Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Fun episode. Season finale of The Amazing Race took priority. Mr. Mackey gets to start in an episode, Butters' parents are the worst yet again, and we get to see Butters suffer more embarrassment . . . and with another floppy-donged horse!

Seriously, if I was handed Russia and this show, I would've just done another "Put It Down." Here, we get Mr. Mackey taking Tweak's place as the paranoid guy, and with a lot of Eighties nostalgia thrown in. Who doesn't like shout-outs to War Games and Rocky IV?

32 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Now we know why there was no episode last week: animating horses takes time.

I think it was because of Presidents' Day.

We finally know what PC in PC Principal stands for: Peter Charles.

I think we already knew that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I think it was because of Presidents' Day.

That was meant to be a joke.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I think we already knew that.

Was it? I haven't been keeping track.

• Love 1

I thought it was a weak episode myself, everyone else seemed to enjoy it more than I did.  Probably was rushed with the Russian stuff.  I did like that PC Principal told Mackie to say "mm'kay" at the end of his meeting with him.

• Love 1

I'm surprised Butter's parents sprung for a horse. 

Mackey getting into 80s music and Red Dawn was a good touch. I don't miss any of that but I liked the cold war satire. I loved his 80s room. Wow they crammed a ton in there. Even War Games. 

I don't remember PC Principal's name before. 

I don't know if I'm reading too much into the show, but I liked the criticism of nostalgia. 

Slightly disappointed we couldn't get a variation on 'if he dies, he dies.'

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm surprised Butter's parents sprung for a horse. 

I honestly wonder if the Stotches even own Melancholy. If I ever wanted a backstory for a character on this show, it's this damn horse.

• Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't remember PC Principal's name before. 

According to the link below, his name was revealed in the episode "Board Girls".  So it's no surprise I remembered it, since that's one of my favorite episodes.  That's the one that features the guy who looks and talks like Randy Macho Man Savage as a transgendered Heather Swanson.

https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/PC_Principal

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 1

New episode announcement came late this morning.

“HELP, MY TEENAGER HATES ME”: The boys find out that the joys of playing Airsoft come with the challenges of dealing with teenagers.

I’d wonder how many times Kenny would get killed or Butters shooting guys in the dick . . . but I’ve learned not to hold my breath expecting the expected.

Heres the teaser clip:

• Love 2

Of course Cartman would go full ham on an airsoft field, and actually cry of happiness over how much fun he had. I forget that the kids are, well, kids that would have a great time playing airsoft. I do appreciate a good "the kids doing kid stuff" episode.

Everything with the teenagers reminded me of the paintball episode of King of The Hill. Especially when the dads showed up to back up the kids and kick the teen's asses. I actually cheered when Jimbo showed up. He seemed like the type to run the Airsoft store, I kept wondering if he'd show up an then he did. Teenagers suck. I don't miss those times. They're too depressed and can't function in life. I loved that Cartman had no idea why his teenager had to always go to the bathroom with lotion. I also liked that he's become reflective of how sad his life is. He has no dad and he lives in a hot dog.

"As long as your gun has a red tip and you're white, the police won't shoot you." Gerald knows these things, he's a lawyer.

EDIT: Watching it again, I completely missed Stan mentioning that he had a gay dog (Sparky!). That's a hell of a callback that I really appreciated.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 7

Nice breezy episode not ripped from current events. The boys get into the wonderful world of Airsoft, only to be saddled with moody teenagers. Delightful if you mind "pulled from the headlines" stuff, even when it's sprinkled in nostalgia and floppy horse dong.

Stan's teen had a Naruto poster. Is it wrong that I want to see the reactions of people who take anime too seriously?

Looks like Jimbo made a full recovery from COVID. Awesome that he and the dads rode in at the end to humiliate the teens. Randy using one of his "Specials" as a lure was dirty pool, though, right?

Anyone reading this ever get into Airsoft? How was it? Better than zip-lining?

Everything with the teenagers reminded me of the paintball episode of King of The Hill.

If memory serves, those teens were played by Green Day.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Everything with the teenagers reminded me of the paintball episode of King of The Hill. Especially when the dads showed up to back up the kids and kick the teen's asses.

King of the Hill did it!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

I have two and they have never come close to acting like that.

Also, no one has used "brah" since Point Break.

Brah is still around.  I haven’t heard it from my teenager but I overhear it a lot on whatever they are watching on YouTube.

