Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: All-Star Duets (1) (2019.04.08)

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Laine-Not bad, but why didn't they do any of the "yeah-eh-eh's" harmonizing part?  That kind of took me out of it. I also have a feeling that at any moment he's going to say "Thank you, thank you very much". I hope that for everyone's sake he doesn't actually go there, but he seems to kind of be pushing an Elvis vibe.

I thought the same thing. It was so awkward without it and one of the best parts of the song. I though Katy Perry was wondering too because when they cut to her, she had a look on her face like, "Did they mess up?"

• Love 3
On 4/8/2019 at 8:41 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Ok, this is a slightly off-topic follow-up to my prior comment... in the spirit of older female rock stars who still have amazing voices.... this is Ann Wilson at age 66 

Thank you for the vids.  Anne Wilson and Pat Benatar are still bad asses.  My 19 year old son was impressed by Pat Benatar.   I thought Madison was nervous at first, but that girl came through.  I felt bad for the other girl who had the first duet with Pat.  

• Love 2

Why oh why would you put newbies next to Pat Benatar? The woman is known for her powerhouse voice. You could tell she was holding back and yet Pat still overshadowed both AI singers. Madison was better than Kate but no one is going to sound good next Pat on "Heartbreaker". The judges were all about Pat during that first performance.

• Love 2

I like Elle King, but I get that she's an acquired taste. She is fearless, and that's something these kids need a little of.

I didn't have much sympathy for Shaun. He didn't want to sing "Proud Mary"? If you can't sing the heck out of anything they give you, you don't belong on this show. 

It felt like most of the contestants didn't take control and run with it in their duets, maybe because they couldn't, or their duet partner didn't let them. Some odd tv programming.

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, peachmangosteen said:

She only sang with 2 people so at the very least Ex's and Oh's could have been the duet with one of them.

And I would've thrown something through my tv set because I loathe that song.

5 hours ago, ForReal said:

If you can't sing the heck out of anything they give you, you don't belong on this show. 

That's not really true.  Some songs suit one type of voice and not another, and you can't change the voice you have.  You can do your best, which I think he tried to do, but if it's not the right kind of song for your voice type, you can't sing the heck out of it.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That's not really true.  Some songs suit one type of voice and not another, and you can't change the voice you have.  You can do your best, which I think he tried to do, but if it's not the right kind of song for your voice type, you can't sing the heck out of it.

Agreed, you have to do your best and/or make it your own, but if you are asking for different songs to suit your voice, especially at this stage of the game, it doesn't bode well for reaching the top spot.

On 4/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's just so much room for producer interference.  They're going to eliminate 3 from 10, and then 3 from another 10?  So the producers get to pick who goes in what section of 10 instead of letting 10 perform the first night and 10 perform the second night and eliminating a total of 6 after the fact.  That would be much more fair.  So much room for manipulating the results.

This isn't really that much different from back in the day when they had a top 24. They sang in groups and only a few from each group went through. It mattered how the contestants were grouped because this format allows some weaker to go through while some stronger to be eliminated depending on the grouping. It's not new though. I think it just used to be that the public voted instead of the judges picking.

Overall, I was surprised that the three I would have picked to be eliminated actually were, although I could have subbed any one of them for Riley and been okay too. I think this is the first season that they are truly picking the most talented people and not just people with a story/schtick.

My favorites from this group were Walker, Ashley, Laci and weirdly, Uche. I know he's kind of nuts, but he brings something different and for now, I find him entertaining. Laine is definitely playing the Idol game well. I just hate that song he sang.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:36 PM, Ilovepie said:

This isn't really that much different from back in the day when they had a top 24. They sang in groups and only a few from each group went through.

The way I remember it (and I freely admit I don't recall all the details of all the seasons, plus I didn't watch 1-4) was that they went to live voting at Top 24, with the 2 lowest-polling males and 2 lowest-polling females going home each week until they got to the Top 12, and from there it was typically 1 off each week until the finale.  That's when Idol had something like 20 of the Top 30 rated individual telecasts of the year, though.

18 hours ago, MarkHB said:

The way I remember it (and I freely admit I don't recall all the details of all the seasons, plus I didn't watch 1-4) was that they went to live voting at Top 24, with the 2 lowest-polling males and 2 lowest-polling females going home each week until they got to the Top 12, and from there it was typically 1 off each week until the finale.  That's when Idol had something like 20 of the Top 30 rated individual telecasts of the year, though.

Honestly, they changed it up from year to year. I think my favorite was when they had a top 12 or something and went from there to voting one off per week. I think that gives viewers a few performances to decide who they like and the contestants time to improve.  My favorite contestant of all time was David Cook. If they had the format where you only voted through a couple per group he probably wouldn't have made it, let alone win because he was one of the unknowns until the lives, and then suddenly there was "Hello" and the rest is history. I just think this current format is crap, and I absolutely hate the shortened season. It's over before you even really get to know the people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2