voice here:  I officially hate the characters of Alex and Hailey.   Last week Phil showed up to support his daughter and be proud of her, and what does she do?  Tries to shoo him away like he is the measles outbreak. 

This week?  Hailey, let me get this straight:  You and your dim boyfriend are living under your parents roof, invited or not, and you are going to elope without telling them? "So yeah, thanks Mom and Dad for supporting me and Dylan.  Means a lot to us.  Thanks for the food and cable tv.  By the way, we went to City Hall with Alex to elope cause, well.....I find you guys to be kinda over the top."

Bitch and boyfriend:  Get out of my house.   Go live with Dylan's mom and her crystals and all that stuff.  

I do agree that Gloria needs to slow her roll with EVERYTHING - your hubby has supported you and your son in quite a lifestyle and you roll your eyes at him?  Try again.

Mitch and Cam - would you really rather be at a show than a wedding?  Wait......

Also, Haley the fashion-obsessed daughter is really going to get married in a long-sleeved t-shirt and coat? There's "quickie courthouse wedding" and then there's that. There was no compelling reason for them to get married straight out of the hospital. 

I will say that when I first saw her in the hospital, I was pleasantly surprised to think that maybe they were going to do the unexpected and avoid the cliche of surprise labor anywhere but a hospital, but nope. They left themselves plenty of room for a "wacky" delivery. 

As for Gloria, she should be happy that Jay's found something to occupy himself with since leaving the closet biz, his money has allowed her to stay home and do whatever she wants all day, if he'd just retired with no other hobbies, they'd be bumping into each other all day long. 

• Love 6

I dislike wedding and baby episodes, so yeah, didn’t like this. So many dumb family arguments, so many silly accidents. 

Add in the zany “hey get the social media star to do what you want by being a fool” and may be my least favorite episode ever. 

It would have been nice if Claire had said run at the beginning of the episode. Would have saved us all a lot of trouble. 

I only laughed at the ending epilogue. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, readster said:

2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

They've turned Gloria into a straight-up monster.  This isn't any funnier than Cam and Mitchell's bad parenting.  Who are these people now?  They are mostly pod people with few redeeming characteristics.

• Love 4

I actually like the dog beds. I think they're silly, but I'm okay with silly. But my experience, at least with cats, is that giving them their own bed doesn't work because they want to sit on your lap or sleep in your bed.

But if I was going to buy a cat or dog bed, I'd like Jay's. They're whimsical, like a kid's bed that's shaped like a race car.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, possibilities said:

actually like the dog beds. I think they're silly, but I'm okay with silly. But my experience, at least with cats, is that giving them their own bed doesn't work because they want to sit on your lap or sleep in your bed.

It’s not that difficult to train a dog to use a bed or crate.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

1 hour ago, ljenkins782 said:

Also, Haley the fashion-obsessed daughter is really going to get married in a long-sleeved t-shirt and coat? There's "quickie courthouse wedding" and then there's that. There was no compelling reason for them to get married straight out of the hospital. 

I will say that when I first saw her in the hospital, I was pleasantly surprised to think that maybe they were going to do the unexpected and avoid the cliche of surprise labor anywhere but a hospital, but nope. They left themselves plenty of room for a "wacky" delivery. 

As for Gloria, she should be happy that Jay's found something to occupy himself with since leaving the closet biz, his money has allowed her to stay home and do whatever she wants all day, if he'd just retired with no other hobbies, they'd be bumping into each other all day long. 

They have always had this attitude with Hailey. Alex, they often ignore because they have nothing in common with their one smart child (which they fully admitted) but they have always indulged Hailey. I remember after she was kicked out of school and they had to take her to drinks and act all goofy just to ask her what she was doing with her life. She got all snotty and claimed she was doing a fashion blog that was actually getting sponsors. I think they actually ended up apologizing to her which was so stupid. Hailey has never ever bothered to consider doing something nice for her parents for all the free room and board they provided her. Also, why is a 25-year-old woman so unprepared for children? My mother had me and was working and living in another country by the time she was 25.

