Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Butters seems and odd choice for that. I would have bet on Randy or Cartman getting into all the q business. 

Butters makes a lot of sense IMO, he usually buys all in on whatever nonsense Cartman tells him, started hating girls because he had like one bad experience with a long distance girlfriend, and regularly takes on the role of a supervillain out to get revenge on society because he feels like an outcast.

Cartman would fit on his asshole belief system, but he usually has too much of an ego to be a follower, he likes to be the one in control of the mob. If he can't be in control of a group that fits his ideology he'll be the one taking charge of group fighting against them.

Randy is usually on the left on political stuff, even if he's often a hypocrite, he'd be more likely to be in some sort of Antifa type of group.

• Love 3

The absolute audacity that Mr. Garrison would come back and act like nothing happened, and assume everyone hates him because he's gay. And not, you know, ruining the country. I love how they incorporated Q-Anon. The Whites (ha) think Garrison has a plan to save the country...but, of course, he doesn't care.

The Q people turning into tutors to "save" the kids was great. That whole bit about Epstein was just brutal, but that's right wing propaganda for you. Horrifying. And of course that turns the other kids into Q followers. Of course Butters was in Q just to get out of the house.

"And the truth is that" followed by the sudden scene change gave me the biggest laugh of the episode, followed by the significance of March 4th being the launch of Paramount+. Seems like Matt & Trey are the ones (literally) behind everything.

Loved the cameos. The Underpants Gnomes! Kanye! Jesus! The Greys! Mr Slave! And...Mr. Hat?! None of them are eligible for the vaccine. The struggle is real. I love whenever the old people on this show get to be assholes. And then EVERYONE showed up at the end. Hell, I caught Sexual Harassment Panda and a Marklar in the crowd.

So...are the boys not friends anymore? I like that they all have to share Kenny, though. 

Personally, I felt like this episode was all over the place. Not gonna lie, the first half was better than the second half. The trippy meta moments on the Paramount+ mountain was pretty neat, but confusing. Are we getting actual seasons? (EDIT: 223 is the episode before Tegridy Farms, so we might've gotten a hard reset)

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 2

That was good. Garrison finally comes home to South Park and suffers little consequences of the last five years. Given how nobody ever ages, his reign will probably be thrown out the window in a few year. Assuming Matt & Trey haven't packed it in by then.

Thinking of @Spartan Girl . . if you're still on the fence, Randy doesn't show up until the end! Maybe the guys realize that too much Randy isn't a good thing, and they held off on him. We still get Garrison's creepy ass, though, and Mr. Service . . . some poor Secret Service agent forced into a Speedo for the entire episode, sacrificing his dignity even when he kills a QAnon "tutor." And now, he's Mr. Hat. Oh kaaaaaaay? Plus side: the powers that Qanon fights turned Mr. White into a literal giant dick. I'm good with that.

The boys wind up front and center again, though their center might be broken for good. Who knows with this show? Cartman is still the biggest asshole, Kyle and Stan drift apart, and Kenny is the poor kid who's used as an excuse for the friendship. And, of course, Cartman' prank on the teacher leads through an epic involving stolen vaccines, several parties ready to get their shot (tasty fruit!), and the teacher dying before she got the vaccine . ..  leading Garrison as the permanent teacher. And that is someone no one in South Park wanted.

Inspired bit with QAnon obssessive becoming tutors because the teachers were quitting over not getting the vaccine. That leads to "Lil' Q-Ties" . . . and yeah, Cartman was right to be impressed by that name. "Kommunity Kids" also worked for me. Gotta love Butters joining the Q-Ties just to get out of the house. Also: the confrontation between Mr. Stotch and Cartman from the commercials didn't make the final cut.

2 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Loved the cameos. The Underpants Gnomes! Kanye! Jesus! The Greys! Mr Slave! And...Mr. Hat?! None of them are eligible for the vaccine. The struggle is real. I love whenever the old people on this show get to be assholes. And then EVERYONE showed up at the end. Hell, I caught Sexual Harassment Panda and a Marklar in the crowd.

Another bonus: real pictures of the cabal posted on a whiteboard, and that included Matt & Trey's press pic for BASEketball.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

That whole bit about Epstein was just brutal, but that's right wing propaganda for you.

I haven't watched the episode yet (I recorded it) but there are legit Q followers on Twitter passing that isolated clip around and applauding South Park for becoming a part of the "Great Awakening" and are praising them for bringing the "adrenechrome harvesting" to the public's attention. 

