Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E18: The Laureate Accumulation

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

One person's insult is another person's "poking fun at," which some enjoy, I guess because they like to be part of making others laugh. At least, that's how it works for me.

My husband is an engineer and he gets a kick out of Sheldon and the way he sneers at "the Oompa Loompas of science".    I guess it's a bit like being Canadian and laughing when a show makes a reference to Canada, eh.  It's just nice to be noticed 🙂 .

• Love 3
On 4/10/2019 at 10:41 AM, shapeshifter said:

One person's insult is another person's "poking fun at," which some enjoy, I guess because they like to be part of making others laugh. At least, that's how it works for me.

I think one of the best recurring roles was by Prof. Stephen Hawking.  While bringing attention to his field of study, he also allowed them to have the running joke of him being a sore loser.  It was great because most people hold him in the highest regard, and to see the human side of him with something as simple as being "a big baby" (Howard said that) about losing made him more relatable.  

If the show stuck with just the academic side to everything it probably wouldn't have been as relatable to a lot of people, but you throw in some highly acclaimed scientists and Sci. Fi stars and give them some funny quirks, then you've got a great comedy!  I've never seen the show as making fun of any group of people, but rather a way to showcase these really great-minded people with a dose of humor.   Wil Wheaton being a bit of a jerk to start with was unexpected and hilarious at the same time!  

• Love 7

I didn't understand the whole plot about Howard and the book. Just because he and his wife do a children's book about an astronaut who is afraid doesn't mean it is a confession by Howard. It would be easy to say that he and Bernie wrote it, using his experience as an astronaut, as a way to help kids deal with fear, now that they are parents. 

• Love 3

My favourite plot of the week was Howard telling his story to Hayley because they avoided the cliché of having him say something thoughtless/secret that Bernadette overhears and hilarity ensues (...in theory). So having it actually be something touching was a surprise. Yes, Bernadette should have told Howard what she was doing (even in sitcom land, it should take more than a couple of days to get a book published!), but also, the obvious solution to Howard not liking the way he was presented was to have the story say, "but even though he was frightened, he didn't give up... and that makes him the bravest little astronaut of all!" Children learn an important life lesson and Howard gets to be a hero - it would even be true (for the most part).

Why was Prof Siebert(sp?) putting Sheldon out there to meet people? He knows he grates on... pretty much everyone, so send Amy (who is also at his University) who is much better at schmoozing. OK, she had her (justified) meltdown, so it might not have worked out so well, but she does usually keep Sheldon from saying anything especially insulting.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:47 PM, Gummo said:

the closest parallel I can think of offhand is Where's My Cow?, a children's book repeatedly mentioned in Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, actually getting published as a standalone book of its own

I'll never forget Sam Vimes going, "THAT'S! NOT! MY COW!" to face down some eldritch abomination (It makes sense in a Universe that runs on Narrativium).

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, John Potts said:

but also, the obvious solution to Howard not liking the way he was presented was to have the story say, "but even though he was frightened, he didn't give up... and that makes him the bravest little astronaut of all!" Children learn an important life lesson and

Okay.
If it doesn't get published, I'll do it.
I was commissioned a year ago to illustrate a children's book, did 26 sketches a several complete illustrations, and haven't heard anything in months. 

grumpy.jpg

• Love 6

Sheldon was forced, forced to close her mouth, so Amy, instead of him, expressed everything that was in her heart.
And yes, it turned out cool that so many Nobel laureates were invited to TV series. Well done, they agreed to come. An excellent symbiosis of show and science!😉
And the comic about Howard dear turned out. It would be nice if because of him popularity came to Stewart and he became rich on stories about a friend. A girl appeared to him, now let him get lucky with his work!

• Love 2