Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/14/2020 at 8:01 AM, Spartan Girl said:

with over hundreds of thousands of people dead because of coronavirus, I don't think I'll be in the mood to see Randy accidentally causing a pandemic in South Park. 

South Park has always had the approach that no topic is off limits, but you have to think that this might be the line.  On the other hand they've been trying to get cancelled for years now so who knows... 

10 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think the funnier plot would be something about refusing to wear masks. 

I could see Randy irate and protesting because he thinks everyone is being oppressed by the police.

• Love 1

In case you didn't hear, Adult Swim more or less canceled The Venture Bros. This comes a few years removed from their last airing episode. Here's my question: has anyone heard from Matt and/or Trey about Season 24?

Given how 2016 shook out, I honestly wouldn't blame the guys if they decide not to focus directly on current events this year. Or if they decide to wait until early 2021 to produce episodes. Or if they go "fuck it" and kill the show altogether.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So instead of a season, they're just going to do a one-hour special? Interesting.

But I have no interest in watching Randy continue to be the absolute worst.

I'd much rather have a season than a special, let alone one of Randy's specials.  Looks funny though.

• Love 1

I didn’t think of that happening. I can live with sporadically-scheduled specials given the current circumstances. And, of course, Randy is still operating Tegridy Farms, and he’s offering a “Pandemic Special.”

On 9/9/2020 at 2:20 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Almost everything that happened last season came to play this year. Regardless of whether they decide to do this year, I'm sitting it out.

Good luck. I can make fun to a degree where Cartman would be proud, but I tend to watch stuff that’s no good for me. It’s hard to give it up under normal circumstances. I watched all ten seasons of Smallville when I knew it only deserved five, as if I was getting a trophy if I stuck around to the end.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn’t think of that happening. I can live with sporadically-scheduled specials given the current circumstances. And, of course, Randy is still operating Tegridy Farms, and he’s offering a “Pandemic Special.”

Good luck. I can make fun to a degree where Cartman would be proud, but I tend to watch stuff that’s no good for me. It’s hard to give it up under normal circumstances. I watched all ten seasons of Smallville when I knew it only deserved five, as if I was getting a trophy if I stuck around to the end.

Yeah, me too. But lately I've gotten better at dropping shows that don't bring me joy anymore because the older I get, the less energy I have to hate watch things. And I stuck with South Park longer than I should have, but I think last season was the final straw. Maybe I'll come back if, God willing, things get better, but for now, I'm done. Though I'll probably peek at recaps.

Really, Trey and Matt pretty much nailed the virus crisis before it even happened here: with the townspeople going around drunk/coked out driving and not giving a shit about the destruction was the perfect metaphor.

• Love 2

South Park has always thrived off of current events.  This has been a big year for current events, so I don't know why they should sit out now.  I got stale on The Simpsons at a certain point and quit watching, but I still enjoy South Park.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, rmontro said:

South Park has always thrived off of current events.  This has been a big year for current events, so I don't know why they should sit out now.  I got stale on The Simpsons at a certain point and quit watching, but I still enjoy South Park.

I’m thinking it’s a mix of COVID complicating production and how this presidential election is even more chaotic than the last one. I feel 2016 almost broke Matt & Trey. While a case could have been made that they could ease off current events, writing stories that wouldn’t have to be produced in a small window, I think the occasional special is reasonable. Once again, if they had decided to end the series with no grand finale, I wouldn’t have blamed them too much.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

While a case could have been made that they could ease off current events, writing stories that wouldn’t have to be produced in a small window, I think the occasional special is reasonable. Once again, if they had decided to end the series with no grand finale, I wouldn’t have blamed them too much.

It's the small window that's the real problem IMO, and it's just not necessary.  It's an animated sitcom, it's not the nightly news.

I don't really care about a grande finale, but have they said they're wanting to end the series?  I haven't heard anything, but I don't keep up with entertainment news.  As I said, I'm still enjoying South Park, so I'd prefer they keep it going.

• Love 2

Part of the fun of South Park is guessing which current events, celebrities or films are going to get the SP takedown.

But yeah I don't blame them if part of it is covid related production issues or overload.  They've always made fun of both sides and claim to be Libertarian but it does appear Trey and Matt have favored a more liberal opinion in the recent years.  They took cheap shots at Hillary Clinton for years but in 2016 went full on SERIOUSLY! FUCKING VOTE FOR HER!

I know most people like the kids being kids episodes but there's also been episodes about with global connection and the world moving so fast that it's hard to just be kids.

Plus they've eerily prognosticated some issues long before they happened.  The Netflix Cuties controversy is straight out of Stupid Spoiled Whore Video Playset and that episode aired sixteen years ago.

• Love 2

I was poking around the cable schedule, dreading having to miss Archer on Wednesday night . . . and then I found out "Pandemic Special" will premiere at 8 p.m. Then it's be repeated twice before The Daily Show. Normally, I wouldn't double-post, but I figured you guys should know if you haven't already.

30 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I was poking around the cable schedule, dreading having to miss Archer on Wednesday night . . . and then I found out "Pandemic Special" will premiere at 8 p.m. Then it's be repeated twice before The Daily Show. Normally, I wouldn't double-post, but I figured you guys should know if you haven't already.

