Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Of course Cartman would take advantage of Yelp to get the best stuff at restaurants. And of course it's because of all the new places Whole Foods brought in. I love that kicking out the Yelpers caused the same kind of celebrating as when Canadian Trump was screwed to death.

So yeah, the Yelpers becoming South Park's ISIS was something I didn't expect but I liked that. Also not surprised that they ALL thought their voice was the only one, the most important and were all rewarded with boogers & cum on their food like they deserve. Sounds like the rest of the internet.

I loved Yelper Gerald. I'm betting that Yelp's character limit really doesn't stop his 50 page review of his trip to Applebee's. (I have since looked it up, and Yelp doesn't have a character limit)

• Love 2

DYING at the "Boogers and Cum" song.

Only in a town like South Park could have a pretentious bunch of Yelpers become the new Isis because of all the new high class restaurants.

I'm shocked that PC Principal didn't show up to give Cartman a beating for his racist harassing of David. Oh well. I think David did a pretty good job of getting revenge all on his own.

• Love 2

I actually don't think that's true. I'm pretty sure reviews have character limits.

There's 2 I know of who get cut off Adrian Robert of Beverly Hills, Michael U I think of Chicago- they write very detailed reviews where several paragraphs will be devoted to a single course of a tasting menu......and Mike K of Chicago who's review of the site "Yelp" on Yelp was so long it was broken into 10 installments posted as review updates (which isn't weird or pathetic at all).

Decent episode that gets bumped up by a killer song. Remind me to never get into the business of food reviewing. The Yelpers had it coming, but still . . . ew.

I'm kinda/sorta hoping we get more of Ike going to clown school. It's too weird to not follow up on.

• Love 3

That was a catchy song although I could barely watch the final scenes as it was disgusting.  Though the visual of the Asian wok guy jerking off was funny.

Good episode.  Classic Cartman and Gerald was used well here.

• Love 3

I absolutely loved this one. Probably my favorite so far. After learning about what a garbage company Yelp is, and being irritated by people I know who Yelp, I found the punishment for the wannabe food critics fitting. I've been singing "Boogers and Cum" all morning long.

• Love 3

I love inane songs. I don't know if anything was bleeped out on CC, but I was watching on Hulu and it was uncensored. Just brilliant start to finish. Gerald with the pipe was just killing me. Just having the pipe. Too much. And the queef burger. The song was great but I nearly peed myself at that.

This whole gentrification concept really has opened up the story lines for the show. The 'vernacular' restaurant is just too perfect. 

Cartman's "bicicleta" is just gold. I kind of noticed but not noticed how Cartman always says "skoool" in a weird way. I don't know if this is just coincidence but it reminded me of how Marcia Brady always said "skuuel" on the Brady Bunch. 

• Love 1

When I initially saw the title of this episode, I thought it was weird that South Park was at least five years too late to be doing a "Yelp sucks" episode but it makes sense that people in a small town didn't care about Yelp until they had a bunch of new restaurants open. Never piss off the wait staff!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I love how Cartman continues to play the system, since he knows that if anyone will sympathize with his "body shaming" and force everyone to leave him nothing but positive comments, it's PC Principal. Man, Cartman must have 4Chan's level of hate if Butters is that beaten down by a day's worth of comments on his Twitter & Yelp pages. Adding Steven Seagal (then Demi Lovato, Vin Diesel and plus-sized models) to the mix was just icing.

From years of working at CVS, I just looooooooved shaming people into giving the dollar to charity. Yes, you're judged. But jeez, not on Whole Food's level. I WISH I was that condescending, I salute that guy.

Total Randy logic: Raise money to help the hungry children...and just spend the money to give them iPads .

• Love 2

Reality made me laugh.  The only thing missing was him shitting himself after he died. 

The Whole Foods guy’s bullying of Randy was pretty funny.

Not a perfect episode but definitely funny in parts.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

This episode makes me glad I'm not heavy into social media. Then again, as paper thin as my skin might be, I wouldn't put out fodder for people to hate.

