Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E10: All-Star Duets (1) (2019.04.08)

• Start Topic

The first 10 of the Top 20 finalists perform duets with all-star celebrity partners. Following the performances and during a shocking elimination, the “American Idol” judges will determine which seven finalists will advance to the Top 14 and get the chance to perform for America’s vote.

(edited)

I really enjoyed this duet show, especially the numbers with Jason Mraz and Pat Benatar.  I think the right people went through.  Walker and Ashley were my favorites of the night, and Madison really impressed me tonight for the first time.  

Edited by HelenCrump
  • Love 3

Aw, shame Bumbly got kicked off on what was probably her strongest night. That duet she did with Shaggy was really fun and cute.

Pretty good night overall, really-Ashley and Jason were nice together, too, and Laci and Brett's duet was lovely (also, on a side note, Laci has gorgeous hair. I'm envious :p). All of these people were way more composed singing with these musicians than I think I would've been-any nerves they had, they hid them pretty well in general :). 

• Love 1

This episode makes me think Idol got its mojo back. Great energy all around.  Loved watching Lionel’s face during the performances.  The right people went home.  It was interesting to see the difference in Pat Benetar’s post performance interactions with Kate and Madison.  She was definitely warmer and more effusive with Madison.

• Love 5

Elle King was not a very good duet partner. Why would she pick a song for Shawn that he said he wasn’t comfortable with? 

I kind of figured Shawn and the blonde girl who was drowned out by Pat Benatar were going. I agree with the person above who said it was a great performance from Bumbly—too bad she didn’t shine earlier than tonight.  

• Love 7
(edited)

They screwed Bumbly with the song choice.  That song doesn't show any range. But I really didn't like her Mariah Carey performance, so.

The producers intentionally left that mistake with Shawn in.  It's not like it's a live show.  They could have edited that out or let him perform it again.  Why was Elle allowed to change the performance last minute?

It was pretty obvious who they wanted to go home was going home.  After Kate's performance, Katy talked about how amazing Pat sounded, and then said nothing about Kate.  Ouch.

I'm sad nobody performed "Love is a Battlefield".  Shaggy is awesome and a great partner.  Makes sense considering he was collaborating and touring with Sting recently.

There's just so much room for producer interference.  They're going to eliminate 3 from 10, and then 3 from another 10?  So the producers get to pick who goes in what section of 10 instead of letting 10 perform the first night and 10 perform the second night and eliminating a total of 6 after the fact.  That would be much more fair.  So much room for manipulating the results.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's just so much room for producer interference.  They're going to eliminate 3 from 10, and then 3 from another 10?  So the producers get to pick who goes in what section of 10 instead of letting 10 perform the first night and 10 perform the second night and eliminating a total of 6 after the fact.  That would be much more fair.  So much room for manipulating the results.

It's like you read my mind. I just posted the same thing on another forum I belong to. 

What if tomorrow's performances blow tonight's out of the water? And all 10 deserve to go through? I think the fairer way would be let all 20 perform over 2 nights and at the end of the 2nd night eliminate 6. 

I never cared for Shawn's voice so not upset he was cut. Kate was overwhelmed by Pat Benatar, whose voice still sounded amazing. I would have kept Bumbly and sent Uche home.

• Love 7
(edited)

Some of the pros really helped their partners shine—I liked Jason Mraz, Brett, Pat Benatar.  Didn’t think Elle King did much for her partners (even seemed to sabotage poor Shawn) and didn’t feel like Shaggy really did much to elevate his partners.

Pat Benatar was amazing!  I felt like she was really holding back with Kate, trying to give her a chance to shine, but the backup singers were better than Kate.  

Riley is cute as can be and has lots of potential, but she just seems sooo incredibly young.

Still like Walker, Laine, Ashley, and Uche!  Madison is growing on me.  I would have kept Bubly instead of Riley.  I don’t know who I would vote to win at this point—they have some really talented kids this season!

Edited by Real4real
  • Love 4
(edited)

Uch, I think Uche (who I am sooooo I’ve already), Kate (Pat sang over her and she got swallowed up by that song), and either the other Pat duet or the country pink should have gone home. Bumbly was great, as was Shawn, especially given the plan changed last minute.

PS: Are we rid of Evelyn now.

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 2

I’ve wouldn’t have Uche go through either and would have swapped him for Bumbly, who I think did have a performance break through and would have benefited from a longer stay.

i really feel Laine is coming on at least some. He did carry that duet, or Elle King let him lead intentionally, which he’s already able to do. Laine’s gonna have to keep up on the learning curve, though, and some of those performing tomorrow are ahead talent wise.

