Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E18: No Such Thing As Bad Luck

• Start Topic

Severide gets angry at Cruz when he feels his orders were disobeyed in the field; Boden reconnects with an old high school friend during a call to a house fire. Herrmann has issues when one of his favorite knick-knacks from Molly's goes missing.

(edited)

Cruz gets a commendation for that mediocre job? Too bad Voight didn't see him looking like a buffoon trying to hide in the dark and getting caught twice.

A few weeks ago Severide couldn't function/live/breathe without Cruz. Now he had to put "Mr. Strutting his Ass" in check/bring him down a peg.  A nice ending at the ceremony with those two.

After Hermann's recent home problems, Chief should not seek his advice on parenting issues.

Is Chief Boden stupid? When he mentioned Donna to Jasmine he couldn't see that eye roll and look of disgust on her face?

What did that guy do to cause the floor grate to collapse. 100 jumping jacks?

Stella must be the biggest moron by believing in curses, leaving the mug on the sofa in a spot where the laziest man in the station always plants his butt and she's out $100.00 for nothing. 

After Chief's speech, that kid's life will change and he will be the future mayor of Chicago!

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Severide to Cruz "I've taught you a lot over the years."  Who says something like that, particularly when giving them a medal.  Bizarre comment.

Edited by Brookside
Severide, not Boden. Thanks fellow posters!
  • Love 2

At least we got a cameo from the Slammigan.  But Severide was right.  Those security windows are usually in there bombproof, and prying with a bar isn't going to dislodge them.

Yeah, the IRS always mails out tax notices to the wrong address.

At least Chief Boden really was in peril tonight.

Why did the female firefighter run off during the line dance demo there?  Was that ever explained?

The look between Stella and her in Molly's when she suggested they go out somewhere else.  Hmmm.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

Boden to Cruz "I've taught you a lot over the years."  Who says something like that, particularly when giving them a medal.  Bizarre comment.

It was Severide not Boden. Kelly's ego had to come out! He had to make sure the crowd knew he was responsible for Cruz' success. Must get a piece of the spotlight.

4 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

At least Chief Boden really was in peril tonight.

Why did the female firefighter run off during the line dance demo there?  Was that ever explained?

The look between Stella and her in Molly's when she suggested they go out somewhere else.  Hmmm.

On this show, if you are not a part of perfect 51, you are going to make a mistake. The IRS is the latest example.

Boden's biggest problem was his marriage/parenting and he learnedhe can't win/Donna gets her way. That gun to his face was nothing.

Stella left because she had Kelly on her mind and couldn't concentrate after Foster brought up their relationship. She didn't listen to a word Brett was saying.  Weird they introduced line dancing and didn't pay it off at the end. Maybe the writers forgot.

I can see a "very special episode" for Stella and Foster with them using many "paint brushes and a lot of colors".

I was surprised Casey and Kelly PI passed the case to Boden. I guess their plates were full of saving people.

That kid is so lucky! He tried to burn his mother and held a gun to her. And they still didn't call the cops on him.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Weird they introduced line dancing and didn't pay it off at the end. Maybe the writers forgot.

Like the awkward Cruz/Otis pep talk last week about cheering Brett up by filling her time and then that was the last of that. The writers have ADHD, I swear.

Boden's story could have been interesting if it had played out over a couple of weeks, but they have this frustrating tendency to rush though storylines when with a little more time and nuance you could actually care about the outcome. Unless his 'ex friend' starts stalking him over the coming episodes, what exactly is the point.

As far as Severide and Kidd are concerned, this was my biggest fear. Individually I like them as characters, together (or moping over each other) they suck all the oxygen out of the episode. Kidd was portrayed as this 'take no prisoners, strong, independent, I don't need a man to survive' character who is now a simpering idiot after being dazzled by Severide's magical sparkling wang.

Plot C was only slightly less stupid than last week. Why the hell would you knock back $100 for an ugly mug?The guy was leaving anyway, Stella deserved to be out $100 for her sheer stupidity. 

Edited by Guildford
Didn't like my flow.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5

This whole thing with the mug was dumb. Shouldn't Herrmann have asked his co-workers - namely Otis and Stella - if they knew where the mug went, before asking the cleaning crew? They were the last people to be there, after all. I thought for sure Herrmann was just messing with them because it made zero sense he jumped right to an assumption without asking either Stella or Otis about it first. When it turned out otherwise I realized this was the stupidest story ever and the writers should have been ashamed of themselves. He didn't even bother to ask them if they knew what became of it when he first approached them about it being missing. WTF. "Guys! The mug's gone! We're doomed!" No "hey, have either of you seen the mug?" first. {headsmack}

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

This whole thing with the mug was dumb. Shouldn't Herrmann have asked his co-workers - namely Otis and Stella - if they knew where the mug went, before asking the cleaning crew? They were the last people to be there, after all. I thought for sure Herrmann was just messing with them because it made zero sense he jumped right to an assumption without asking either Stella or Otis about it first. When it turned out otherwise I realized this was the stupidest story ever and the writers should have been ashamed of themselves. He didn't even bother to ask them if they knew what became of it when he first approached them about it being missing. WTF. "Guys! The mug's gone! We're doomed!" No "hey, have either of you seen the mug?" first. {headsmack}

Two weeks in a row for the Hermann family's stupidity.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I'm assuming it was delivered to the wrong address and Mrs. Herman didn't notice that it wasn't addressed to her husband or Molly's.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, Brookside said:

Boden to Cruz "I've taught you a lot over the years."  Who says something like that, particularly when giving them a medal.  Bizarre comment.

