Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"A student referred to rape as a 'hot Cosby.'" And the season hits the ground running.

I thought it was gold that not only do we have PC Principal as the PC Police, he meets other PC jocks, and they start a fraternity. And of course, Randy gets involved. At least it was by accident this time.

The whole climax with Cartman sending in pregnant Mexican women, taco cannons, Syrian refugees and then Jared? That was amazing.

Neat that Cartman doesn't stray too far from the Patriots. On the other hand, I'm slightly dreading the episode. The episode where Garrison transitions still makes me numb when I think about it, especially the opening scene.

I was dreading that too, but I was actually relieved that the PC bros more resembled the Death Camp of Tolerance.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3

I really enjoyed this one too.  Very good start to the season.

PC Principal reminded me looks wise of Jim McMahon.  I do love that they were all college graduates, where the most anti-free speech PC nonsense is coming from nowadays.

Great stuff on the Cartman front.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

I must be out of touch, because I didn't understand this.

Cartman sent in pregnant Mexican women (so they can give birth to anchor babies), they were attracted by the tacos. Then he sent in Syrian refugee children, which were followed by Jared, and they were all fighting each other and the PC bros.

• Love 1

*sigh* This is going to be another continuity-filled season, isn't it?

I'm guessing Comedy Central ran "TSST!" before this episode because we get Cartman straying from his malicious ways. As always, it doesn't take. I emphasize with Kyle, though I really wasn't feeling this ep. Randy shenanigans aren't like Cartman's, in the sense that Randy can be hit-or-miss. This week, it was more of a miss.

Yep, it looks they're doing another season with continuity, although I hope they find a way to work Principal Victoria back in. She was a good character.

I liked this episode. It was funny, but was also nicely conflicted about its subject matter in a way that's atypical of the show's first decade or so.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 4

PC Principal reminded me looks wise of Jim McMahon.  I do love that they were all college graduates, where the most anti-free speech PC nonsense is coming from nowadays.

I totally agree!! And I lost it when PC Principal said he was from Texas A&M.

• Love 2

Holy shit, what a premiere! They took down everything current except Donald Trump, though I'm sure he's next. Cartman's plan was brilliant, I laughed so hard at that part.

And I'm so glad Kyle said what I've been thinking all along about Caitlyn Jenner. It's fine if she wanted to be a woman, I just never cared about her either way.

• Love 5

I guess we're going to get some continuity again this season as the episode wasn't resolved in the kids favor.

It's fun to see Cartman struggle against an enemy.

Also some terrific Cartman and Kyle interaction.  Kyle hates Cartman but he definitely likes the devil you know better than the devil you don't.

• Love 2

Cartman sent in pregnant Mexican women (so they can give birth to anchor babies), they were attracted by the tacos. Then he sent in Syrian refugee children, which were followed by Jared, and they were all fighting each other and the PC bros.

I figured that was what happened, but what was Cartman's endgame? Why would the PC bros be upset about those poor oppressed minorities? Speaking of which, why did Principal PC look familiar?
  • Love 1

I just watched the League where JM guested, and yes, he totally looked like him. Those bros probably all majored in something lame. 

I don't think the end was meant to be more than some craziness. *Butters* rounded up pregnant mexican women, syrian refugees, and *Jared*. The whole point was just minority chaos. I figured Cartman thought the PCs would just implode with it all. 

I didn't think they were going to work in the Pats either. That was funny. 

Caitlyn Jenner isn't a hero *to me* either, Kyle. Hey, more power to her. If that means other kids can be more open about being trans and aren't bullied, then that's great. I've donated a decent amount of money to getting anti bullying policies in schools. However, Caitlyn was using the name "Bruce Jenner" so she could get into high end golf courses too. She shouldn't be bullied, but I don't think she's a particularly nice person either. 

I thought at the end Kyle was going to rip out a speech about free speech but I guess there's more to come. 

Clearly, at the end, Cartman is playing a longer game. I think the continuity episodes have been some of the strongest in years, so I am looking forward to this. Plus, they've been on the air for 100 billion epiosdes. They can experiment with their own show if they want.

• Love 6

What I love about South Park is the way they separate and re-mix topics. Most people, were they to write an episode about current political correctness, would have made the antagonist an overweight Tumblr-referencing "feminist" SJW.  To put that position in the hands of a "frat boy" type is unexpected, and funnier, and makes the satire more broadly about the topic than the people. All positives.

And then to mix Caitlyn Jenner with mocking the NFL is something only South Park could do.  Really very clever.

Negatives: Randy didn't really have much of a role, given his screen time. I guess he was a device to let us see more of PC House, but it felt like that didn't go anywhere. Also with Cartman it felt like they were telling us the resolution, not showing it. When Kyle said "We all lost in this, and the only person who won is you" I thought "Really?"  That wasn't self-evident to me.

I must be out of touch, because I didn't understand this.

Cartman's explanation at the end was "It's good that we made fun of people because it opened a dialogue." That's why there was a reference to having your cake and eating it.  So it seems like he was trying to offend (and physically assault) the PC House with as many issues as possible, yet take the result as awareness.