And I wonder what the twist is that no one sees coming.

• Love 1

Why was Shawn's performance/song changed at the last minute?  totally unfair to him, though I think he might have been gone anyway.  Agree that Elle was not a good match for him.  Never heard of her before.  Great, strong voice but could use some styling advice... those tights? just no...

Bumbly should have gone thru instead of Riley or Uche. 

I agree that it was unfair to have it be 2 sets of 10 with separate eliminations instead of judging all 20 together.  How did they decide how to break it up into the 2 sets? maybe they set it up with the judges' 3 least favorite in each group, so they were already pre-judging who would be leaving.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, ECM1231 said:

I would have kept Bumbly and sent Uche home.

It seems Uche stayed solely based on his performance in Hawaii last week.   It was good, but this week was not.  I didn't think either of Shaggy's songs had enough range to allow the contestants to shine.  But I do think the judges got it right.  They're probably the best panel at decision-making we've had.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Agree that Elle was not a good match for him.  Never heard of her before. 

Elle King is the daughter of SNL's Rob Schneider.   I'd never heard of her either before she was a guest performer on Live From Daryl's House.  I kind of liked her there, but on Idol I thought she was a terrible 'mentor'/duet partner.   She picked awful songs and did nothing to help them, performance-wise.   She might have been hampered with an injury of some sort, as I saw her on crutches in some of the clips.   But she really didn't do much to help her singers at all.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I said exactly this to my husband as we watched. Unfair. And I'm sorry, that Elle person didn't even have any of her own songs - to me, not much of a duet partner. I was really worried when they paired Laine with her.

• Love 2
(edited)

So, after not having watched since season 9 (I did watch the last season on Fox though) I randomly decided to start again lol. I was channel surfing the other day and caught some of the Top 20 Solos ep and was really intrigued by several people so I thought what the hell I'll try it again.

I really like the woman who sang with the country singer, the one with long blonde hair and, well, a strange mouth situation going on lol. Her voice is right up my alley. I also liked Madison a lot. None of the others really grabbed me besides Bumbly, but she's gone so.

Why didn't Elle King do any of her songs? All the others did their own songs, right? That was weird to me. 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I really like the woman who sang with the country singer, the one with long blonde hair and, well, a strange mouth situation going on lol. Her voice is right up my alley.

That mouth is so weird. Is it make up or a birth defect? 

I love Elle King..she has an amazing voice and stage presence (I saw her live with the dixie chicks, and tho they're great, she blew them out of the water). I thought she was trying to HELP shawn by changing the arrangement to make it more in his wheelhouse, tho it came kind of late in the game and probably messed him up. I also wondered why she didn't do her own songs instead of decades old music by other artists. I feel like that wasn't her own decision.

Bumbly did a great job, but to no avail, I guess. I think the judges had planned to send home Riley but then she came out and  really shone, so they had to revise.

Why the 'suspense' at the end about who was the final pick? It was so clearly Laine, who already seems kind of like an anointed one (I'm not mad about it, he's adorable and talented).

• Love 5

During his clip Shawn said he was uncomfortable with Proud Mary because it was a fast number and that's not the type of song he usually does.  Elle King picked upon that and slowed the song down to give him a better chance of showcasing his voice. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I really like the woman who sang with the country singer, the one with long blonde hair and, well, a strange mouth situation going on lol. Her voice is right up my alley

Lacie Mae? She reminds me of the reincarnation of Miley Cyrus when she was Hannah Montana. And she's a little too "fixed up" for me with the blonde hair and the tan and the new teef. It distracts me from her voice. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Elle King is the daughter of SNL's Rob Schneider.   I'd never heard of her either before she was a guest performer on Live From Daryl's House.  I kind of liked her there, but on Idol I thought she was a terrible 'mentor'/duet partner.   She picked awful songs and did nothing to help them, performance-wise.   She might have been hampered with an injury of some sort, as I saw her on crutches in some of the clips.   But she really didn't do much to help her singers at all.

Elle is kind of a wild child, so anything could have gone wrong.  Didn't the subtitles show Lionel saying, something along the lines of  "He covered for her?"  In other words, she came in with the wrong verse or at the wrong time, that was obvious, and he DID wait and come back in at the right time.