• Love 5

Gloria had sadly become so unlikable lately, especially in regards to Jay and his dog bed project. I mean, as far as later in life projects go, starting a cute dog bed business is pretty low key compared to a lot of people. She always seems so pissed at him for the most innocuous things.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, qtpye said:

They have always had this attitude with Hailey. Alex, they often ignore because they have nothing in common with their one smart child (which they fully admitted) but they have always indulged Hailey. I remember after she was kicked out of school and they had to take her to drinks and act all goofy just to ask her what she was doing with her life. She got all snotty and claimed she was doing a fashion blog that was actually getting sponsors. I think they actually ended up apologizing to her which was so stupid. Hailey has never ever bothered to consider doing something nice for her parents for all the free room and board they provided her. Also, why is a 25-year-old woman so unprepared for children? My mother had me and was working and living in another country by the time she was 25.

Eh that was actually a decent scene and it was when Haley was into photography and doing community college and she was actually doing worthwhile things, she was posting fashion related photos on her blog and getting endorsements for it. She also said that she was taking a buisness class to turn it into something hopefully. Phil and Claire actually got drunk in that episode and made fools of themselves. Also she was doing well with photography, she was getting spots in the art shows for her class. 

The problem with this show is they have haley move forward and then have her go stagnet. Like putting her back with her high school boyfriend is the worst version of this.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Eh that was actually a decent scene and it was when Haley was into photography and doing community college and she was actually doing worthwhile things, she was posting fashion related photos on her blog and getting endorsements for it. She also said that she was taking a buisness class to turn it into something hopefully. Phil and Claire actually got drunk in that episode and made fools of themselves. Also she was doing well with photography, she was getting spots in the art shows for her class. 

The problem with this show is they have haley move forward and then have her go stagnet. Like putting her back with her high school boyfriend is the worst version of this.

It really was not Hailey's behavior that bothered me though I have always found her to be snotty and ungrateful towards her parents. It was more of why the Hell could Claire and Phil not just ask her what she was doing like normal parents. They were probably paying for her community college and have a right to know what her future plans are. It is like they were begging an adult child that was totally financially dependent upon them to give them crumbs of information about her life.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

It really was not Hailey's behavior that bothered me though I have always found her to be snotty and ungrateful towards her parents. It was more of why the Hell could Claire and Phil not just ask her what she was doing like normal parents. They were probably paying for her community college and have a right to know what her future plans are. It is like they were begging an adult child that was totally financially dependent upon them to give them crumbs of information about her life.

Yeah, I get that, but my issue is that there was a brief time when she sort of had things together. She had a decent job, she was dating Andy, and then he left and the show had no idea what to do with her so they had her lose her job and start failing around again.. because that’s funny? It’s really not. It kind of scares me that now she’s going to be a parent. I mean yeah she isn’t really, obviously Claire and Phil are definitely going to take the reins more often than not here.

But the worst for me with the whole storyline is that they keep trying to parallel Haley and Dylan with Claire and Phil. Which.. no. Claire and Phil were much younger but my guess is they were probably more than self sufficient than Haley or Dylan are being here. Also I don’t get how I’m supposed to believe Dylan is a nurse? I get that his lines are supposed to be funny and off kilter because “ha ha ha he’s so dumb and he’s going to be a nurse” but like the cam and Mitch let lily run off all the time, it falls flat to me when they do things like this with Dylan.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Claire and Phil were much younger but my guess is they were probably more than self sufficient than Haley or Dylan are being here. A

They weren’t that much younger both were college graduates and Claire was working at a hotel. It’s mentioned in this episode that they have been married for almost 25 years so Hailey is at most 24 making them similar ages.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They weren’t that much younger both were college graduates and Claire was working at a hotel. It’s mentioned in this episode that they have been married for almost 25 years so Hailey is at most 24 making them similar ages.