Gawd, thank you! It's akin to "I'm sorry if I offended you" non apology crap.

Except it was Severide to Cruz & crowd.

Edited by rhys
  • Love 2

I was also surprised there weren't more of Station 51 at the award ceremony. I only saw Brett in the audience. Was everyone else at Molly's? Way to show your support there guys.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was also surprised there weren't more of Station 51 at the award ceremony. I only saw Brett in the audience. Was everyone else at Molly's? Way to show your support there guys.

I assume that was because Cruz kept it quiet after Severide's dressing down, however Boden knew about it and should have organised them to turn up anyway. If they can bring out the whole crew to intimidate Foster's stalker, they can bring them out for something like this. 

• Love 6

So Cruz gets a medal for being the worst informant in the history of informants.  During this same undercover sting, Kelly couldn't function because his best firefighter was absent, but has no problem putting said firefighter back in his place because he didn't follow instructions.  Kelly's ego had to come out during the ceremony with his backhanded complement " I've taught you a lot over the years, but I've also learned a lot from you", BOY BYE. 

Poor Chief Boden has a 4 year old who's acting up, a wife who wins no matter what, and an ex girlfriend with a troubled son. Let's hope that her eye roll when he spoke about Donna is not a sign of things to come. Stella wins the idiot of the day award, for not only giving away that ugly mug, but paying $100 to get it back because Herman believes it brings him luck.  

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, spunky said:

So Cruz gets a medal for being the worst informant in the history of informants.  During this same undercover sting, Kelly couldn't function because his best firefighter was absent, but has no problem putting said firefighter back in his place because he didn't follow instructions.  Kelly's ego had to come out during the ceremony with his backhanded complement " I've taught you a lot over the years, but I've also learned a lot from you", BOY BYE. 

Poor Chief Boden has a 4 year old who's acting up, a wife who wins no matter what, and an ex girlfriend with a troubled son. Let's hope that her eye roll when he spoke about Donna is not a sign of things to come. Stella wins the idiot of the day award, for not only giving away that ugly mug, but paying $100 to get it back because Herman believes it brings him luck.  

I did get the vibe that maybe she was going to insinuate that the kids might be his...or maybe I was just hoping for a storyline that didn't involve the idiots at the firehouse or Boden being under attack from CFD

• Love 4
7 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm assuming it was delivered to the wrong address and Mrs. Herman didn't notice that it wasn't addressed to her husband or Molly's.

But why would business mail for a vegan restaurant near Molly's be sent to Hermann's house? Or is the owner of the vegan restaurant also coincidentally Hermann' neighbor?

• Love 1
On 4/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, rhys said:

Is it odd that Severide was minus his hat at the ceremony for Cruz?

I was not military but I commented at the time that Severide was out of uniform. I guess Perfect!51! can get away with that kind of thing.

Street/subway grates have been known to collapse. It’s happened a few times here in NYC and I think a woman was killed when she fell through. If you’ve ever walked over them you can sometimes feel them move under your feet. It’s pretty frightening, which is why I try to stay off them 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 8:14 AM, Guildford said:

Like the awkward Cruz/Otis pep talk last week about cheering Brett up by filling her time and then that was the last of that. The writers have ADHD, I swear.

Boden's story could have been interesting if it had played out over a couple of weeks, but they have this frustrating tendency to rush though storylines when with a little more time and nuance you could actually care about the outcome. Unless his 'ex friend' starts stalking him over the coming episodes, what exactly is the point.

As far as Severide and Kidd are concerned, this was my biggest fear. Individually I like them as characters, together (or moping over each other) they suck all the oxygen out of the episode. Kidd was portrayed as this 'take no prisoners, strong, independent, I don't need a man to survive' character who is now a simpering idiot after being dazzled by Severide's magical sparkling wang.

Plot C was only slightly less stupid than last week. Why the hell would you knock back $100 for an ugly mug?The guy was leaving anyway, Stella deserved to be out $100 for her sheer stupidity. 

Couldn't agree more. Another reason why I hate these inner-house, inner-unit relationships on these shows. All these do is take away from the story. Severide and Kidd are broken up, and they still take up screen time just having awkward talks and looks to one another, and Severide showing up at the bar every time she's there. When the focus was just on Stella, the firefighter, she was a strong woman that could hold her own with the guys. That's why I was so happy when she came on board, to take some of the focus away from Dawson. But now, all we seem to see is her vulnerability with her personal life instead of her skills firefighting. She actually let her oxygen run out instead of being relieved trying to save Severide, and was about the let Otis carry a victim alone so she could stay by Kelly's side when he was trapped. She let her feeling for Kelly override her decision-making as a firefighter and that just can't happen. The exception was when she stumbled upon that foster care scam. But even then, who'd she turn to help? Severide. I hope the writers make Stella her own woman again, instead of her constantly pining for Severide.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Love 7
On 4/4/2019 at 12:45 PM, iMonrey said:

This whole thing with the mug was dumb. 

Not to mention, if it was SO important to Hermann, wouldn't they have heard about its backstory prior to this time?

That said, Kidd and Otis had no business giving away someone else's belongings even if they thought it was a tag sale find that Hermann got for a nickel. Who does that??

• Love 3
On 4/7/2019 at 10:40 AM, Sake614 said:

Street/subway grates have been known to collapse. It’s happened a few times here in NYC and I think a woman was killed when she fell through. If you’ve ever walked over them you can sometimes feel them move under your feet. It’s pretty frightening, which is why I try to stay off them 

My wife is scared to death of them. I always laugh and walk on them in Chicago. She goes nuts. That episode was her worst nightmare. It looked like it collapsed under him, didn’t seem very realistic.