Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Chapter Twenty: The Mephisto Waltz

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I liked when Sabrina asked Lilith why she did the Dark Lord's bidding because I felt like she was truly trying to understand. Lilith was surprisingly candid. But I didn't like that when Lilith said that it was all she had ever known, Sabrina accused her of being weak. Let's not victim blame anyone who's been in an abusive relationship, Sabrina. And this isn't just your average run of the mill abusive relationship either - it's with an all powerful (fake) god. How would Lilith ever escape him when he could find her anywhere?

Yeah, I loved that scene until the victim blaming. I mean, really, who was Lilith going to talk to when Satan first showed up? Her BFF? She didn't have one. There was only one other person in existence and she couldn't go back to where he was. She didn't understand lies and deception because those were things Satan brought to the world. It's easy for Sabrina with her strong support system, friends, family, people who raised her and taught her and told her she was worth more. Who did Lilith have? 

What I love most is that I do think Sabrina is slowly becoming that support system for Lilith. She's showing Lilith there could be another way. At least I hope that's where they end up going. 

• Love 3

First of all, a thousand points to whoever added the "not today, Satan" line. Second of all, apparently Satan is a big fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Go figure. 

I thought this was a pretty solid batch of episodes, if a bit disjointed. Sabrina being the herald of Satan was a pretty awesome turn, and I am really interested in seeing where they go from here. And where does the Church of Night go, now that they've pretty definitively broken up with Satan? Remake it into the Church of Lilith? I mean, I can totally get into that, it just means they have to take down their Satan paintings and put up new ones of Lilith! 

The coven might have worshiped Satan, but I can see why "Satan rises and enslaves all witches and mortals" wouldn't sound like something they would want to get behind.

I came to really like Nick, even with him deceiving Sabrina, so I hope they can get him out of Hell soon. He is clearly way too hot for that...pun intended. 

I am totally hoping to see the Adventure of Ambrose and Prudence Hunting Blackwood. 

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, Samwise979 said:

I don't really know where to put this question but I guess I'll put it here since the show ended with Ambrose and Prudence going on the hunt for Blackwood. When was Ambrose's punishment lifted?? I know Blackwood made Ambrose his ... assistant (?) so as to allow Ambrose to leave the house to go to the academy and other school related functions but I thought besides that he was still on house arrest. Did I miss something?

Blackwood lifted his punishment last season and once Blackwood made him Top Boy at the Academy, Ambrose was more or less freed from his former punishment. I actually think Blackwood did it all to keep a Spellman in line and Ambrose was the perfect patsy in the murder of the unhopy Pope Ray Wise. 

I think this part of the season started a bit rocky and aimless; however, once the main plot came along the last few of eps, it was entertaining and fun. The writers set up a lot of good storylines for everyone including the coven, the Academy, the witch's counsel, and a lot more. I liked that this season had less demons overall. They also weaved in the mortals a little better at the end there. I really liked Nick/Sabrina; they have a lot of chemistry and the actor did play his duplicity while actually being sweet on Sabrina.

Sabrina is hilariously arrogant. I adore Kiernan Shipka and her acting and charm are the main reasons I wasn't constantly yelling at Sabrina's headstrong plans and schemes. I enjoyed the dark powerful Sabrina and the mandrake one.

I think they have set up some good storylines for the next season so I'm still in.

• Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, Samwise979 said:

I don't really know where to put this question but I guess I'll put it here since the show ended with Ambrose and Prudence going on the hunt for Blackwood. When was Ambrose's punishment lifted?? I know Blackwood made Ambrose his ... assistant (?) so as to allow Ambrose to leave the house to go to the academy and other school related functions but I thought besides that he was still on house arrest. Did I miss something?

I assume if the church of night was decimated and Zelda is now running the coven that there is no one left to enforce the house arrest.     In this universe it was the church and not the witches council that sentenced him. 