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2469933/american-idol-fans-are-unhappy-with-elle-king-for-allegedly-throwing-contestant-under-the-bus

OAN, I LOVE Daryl's House.  I wish that there were new episodes.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 2

I'm back to thinking Uche sucks. He was so good last week, but tonight the contrast with Shaggy was brutal. Not that I think Shaggy is so brilliant, but he has a powerful voice and a lot of charisma. Uche looked like a court jester, mugging and flailing around while the serious performer captured our attention.

Pat Benatar can blast the young'uns off the stage even while she's relaxing on a stool. Madison at least didn't get completely drowned out, but that performance of Kate's was just pitiful.

Love Jason's voice, and both his duet partners paled in comparison.

Elle King was annoying and seemed to be there to sabotage people.

Brett Young's song 'Mercy' is very pretty and I give him points for the songwriting, but he's not much of a singer, and I was getting mad at the way he kept saying 'hort' for 'heart'. Laci sounded great, as always; she seems very emotionally connected.

7 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Either they're bringing somebody back who was eliminated earlier or (more likely) they're going to find some inventive way to mess with voting when that starts next week.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Koalagirl said:

During his clip Shawn said he was uncomfortable with Proud Mary because it was a fast number and that's not the type of song he usually does.  Elle King picked upon that and slowed the song down to give him a better chance of showcasing his voice. 

When Shawn said that, I knew it was going to go downhill quickly, even though Elle tried to accommodate.  You can't just sing one type of song; you have to be able to have a range, particularly in this competition where week to week you will be singing different styles. Sure, you can lean towards ballads or slow tempo as a specialty, but if that's all you can do, I don't think you'll get far. That's especially if you are in competition with some seriously good singers that can competently sing various styles. 

• Love 5

Can we just vote for Pat Benatar?

Okay, everyone did well last night in their duets, and I mostly liked the duet partners.  (Didn't care for the Elle person, but then, I don't like the song she had a big hit with either.)  I do wonder who made the song choices, because at least two of them really didn't suit the contestants in question, Shawn and Kate.  And we know he didn't pick Proud Mary because he said so.

On to specifics:

Walker & Jason Mraz - This really worked for Walker's voice.  He and Jason Mraz really meshed well, and the advice helped Walker loosen up a bit on stage.

Kate & Pat Benatar/Neil Giraldo - While it wasn't a terrible choice or performance, this wasn't the best song for Kate's voice, and she definitely had trouble being heard over the band.  It was a good performance, and at least she got to go out after working with Benatar and Giraldo.

Riley & Brett Young - I'll preface this by saying I had no idea who he was, but Brett Young needs to enunciate better.  Riley's voice sounded good, but she didn't connect with the emotion of the song at all.  And they didn't seem like a duo at all, just two singers up there.

Uche & Shaggy - I was in the kitchen, and only heard this performance rather than seeing it.  It sounded fine, if nothing particularly special.  I'll assume it was quite interesting to watch, since Uche's performances generally are.

Madison & Pat Benatar/Neil Giraldo - Unlike Kate, Madison managed to hold her own against the band.  This song worked really well for her voice, which showed a lot of nuance rather than just belting out power notes.  I like how her lower register came through.

Shawn & Elle King - Poor Shawn got stuck with the worst duet partner and a song which in no way showcased whatever it was that got him this far.  I disagree with the judges, in that they did not cover the mistake Shawn made at all well, but that's more on Elle King than on Shawn.  This was the weakest performance of the night, not bad, but pretty much forgettable.

Ashley & Jason Mraz - This was wonderful.  Ashley's reworking of the arrangement was great, and her voice was outstanding.  And she and Jason Mraz seemed to be an actual duo up there.  Great work all around.

Bumbly & Shaggy - Bumbly was charming, and her voice sounded nice, but she definitely came across as Shaggy's back-up singer rather than a duet partner.  It was a pleasant but lightweight performance.

Laci & Brett Young - THIS performance had the emotion that Riley's lacked.  Simple, stripped down, and yet powerful.  Laci's tone was lovely, and her singing has a lot of nuance to it.

Laine & Elle King - Wow, Laine really has improved by leaps and bounds over last year.  He seems to know who he is as a performer.  This was a terrific performance, probably second only to Ashley's.  It was a great song to show off the raspiness of his voice.

Based on the performances, I would've put through Ashley, Laine, Laci and Walker for sure, and probably Uche (because he's not boring) and Kate (because I like her voice).  Not surprised the judges chose Riley, though; she's got a good voice, but needs some maturing, imo.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The producers intentionally left that mistake with Shawn in.  It's not like it's a live show.  They could have edited that out or let him perform it again. 

