Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

This week: Randy is an awful person. I mean, his admiration seemed genuine, but it got to a point where I was expecting the revelation he was a spokesman for the Japanese toilets. Nope, he loved them AND used the expense to rub it in everyone’s faces. And, of course, he reversed course after he got shot. “Tegridy,” indeed.

Kids in school were almost as bad. Randy brags about his new toilet, and they get snippy on Stan. It just feels like a tired trope, you know? You think Shelley got the same crap? We’ll ever know. Nice info-dumping from Jimmy about the American toilet paper industry. Even if you leave in the gross mental imagery, it seems like something John Oliver would cover on Last Week Tonight. Forget the soothing music . . . why can’t we get something that washes us? How many Americans have even seen a bidet?

Question: does anyone else here hate going to a restroom when someone is in the stall and they’re making noise? So gross for me. The stuff in this episode was offset by Randy getting really into it. Also: is the music out anywhere? All I remember is hearing the words “what if.”

But seriously, Randy is an asshole. Look at the final scenes where he hooks “Ol’ Blue” back to its old place, and he went on about having to stick with stuff even if it’s below par. Then he goes “Love you forever, honey” and kisses Sharon. Thinking about it, I’m amazed she wasn’t revealed to be the gunman.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1

The toilets I'm familiar with couldn't have been expensive. The apparatus with the water jets is a separate unit that you install on any standard toilet. I'm sure there are expensive toilets, but that's not the norm when I was there. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The toilets I'm familiar with couldn't have been expensive. The apparatus with the water jets is a separate unit that you install on any standard toilet. I'm sure there are expensive toilets, but that's not the norm when I was there. 

I guess that would relate to the part where Randy was saying there were cheaper models that normal people could afford, they just weren't the top of the line model that Randy had.  

Since you were in Japan, did they have the heated seats?  The new age music?  The automatic lid lifter?  Did they have any other options South Park didn't talk about?

• Like 1

I can't watch until tomorrow, but I was compelled to comment on glorious Japanese toilets. 

iirc, the basic ones, like where you work, the lid would lift, and you get the water jets. I also think heated seats were common. You have plug the unit in, so you need electricity. The heat wouldn't need anything extra. 

There were ones with music at restaurants, but all I remember is they played running water. Hotels all had them. 

Fun fact. Departments stores all have restaurants on the top floor. It's not hard to find a place to eat. 

My apartment just had the regular toilet. 

The stall walls and doors all go right down to the floor and are far taller than your typical stall in the United States.  I don't know why none of this has caught on here. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I've tried bidets and it's still doesn't seem as same as using paper as far as how clean it gets, especially combined with wipes.

Maybe I did it wrong, not sure, but it seems not applying friction prevented getting things as clean.

So how would water jets do better and it seems they'd have to thoroughly rinse the area.

• Like 1
On 2/10/2023 at 7:08 AM, rmontro said:

I like the way that they made it so that everyone who thought it was "Token" all along was a real POS lol.

Which apparently includes Tolkien himself, who repeatedly misspelled his own name in previous episodes where he wrote it down.  Also, Nichole did a few times while they were dating. 😄

• Like 3
11 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The jets are strong. I mean, tmi, so don't look, but you use the jets, and just minimal paper to dry off. I'd say easy over 90% reduction in paper use.

I just don't understand/can't picture how water doesn't spray out everywhere. Can you really make a complete seal on the seat to prevent that? Do the toilets not have the flip up seat? Water could spray out in the the gap between the seat and the main bowl. So many questions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AAEBoiler said:

I just don't understand/can't picture how water doesn't spray out everywhere. Can you really make a complete seal on the seat to prevent that? Do the toilets not have the flip up seat? Water could spray out in the the gap between the seat and the main bowl. So many questions.

Google is your friend. Or just looking somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot.

There are 3 main countries that use TP with 1 being Canada, can you guess the other 2 ?

The rest of the world for the most part uses bidets & yes they take a while to get used to but are much better for the environment as well as cleaner for the user ( use your imagination).

A lot of hotels in Europe have both a bidet & TP hence the old joke about the British abroad using the bidet for washing their feet. I saw my first one in a Portugal hotel bathroom over 45 years ago so they've been around a long time (yes I'm old).