24 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I assume if the church of night was decimated and Zelda is now running the coven that there is no one left to enforce the house arrest.     In this universe it was the church and not the witches council that sentenced him. 

Ahhh that makes sense. Thank you!

Well, now I've finished, and I remain disappointed in part 2. There were good ideas in there but the execution was really bad. Was this half rushed? It felt like they had no time to figure out the overall pacing, so everything got crammed into the end. 

The show needs to lean into the camp next year to deal with the fact that they have no internal logic in worldbuilding or characterization. 

I continue to hate Harvey, Roz, and Theo's presence in the show. The writing has to be so contrived to justify their continued existence. Yes, I'm sure Roz's self-taught witch-curse-given psychic power could let her see the locks to the Gates of Hell at all, and it definitely wouldn't drive her insane or otherwise seriously harm her. I'm sure the demon that grabbed Theo would have done so ineffectively instead of vaporizing Theo at touch, and of course, the lock to the Gates of Hell would conveniently be a sigil that can be drawn on paper by someone with no magical ability at all. And definitely it would be hot enough to cinematically cause discomfort and sweat but not so hot that it would burn up the paper or burn Roz's hand when she touched the Gates (much less, burn up Harvey, Roz, and Theo!)

I know Ambrose was always intended to be pansexual, but I am a bit disturbed that Luke was savagely murdered and now Ambrose is apparently hooked up with Prudence. I guess it's unclear how significant of a relationship that will be, and they'll presumably be a very open relationship even if significant, so he could still get a boyfriend. But it's all just a little too tropey.

I wish all the characters had done more to earn their victories. Sabrina had some active moments but none of her active moments ever ended up meaning anything. Mostly, she was Lilith's manipulated puppet. Even at the end, Lilith and Nicholas saved them all while Sabrina's plan failed. Zelda gets a high priestess position because she's the healthiest one in the coven alive at the end after Lilith topples everything.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

the lock to the Gates of Hell would conveniently be a sigil that can be drawn on paper by someone with no magical ability at all.

My beef was the sigils were barely holding the Gates of Hell closed, why would you sit there and watch to see if they would hold, keep drawing sigils you MF, it is not like the world is at stake.

Edited by AnimeMania
spelling
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

Even at the end, Lilith and Nicholas saved them all while Sabrina's plan failed. Zelda gets a high priestess position because she's the healthiest one in the coven alive at the end after Lilith topples everything.

I actually like that Sabrina wasn't the big hero in the end. She hasn't earned it yet and it would feel extremely contrived if she managed to single handedly save the day when a far more advanced wizard and a millenniums old demon were there. I was afraid they were going to have everyone sitting around with their thumbs up their arses while the Great and Powerful Sabrina saved them all. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

Just caught up. What a weird little show. 

The finale made me realize I was perfectly fine without The Doors in my life. Like, I'm good, don't ever need to hear "The End" again.

• Love 1

You don’t form a religion around someone and then throw it all away the moment the figure of adoration appears and begins behaving exactly as he always promised.

Satan would not be that weak and they should in no way be able to trap him. He is the source of their power. This isn’t some touchy feely earth based witchcraft. It is dark, cannibalistic, evil magic, witchcraft. The “Dark Lord” would suffer no such indignities. Pluckiness doesn’t overcome true power.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2019 at 7:34 AM, AnimeMania said:

One thing that happened between the first and second season was a complaint by some group (won't bother to look it up) that the Witch Academy statue of Satan looked too much like a statue that they had. It might be why the statue was destroyed this season and an even uglier one erected in its place.

An atheist group made the statue to get Biblical stuff out of statehouses.  And it worked. (Funded would go mental seeing that statue).  They didn't like it being looked at as evil. They sued,  and now get mentioned in the credits. It was replaced in the show by a Blackwood statue. Who knows what's next? 