Poor Butters. Also: David sighting! And Tweak! And of course Reality would get hanged in the end. And we get another song . . . . not as toe-tapping as "Boogers and Cum," but it's something.

• Love 1

So, it's all right to bully a fat person for putting pics on the Internet?  I mean, sure, if they put up pics and expect comments to be "Oh, how gorgeous", they are fooling themselves (I'm obese myself, so I know what I'm talking about).

But the Internet is overly cruel.  That's not reality, that's bullying.  Anyone recall a video posted on 4chan of an overweight guy dancing to some music at a bar until he realize he was being filmed, and then stopped and looked ashamed all the while the guys filming it laughed.  Did the fat guy deserve it?  Should he have just "grown a pair" that so often is the subtext in Parker and Stone's repertoire?

And I found "the Safe Space" song ironic considering that Matt Stone and Trey Parker seem to live in a sort of bubble where they're right in their thinking.  Don't tell me otherwise.  They wouldn't be writing this shit if they didn't believe it themselves.

Stuff like this hits home for me.  I don't care if I've "missed the satire", people have been driven to suicide over size shaming.  So fuck Stone and Parker and every idiot who thinks it's OK for such behavior because South Park made fun of it.

• Love 5

I admit everything involving Steven Segal made me laugh. Also loved the "Safespace" stage musical interlude and the repeated cutting to Randy doing a commercial in the impovershed village. Also I like "Reality" doing on stage acting like a stand up comic.

I'm definitely too old to get into celebrity culture now because I had no idea who Gigi Hadid is and had to look her up.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Multiple times even. I was like, there's no way. I also love how the sun is always just peeking over the roof of Whole Foods.

I don't think people should be bullied either, but like Garrison said, maybe don't put a picture of yourself up on twitter in your underwear. Cartman wasn't being bullied from his yelp reviews, right? I liked how they all were saying "so stoked on me" all the time.

People who get bullied shouldn't have to just suck it up, but there's a difference I think in actual bullying, and living your life online so much that everything people say rules your life. I think that's why they included Lovato and had Cartman point out that she's hot. I have no doubt that people body shame her all the time either. Not everyone who is active on social media is putting up pics of themselves nude or semi nude. So it's more of a question of why Cartman felt the need to post a pic of himself in his underwear.

This is Cartman we're talking about too. I'm sure I'm not the only person who thinks he's plotting against PC Principal. I still think this is a season long con. I thought it was fishy that Cartman would care if people called him fat on the internet. 

Cartman aside, I think it was more about those people needing some kind of constant validation than it was about legit bullying. 

The whole subplot with Randy was a great counterpoint. I don't have that problem. "Do you want to donate a dollar?" "Nope, I'm good." No worries for me. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

Reality made me laugh.  The only thing missing was him shitting himself after he died. 

The Whole Foods guy’s bullying of Randy was pretty funny.

Not a perfect episode but definitely funny in parts.

I really thought he'd shit himself…I admit to an iota of disappointment.

• Love 1

Yeah, given that they did come across as pretty sensitive in the Photoshop episode focusing on Wendy, and that Reality's speech at the end pointed out that Vin Diesel's response was its own form of fat-shaming, I don't think Parker and Stone were going for "body shaming is good" as much as "don't show off on the Internet and then whine if the world isn't nice about it." From the song, the main line was about "bulletproof windows"--that is, demanding to show off to the world and then be safe from it. As Chef said in one episode, "Children, there's a big difference between gay people and Mr. Garrison," and similarly, there's a big difference between fat people and Cartman.

I loved Kyle and Wendy's scenes with PC Principal. "That's fine, I'll take the detention."

• Love 9

I thought the fact that Reality was so over-the-top was showing that he wasn't actually reality. I thought that he was a charicaiture of reality. Sure some of these people and Cartman especially were being somewhat naiive, but the reality of the "reality" out there on social media, I think, is that it isn't real in the sense of truth. It's often just nameless someones behind a keyboard spouting off about something they may not know anything about, but can get away with it - and make themselves feel better/important - because there are few if any repercussions, and they don't care about hurting other people with their comments. That is part of the reality of social media, but that doesn't mean that the opinions are "real" per se (in the sense that they are an opinion - and often an uninformed opinion - and not the real truth).