Yeah my kid isn’t a mono-syllabic brat, the show is an exaggeration.  But there were a lot of things that rang true.  Eye rolling, true.  All of the eating, that’s true.  The not knowing how to make easy food, true.  Asking me for help with something and then getting irritated that I’m explaining how to do it.. true.

The thing that didn’t ring true to me was the pimples.. I don’t know any teenagers with bad skin.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

The thing that didn’t ring true to me was the pimples.. I don’t know any teenagers with bad skin.

Really?  Those are some lucky teenagers.  Nothing says adolescence quite like acne.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I got some pimples, but I was on a regimen with daily application of the StriDex pads.

I thought this was hilarious because it was just a kids' episode, and you need one or two in a season run, and the teenagers were awful. 

Randy using the weed to lure them was brilliant. I liked at the end how 'we have a couple of more years with them.' 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Really?  Those are some lucky teenagers.  Nothing says adolescence quite like acne.

I remembered teenagers having acne back in my day, but I haven’t seen it on my son’s friends.  I am trying to figure out why.  Maybe it will happen eventually.

3 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I remembered teenagers having acne back in my day, but I haven’t seen it on my son’s friends.  I am trying to figure out why.  Maybe it will happen eventually.

Don't question it, just be happy.  It doesn't hit everybody.  Maybe you've always fed them a healthy diet or something.  Or could be genetics.

• Love 3

At first I rolled my eyes at an episode concentrating on shitty teenagers, but as it progressed, it blossomed into horrifying and hilarious recognition. I'm not even a parent, but do tutor middle/high school-age kids, and slowly started to recognize the same petulance, crankiness, and lashing out. I loved the multi-generational take-down of the teens! And Cartman being elated to provide post-game hot dogs. One of my favorite eps in a while.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

I loved the multi-generational take-down of the teens!

Ah, teenagers are the real enemy.  That might solve some of the divisiveness we face.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I reckon this episode is as good as your tolerance for Randy. He goes apeshit when Steve Black does his own “special” for Credigree, gets arrested, one thing leads to another, and St. Patrick’s Day is “cancelled” after Saint Patrick himself arrives to make an ass of himself.

Now . . . if you like Butters getting abused? Boy howdy, this is a great episode! He gets arrested for punching a girl, gets treated like a sexual predator, gets smacked and tased, and he winds up having to sweep up the streets post-holiday. I like the little guy, but it’s funny when he takes it up the ass (metaphorically and — sadly that one time — literally).

It is amazing Randy hasn’t gotten himself killed. Loved his realization that the boys (including a very reluctant Stan) brought him weed inside a cake for an escape attempt.

So . . . aside from the Red Rocks concert, how long will be have to wait for new content? I’m thinking it’ll be exclusive on Paramount+.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I KNEW once Butters was pumped about pinching someone on St. Patrick's Day, he'd get in trouble for it. I wasn't expecting him to be treated as a full on predator, though. That was great. The reveal of the girl wearing green socks was a great twist, too. He just couldn't resist pinching people. Where's Sexual Harassment Panda when you need him? The REAL St. Patrick showing up (looking straight out of a Terry Gilliam cartoon) and groping people was just so wrong and hilarious.

I just loved how Stan was absolutely checked out with Randy's shenanigans. I wasn't feeling it until Randy started blasting cops with rainbow powers. 

36 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Now . . . if you like Butters getting abused? Boy howdy, this is a great episode! He gets arrested for punching a girl, gets treated like a sexual predator, gets smacked and tased, and he winds up having to sweep up the streets post-holiday. I like the little guy, but it’s funny when he takes it up the ass (metaphorically and — sadly that one time — literally).

Just a smorgasbord of Butters abuse, and for once it wasn't his dad's doing this time.

36 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

So . . . aside from the Red Rocks concert, how long will be have to wait for new content? I’m thinking it’ll be exclusive on Paramount+.

Movies are exclusive to Paramount+, while TV episodes are Comedy Central. As for WHEN? Who knows? Maybe in a year.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1

The St Paddy's Day show missed some opportunities. I thought it was going to make a statement when Butters innocently pinched the girl on St Patrick's Day and was arrested ... over reaction in this MeToo and cancel-ridden time, etc.  ... and then it copped out by showing the girl had green socks on. And yet later, when Butters pinched the policeman who wasn't wearing green, the show had the policeman respond like a snowflake. So which is it? Are once harmless pranks now no longer OK, or are people who react to those pranks being ridiculous?