I can't with those morons. 

7 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I haven't watched the episode yet (I recorded it) but there are legit Q followers on Twitter passing that isolated clip around and applauding South Park for becoming a part of the "Great Awakening" and are praising them for bringing the "adrenechrome harvesting" to the public's attention. 

I can't with those morons. 

Just goes to show you that some people really are too stupid to insult.

Caught the last bit, and while I should be pissed that the poor teacher died just so that Garrison could have his job back and be absolved of everything (though to be honest, I expected it) Mr. White turning into a literal dick made up for it. At least SOMEBODY on this show finally got what they deserved!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

What a mess. This was definitely a "throw a bunch of shit on the wall and see what sticks" approach.  The only things I found funny were the dueling reporters and the old people raising hell. The Powers That Be bit was terrible.  And everyone they were mocking got off too light.

When did they dumb down Kenny so much?  He's always been poor, but not "Trolls headphones" special.

• Love 2

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how happy they were that Randy wasn't prominently featured.  As I've said before, I like Randy, but I don't need him to be the central character.  It was nice to put the focus back on the kids.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Caught the last bit, and while I should be pissed that the poor teacher died just so that Garrison could have his job back and be absolved of everything

Also not the first teacher to die to get Garrison back as the boys' teacher. Remember Ms. Choksondik?

• Love 2

Great episode.  I think getting it back to Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny was the absolute best thing.  Seeing them dissolve at the end wS strong too...we'll see if that actually lasts.  I like Randy but it was good to keep him pretty much off-camera.

I hadn't thought about the fact that Trump not being president anymore would mean the same for Garrison.  His return to the show was very welcome.  A lot of great callouts to the early days of the show too.

I thought the show would go really old school by having Kenny die by taking all the vaccines but create some sort of super inoculation instead.

The Walgreens stuff was really funny.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

Been rewatching the first-half of the first season because I never watched the show beyond that, and I'm finally all caught up. Finally got to watch "Hanky the Christmas Poo" for the first time, and it feels like this is where the show would finally become the iconic no-holds-barred shit-talker in the neighborhood of adult animation that earned its reputation.

Even though my first exposure to the show was a handful of clips I saw on the Internet, I think my first true engagement with it - in that I directly sought out something South Park-related - was the Hanky the Christmas Poo soundtrack, and man, I instantly knew this animated series was something special I needed to watch someday. It took me a long time, but I'm finally here, having the spare time to start watching.

Ironically, the one song that won my heart wasn't the catchy Mr. Hanky theme, but "The Lonely Jew" song by Kyle - and I'm not even Jewish! It just has this weird dark comedy vibe that's at the same time relatable and tearjerking. Man, this was truly something unique and revolutionary for animated TV, especially when you take into consideration that they literally had a talking singing piece of shit... in a Disney fashion...

There's just so much contained in this episode that showed how far Trey and Matt were willing to push the boundaries beyond anything biting classic Simpsons and Groening dared to push. And it wasn't just shock value for shock value's sake like Family Guy either- this was shock value with a candid (albeit crude) message, so it's different. For example, the way it satirizes those vapid Christmas toy commercials with its own "I wish daddy was alive" Hanky ad, that shit is hilarious but also taking a shot at those commercials we hate. Trey and Matt is like our catharsis for everything we hate. Kinda like an American Ricky Gervais. Maybe even a meaner Ricky too.

Edited by MagnusHex
  • Love 3
On 4/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, MagnusHex said:

Ironically, the one song that won my heart wasn't the catchy Mr. Hanky theme, but "The Lonely Jew" song by Kyle - and I'm not even Jewish! It just has this weird dark comedy vibe that's at the same time relatable and tearjerking.

It's a nice touch when they put some heart into the characters.  And unlike other shows, it never feels forced or fake.

• Love 2

I'm going to assume it will be 14 hour plus long specials similar to the pandemic special. They don't need the money so maybe this allows them to do one off stories they have wanted to do.

Either way, 2 a year plus the regular series episodes is going to be a lot of South Park. Maybe the first movie will just be Terrance & Phillip farting for an hour. The ultimate troll.

• Love 2

I’m confused . . . is the show only going to be on P+ now? Or will these specials be a separate thing from the Comedy Central run?

In case you didn’t see the brief teaser:

Anyone ready to speculate what the other characters would look like in the future?