So I think this is why Reality in this episode was just as much of a buffoon as the people he was trying to shame. I thought it was even brilliant that he was dressed almost like a magician to hint at the illusion of it all in terms of his opinions. Almost a "reality" on social media is an illusion type thing.

I agree though that that point would've been brought home even more if Reality had crapped himself after he died. Lost opportunity there, I agree.

Damn double posting thing: Reality is trying to get back at me - heh.

Edited by AwesomO4000

For all the PC Principal principles (I'll be here all week), he's kind of a bag for just steamrolling over Butters.

I have to say, when Butters came out with the "Lena Dunham just posted a picture of her asshole," I had to stop and think if they were referencing something irl. 

• Love 1

Perhaps it's a clue that Reality isn't gone for good? Maybe the people of South Park will learn the hard way that you just can't lynch reality away?

I still want the old Cartman back. Whether it's a long con or not, Cartman would never be shaky and crying and embarrassed. He wouldn't care what people say,he just doesn't have it in him. Poor long suffering Butters though. I loved the whole shaming at Whole Foods thing. I always think about it when I'm asked to donate, especially since the clerk probably doesn't really care and they have to listen to people all day who point out they contribute to other charities. 

I like this post from one of the comments on the Onion AV Club review of this episode:

If you watch back, you will notice that the characters who are being body shamed typically argue that "they thought everybody was stoked on them" and were taken aback when they found out that in reality, not everyone was so big on them to begin with. In fact, the shaming did not come from an outside agent (trolls or bullies) but rather from the realization that their own ego is so inflated yet so fragile that it doesn't make sense why people are making fun of them. And more importantly that their own ego has supplanted their humanity.

Case in point: Butters. PC Principal strips all the victims of their humanity and relegates them to Butter, the least egotistical character of the whole series. And in this example we can see the reality of cyber bullying. Someone who isn't necessarily a bad person driven to suicide--reinforcing the idea that the most vulnerable people are the least likely to have a safe space and are driven to madness.

All of this connects to 'charity shaming' where people willingly put themselves in a position to be shamed by their actions. It would be extremely cynical to suggest that none of us judge that person that doesn't give to charity, as though we're the only ones who give--yet the truth of the matter is that all of us ignore the donation for most of the year. And that's where the criticism of 'social justice warriors' comes into play. In the irony that those who were shamed have become the shaming.

• Love 3

I still want the old Cartman back. Whether it's a long con or not, Cartman would never be shaky and crying and embarrassed. He wouldn't care what people say,he just doesn't have it in him. Poor long suffering Butters though. I loved the whole shaming at Whole Foods thing. I always think about it when I'm asked to donate, especially since the clerk probably doesn't really care and they have to listen to people all day who point out they contribute to other charities.

Cartman's always been willing to break down and fake cry to get what he wants--it's just that before, the only person in South Park who'd respond to that was his mom. I'm pretty sure you can find examples of that going back at least to Season 4's "Trapper Keeper" episode; more recent big examples are "Tsst" and "Breast Cancer Show Ever."

• Love 4

Re: Charity Shaming....

Just yesterday I was walking past Trader Joe's (my stand-in for Whole Foods), and a young hipster guy working for a charity tried to stop me to get me to donate to his cause. Instead of the usual, "Hi, do you have a minute today for [fill in the blank]?" or "Hi, can I ask you a question?" or any of the usual tactics, this guy said to me, "Hi, are you a nice person?" "Not today," I replied as I continued walking past him.

"I believe it," he countered.

Touche', Mr. Charity Collector, touche'! ;)

Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 8

A slogan like #shamelessAmerica is where this show really gets brilliant. It shows how we can oppose shaming but when taken to the extreme the result might be worse.  I only wish they'd taken the #shamelessAmerica concept further to show bigger actions than selfies.

Instead of the usual, "Hi, do you have a minute today for [fill in the blank]?" or "Hi, can I ask you a question?" or any of the usually tactics used, this guy said to me, "Hi, are you a nice person?" "Not today," I replied as I continued walking past him.