• Love 4

Reference? It was literally, uh, literal. Cartman flat out said it. Which was hilarious. 

Randy is a 'bro' now though, so they must be planning to keep that going for this plot. At the end, it seemed like this was set up for him.

Do the adults know that PC principal beat up Cartman? The kids obviously know, but I can't imagine his mom wouldn't go ballistic if she knew. Cartman if anything serves revenge like Arctic cold. He's got to be plotting.  

I fucking died at:

"Did you beat up my friend?"

"To check his privilege; yes I did."

I have heard/read that phrase so many times that it killed me when Randy said it.

I loved that when everyone complimented Caitlyn Jenner as a hero, they had to throw in that she was stunning as well.

I also liked when the PC principal was going over all the terrible things the town had ever said, and Mr Garrison's defense was "Well, I was a lesbian at the time", as if that made it ok.

• Love 6

Caitlyn Jenner isn't a hero *to me* either, Kyle. Hey, more power to her. If that means other kids can be more open about being trans and aren't bullied, then that's great. I've donated a decent amount of money to getting anti bullying policies in schools. However, Caitlyn was using the name "Bruce Jenner" so she could get into high end golf courses too. She shouldn't be bullied, but I don't think she's a particularly nice person either. 

So much this. Maybe it's just my knee-jerk reaction to anything related to the vapid Kardashian-Jenner famewhores, but I don't find her particularly selfless or admirable, especially compared to someone like, say, Chaz Bono.

Randy explaining "checking priviledge" in his hungover voice was hilarious.

I mostly enjoyed the last season-long arc, so if that's what Parker & Stone are going for again, I say bring it on. I like how they're trying different things narratively without smacking of desperation.

• Love 4

I thought this episode was brilliant and a great way to start the season. I hope they do keep up with continuity but if they don't, I'm okay with that too. I will feel a tiny bit bad about Randy having to pledge bro-dom and not get anything more from it.

• Love 1

I loved the episode, even if it didn't having me cackling that much. I, too, agreed with Kyle regarding Caitlyn Jenner. I think that Laverne Cox, Janet Mock, Tula, even my own trans friends are more heroic than she is, and that she doesn't seem like that great of a person. And I really hope that Cartman is plotting. It does seem like they're doing another season with continuity, so this was just a ground-laying episode. It also has me and my wife making siren noises and yelling "PC Principal" at each other whenever we make a comment that could be slightly perceived as off-colour. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Love 3

I feel remiss for not mentioning S3 among my five or six favorite seasons! Rainforest Schaminforest and Sexual Harassment Panda are both special favorites, Jakovasaurs amuses me more than it probably should, Are You There God? It's Me Jesus is awesome (I tend to love South Park episodes that take on religion and spirituality even when I don't always agree with the message), and Starvin' Marvin is Space is one of the very first episodes I saw and helped to hook me forever on this  wonderfully weird, witty, gross, creative, sneakily thought provoking, way-smarter-than-non-fans-give-it-credit-for show! 

Which female South Park characters have you guys enjoyed the most? 

I need to cheer myself up, so I'm treating myself to a South Park marathon this weekend :) 

Great episode. I loved the SJW mocking (as someone who tends towards being PC myself) and how South Park did mainly stick with using her for Caitlyn but still called out how people need to go overboard with the praise.

On the sports side, my Bostonian fiancé was cackling at the Tom Brady, Patriots coach, NFL commissioner, and Cartman sequence.

Can't wait for an episode about Trump.

• Love 2

I love that we all recognize PC Principal but we can't quite place who he is based on.  He's like the Everyman Giant Douche Turd Sandwich.

What I thought was genius about this episode was that it perfectly captured every twitter shit storm and forum pile on I've ever seen.  You've got Cartman who says something offensive or stupid.  Then PC Principal who reacts to it and then goes nuclear in a way that completely misses the point (Kyle's longer detention for not thinking CJ is a hero, caring more about not using a gender neutral title than being framed for child molestation).  You've got the brave soul, Kyle, that wades into the fray and tries to speak reasonably and hold onto his views but is eventually silenced and capitulates to the mob.  And Stan and the others who don't speak up and try to stay out of it and silently hope the Kyles of the world will stop the PC bros. 

I found this aspect of the premiere especially funny because several celebrities made major media gaffs pre-show and some of the comments I'd been seeing were parroted almost word for word in the episode a few hours later by the PC bros.

• Love 1

Excellent answers! 

I just rewatched Go God Go and think I was remiss for not putting it on that ever-growing list of special all time favorites. It started me thinking about what people would name as their favorite episodes to deal with God/religion/spirituality...and, yes, we can count the one where Satan throws a massive party (along with a few fits) in a parody of MTV's 'Super Sweet 16' :)  

I have a love/hate relationship with South Park. In about 75% of the episodes, I think they have a brilliant and funny idea, then muck it up by adding ten more ideas before the end. I understand that's the deal of the show but I find it frustrating. The idea of the PC Principal and the Caitlyn Jenner hero story was fantastic and very funny. They didn't need to make Cartman act totally well, non Cartman-ish and the the whole fraternity house thing just wasn't funny to me. And yes I must be old because I don't like watching even cartoon adults beat up cartoon kids; again not funny to me. 