Oh, sorry I’m barley paying attention to the show, but still.. Claire and Phil were probably much more adult than Haley and Dylan are being. I don’t know. I don’t find anything about their storyline enjoyable. My laughs last nights were because of everyone else not Haley or Dylan.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Gloria had sadly become so unlikable lately, especially in regards to Jay and his dog bed project. I mean, as far as later in life projects go, starting a cute dog bed business is pretty low key compared to a lot of people. She always seems so pissed at him for the most innocuous things.

Perhaps worried that a failed dog bed business will cut into her closet inheritance when Jay kicks off? ;)

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

On the one hand, I think that every couple has the right to have the wedding that they want. If you want to elope, you should. Don't let your family guilt trip you into having the kind of wedding that you don't want. I am not one of those people who supports the bridezilla attitude of IT'S MY DAY! DO EVERY INSANE THING I SAY!!!

That said, I don't think you should have a wedding that you don't want just because that's what someone else wants. And that applies to anything, whether it's a destination wedding or a unicorn themed wedding or a wedding where everything is orange. Whatever it is YOU don't want, you shouldn't have to have that kind of wedding for someone else.

But if you're going to elope, you really can't tell anyone and you really can't invite just one person you know because then it turns into if this one person knew about it and got to go, then why not your mom and your dad and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE FAMILY and then suddenly you're not eloping anymore. If you're going to elope, you have to keep it a secret until afterward.

I get that weddings are celebrations that bring both of your families together, and I understand that parents want to be there for it. But I still don't think you should have a wedding just to make your parents happy.

I found it even more hypocritical that Claire and Phil, who eloped, were so insistent on Hailey and Dylan having a wedding instead of eloping. It came off as very selfish. I know we all have hopes and dreams for our kids and that there are things we imagine for them, but that doesn't mean you should force them to do all of those things for the sake of fulfilling YOUR vision and expectations. The whole point of parenting is to raise your children so that they can become adults who are capable of making their own decisions. They're not puppets that you get to control for the rest of your lives. Hailey clearly did not want to have a wedding but Claire and Phil were SO INSISTENT on doing this which I found annoying. I was glad at the end of the episode when Claire told them to run, but I was still mad that they put Hailey through hours of stress when they knew all along that wasn't what she wanted.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

What's even worst is how much Gloria tries to deny things when everyone sees her do it. Even Manny immediately goes; "Mom, we know it was you. We have it on camera." 

Gloria: "No, that's not me, someone doctured the recording!" She has been written as someone who acts like if she destroys something, it never happened. Same goes with how Jay, Manny, even Joe wonder why the hell she puts up with her family members. They always do horrible things to their house. She even kicks them out eventually, at what point does she get a clue to just tell them: "Go to hell and stay far away from me!" It's not funny anymore and it depicts Gloria with someone who has a mental disorder. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, I get that, but my issue is that there was a brief time when she sort of had things together. She had a decent job, she was dating Andy, and then he left and the show had no idea what to do with her so they had her lose her job and start failing around again.. because that’s funny? It’s really not. It kind of scares me that now she’s going to be a parent. I mean yeah she isn’t really, obviously Claire and Phil are definitely going to take the reins more often than not here.

But the worst for me with the whole storyline is that they keep trying to parallel Haley and Dylan with Claire and Phil. Which.. no. Claire and Phil were much younger but my guess is they were probably more than self sufficient than Haley or Dylan are being here. Also I don’t get how I’m supposed to believe Dylan is a nurse? I get that his lines are supposed to be funny and off kilter because “ha ha ha he’s so dumb and he’s going to be a nurse” but like the cam and Mitch let lily run off all the time, it falls flat to me when they do things like this with Dylan.

I really liked her with Andy. I wish they hadn't have gone down this storyline and have him show up in the series finale and marry her! Now she's back to square one with Dylan, who I never liked. 

• Love 9
On 4/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, ljenkins782 said:

Also, Haley the fashion-obsessed daughter is really going to get married in a long-sleeved t-shirt and coat? There's "quickie courthouse wedding"  

She is also very pregnant and didn't want to change, she just wanted to get married on her own terms.

• Love 4