MTV Entertainment Studios inks new and expansive deal with creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone through 2027

The new and expansive deal with MTV Entertainment Studios encompasses the following distribution:

Paramount+ contract: 14 South Park original made-for-streaming movies (length undetermined, probably around an hour) – two for 2021

Comedy Central contract: 2022 will be South Park's 25th season which extends to an unprecedented 30th season in 2027.

1 hour ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Paramount+ only?  Fuck off, Matt and Trey.

I got P+, but I can’t say I disagree with that.

Anyone think a separate thread should be set up? In case it turns out the “movies” sets up a new continuity. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I don’t have P+ but was able to watch some of it. And…yeah. I’m done. This got too dark for me. I don’t know if it’ll all be undone somehow, but I just can’t anymore.

Matt and Trey made the same mistakes The Simpsons did: they didn’t bow out gracefully while things were still good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I had no idea what to expect, but the whole concept of the future take was really funny. All the sight gags and 'it's the future' (we know) asides were fantastic. I liked how so much was -Max. I liked Stan's 'Alexa'; when he told her to pause, she picked up the remote to rewind. 

It was kind of jarring hearing the kids in adult voices. They still all had the same color schemes. Cartman's voice seemed off for what I would have thought for him. I couldn't recognize all the characters, but I think one of the goths was in church.  

The doorbell was the best joke. 

Since they're basically doing Comedy Central in parallel with these movies, I'm wondering if they're going to have a canon timeline and non-canon. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 4

Watched it. Seeing things turn out depressing for most of the kids . . . I'm not that shocked. Yeah Jimmy has a late-night talk show, but I'm willing to bet he's constrained by the extreme politically correct atmosphere.

Rabbi Cartman. Of course. My guess: he really isn't running a decades-long gag on Kyle, converting to Judaism saved his life, and that's why he doesn't want the past to be changed. I can't blame Kyle, though. Cartman is still Cartman, and quoting the Old Testament whle railing his wife Yentl is pretty suspect.

Poor Stan. At times, he sounds like his dad, and that's never good. I did like the scenes with Alexa.

12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Sharon and Shelly deserved better. And yes, that was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me.

That was bleak. I can't say that I blame you. That is a good reason to root for a change to the continuity.

"You see, since this is the future-" "WE KNOW!!" Cute running gag, as well as "Shellfishness" and "Orthodox."

Tweak never did learn to calm down, did he? And at least Token looks cool. I really dug Kenny's eccentric genius look.

Who was missing? The only one I can think of is Timmy. Watching the scenes at the asylum, there was one with no menacing shadow,, as if the person inside was too small. Yeah, I knew Butters would be in there. "Victor Chouse" was a nice swerve.

ETA: Anyone else figure Kenny’s reincarnations won’t get mentioned? I’m assuming his mother is long dead and she was the only way he could return.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

I'm watching the movie right now. Over the top in all the right ways, IMO. 

The moment you find out Stan's female companion is Alexa... is the one this started really working for me. 

Yes,  its bleak.  What do people expect?  Its the Seinfeld finale thing.  These are bad people. Why is anyone shocked that bad things happen to them?

• Love 4

Alexa with an attitude killed me every time. Of course it evolves to be a relationship, but a dysfunctional one. And yet still perfectly does all the upselling reminders.

I also enjoyed the other recurring jokes: "woke comedy" and clumsy "it's the future" exposition. And such a clever idea to call it the Post-Pandemic Special, open with saying we're nearly out of it, and then show that it's 40 years in the future. 

My favorite joke was Clyde declining the vaccine "for shellfish reasons". Just a stupid pun, but I loved it when Flora was undecided and I love it now.

• Love 1

“We’re from the future.” Stan: “No. No way. We went through this shit ages ago. My parents hired you guys to keep me from using drugs.”

Aside from Butters and Timmy, who else wasn’t in the first special?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Huh. Looks like we won’t get a dozen specials focusing on a crap future. Definitely for the best, as everyone gets the happiest future possible thanks to time travel and the concept of people with different views cutting each other slack. Well . . . except for Cartman, who wound up homeless and bitter.

Spoiler for @Spartan Girl at the end of this poet, in case you skipped this special.

Butters . . . Jesus, dude. “Victor Chas” had the power to sell anyone on NFTs. That’s way more chaotic than anything Professor Chaos could have done. It was funny to see that he still peed the same: pants down, shirt up. And then we got to see his dick when Cartman startled him. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Anyone else think Ike wouldn’t wind up sounding Canadian because he grew up in the States? Also, I didn’t think of him in the last special because he was absent.