The religion in this show confuses me.  They have Satan being evil,  but the witches don't want to be bad,  So  why were they worshipping him in the first place?  I hope instead they move toward a more pagan outlook,  more matriarchal too,  but they've already established biblical lore as "real",  so I don't know. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Andromeda said:

The religion in this show confuses me.  They have Satan being evil,  but the witches don't want to be bad, 

Tell me about it! I mean, they forking eat people! And not in a "we have no other food and are stranded and going to starve if we don't eat this person who died already" but in a "hey, we're going to kill and eat you but it's an honor so just go with it" kind of way. It doesn't get much darker than killing someone and eating them. Usually we call those people crazed serial killers. 

So, it's about a group of psychotic serial killers who worship the devil but get all reluctant when they find out he's not so nice? Ok, it was mostly because he was going to enslave them, but they were already kind of his slaves so WTF?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 4:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know I'm supposed to root for Sabrina and the Spellmans which means against the Dark Lord's plan coming to fruition, but part of me kind of wanted Sabrina to become the Dark Lord's queen just because it was clearly chapping Blackwood's hide to even think about bowing to Sabrina and I would have enjoyed watching him swallow his anger and disgust every time he had to obey her.

That idea charmed me as well.  But I'm consoled by the idea of Blackwood having to deal with the reality of the Church of Lilith and her high priestesses.  Also, I spent most of this back 9 coming to terms with the fact that Lilith was the only character I truly hoped would get a win.

I liked Nick and Sabrina with Nick. But ...um... Gurl, your boyfriend is Satan's prison.  Maybe leave him where he's at, yeah? Don't pull a Winchester and fuck up a season finale apocalypse averting sacrifice with your selfish desired to get your boy back.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 4/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Heh, well, now I see why Lilith was so hung up on the Dark Lord even though he acted like a bag of dicks all the time. DAT ASS! Between his cockiness and wearing a jacket without a shirt underneath, he was giving me a bit of a Damon Salvatore vibe. 

Luke Cook's body is a work of beauty. Hot damn. (Of course he's Australian. I'm convinced Australia and Texas are the lands of beautiful men.)

I really hope they bring him back. In any event, I hope this opens up more roles for him- the guy really knew how to command a scene.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Luke Cook's body is a work of beauty. Hot damn. (Of course he's Australian. I'm convinced Australia and Texas are the lands of beautiful men.)

I really hope they bring him back. In any event, I hope this opens up more roles for him- the guy really knew how to command a scene.

Hot ass aside, I thought he did a good job being charming and menacing so I wouldn't say no to him escaping Nick's body so we can see him again!

• Love 1
On 5/1/2019 at 3:24 AM, methodwriter85 said:

(Of course he's Australian. I'm convinced Australia and Texas are the lands of beautiful men.)

What is it about those places? Is there some desert predator I've never heard of that only kills homely guys and leaves the ones that look like underwear models or GI recruitment posters safe to pass on their genes to the next generation?

• Love 5

I enjoyed the season overall, although despite the fast pace it still somehow felt like it was spinning its wheels for much of it, and people's personalities and motivations changed episode to episode. Sabrina's expelled! No, just kidding, she's back in. Prudence is on Sabrina's side! No, wait, she's on her father's side. No, she's on Sabrina's side again! Harvey still loves Sabrina! No, he actually loves Roz! Theo desperately wants to look more like a cis male, to the point where he'd hack off an arm! No, actually, he's perfectly content in his current body! Make up your mind, show.

I also cannot stand how often the characters say each other's names. Once I started noticing it, I couldn't ignore it. Even when only two people are in a room, they say each other's names every second sentence. Kiernan also does this weird pause most of the time right before she says a name. It drives me nuts.

Actual dialogue from this ep:

"Sabrina, they're mortal." 
"Don't forget, Nick, so am I."

"See what I see, Harvey."
"Roz."
"Harvey, see what I see."
"Roz, what's going on?"
"Keep drawin', Harvey. Just keep drawin'."

The entire season was like that.