They were performing live in front of an audience so it would've been obvious if there'd been post-production editing.  Yes, they could've done it again, but that wouldn't have been fair to the other contestants.  I agree that Shawn was screwed over a bit by song choice, but his performance was what it was, and mistakes do happen.

8 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Me too.  Maybe the performances are so bad overall that they bring back someone they eliminated already?  (Just a speculation - I avoid spoilers like the plague.)

2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

And she's a little too "fixed up" for me with the blonde hair and the tan and the new teef. It distracts me from her voice. 

Why are you assuming those are new teeth?  They could very well be the teeth she's always had.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Why didn't Elle King do any of her songs? All the others did their own songs, right? That was weird to me. 

She really only has the one song that was a big enough hit for the audience (and the contestants) to know it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, incandescent said:

She really only has the one song that was a big enough hit for the audience (and the contestants) to know it.

Which begs the question, why did they choose her to mentor, she sucked.

• Love 6

Well, I'd have traded Riley for Shawn but.... other than that, it was a pretty entertaining night of singing without filler and emotional manipulation.

Tonight should be an all-out fest of utter perfection. All my favorites are in tonight. Alejandro and Jeremiah are my total loves for this season. 

I still wish we had more time with the top 10 (or 12 or whatever it'll be this year). I liked when Idol ran January through May. I feel like I'll struggle to learn names up until a crop is eliminated. 

• Love 4

I don't think Katy knows the words to many songs.  When someone is performing, she'll mouth the obvious words of a song, but then stops because she doesn't know the rest.  Keith Urban always knew them.  Jennifer Lopez didn't know them either.  Katy and JLo are like some parents - they only care about their own children and don't have much interest in anyone else's.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just can't get behind Laine.  They made such a big deal about him and his "merch" (or swag) when he was there to support his friend at her audition, even though she made it thru to Hollywood, he just left me with a bad taste.

I love Walker.  He reminds me of a little bit older Sean Giambrone from "The Goldbergs".

Edited by Luvzmutt
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Elle is kind of a wild child, so anything could have gone wrong.  Didn't the subtitles show Lionel saying, something along the lines of  "He covered for her?"  In other words, she came in with the wrong verse or at the wrong time, that was obvious, and he DID wait and come back in at the right time.

I remembered Lionel saying "He covered it" or "He covered".  I don't recall the FOR HER part of the message, but I'll take corrections if I'm wrong.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, incandescent said:

And here I thought she was the only artist young enough for these Idol contestants to actually know, which explains her inclusion.

These people/kids will not know Pat Benetar or Shaggy.  Maybe the country guy, but I have no idea who he is myself.  The kids who got Jason Mraz got the biggest advantage, because "I'm Yours" is the only song of any of these that these kids would actually know (save for the country stuff).  And, guess what, Harry Potter and that blonde chick were sent through.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, incandescent said:

She only sang with 2 people so at the very least Ex's and Oh's could have been the duet with one of them.

I liked Elle King. I thought her voice was great and she seemed to be trying to help Sean (Shawn?) when she slowed it down. She probably waited too long, but still to me it felt like she was trying to help him not sabotage him.

• Love 5

I thought Shawn should have been cut before top 20 so I did not feel too badly that he went home last night but it did seem like he had the weakest partner/mentor of the bunch. There was a little funny business there with him saying he would never choose a song like that and the revelation at the end that Laine (who also had terrible Elle as a partner ) sings the song they performed all the time at the lake or the camp or whatever. It was odd that they both were saddled with songs that were not songs belonging to their duet partner but one got something he is super familiar with and the other got something he would never choose. Anyway, Shawn is the kind of singer Simon would have critiqued as being perfect for a cruise ship or an amusement park so like I said, no big loss that he went home but that did seem a little bit unfair. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I wasn't sure I was going to watch this but decided to ... and the best surprise ever was seeing Pat Benatar on there!!! That was so cool! I was amazed at how strong and clear her voice was. I know that aging can change the vocal chords, and people don't really have control over that. You can definitely hear some older singers that have weaker voices than when they were younger.  It was great to see her up there, so relaxed and just having a good time. 

Just have to put this here

Edited by ChristmasJones
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

That mouth is so weird. Is it make up or a birth defect? 

If it's like mine then it's just genetic. It sucks, but I also inherited big boobs from my mom so it kind of evens out. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

And here I thought she was the only artist young enough for these Idol contestants to actually know, which explains her inclusion.

