Type keyword(s) to search

South Park - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A lot of my friends at the time hated this episode when it first aired but I really enjoyed it and still do, so abusrdly amusing. I also loved the Pip episode and that's not very popular either. I wish they'd do more stuff like that.

While we're waiting for the eighteenth season (slated for September 24), I figure we could talk about the first seventeen here.

Here's a starting point: What is your favorite musical number in the show's history? Right now, "Butterballs" is airing on Comedy Central, so I have to throw out "Jackin' It In San Diego." Funny, smart, and takes the pain away from Butters getting "Gummi Beared" half to death by his grandmother.

While we're waiting for the eighteenth season (slated for September 24), I figure we could talk about the first seventeen here.

Here's a starting point: What is your favorite musical number in the show's history? Right now, "Butterballs" is airing on Comedy Central, so I have to throw out "Jackin' It In San Diego." Funny, smart, and takes the pain away from Butters getting "Gummi Beared" half to death by his grandmother.

To me, it will always, always be the "Water Helen, WAAAAAA-TER!" song from Helen Keller: The Musical!  I'm laughing just thinking about it.

• Love 1

To me, it will always, always be the "Water Helen, WAAAAAA-TER!" song from Helen Keller: The Musical!  I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Almost any time someone mentions water, the song pops in my head.  Hell, I sang it last night while my partner gave our son a bath!

Heads up: Comedy Central is currently running alien-themed episodes right now, since they just aired Men In Black. There's "Cancelled," "Pinewood Derby," "Free Willzyx," and even "Cartman Gets An Anal Probe." The block runs through 1:25 a.m.

I figured that we need a general speculation thread, what with the new season kicking off this Wednesday. I know that I'll be checking the show's site for information on episodes every week.

Obvious question: how will Matt & Trey start the season? With ISIS? Scottish independence movement? Roger Goodell and the NFL? I don't think the last one would be in play; the NFL was spoofed in "Sarcastaball."

ETA: The NFL it is in "Go Fund Yourself." Looks like I was wrong in thinking the NFL wasn't the gift that keeps on giving.

I would if they are going to do the uproar over the Michael Brown shooting.  They did sort of do the same with World War Zimmerman, but you never know...

I would love to see them reference Guardians of the Galaxy.  And more Game of Thrones references is always welcome.

"Furry Balls Plopped Menacingly on The Table, Inc." not quite as catchy as "CompuGlobal Hyper MegaNet." I like that the boys have finally adopted the Underpants Gnomes Business Model. Except "Collect Underpants > ? > Profit" has been replaced these days by "Start Up > Cash In > Sell Out > Bro Down."

I got a big kick out of how ISIS ended up embracing the Washington Redskins.

Using actual audio of Roger Goodell AND revealing he was a robot? I love you, South Park.

I loved this one, and I hope this sets a trend of greatness this season.

ETA: I loved how the boys were completely earnest & honest that their company was a complete scam. Can't get any more audacious than Cartman answering the phone with "Washington Redskins, Go Fuck Yourself" with that shit eating grin of his.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 1
Using actual audio of Roger Goodell AND revealing he was a robot? I love you, South Park.

Far and away the best and most cleber part of this episode. The rest was very uneven, disappointing, really. Once we saw the boys use the same excuses Snyder used to keep the name Washington Redskins, the episode didn't go anywhere. It needed more of a point, given the topic they chose to take on.

I'm still in awe that you can say "clitspasm" on cable TV.

In the previews RGIII was in the pic with Snyder and Gruden but in the episode they put Cousins in. They also said that Washington only lost by three which was just this past Sunday. I'm easily impressed, what can I say.

Man, I loved how the episode had everyone calling the boys out on last week's episode. Apparently Butters set fire to the gym?!

Heh, you get an actual pocket rocket from eating too much gluten. As weird and silly as that was, I laughed every time that happened.

This was a pretty okay episode. If the title didn't give it away, I never would've realized that the whole panic over gluten mirrored what's happening with Ebola in Africa.

Mediocre episode, although I loved that they actually followed up on last week's events. I'm hoping they keep up the semi-serialization for the season. And I think they might, since that business with Butters not being allowed back in school didn't really receive any follow-up in this episode.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if I'm ready for continuity. I can believe that the boys alienated others in going into business for themselves. Now, Butters burning down the gym? That had to have been Cartman. Butters isn't really that evil, even in Professor Chaos mode.

Anybody else in the mood for Papa John's? I guess I'm good with gluten, side effects and all. I haven't used Aunt Jemina in a while, though. Nice touch to riff off The Stand.

ETA: Anybody else laugh when the dick that flew off the USDA guy's body smacked a random guy in the face before flying off? Also funny: Cartman is listed as "Fatass" on Kyle's phone.

• Love 1

I guess I missed the point of this ep b/c I don't imagine Parker and Stone giving a damn about the political incorrectness of the Washington Redskins' name and this ep juxt didn't seem to go anywhere. Were they mocking the laziness of Kickstarter or the fickleness of public opinion?

The continuity from last week was a pleasant surprise, and I think that's what made this episode.  Had to laugh at Wendy recounting how Stan said he'd be "dripping in bitches" and Butters burning down the school -- did he really?  That's the sort of thing I'd expect from Cartman, although it's understandable that even Butters would have a breaking point because of how much crap he takes.  Hate to think what his parents are doing to him.

Cartman freaking out to Kyle over the phone was gold

So I take it Trey and Matt had a bad experience at Papa Johns as well as PF Changs?

Who eats at Papa Johns anyway?

I liked the serial nature of these 2 episodes and how the whole gang was called out for being assholes. Wendy wasn't taking any shit either. "Fatass" with a pic of Cartman flipping the bird was a great sight gag.

