Type keyword(s) to search

Anticipation for Cowboy Bebop (2021)

• Start Topic

I'm looking forward to it.  Spaceships are always welcome on my television.  The leaks about the pilot script make it sound like a pretty faithful adaptation, so basically it's going to come down to casting.  For me, that's what will make it or break it.  

Anime is not my thing though.  I was a Firefly fan, so I only watched CB because of that connection. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I'm looking forward to it.  Spaceships are always welcome on my television.  The leaks about the pilot script make it sound like a pretty faithful adaptation, so basically it's going to come down to casting.  For me, that's what will make it or break it.  

Anime is not my thing though.  I was a Firefly fan, so I only watched CB because of that connection. 

And I watched Firefly because my daughter pitched it to me as live-action Cowboy Bebop!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, cyberfruit said:

It's too bad the old casting for a live action Bebop never got off the ground because Keanu Reeves would have been a perfect Spike.

He really wanted the role, too. Unfortunately, he's about 55 now and a bit old for Spike. I can hardly wait to see who they pull for this version. <sarcasm/

3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

He really wanted the role, too. Unfortunately, he's about 55 now and a bit old for Spike. I can hardly wait to see who they pull for this version. <sarcasm/

He doesn't really look it. It would have been great back in the day. Although, John Wick is a fair trade, since I'd probably have ended up being disappointed in the movie.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, Valerie said:

They NEED to bring in Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts to do all the music for the soundtrack.

This is key!  The music was as much a character in the show as anyone.

While I loathe the whole idea for so many reasons, chief among them that imho no one can live up to Steven Blum's Spike, I do admit to thinking of a whole new audience being introduced to Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts as the only positive in a horrible idea.  

(edited)

I'm intrigued

Jet, Faye and Vicious have been cast, no word on Ed

The show has also cast Mustafa Shakir (Marvel’s Luke Cage) as the aforementioned Jet, as well as Daniella Pineda (The Detour) as the bold bounty hunter Faye Valentine and Alex Hassell (the UK’s Bonkers) as Spike’s nemesis, Vicious.

Christopher Yost (Thor: Ragnarok) will write Cowboy Bebop‘s first episode, while Alex Garcia Lopez (Marvel’s Daredevil) will direct the first two installments. Shinichiro Watanabe, who directed the original anime, will serve as a consultant on the live-action version

Edited by Morrigan2575
8 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Edward and Einstein were the best! I'd hate to see them left off the series

I think Ed would be problematic. She was mostly comic relief, and it seemed obvious she had some degree of autism. I'm not sure if that could be played for laughs in live action.

Ein? No problem. Find a cute Corgi that can look like he's okay with the drama of the humans. Bang. Done.

An important actor visits the set.

I'm thinking if there's an Ed here, she'd have to be CGI because her canon self would be too unique for an actress to play. Then again, I thought the same about Molly while reading Runaways.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I'd completely forgotten about this show, tbh.  Since NZ is opening up for filming again, maybe we'll actually get it later this year or early next. 

It's interesting that they are already working on Season 2. 

(edited)

That was unexpected. And awesome. I never figured Honest Trailers would cover anime AND that they wouldn’t make it hard to find like they did with Honest Trailers Anime.

Edited by Lantern7

Amazon’s ‘The Lord Of The Rings’ Resumes Production In New Zealand, Netflix’s ‘Cowboy Bebop’ Next

Production on Netflix’s Cowboy Bebop is slated to restart on Wednesday, Sept. 30, in New Zealand.

Cowboy Bebop, an adaptation of the cult Japanese animated series, was a couple of episodes into shooting its first season last fall when it went on a 7-9-month hiatus following a knee injury sustained by lead John Cho on the set of the show in New Zealand.

The space western hails from Tomorrow Studios, Marty Adelstein’s joint venture with ITV Studios; Midnight Radio (Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec, Jeff Pinkner & Scott Rosenberg); writer Chris Yost; and Sunrise, the studio behind the original series. Cowboy Bebop tells the jazz-inspired, genre-bending story of Spike Spiegel (Cho), an impossibly cool “cowboy” (bounty hunter) with a deadly smile, a wry wit and style to spare, and his ragtag crew of bounty hunters on the run from their pasts as they hunt down the solar system’s most dangerous criminals.

• Useful 1

‘Cowboy Bebop’: Six Cast In Netflix Live-Action Remake Of Cult Anime TV Series

Cowboy Bebop - Geoff Stults, Tamara Tunie, Rachel House and More Join Cast

Geoff-Stults-Tamara-Tunie-Mason-Alexande

-Geoff Stults as Chalmers, Jet’s ex-partner

-Tamara Tunie as Ana, Martian club owner

-Mason Alexander Park as Gren, Ana’s right hand person

-Rachel House as Mao, White Tigers Capo

-Ann Truong and Hoa Xuande as Shin & Lin, Vicious’s twin henchmen

Edited by AnimeMania
On 6/3/2020 at 4:24 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-netflixs-cowboy-bebop-captures-the-spirit-and-style-1843569876

Still no mention of Ed...they even confirmed Ein but, no mention of Ed. It's very weird

At this point I'm assuming Ed's not going to be in this, or the role will amount to a cameo. Maybe someone thinks a teen never should have been part of the story, or doesn't fit the story they're going to tell.