Yeah, I was surprised to see that, too.

Starting off desolate and depressing, I see. I love that Butters' dad is so anal about the pandemic. For once, he's got a point.

So wait, I thought Jimbo was related to Randy, not Sharon. Regardless, of course he's the one in the hospital with Covid.

Cartman, you evil genius. Of course he fakes buffering to get out of zoom school and wants to do everything he can to not do anything. He was living the dream. Ha, they brought back him squealing like a pig, and this time it was in front of cops.

Oh my god, Covid was Randy's fault! He and Mikey Mouse fucked a bat in a back alley in China and I cannot believe I just typed that. And then a Pangolin. The vaccine being Randy jizzing into his weed was so very wrong, but so very fitting. All I could think of was Assburgers all over again. Everyone growing Randy's mustache was such a great twist, though.

I laughed really hard at the reveal that the police became the new teachers because they got defunded. Token getting shot was only inevitable, wasn't it?

God, I love that Mr. Slave was what got Mr. Garrison's attention. And he ruined everything. Of course.

So good to be back. This was all nuts. I'm with Stan...this all sucks.

• Love 2

Looks like the pandemic has broken Stan. On the bright side, he didn’t have to deal with his father being a selfish asshole for the entire hour.

That was fun. So much crammed into the episode, and it worked. Okay, we didn’t really need Randy committing beastiality and jizzing into his “pandemic special,” but it was a tight hour.

Im thinking the Mayor missing Officer Barbrady right about now. Cops getting their old jobs back looked as happy as kids on Christmas morning. So wrong. And, of course, they shot Token. I think that’s the second time for him. I’m amazed he hasn’t run away from home by now.

And we got peak Cartman. Faking glitches on Zoom was genius.

Man, there’s so much to cover, and that’s before Garrison set a pangolin on fire with a flamethrower, along with the scientist holding him. Apparently, as long as COVID kills Mexicans (whom he hates, which is something established way back ago), he’s a happy guy.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Im thinking the Mayor missing Officer Barbrady right about now. Cops getting their old jobs back looked as happy as kids on Christmas morning. So wrong. And, of course, they shot Token. I think that’s the second time for him. I’m amazed he hasn’t run away from home by now.

And here I was expecting that the police got so defunded they can ONLY afford Barbrady.

35 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Oh my god, Covid was Randy's fault!

So they did make it Randy's fault. I called it.

And yes, I did catch the last five minutes. That's honestly all I needed to see. I'm so Stan right now.

So I'm guessing Trey and Matt are going to wait til after the election to make another one?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Token getting shot was only inevitable, wasn't it?

As was Kenny getting killed by the cops’ enthusiastic return.

10 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

So wait, I thought Jimbo was related to Randy, not Sharon. Regardless, of course he's the one in the hospital with Covid.

That actually makes sense, though now I’m wondering if Sharon comes from a family of Jimbos. Jimboes? It makes her exasperation with Randy even more easy to grasp, trading most of her family for Randy. A few more years with him, she might snap and try to drown Shelly and Stan.

• Love 2

I'm glad to see South Park return, and I enjoyed it.  That said, I didn't think it was one of their best efforts.  Not terrible by any means, it probably fell in the middle somewhere.  The only thing that concerns me about this "season" is that if it's going to consist of a series of Specials, does that mean that Randy is going to be the focus of every one of them?  Since the Specials are always one of his weed deals.  

I like Randy, but I don't need him to be the center of every episode.

• Love 1

This started off great then went downhill (for me) when the focus shifted to Randy and his beastiality and jizz pot. I just find it more entertaining when they stick closer to satire than the super crazy shit. Loved Cartman's song. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Now that the election is over, I just have one thing to say: your move, Matt and Trey.

I heard that “Pandemic Special” wouldn’t be the last special. I’m sure there will be a Christmas/Holiday/Whatever special next month. And the bar is always set up high at that time.

• Love 1

On the one hand, this is good news. I'm thinking we'll be getting a healthy mix of vaccination and QAnon-based humor. On the other hand . . . I already have The Challenge and Tough as Nails on Wednesday nights!

Eh, I'm good with it.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe Garrison finally gets what he deserves? I don’t know. I’ve been burned too many times...

South Park, CO, is where personal responsibility goes to die in a motel room. I think the town motto, translated from Latin, is “When In Doubt, Blame Butters.”

I’m thinking making episodes from so many remote locations is a drag, and that’s why we’ve only had the one episode since the end of 2019. But if Matt & Trey find a way to just do specials, I wouldn’t hate them that much for it, if at all.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Butters joins QAnon?

Yeeaaaah I think I need to sit this one out again.

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Butters seems and odd choice for that. I would have bet on Randy or Cartman getting into all the q business. 

Prediction: The Stotches are QAnon, they push Butters into it, and he gets way too into things.

(edited)

@DoctorAtomic: Or how about this: Butters hears about QAnon. He goes into Detective Butter mode, does the research, and he comes out believing that "Q" is talking to him. Hell, that could be another vicious prank from Cartman. That sounds on-brand for him.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1