• Like 1

Not all European houses or apartments or hotels have bidets.  In fact some of them just have the toilet in a literal water closet, very narrow room where you do your business and go out to wash up in the sink.

Speaking of toilet habits, if you go to Germany or nearby places like Zurich, the toilet paper has the thickness of our paper towels.

TP has to be more common, don't women need it for going #1 -- "spare a square" as the infamous Seinfeld episode put it.

• Like 3

Do you really cut down trees for toilet paper in North America? I know in Europe it's all made from recycled paper.

16 hours ago, aghst said:

But if the alternative is a $10k toilet, is that realistic?

Like Randy said, in his very condescending manner, you don't need a $10k toilet. There are attachments for existing toilets for like 30 bucks. Of course those won't blow dry your ass, so you still need to dry off with a bit of toilet paper, but it cuts way down on your usage.

15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Fun fact. Departments stores all have restaurants on the top floor. It's not hard to find a place to eat. 

The japanese are the swedes of asia, confirmed.

3 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

Your whole ass isn't getting powerwashed. There is a concentrated jet aimed at your asshole.

1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

There are 3 main countries that use TP with 1 being Canada, can you guess the other 2 ?

That has to be misinformation. Most of Europe uses TP and that's 47 countries alone.

Yes, you'll find bidets in some hotels, but that's not standard in homes.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

That has to be misinformation. Most of Europe uses TP and that's 47 countries alone.

Yes, you'll find bidets in some hotels, but that's not standard in homes.

I didn't say what you're implying, I said 3 main countries & unless you've been in every home in every country you know as much as I do. I also said most hotels in Europe have both, how about most modern hotels & homes in Europe not including the UK.

If I'm wrong then so be it, but I'm not interested enough to worry about it, just my personal experiences and what I have read. You have your beliefs & I have mine, it's the way of the world.

20 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The jets are strong. I mean, tmi, so don't look, but you use the jets, and just minimal paper to dry off. I'd say easy over 90% reduction in paper use. 

I've been looking at these, and on the models I was looking at you could adjust the angle and width of the spray, there are rear and frontal (for females) jets, and heated air to blow dry you off after.  You could even use the remote to move the jets around while you were seated.

My main concern is I have really hard water in my house, and it will clog up shower heads and such.  I wonder if these smart toilets are somewhat fragile and the hard water would clog the jets maybe?  And how much more maintenance beyond simple plumbing would it require?

• Useful 1

The controls on the usual toilets in Japan are on the seats, not quite like an arm rest. Not on the wall like they showed here. The typical bathrooms in Japan I've used all also had toilet paper.

I did like Randy pushing Sharon in the bathroom, "TRY *IT* SHAR RON". 

I'm not saying I'd pay $10K for a toilet. My bathrooms aren't equipped. If I did upgrade to a new house though, I'd be investing in the bathroom. 

If those stats are right, that's a lot of paper. 

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

there are rear and frontal (for females) jets,

Yes, thank you for jogging my memory. The back end button is blue and it looks like a "3" (rotate that right 90 degrees), and there's a pink button, but I forgot the shape. The left side of the seat had all the options. iirc, I don't think the air was standard because I always dried off with paper. However, like I said the paper use was drastically reduced. 

I have hard water in my house too, so it's a good question as to whether you can take the unit apart and clean it out. 

Toto was the monopoly company when I was there. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

I didn't say what you're implying, I said 3 main countries & unless you've been in every home in every country you know as much as I do. I also said most hotels in Europe have both, how about most modern hotels & homes in Europe not including the UK.

Do I have to have been a deer to know that deers exist? It's just a fact that european countries predominantly use toilet paper.

If it's anecdotal evidence you want, for some reason, I've been to ton of homes in germany. I saw a bidet once.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:10 PM, Welshman in Ca said:

If I'm wrong then so be it, but I'm not interested enough to worry about it, just my personal experiences and what I have read. You have your beliefs & I have mine, it's the way of the world.

You are really passive agressive about it, for not caring that much... Also facts aren't about beliefs.

Looks like the boys will be up against a growing problem.

“DEEP LEARNING”: Stan is reeling when a cheating scandal hits the school

Here’s the brief promo. I think there won’t be any shitting this week. I hope. 🤞🤞

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Why use manatees to write shows when ChatGPT can do it for free?