The last two episodes pulled everything together, though. I liked Sabrina finally realizing she was a pawn in Lilith's game, I enjoyed Mandrake Sabrina causing trouble, and I liked the show finally changing things up  by trapping the Dark Lord, returning the real Wardwell, and putting Zelda in charge of the remaining coven members.

• Love 1

IMO, too simple resolution. Lucifer did not pose any sort of a threat for all his glory yadda-yadda-yadda. And the end "let's save my boyfriend from Hell" also made me roll my eyes in my mind. Started good, but ended flat. Still, way better than Legacies.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, Cranberry said:

I also cannot stand how often the characters say each other's names. Once I started noticing it, I couldn't ignore it. Even when only two people are in a room, they say each other's names every second sentence. Kiernan also does this weird pause most of the time right before she says a name. It drives me nuts

"Roz."
"Roz, what's going on?"

It's not just this show. Almost every other show has this weird habit. I don"t get it. It makes dialogues very unnatural.And I laugh everytime someone makes the pause "Whad do you do /long pause/ ...Sabrina?"

• Love 1
On 7/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, Cranberry said:

I also cannot stand how often the characters say each other's names. Once I started noticing it, I couldn't ignore it. Even when only two people are in a room, they say each other's names every second sentence. Kiernan also does this weird pause most of the time right before she says a name. It drives me nuts.

"Roz."
"Roz, what's going on?"

This happens because the show takes some cues from the '60's.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:22 AM, Zuleikha said:

Well, now I've finished, and I remain disappointed in part 2. There were good ideas in there but the execution was really bad. Was this half rushed? It felt like they had no time to figure out the overall pacing, so everything got crammed into the end. 

The show needs to lean into the camp next year to deal with the fact that they have no internal logic in worldbuilding or characterization. 

I continue to hate Harvey, Roz, and Theo's presence in the show. The writing has to be so contrived to justify their continued existence. Yes, I'm sure Roz's self-taught witch-curse-given psychic power could let her see the locks to the Gates of Hell at all, and it definitely wouldn't drive her insane or otherwise seriously harm her. I'm sure the demon that grabbed Theo would have done so ineffectively instead of vaporizing Theo at touch, and of course, the lock to the Gates of Hell would conveniently be a sigil that can be drawn on paper by someone with no magical ability at all. And definitely it would be hot enough to cinematically cause discomfort and sweat but not so hot that it would burn up the paper or burn Roz's hand when she touched the Gates (much less, burn up Harvey, Roz, and Theo!)

I know Ambrose was always intended to be pansexual, but I am a bit disturbed that Luke was savagely murdered and now Ambrose is apparently hooked up with Prudence. I guess it's unclear how significant of a relationship that will be, and they'll presumably be a very open relationship even if significant, so he could still get a boyfriend. But it's all just a little too tropey.

I wish all the characters had done more to earn their victories. Sabrina had some active moments but none of her active moments ever ended up meaning anything. Mostly, she was Lilith's manipulated puppet. Even at the end, Lilith and Nicholas saved them all while Sabrina's plan failed. Zelda gets a high priestess position because she's the healthiest one in the coven alive at the end after Lilith topples everything.

I want to like this 100 times.

Prudence and A are hunting Father B. How is he on the run with 2 small babies? How far can he go? I mean seriously.

Toz, Theo and Harvey are useless in the show. 

Amount of witches that are killed there won’t be anyone left. 

Show is pretty bad. I’m hate watching it. 

Sabrina is a twin?! 

(edited)

I enjoyed it but yes the singing and crown was ridiculous.

Kept expecting Lilith to turn on them.

Wardwell is her favourite teacher but Sabrina is clueless when she undergoes a complete personality transplant? Is she that stupid, unobservant, and self centered? Rhetorical.

Sabrina and I'm sorry but also KS are the worst parts of the show.

And last but certainly not least- her name is SABrina. NOT Brina.

ETA love Prudence.

Edited by cleo