Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow. The fans sure delivered for the Tweak/Craig fan art.

God, it feels like forever since Tweak was a big part in an episode. I did enjoy the throwback to the Tweak vs. Craig episode.

Poor Butters, still wearing a neckbrace from last week. But we did get to see him Skype with his Canadian girlfriend!

Only in Cartman's fucked-up psyche would Cupid Cartman get obsessed with him.

Moral of the episode: shippers be crazy.

• Love 4

Examining one's own fandom is often a risky proposition for a TV show, but I thought this was reasonably successful.

"Cupid Me" was the the best part of one of the show's more lacklustre recent seasons, so I enjoyed his return here, though that sideplot was average on the whole.

In the department of minor continuity, neat seeing Butters talking on Skype with his Canadian girlfriend.

"We've only had a Whole Foods for three weeks and we already have two gay kids. So cool."

It's official: All the girls at South Park Elementary are Slash fans. And so much real fan art. So much. The internet works quick. (that and being on the air for over 15 years helps, too)

Cupid Cartman falling in love with Real Cartman comes to no shock whatsoever. And you just have to wonder who actually sent the flowers.

I love how Butters is actually in a neck brace after what happened last week. Loved seeing him skype with his Canadian girlfriend.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

Yaoi is a rabbit hole I don't need to go down. It's weird stuff . . . for girls by girls. Of course everybody in town would be confused by it, save for the artists themselves. Speaking of which . . . nice that we have Asians in South Park. The others are a kid that got spotlighted in "Conjoined Fetus Lady" and a white dude with multiple personalities.

Continuity rears its head some more. Is Kenny working at City Wok full time now? I don't see him with the boys. And no wonder Tweek got shown last week. . . because he was spotlighted in this episode. Sucks that he's still drinks coffee. The kid needs decaf.

ETA: Of course Cartman's only admirer would be a figment of his imagination. Puberty is not going to be clean with him.

Cupid Cartman falling in love with Real Cartman comes to no shock whatsoever. And you just have to wonder who actually sent the flowers.

Cartman's got some issues. Especially when they showed he was talking to himself. I thought he was going to figure out he was actually gay. I didn't think the episode needed this sideplot though. 

When Wendy put up the poster that said "Yaoi", I said "uh oh." I did like that Kyle ended up researching it and explaining it to everyone. For some reason, giving them money all the time was really, really funny. 

Wait, I didn't even know Don King got raped!

Was all the Yaoi done by fans?! Because wow.

PC Principal is a great character, but he's got to go. I mean, he basically forced two of the kids to be gay. He drove Butters literally crazy and caused him serious harm. Not to mention he put Cartman in the hospital. I'm hoping my theory that Cartman is planning a long con is still on. I am thinking that this keeps getting progressively worse, and he gets all the kids involved. 

I do like that Whole Foods always makes an appearance. 

• Love 1

The new episode featuring Tweak kind of makes me want to go back and watch some of his old episodes.  I missed him.  The parts in Free Hat where he's freaking out over only making 10 hats always cracks me up.  And, of course, he gave us the Underpants Gnomes.

Step 1: Underpants

Step 2: ???

Step 3: PROFIT!!

Examining one's own fandom is often a risky proposition for a TV show, but I thought this was reasonably successful.

"Cupid Me" was the the best part of one of the show's more lacklustre recent seasons, so I enjoyed his return here, though that sideplot was average on the whole.

In the department of minor continuity, neat seeing Butters talking on Skype with his Canadian girlfriend.

Wait, I am sheltered. Does this mean that there is a big amount of slash in South Park fandom? It shouldn't surprise me but it does.

I loved that Butters' Canadian girlfriend came back, I am enjoying the continuity this season.

The last song was probably one of my favorites ever on this show. I died with the karaoke video with the actors playing Craig and Tweak.

I really liked what they were doing with this.  Very very South Park to do a social commentary on Yaoi and acceptance that isn't actually about homosexuality at all.  However, it felt unresolved. They should accept that they're experimenting, or be clear they're not a couple, or lash out, or something.  This was just sad that they were being forced and I don't think that's a good long-term state for two side characters to be.  Even Butters gets up days.

SP is doing great work with season continuity, but this and PC Principal are two issues that really seem like they need to be handled by the finale.

• Love 1

Interesting how Tweek wasn't tweaking as much after the fight. I don't know what this was supposed to mean or even if it was intentional.

I also wonder if PC Principal-Leslie is ever going to turn into something larger.

The Affirmative Consent part had me cracking up. I had to do a mandatory consent training workshop last year as a grad student. All the material assumed a heterosexual relationship and when I asked about applying certain aspects in gay ones, the presenter stumbled.

• Love 1

Interesting how Tweek wasn't tweaking as much after the fight. I don't know what this was supposed to mean or even if it was intentional.

I think maybe it was intentional, because Tweek later told Craig that Craig was right, that he (Tweek) was capable of so much more. And Tweek's pulling off the "fight" was the thing that made Tweek feel that way. So I'm thinking the reduced tweaking was Tweek feeling more confident after pulling off the scene and making it believable like Craig said that he could do.

Edited by AwesomO4000

I love how Craig was so stilted during the fight, and then Tweek gave an Emmy-winning performance.

And that the South Park guys essentially made the perfect Tweek/Craig fanvid with Say Something. Wow.

• Love 2

Aww, no new episode this week. Well, I guess it's good they're not rushing to churn out a new episode every week, but this season has been so good so far that it's hard not to go through withdrawal.

I can't believe there are only four episodes left. How are they going to wrap up the PC storyline?