@Spartan Girl: When the future got rewritten, Sharon and Shelly wound up living. Shelly still sounds like she did in 2021, though. Bad news: Gerald wound up in the old folks home with Sheila. But hey, maybe he got hit by a truck in the revised timeline!

• Love 2

@Lantern7 I saw clips. Glad Sheila and Shelly got another chance though Randy still being a horrible person who took zero responsibility for anything still irked.

I had been hoping Butters was imprisoned for finally snapping and killing his parents after everything they did to him. Ah well.

NGL was satisfied they killed Clyde. 

The ending…while I do agree we should cut each other some slack during the pandemic, are Matt and Trey really trying to “both sides” the mask issue?! We’re not being self-righteous, we’re trying to stop spreading the virus!

• Love 1

Did they write this whole movie *after* omicron came out? That's like 11 days!

The Alexa gag is continually funny, but I still like all the 'it's the future jokes too.' Then they doubled up on the Alexa. 

I wasn't expecting the NFTs though. The Alexas canceling out Butters was brilliant. 

Wow the Canandian bisexual joke killed. 

I did feel a little bad that Cartman totally got shafted. I suppose you have to pay some cosmic price for setting up a time travel plot to murder someone, but that was a little much. 

I had a friend/colleague that came over just about weekly during the pandemic, and we sat on the porch and had drinks, played dominoes, and listened to the radio. So I can see the analogy of everyone being high. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The ending…while I do agree we should cut each other some slack during the pandemic, are Matt and Trey really trying to “both sides” the mask issue?! We’re not being self-righteous, we’re trying to stop spreading the virus!

I don't see a problem with that. I don't think they were both siding the mask issue though. I think they were making a comment on being extreme either way. That's what I got when they were saying to cut everyone some slack. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

@Lantern7 I saw clips. Glad Sheila and Shelly got another chance though Randy still being a horrible person who took zero responsibility for anything still irked.

I had been hoping Butters was imprisoned for finally snapping and killing his parents after everything they did to him. Ah well.

NGL was satisfied they killed Clyde. 

That was the one part I didn't like.  I'm not sure if it was meant to be tongue in cheek, as the QAnon/Insurrection part in the same sequence was clearly meant to be.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The only slack I'll cut people who won't wear masks and anti-vaxxers is I won't cheer when they die from Covid.

Still, I didn't hate the overall message Trey and Matt tried to send with the specials.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Both of the guys said they took it too far, to be fair. I don't see any issue with having to wear a mask when asked so I don't agree with 'both sides', but I didn't take they were making that point. I'm coming from a pov that the approach to risk mitigation was grossly mismanaged but that's probably beyond the scope of the movie. Although they did kind of talk around it; I don't think that's what they were thinking. 

It could have been worded more differently, like “No, I get where you were coming from, I don’t like wearing masks either.” That would have gotten the message better across without coming off as both-siding.

Those are pretty funny. But I’ve thought long and hard and I’ve decided that I’m done. I think I was starting to be done before the pandemic, and that just made it official. This show isn’t the release it used to be, and I’ve become disillusioned with Trey and Matt. I can’t endure one more season of Randy being the King Asshole. Maybe I’ll read about the episodes on the internet, but I’m just not interested in watching it anymore.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Those are pretty funny. But I’ve thought long and hard and I’ve decided that I’m done. I think I was starting to be done before the pandemic, and that just made it official. This show isn’t the release it used to be, and I’ve become disillusioned with Trey and Matt. I can’t endure one more season of Randy being the King Asshole. Maybe I’ll read about the episodes on the internet, but I’m just not interested in watching it anymore.

The season is only 6 episodes you can tuff that out.

South Park  S25.E01: Pajama Day

Stan, Kyle, Cartman and Kenny do not get to wear their pajamas to school on the most important day of the year. After failing to show respect for their teacher, PC Principal revokes Pajama Day privileges for the entire 4th grade class.  Cartman is distraught.  The kids aren’t going to stand for it but PC Principal refuses to back down.

Original Airdate: Wednesday, February 2 at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on Comedy Central.

South-Park-25th-Premiere-Pajama-Day-Imag

South-Park-25th-Premiere-Pajama-Day-Imag

• Love 2