These people/kids will not know Pat Benetar or Shaggy.  Maybe the country guy, but I have no idea who he is myself.  The kids who got Jason Mraz got the biggest advantage, because "I'm Yours" is the only song of any of these that these kids would actually know (save for the country stuff).  And, guess what, Harry Potter and that blonde chick were sent through.

I don't know. Don't underestimate Pat Benatar and Shaggy. "Love is a Battlefield" is still played at my son's middle school dances and the last time I chaperoned a bunch of kids I was surprised when "Angel" came on and they all started singing with it. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Lacie Mae? She reminds me of the reincarnation of Miley Cyrus when she was Hannah Montana. And she's a little too "fixed up" for me with the blonde hair and the tan and the new teef. It distracts me from her voice. 

Laci Kaye. And from the pictures of her from when she was younger, the teeth are not new. 

Is my family the only ones who thought that Brett Young looked like he was on something? During rehearsals, his eyes were bloodshot and watery and his pupils tiny pinpricks. He looked better during the performance. I'm no fan of his, or most modern country music in general, but I thought Laci did a fine job. 

Uche, Shawn, and Kate were all underwhelming for me. I thought Shaggy did a good job with Bumbly in trying to help her showcase her voice. I wanted more of him. My 7-year-old has a huge crush on him and I promised her that I wouldn't watch it on Hulu until she came back from school. She was confused about the format, though, and worried that he might get voted off. 

• Love 4

Angel of the Morning, a hit for Juice Newton in 1981.

I find Walker the aural equivalent of white bread, bland and inoffensive. Between the tweens and grandmas I'm sure he'll make the top ten. Uche has charisma for days and knows how to put on a show. Shaggy was not a good choice as mentor or song choice. I'm glad he survived. Bumbly (and I dearly hope that isn't her actual name) has been skating by with karaoke performances for a while now and needed to go.

43 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Angel of the Morning, a hit for Juice Newton in 1981.

I find Walker the aural equivalent of white bread, bland and inoffensive. Between the tweens and grandmas I'm sure he'll make the top ten. Uche has charisma for days and knows how to put on a show. Shaggy was not a good choice as mentor or song choice. I'm glad he survived. Bumbly (and I dearly hope that isn't her actual name) has been skating by with karaoke performances for a while now and needed to go.

Trivia: Chip Taylor, who wrote "Angel of the Morning", gets songwriting credit for Shaggy's "Angel." It's no secret that Shaggy sampled it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ok, taking a quick break to post my thoughts before I see the cut.

Walker-He's growing on me. I really enjoyed this performance.

Kate-That...wasn't good. And why did Ryan say "great way to kick off the night"? Walker started the night.

Riley-They didn't say you sounded like Dolly Parton, they said there was a moment where you sounded like her. Either way, I respectfully disagree.  I didn't care for this one too much.

Uche-Let's see, Ryan didn't ask Shaggy for his opinion after the song(although I noticed later that he didn't ask some of the other duet partners for their opinions, either), Lionel didn't get to speak, and they played Dead Man Walking going into the break(I LOL'ed at that,,btw). He's probably gone after tonight.

Madison-Now that's how you do a duet with Pat Benatar. She just totally showed up Kate, although, tbh, Pat sounded a little rough on both songs tonight.

Shawn-Oops. So, who picks the songs, anyway? His voice is too high to pull off his part of this particular song. Not a good choice.

Ashley-Damn, that was great!

Bumbly-This was probably her best/most memorable performance of hers for me.

Laci-Meh. I didn't care for this one.  This song, done right, should make me feel something, but it didn't. <shrug>

Laine-Not bad, but why didn't they do any of the "yeah-eh-eh's" harmonizing part?  That kind of took me out of it. I also have a feeling that at any moment he's going to say "Thank you, thank you very much". I hope that for everyone's sake he doesn't actually go there, but he seems to kind of be pushing an Elvis vibe.

Elle King was the weakest/worst duet partner of the night, imo.

The three I would choose to go home are Kate, Shawn, and Laci, with Uche and Riley being possibles as well. Uche is just entertaining enough for me to want to give him one more chance.

Now to go finish watching and see what actually happened...

Edited by marykat71702
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

Ok, this is a slightly off-topic follow-up to my prior comment... in the spirit of older female rock stars who still have amazing voices.... this is Ann Wilson at age 66 

I saw Lionel Richie in concert in 2017!  He's 69!  He's an amaaaaaaaaazing singer and entertainer.  I couldn't believe his energy.  He blew me away.

• Love 1