Also, the commentary about it being a white holiday and its culture being appropriated was odd. Technically, that argument is what other ethic groups claim about other aspects of culture. So was SP making fun of that for all groups, or only white people who for some reason don't have the same legitimacy?

There was a quick throw away line about there being white slaves, and Randy quickly shut it down with a "nuh-uh," that also made me wonder what this ep was trying to say. Is it that all the race politics are silly, because we all experienced enough similar things through history (some more widely known than others) that we should all get past them? I couldn't tell.

The other interesting thing was Cartman, who was super subdued and clearly done with the whole St Patrick's Day thing. Normally I would expect him to revel in the "white holiday," but he seemed bored by it all.

Note: And no, I'm not overthinking it. SP has often made clear statements about social issues. 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 2

Did Butters pinch the girl in the butt?  He came up behind her, didn’t raise his arms so his hands would have been below waist level?

If he pinched her in the arm, would SP still have gone with the little boy committed sexual assault line?

When Randy was going on about white culture and white holiday, they could have gone on about white nationalism but they didn’t.  Or have the cops respond to it since many policemen are implicated with white nationalist groups.

The other thing is, Irish immigrants along with Italian immigrants were subject to a lot of discrimination until blacks and Latinos became the primary targets, often from Irish and Italian-Americans.

But these kinds of issues would get in the way of SP caricature.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ottis said:

The other interesting thing was Cartman, who was super subdued and clearly done with the whole St Patrick's Day thing. Normally I would expect him to revel in the "white holiday," but he seemed bored by it all.

And yet he seemed to be the one wearing the most green. 

8 hours ago, Ottis said:

The St Paddy's Day show missed some opportunities. I thought it was going to make a statement when Butters innocently pinched the girl on St Patrick's Day and was arrested ... over reaction in this MeToo and cancel-ridden time, etc.  ... and then it copped out by showing the girl had green socks on.

That's funny, I was a little disappointed that she was wearing green socks too.  Are people really complaining about this St. Patrick's Day tradition of pinching people who don't wear green?  It does seem like it would be problematic in today's world.  

You're right about all the current event issues they were making fun of though, they never put themselves on one side or the other.  They just brought up the issue and you're supposed to laugh.  South Park has always made fun of everyone though, which is probably why they get away with it.

• Love 2

Why wouldn't 4.20 be Randy's biggest day of the year? I like Randy's plots with the weed farm, but I don't know why he didn't just load up and go into town. I was thinking they'd be at the bars already, and then they showed people in the drunk tank at 10 am. 

I got a huge laugh when Butters said 'piiiiinnnnch' and they cut to the cops. 

I never got into St Patrick's day, and I don't need much of an excuse to drink. I liked that Cartman was so checked out. I'm sure he was into the scavenger hunt though. Whenever I've gone out with friends everyone was just so sloppy that it wasn't much fun. I never heard of the pinching. I could totally buy that Butters pinching a girl at school would completely escalate irl though. 

• Love 1
On 3/17/2022 at 10:00 AM, aghst said:

Did Butters pinch the girl in the butt?  He came up behind her, didn’t raise his arms so his hands would have been below waist level?

I watched this back to see, and I'd say it's ambiguous.  My initial impression was that he pinched her around the waist area, but it could be the butt.  I don't think you can really tell for sure.

20 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I got a huge laugh when Butters said 'piiiiinnnnch' and they cut to the cops. 

That was great comedic timing.

• Love 2

South Park: The Streaming Wars      Wednesday, June 1       Paramount+ 

This is South Park Special #3 of the 14 planned for Paramount+.

South Park Special #4 will air later this summer.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This is South Park Special #3 of the 14 planned for Paramount+

I didn't realize these specials were on Paramount+.  I've been considering subscribing to Paramount+ because of a few series and movies, plus the price is reasonable.  I guess I can add South Park to the argument.

It's a wonky situation. Since Paramount distributed the original movie, they can distribute new South Park "movies," even one as hour specials. Regular episodes fall under the HBO Max deal.

• Useful 3

Well. That was different.

There's no "Days of Future Past" this time, but we get heavy-handed metaphors for streaming, with actual streams involved; ManbearPig rearing his (its?) ugly head, and looking good in a suit; and Cartman winding up getting fake breasts after his mother refuses to do it, and it ll stems from him being sick of living in a hot dog.

I might need to rewatch the episode. I don't think much of what I typed makes sense.

If anyone misses Randy being an asshole . . . first of all, you have my sympathy for liking that guy. Secondly, he gets put through the wringer, AND everyone now refers to him as "Karen."