• Love 1

Love the Woodland Christmas Critters

The Game of Thrones parody is also one of my favorites. Love how GRRM won't stop talking about guy's penises, in detail

The squirel saying "Hail, Satan" always makes me laugh.

The GOT parody was great.

• Love 1

There is nothing funnier to me than in the Imaginationland episode when they Woodland Critters want to pee AIDS-infected pee in the eye socket of on of the nice toys (Strawberry Shortcake maybe?), but then they get sad when they realize none of them have AIDS.  It's the "but none of us have AIDS!" "aww, that's ok Beary Bear!" that cracks me up.

From CC.com:

NEW YORK, November 9, 2015 – When Kenny leads the boys in playing Ninja Warriors, a foreign terrorist organization takes notice in an all-new episode of “South Park” titled “Naughty Ninjas” on Wednesday, November 11 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

The ever more PC citizens of South Park decide that they no longer need a police force. As the first American town to get rid of their cops, they plan to celebrate their advanced sensibilities with a PC Carnival.

I'm hoping this is based on American Ninja Warrior, though the picture from the link says something else.

When Kenny leads the boys in playing Ninja Warriors, a foreign terrorist organization takes notice. The ever more PC citizens of South Park decide that they no longer need a police force. As the first American town to get rid of their cops, they plan to celebrate their advanced sensibilities with a PC Carnival.

So no one mentioned the genius of using "Book of Love" for the romantic Yaoi art musical montage.

I recognized the music but I didn't recall or never really listened to the lyrics.  They were so dumb that I wanted to find out what the real lyrics were.  Turns out, no satirical changes at all.  The book of love is dumb and boring, no one can lift the dam thing, and some of its just really dumb.

There is nothing funnier to me than in the Imaginationland episode when they Woodland Critters want to pee AIDS-infected pee in the eye socket of on of the nice toys (Strawberry Shortcake maybe?), but then they get sad when they realize none of them have AIDS.  It's the "but none of us have AIDS!" "aww, that's ok Beary Bear!" that cracks me up.

I'm not a huge fan of the Imaginationland trilogy but I crack up every time Cartman reenacts that scene from the Abyss when Kyle is dead.

• Love 1

That was fantastic.  Everything with the boys and ninjas and being mistaken for Isis was great, and Barbrady's dog survived.  That's not even getting into the conspiracy against the town.

They're kicking major ass this season.

• Love 3

Barbrady is one of the characters from the early seasons that I wasn't especially sad to see displaced, since Harris and co. are both better parodies of police drama conventions and better parodies of the actual police, but they did a good job of reintegrating Barbrady into this episode.  And it's a good commentary on the relationship between the American mainstream and the police force.

Heh, so there actually is some sort of story with Leslie.

• Love 3

Man, Barbrady looked weird without his shades. And who thought this episode would make him sympathetic? I really liked how the mayor reminded us that Barbrady was South Park's only cop for YEARS. Seriously, he resigned back in "Chickenlover" and the town plunged into chaos. At least there's an actual police force now, even if they do nothing but hula out of spite.

Loved how Kenny's House/The remains of SoDoSoPa is what kicks off the plot. The ninjas ending up looking like ISIS just cracked me up every time it happened. I just love how Butters was able to put on the ninja outfit over his neck brace.

The "protests" to the cops set to NWA? Amazing.

This entire plot was because of LESLIE? With PC Principal her likely father? Damn.

• Love 2

Good episode. I thought Barbrady was going to be in the cornfield forever, occasionally dragged out to complete the numbers. Shows how this program can still surprise views after 19 years.

Looks like I was wrong about the show going into American Ninja Warrior. I'll take the boys playing ninja (again), Cartman sowing discord, and Randy's eyes shifting to separate racist soundtracks. And all the white people flipping off the cops to "Fuck The Police"? I reckon only this show can get away with that.

• Love 2

I like the meta stuff with Barbardy. Felt so sorry for him.

I'm out of the loop but apparently ninjas are "gay"(as in lame) now.

Randy realizing what was going on was great.

Leslie is PC Principal's daughter(?)!!! The plot thickens.

• Love 2

I was seriously worried about the dog the whole time. Though I was laughing at everything else.

Barbrady shouldn't have shot the gun in the school, but the second time Randy tackled him. That wasn't his fault. I hope he's the one that's going to save the town though.

I liked how they turned the "not all cops" silliness and had the chief flat out say most cops just want to beat people up.

I can't believe they got the rights to NWA.

The whole farm to table insult was hilarious too. There was the news headline that said No To Pigs, but yes to Free Range Pork!

• Love 2

OK so I can't get over how worried I was about Barbrady's dog! Usually I have to tell myself "it's ok it's just a movie/TV show the dog is fine" now I'm stressing over a cartoon dog. I guess someone could draw a stick figure dog in peril and stress me out?

• Love 2

OK so I can't get over how worried I was about Barbrady's dog! Usually I have to tell myself "it's ok it's just a movie/TV show the dog is fine" now I'm stressing over a cartoon dog. I guess someone could draw a stick figure dog in peril and stress me out?

I dropped in to pretty much say the same thing.  

I enjoyed the rest of the ep, however, as I am this entire season.

• Love 1

So no one mentioned the genius of using "Book of Love" for the romantic Yaoi art musical montage.

I'm surprised that I hadn't. I, too, thought that song and montage was brilliant... however for some reason I thought that it was one of those songs that they made up themselves. I had no idea that it was a real song already out there.

I just looked it up. It's Peter Gabriel.

Actually my hubby said that it was him singing when we were watching the show, but I was thinking "nah," and it didn't really register, because I was listening to the lyrics and smiling. He had no idea it was a real song though. He thought Peter Gabriel was just singing it for the show.