Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Donar the Great

On 4/17/2019 at 1:23 PM, terrymct said:

For me, the show is fun when it airs but it gets better once I've had a chance to sit and think about it.  There are so many references to mythology, history, and pop culture that everything doesn't really come together in my head when I'm watching it fresh.  A second viewing helps.

Agree completely about Wednesday.  He's a manipulator writ large and small.

I think one of the reasons I don't like Dead Wife much (other than as a foil for Mad Sweeney) is that she's the most two dimensional character on the show...even more so than the one off characters who just appear and are gone.  This digging into her motivation is supposed to be giving her breadth, but I really just don't care about her.  It's not just that she's a piece of c#$p as a person...which she is, but she'd surely not alone in THAT...it's that she's not much more than a whiny vessel for Sweeney's coin and drive to find Shadow for some reason.   Shadow started out really two dimensional, but this whole wacky journey is in part about bringing him to be what he's supposed to be.

Yes, Wednesday is that, and his Vaudeville/Burlesque turn, a lot of it, including his performance and shot compositions are direct references to Olivier as the aging music-hall performer in The Entertainer.

And why would showbiz in any of its forms not be a form of exercising power/control?

Like you, I'm not a fan of Dead Wife--I just wait for Mad Sweeney's parts of their scenes.

• Love 3

I loved this episode. It adds new gods and paints a picture. Classical American Gods, not telling a straight story. Tech Boy is great, so is Columbia. And Odin is full of shit. Maybe Gaiman intentionally hold back with the White Supremacy connection because he didn't want to tell that story personally? But Odin would be a really really dark character. 

I believe, fandom to series and the MCU would be included in the worship of Media. After all, sitting on the couch watching TV, all you do is entertaining yourself passively. What is not ticked off and what makes the fan conventions special is Fan Fiction. When people take a story and make it their own and debate it and clash over it. Fan fiction would be a angry self-righteous God, always clashing with others for the sake of it. That makes me think, is there a God of trolls?

And  lastly, about Shadows Mum. I always thought there must be some connection to Native Americans because of the Buffalo. Maybe that's why. 

Edited by hertolo