They never rerun those episodes, do they? I don’t remember if the manatees got any compensation.

Are we getting another six-episode season?

How much of this episode was written by ChatGPT, aside from the end? I bet the song was. Stan's "story" at the end was great. Loved how stilted everyone's delivery was. Hell, the episode was credited to Trey and ChatGPT.

What a way to bring back the Stan/Wendy ship. Of course Stan never learns to communicate. I'm surprised Butters was the one who discovered ChatGPT, I wonder if he actually wrote his essays himself, regardless?

Man, we got all sorts of characters returning. Wendy's parents! Rick! The nerdy kid!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

How much of this episode was written by ChatGPT, aside from the end? I bet the song was. Stan's "story" at the end was great. Loved how stilted everyone's delivery was. Hell, the episode was credited to Trey and ChatGPT.

I thought this was the weakest episode this season, but having ChatGPT actually write part of the episode (I bet you're right) is pretty funny in itself.  My guess is that it wrote Stan's story at the end, there was something about it felt a little off.

Anyway, I didn't buy that Wendy would forgive Stan so quickly, you'd think she'd be at least a little hurt by it, at least for a little while.

• Like 1

Great breezy episode. Sure, Wendy was strung along by a soulless program into thinking Stan had deep feelings, and no one really got in trouble (except Cartman and maybe Rick), but the episode didn't feel like it was dragging. That includes the boy with glasses going to the bathroom and interrupting the cheating conspiracy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chat GPT didn't contribute that much to the episode. Stan saving the day by giving the program his predicament was pretty funny, as was the druid hunting for it.

Even if Stan took the easy way out and seemingly learned little from his experience, he did show remorse in leading Wendy on. He's not like his father, and thank goodness for that.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2023 at 11:32 PM, Galileo908 said:

How much of this episode was written by ChatGPT, aside from the end? I bet the song was.

That song is "Every Letter" from the 2021 musical drama Cyrano; the entire sequence is a direct parody of the equivalent scene in the movie.

• Like 1

I totally can buy that chatgpc was invented for texting. I'm glad they tackled this topic because I'm so sick of it. 

The essay titles were funny being from 4th graders, but the punch line that made it work was that Mr. Garrison gave them 'check plus' on the essays. 

I'm dating myself, but when Mr. Garrison said he was going to use it to grade papers, I thought of Real Genius. Please tell me I'm not the only one. 

On 3/9/2023 at 11:24 AM, rmontro said:

Anyway, I didn't buy that Wendy would forgive Stan so quickly, you'd think she'd be at least a little hurt by it, at least for a little while.

When they had Wendy alone in the library with the druid, and I loved the bird, I thought they were implying Wendy was using chatcpt for the texts too. 

I think chatgpt only wrote the final scene where all the voices were stilted. 

• Like 1

Of course, Cartman doesn't just want A job, he wants Butters's job. And of course, he doesn't want to do it. He totally would just work from home an hour and a half into having a job.

And then Cartman decided to turn his Hot Dog House into Dikinbaus, his own personal Casa Bonita. Just to drain Butters's money. Hell, this might be Trey writing in his own experience renovating Casa Bonita. Loved that this all lead to Cartman getting evicted and put back in his old house. What a press of the reset button.

Loved seeing the "TOOK MY JOB" guy again. And speaking of callbacks, noticed Mrs. Cartman watching Randy's Creme Fraiche cooking show, and Butters's Dad still going to the "office" like in Butters's Very Own Episode.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Man, credit to Butters for turning it around at the very end. I'd like to think the guys just wanted to hit the reset button and send the Cartmans back to their old house . . . but maybe Butters figured that separating Eric from his minimal-work venture was the absolute worst thing he could do to him. Considering Butters was accused by his own father for prowling for sex, I think he'd was entitled.

Great episode. Fun plot, lovely bits of fan service, and a reminder that Cartman is the biggest asshole in South Park. Anyone think Kenny deserves heat for joining forces with Cartman? I could do an analysis tomorrow . . . .but that's Fuck Around And Find Out Friday. No heavy thinking for me.

Is the next episode the last one of the "season"?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 4
49 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Man, credit to Butters for turning it around at the very end.