I have been fighting a secret war with the PC police for a long time and found the idea that virtually anything could be considered non PC to be pretty accurate in this day and time. And hell no, Caitlyn Jenner is not a hero.

• Love 3

There's no press release about Wednesday's episode, but there is a clip. When was the last time Mr. Garrison was front-and-center, plot-wise?

I clicked that link.  They made me agree to new terms and conditions.  I'm feeling a little queasy over what I might have just agreed to in a very HUMANCENTiPAD kind of way.

• Love 1

Yes! Mr. Garrison taking on Trump! I love that the show went the usual South Park route and took on illegal Canadians AND have them have crazy religious customs to skewer Islamaphobia at the same time. God, I love that "Buddy," "Friend," "Guy," and Farting are all in the Canadian alphabet. But not Zed in place of Z?

I loved that Canada built a wall to keep US out. I was hoping it was Scott's idea, he hates Americans. And Native Canadians. But also Americans. I was hoping that Canadian Donald Trump/Stephen Harper was going to be Scott the whole time, but I liked that twist nonetheless. (Man, I loved that all the Canadian left because of Canadian Trump/Harper)

Another great detail: Charlotte's family was eating poutine, back bacon and pie.

Ha, Kyle gets a medal from the president for what he said last week. And this show's version of Caitlin Jenner didn't disappoint either.

All in all, much better than last week. Garrison/Jenner 2016!

• Love 5

Yup, we have continuity. Though Cartman is back to normal at least.

Scott the Dick being Canada's Donald Trump is hilarious as Garrison being South Park's Trump. But if Donald Trump becomes president, I will move to Canada for real.

Ah Caitlyn Jenner, the gift that keeps on giving....poor Kyle.

I loved Butters having a romance with Charlotte, but I can't believe they referenced and quoted Lion King 2! We are getting OLD...

I sure hope PC Principal will be gone (with Principal Victoria is back) by the end of the season.

• Love 1

Great episode.  After a weak last season, South Park has been strong out of the gate with two great episodes in a row.

Loved the bit with Caitlin Jenner running over people in the car.  I laughed too at Randy's "Woo woo woo."

Making the illegal immigrants Canadians was pure South Park brilliance. 

Love that they are continuing with continuity this season.

Awesome Garrison episode and I was laughing with that scene of him fucking that guy to death.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

that was freaking awesome!!!

My only question is (and I'm not trying to bring politics into the discussion): how soon will the real Trump threaten to sue Comedy Central (that seems to be his general response to anybody who displeases him lately). I'm thinking......tomorrow morning at the latest.

• Love 1

Why do I feel that this is going to be a long season? I find it hard to root for anybody. Maybe I'm a  grandpa. Or maybe I'm anal about Canada having a prime minister, as opposed to a president. Or maybe I don't "get" things because I never saw a sequel to The Lion King.

ETA: Also . . . Colorado doesn't border Canada. Okay, I'll stop now.

• Love 1

that was freaking awesome!!!

My only question is (and I'm not trying to bring politics into the discussion): how soon will the real Trump threaten to sue Comedy Central (that seems to be his general response to anybody who displeases him lately). I'm thinking......tomorrow morning at the latest.

Eh, if they can survive pissing off the Church of $cientology, they can survive the Wrath of Dumptruck.

Tonight's ep was brilliant, even though my nitpicky self wondered why Canada had a president instead of a prime minister.

Looks like Cartman's back to his Jew-blaming self. Poor Butters... he and Charlotte were actually cute together.

Can't wait to see how Garrison fucks up his presidental run... or maybe he won't fuck it up and will actually win. Anything's possible in the SP universe (or this one).

• Love 1

South Park always plays as loose with the Canadian rules as they like. In the Stick of Truth game Canada also has a prince and princess as well as the Bishop of Banff.

And you can count me on the side that loves season continuity. It makes the whole thing seem more thought-out and has potential for some really big payoffs in both plot and jokes.

• Love 1

And Canada had Saddam as the 'wizard of oz.' And the kids walked across the whole country in like a day. That's the point of the joke. 

The kids playing CM during class was a scream. We always used to play that in band. Garrison raping the president of Canada was disturbing and instantly hilarious when he huffed the poppers. 

I am having a hard time believing Cartman isn't going to get revenge on PC Principal. I was hoping we'd see something that he hasn't let it go. 

I enjoy the continuity. This was a really solid episode where everyone was involved in the main plot without feeling forced. 

• Love 2

PC Principal is still an ass but seemed more subdued in this episode.  He didn't beat Garrison bloody after all. 

I like the continuity and the idea that the school and even the town is "under enemy control" with PC Principal and his ilk.

Edited by benteen