Has anyone else watched "Streaming Wars"?

• Love 2

OK.... well, on the positive side, at least Matt and Trey seem to have finally gotten on board with the fact that the climate change ManBearPig they made fun of for so long is a legit imminent and scary threat to the ecology and to humanity. Having P.P. win the streaming wars in one of the Paramount Plus episodes was a bit on the nose, but the choice of the Bill Withers classic Use Me over the water-wasting montage at the end was perfect.

Cartman with huge fake tits is an image that will haunt my nightmares.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

OK.... well, on the positive side, at least Matt and Trey seem to have finally gotten on board with the fact that the climate change ManBearPig they made fun of for so long is a legit imminent and scary threat to the ecology and to humanity. Having P.P. win the streaming wars in one of the Paramount Plus episodes was a bit on the nose, but the choice of the Bill Withers classic Use Me over the water-wasting montage at the end was perfect.

Cartman with huge fake tits is an image that will haunt my nightmares.

Actually, it's "Pi Pi," but I feel REALLY dumb for not making the connection.

I forgot to add that Manbearpig may have killed Steve Black. Probably not . . . it'll probably turn out that all the pee in the water park lessened the clawing and general ass-whupping MBP doled out.

• Love 1

Very fun episode...er, movie. I do love this show's abilities to pull back old characters a d utilize th again. Funny stuff a d the animation os better than ever. Even Matt and Trey are making fun of themselves with all the streaming war jokes. 

• Love 2

I'm surprised none of the kids pointed out to Stan and Tolkien that while Mr. Black was offering the kids twenty dollars per boat, that Mr. Cussler's offer of $15,000 for 10,000 boats means that the kids are only getting a buck and a half for each boat.

(Not to mention that after the cost of supplies, they were probably losing money).

Seriously, I thought that you two were the smart ones.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

I'm surprised none of the kids pointed out to Stan and Tolkien that while Mr. Black was offering the kids twenty dollars per boat, that Mr. Cussler's offer of $15,000 for 10,000 boats means that the kids are only getting a buck and a half for each boat.

(Not to mention that after the cost of supplies, they were probably losing money).

Seriously, I thought that you two were the smart ones.

That’s Cartman-level lack of homework there. He couldn’t think of a way to get out of getting implants, and now he’s stacked.

• Love 1

I generally like Randy, but wow he was over the top. Karen indeed. Even his jacket had a K on it. Tearing into Stan over the boats was hilarious though

Not to be too technical, but I'm working on research involving water storage and rights. I enjoyed the discussion about Randy being able to lease his rights on the stream.  I would have thought that came up in the purchase of the property. (I know it wasn't really about that). They're right about the reservoirs though; Hoover Dam is way way down and most in the west are under 25% capacity. 

I was dying they were playing WAP over making the boats.  I liked the lego figures on the boat; there was a chef, basketball player, medieval soldier.

And a great callback with the pictures of the realtors. 

I like this new direction of Mrs. Cartman putting her foot down with Cartman. It's 100% his fault they're in the hot dog. 

Wow I was super shocked ManBearPig stabbed Tolkien's dad and then they just ended it!

Was the Water Commissioner a tip of the hat to Chinatown? 

• Love 1
On 6/5/2022 at 2:35 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Was the Water Commissioner a tip of the hat to Chinatown? 

I certainly thought so. It comes to mind easy because Chinatown was partially about water rights too.

I liked the episode overall, although I really hate that Cardi B song and certainly didn't need it over a long montage. But I do wonder if they have an ending for this planned or have to write themselves out of a hole. Cartman with breasts could certainly launch its own A plot. But murders setting up a drought really needs resolution.

I really don't get Matt and Trey any more. This episode was chock full of funny moments (Cartman's tits, Butters' freakout, Karen, etc.) and smart observations, as well as the nice digs and references to "streaming".

However, a sly reference to Paramount Plus (Pi Pi) doesn't absolve them from their hypocrisy, and the ham fisted climate warning at the end only makes them seem pretentious and insincere.

They need to include the guy bitching about them being preachy in every episode now.

South-Park-The-Streaming-Wars-Part-2-key

The 4th of 14 South Park Movies for Paramount+. 
In SOUTH PARK THE STREAMING WARS PART 2, a drought has brought the town of South Park to the brink of disaster. The sequel premieres exclusively on Paramount+ on July 13 in the US and Canada.