From this episode, you'd have to think Butters has quite a bright future in store for himself.  I'd like to think that is the truth, and that the Paramount "future shows" are an alternate reality of some sort.  

Strange the way Dikinbaus was spelled differently on the show and on the episode title (DiKimble's).  I wonder if the network made them do that?

Have a creamy day.

• Like 2

The title cards with the ominous music "37 minutes" "1.2 hours" was a great punch line. 

I like the relatively recent consistent Mrs Cartman not having any time for Cartmen's nonsense with the callback to him not letting her work. And with the end of them going back to their old house. 

That mustard farm looked like a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Final episode of the season: “Spring Break”

“SPRING BREAK”: Spring Break is an excuse for Garrison to jump back into his former depraved lifestyle.

Man, the guy does not learn, does he?

How long until Matt & Trey roll out stuff on P+? Or is that on hold as HBO Max declares war?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 2
On 1/17/2023 at 1:51 PM, Lantern7 said:

Teaser for the next season.

Poor Butters.

So is this clip even gonna be in tonight's episode? This is the season finale and we haven't seen it yet.

Maybe it was meant to be in the previous episode, and it got cut?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

So is this clip even gonna be in tonight's episode? This is the season finale and we haven't seen it yet.

Maybe it was meant to be in the previous episode, and it got cut?

That was from “A.W.E.S.O.M.-O,” I think.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

That was from “A.W.E.S.O.M.-O,” I think.

That makes sense.

Of course, Randy strips off all his clothes once the women leave the house. And, well, that was an excuse to get Andrew Tate in an episode.

Ha, Stan and Tolkien are into 40K. Those were some real detailed figures they had. Gotta appreciate them continuing their game through a rager.

And of course Garrison wants to spend Spring Break in Myrtle Beach, the MAGA Riviera. They got the place nailed down. Garrison and Rick even went to Broadway At The Beach, the big strip mall they have there. I got a laugh out of Garrison siccing his mob on the Capitol (again) in the name of loving Rick.

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/31/2023 at 9:29 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Did we know Garrison's first name was Herb? I don't remember.

Yeah . . . “Brown Noise,” I think.

So . . . how long before we get the real out-of-pocket stuff on P+?

ETA: Who is Andrew Tate?

Edited by Lantern7
On 8/12/2023 at 4:11 PM, AnimeMania said:

A new South Park video game is coming to PC, PlayStation 5, Xbox X|S and Nintendo Switch in 2024. It appears to be a multiplayer Battle Royale video game. 

I loved The Stick of Truth and The Fractured But Whole, but I don't have a PS5, I still have the 4.  The great thing about those games is they were each kind of like a South Park episode.  Not sure I like the Battle Royale concept though.

• Useful 1

Saw this last night when it was released around midnight.  It appeared to crash the network at first, but I was able to get on about 20 minutes later.  Two main plot lines, one about the Panderverse, the other about AI, both entertaining.  The only thing that really surprised me was that they were actually kind of soft on Kathleen Kennedy in the end.

• Useful 1

Weird to have 'Kenny' talk but funny she was always talking about big boobs. 'Kyle' didn't have the hat on either. I was worried that it was all going to be just Cartman's dream at the start. I'm glad it was bonkers. 

I really liked that alt-South Park kids basically had the same dialogue. I wish there was more in that universe. 

I don't know all the Disney movies, but I'm aware of them. I haven't seen Indiana Jones yet, but now I want to. 

I can't do a lot around the house, but I think I could have fixed the oven door. I installed the shower heads. I can cook though; I got that going for me. 

OK, I just had a major freakout while watching South Park: Joining the Panderverse -

I don't know if my phone was too close to the TV, or if the volume was too loud, but when Randy asked Siri how to fix a broken oven door, the Siri on my phone responded with the same information as the Siri on Randy's phone, only with a slight delay. It took me a few seconds to realize something was off, so I paused the episode, but my phone's Siri kept talking. The thing that really freaked me out was that I never use SIri, and I thought I had it turned off so that it couldn't monitor what's being said within range of the phone. This was a scary-ass wakeup call for me to be more proactive in regularly checking what programs are running. 😨😨😨

siri listening.jpg

Edited by giovannif7