Wow. As "foot in the door" questions go, that's one of the best I've ever heard. It's so obnoxious and yet how many people will fall for that opening "yes" even though they know what they're getting into?

• Love 5

A slogan like #shamelessAmerica is where this show really gets brilliant. It shows how we can oppose shaming but when taken to the extreme the result might be worse. I only wish they'd taken the #shamelessAmerica concept further to show bigger actions than selfies.

Wow. As "foot in the door" questions go, that's one of the best I've ever heard. It's so obnoxious and yet how many people will fall for that opening "yes" even though they know what they're getting into?

Feel free to use that opening anytime you want. As a matter of fact, I give everyone who reads this post "permission" to use that question whenever necessary. Maybe the more people use it, the more we can all get inoculated to it! ;) Edited by A Boston Gal
  • Love 1

I wish they'd gone after the real reason charity shaming when you shop sucks. The stores get to bundle all of the donations and claim the tax deduction. It really is better to give a larger donation to the charity of your choice. You get to direct where the money is going and claim the deduction for yourself. Win-win.

• Love 4

I wish they'd gone after the real reason charity shaming when you shop sucks. The stores get to bundle all of the donations and claim the tax deduction. It really is better to give a larger donation to the charity of your choice. You get to direct where the money is going and claim the deduction for yourself. Win-win.

To me it seems shoppers donate the funds, then the retailers hold press events where they hand over a giant cheque with their name on it.
  • Love 2

Are you sure? You can't deduct something that wasn't income.  And a deduction is not the same as a credit, so it doesn't grant any value besides subtracting the amount donated. So ether they count the donation as revenue and subtract it out for zero net gain (and some funky accounting), or it's completely separate and there's no tax effect.

To me it seems shoppers donate the funds, then the retailers hold press events where they hand over a giant cheque with their name on it.

That makes sense. If you combine a desire for PR with a desire to direct where donations go, you have a compelling reason.

Edit: After some research, this collected money is tax deductible ... for you.  Your receipt is the evidence and if you itemize your taxes you get to deduct that money. Not the store.

Edited by Amarsir

So, it's all right to bully a fat person for putting pics on the Internet? I mean, sure, if they put up pics and expect comments to be "Oh, how gorgeous", they are fooling themselves (I'm obese myself, so I know what I'm talking about).

But the Internet is overly cruel. That's not reality, that's bullying. Anyone recall a video posted on 4chan of an overweight guy dancing to some music at a bar until he realize he was being filmed, and then stopped and looked ashamed all the while the guys filming it laughed. Did the fat guy deserve it? Should he have just "grown a pair" that so often is the subtext in Parker and Stone's repertoire?

And I found "the Safe Space" song ironic considering that Matt Stone and Trey Parker seem to live in a sort of bubble where they're right in their thinking. Don't tell me otherwise. They wouldn't be writing this shit if they didn't believe it themselves.

Stuff like this hits home for me. I don't care if I've "missed the satire", people have been driven to suicide over size shaming. So fuck Stone and Parker and every idiot who thinks it's OK for such behavior because South Park made fun of it.

Agree and quoted for truth. The episode made me laugh, but I actually felt bad that they chose Demi, who was bulimic. And part of the weird child star machine. Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 2

The news of a romantic relationship between Tweek and Craig hits South Park Elementary. Mr. Mackey tries to figure out who started the rumor. Meanwhile, Cartman, who struggles to understand his friends' relationship, finds he has an admirer of his own.

Given that the show is fairly timely; i.e., stuff happening within the week gets into the current episode, I thought they chose her simply because she recently did a nude photo shoot more than anything. So her and Cartman had the common thing there. It also works on another level, in hindsight, because Cartman dismissed her concerns "because she's hot," as like her problems weren't as valid as his. 

Perhaps that's the case with some of the retailers, but a certain store I frequent sends me a statement, detailing my donations, at the end of the year to use on my taxes.  Plus, multiple small donations are easier on my pocketbook than one large one.

I didn't have a problem with the "fat shaming" this episode because it was more an indictment of narcissism, IMO.