I didn't know the title of the episode but I was catching on soon enough and thought it was pretty funny. It seems like everyone is allergic to gluten now.

• Love 1
Ubiquitous, I thought they absolutely were mocking Snyder's position (which he stated to ESPN in August) that the Washington team name honors and respects Native Americans. (When that very group states that the name does not honor them, then it's a flimsy position for Snyder to take, and Parker and Stone were calling that out.) Then they mocked Kickstarter for skimming off the top of other people's business ideas and mocked the scammers who use Kickstarter without providing anything of value. Then, they mocked Apple for overselling minor improvements to their products as though they were revolutions ("We moved the couch from the right side of the room to the left.") And then, they mocked organizations that take a moral stand but yield to complacency and inertia and allow terrible things to happen (the Catholic Church and the NFL). If there were an overarching point to all of this, I would say that it was that laziness/ complacency is directly correlated to moral corruption. I thought it was a really sharp satire.
  • Love 1

I'm really enjoying this season a ton. I really got a kick out of Stan just trying to ask Randy who at work know Lorde, and Randy turning it into an over-dramatic separation scene right out of the movies. It reminded me of "Ladder to Heaven" when the boys just wanted their candy ticket, and the adults turned it into an elaborate meditation on death.

I laughed and laughed when Mr Mackey went into his long diatribe about how he'd eaten breakfast because he couldn't eat gluten - I swear, I have heard co-workers say that same thing word for word.  And when that happens, I quite often look like Mr. Garrison did in the episode.

• Love 1

Perfect Cartman logic: Claim he's a CIS to use "the girl's shitter." And the only way he becomes "transginger" is only putting a bow in his hair. Man, it really seems like Cartman's dream come true with his own bathroom (with a silhouette of himself as "Other." Loved that), and why am I not surprised that he treats his own private toilet like a BDSM sub?

We have a callback to last week: "Lorde's" appearance at the party prompts some hard-hitting journalism from Spin magazine. Randy IS Lorde, I thought that was a great reveal. For some reason I love that "Lorde" still works as a geologist, and that Randy's co-workers don't see through the disguise. I thought that the plots dovetailing like they did was really clever. Also, I want that Lorde poster.

Also, callback to gluten-free PBR, and that the gym is still messed up.

Oh, and Butters is back in school, still awkwardly using the urinal.

ETA: I bet this isn't the last we'll see of Randy's hoard of money, with all this continuity going around.

Edited by Galileo908

I liked Garrison saying at the beginning, "Trust me, you don't want this hot potato."

I'll be awfully curious about what kind of response this episode gets. It seemed like they were trying to be somewhat delicate in how they were addressing all the transgender stuff, but I suspect there will still be a lot of blowback.

Edited by alynch

Best episode of the season so far and I love that they are seemingly linking all the episodes together this season.  Even if they glossed over Butters burning down the gym.  Both of the storylines were a lot of fun, with Classic Cartman and Randy being Lorde (who I admit I never heard of until last week's episode).

Parts of the episode felt week. Nice to see Wendy try to outwit Cartman again, but I wasn't too impressed. I did like Sheila's pep talk to "Lorde" . . . but I don't get why Lorde had to be spoofed. It wasn't as cruel as what the show did to Britney Spears . . . but what was the point? That a 17-year-old can't be that talented a songwriter? Maybe it's the absurdity that's I'm supposed to dig, but I'm not.

I will say the continuity is growing on me. Now I'm wondering what loose ends from this week will spill into the next episode.

Randy showing Stan how he autotunes himself into being Lorde and Stan passing out had me LOLing.

Wow, Sharon's speech was great!

I love how resigned the teachers were having to deal with Cartman and Garrison they're just going to have to give in this time.

I almost thought Cartman was going to pull a gun out at the beginning.  And then it turned out to be a bow.  Hee.

I love how resigned the teachers were having to deal with Cartman and Garrison they're just going to have to give in this time.

Looks like they've taken a page from Craig's book.

Stan's reaction to Randy being Lorde was great.  And I did love Sharon's Spider-man 2-esque speech to Randy at the end.  I'm just glad Butters is back in school, though I'm sure his parents are going to torture him for some reason this season.

So I wonder if and how they are going to link this to next week's episode.

That was a really good episode. So "Randy" at the party was really Lourdes? And everyone thought so? That was great. I thought they were going for 

This was a pretty solid message though. There's so much with the labels nowadays; whatever you're comfortable as is what you are and if people have a problem with it, it's on them.

The posters of "Lourdes" were just Randy with an airbrushed mustache! lol.  

That a 17-year-old can't be that talented a songwriter?

Not to be a dick, but not really. I mean, how many have there been in the last 20 years? I thought that was the point of Sharon's monologue. Most pop music is just waving tits and ass around and kids are actually smart enough to be sick of it. Most teen pop stars don't actually write their own stuff and are just packaged and marketed. 

Ooh, making fun of Uber tonight.

Loved seeing the Nathan and Mimsy from "Crippled Summer" again. Until, yeah, Nathan thought the experience with the shark was bad. Didn't need to see that one. Heh, Mimsy has somewhat of a brain in him.

LOVE that the race between Timmy and Nathan turned into a classic Wacky Race (with a little bit of Crazy Taxi tossed in), complete with a parody of the title sequence and Dick Dastardly & Muttley. That took me back.

I liked that Timmy had a teddy bear in a wheelchair.

Seems that the running thread this season is Randy as Lorde. (EDIT: I hope we find out where that wormhole took Matthew McConaughey)

Edited by Galileo908