Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E14: AnnJeannette's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I watched the Supersized edition of her story. If she were any more boring, she'd be Nate and Jeremiah.

I've never seen even a minute of Nate and Jeremiah, but I feel I know what it feels like!  

What was the bonus scene?  I just wonder if I should watch it before I delete it off my DVR.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

What was the bonus scene?  I just wonder if I should watch it before I delete it off my DVR.

Go ahead and delete it. She went to some place where she could smash stuff with a baseball bat to get out all her aggression. Apparently there are such places now. It's a big, wide, wonderful world we live in.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4

I caught a few bits and pieces of it.  Her favorite holiday is the 4th of July, and she goes to an amusement park with her family to watch the fireworks.  She thought Lola was quite intelligent.  It definitely wasn't worth it to devote two hours of TV.

• Love 6
On 4/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, Azubah said:

Lola's instructions were confusing. Just rewatching it now. She tells AJ to talk with Erica about "short-term" goals. She doesn't specify relationship goals. Then later she says to compare goals and see if they're on the same page. I would have though "marriage and children" was more of a long-term goal. In light of the modifier "short-term", AJ's focus on her weight is more reasonable, IMO.

Well yes, but AJ neglected to tell Erica that she should make a list of short-term goals, saying only that they should be her own goals in a general sense. And, if they are each making a list of personal goals, whether long- or short-term, if their relationship is not the subject, then it's likely they would not be on the same page. For example, AJ's goals could be about her health, Erica's goals could be about her employment. So it would not necessarily be a good starting point for a discussion of their future as a couple.

Maybe because AJ waited so long to do this piece of homework from Lola, she forgot exactly how they were supposed to do it. [Also IMHO, AJ is not the brightest bulb in the package.]

• Love 5
On 4/10/2019 at 7:22 PM, Snarkastikate said:

Hey I don't really know, but wouldn't a more constructive way to handle the past wrongs done to these poundicipents be to tell them they can't let the past drag then down, gotta let it go, you can't control the behavior of others, don't empower the crappy parent and allow him/her to ruin your life,  be strong, etc?  

No, words will just roll off, like water off a duck's back. Deeply-rooted damage to the personality is a b!tch to heal, even given frequent sessions with a very good psychologist. There are often multiple layers of dysfunction and disordered thinking/feeling/response, which can run all the way down to the foundation of personality. Becoming aware of cause and effect is a useful first step, but is just that -- identification by itself doesn't effect change.

People who have learned to despise themselves have to turn that around and learn to love themselves before they can start to take and maintain healthy choices, which is a huge undertaking -- and there are no established tools with which to do it. People can do things like journaling and recording their dreams, but it can be like finding a needle in a haystack; groping around in the dark, trying to find your way out. If one is not highly motivated and able to sustain that motivation for a long time, years even, it can be easier to give up on yourself and forfeit any quality of life. Some of us are not strong enough to maintain this level of self-excavation while meeting the demands of daily life. But if you cannot fix yourself, I think it's better to stand alone and not take others down with you.

12 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Go ahead and delete it. She went to some place where she could smash stuff with a baseball bat to get out all her aggression. Apparently there are such places now. It's a big, wide, wonderful world we live in.

I would love to see that scene! 😄

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Watching supersized bonus scene...."I'm so thankful Erica is making this journey with me, but at the same time, she's not my family" Hmmmm ok, so she's just someone to dry your fat ass for you?

Duh, haven’t you heard? It’s the new trend! An environmentally friendly bidet!

• LOL 4
On 4/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, fonfereksglen said:

According to IMDB, his son hasn't been involved in the new  shows for the last few years.  He has been the Executive Producer for the WATN programs. What exactly he does as the EP, would be interesting to know, because every program has numerous levels of producers.

Personally, the additional hour is the problem, not the production standards. And that is probably on TLC, which is desperate for programming that people actually care about.  

One final thought, things often seem very haphazard because they are filming and editing almost to the date the program airs.  Some of the sudden endings are bizarre.

From what I was able to glean from the all seeing, all knowing internet ***ha ha***  he only stopped being the Executive Producer last year. The disgusting, seemingly mandatory, blurred but butt nekkid shower and getting dressed scenes were around for years under his supervision which TLC happily keeps as a part of these shows.

ITA about the extra hour, especially with the usually repetitive, mind numbing bs TLC is famous for.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2019 at 7:17 AM, AZChristian said:

But did you expect your helpers to give up their entire lives, jobs, etc., to cater to your every demand?  I think a lot of us get frustrated because the helpers seem to be giving up a lot, and - for the first part of pretty much EVERY episode - the poundicipant isn't even giving up excessive amounts of food.

It’s still weird to me that the person expected to give up their life and move, is frequently the main enabler. It seems like maybe it could be cost-effective for the enabler to remain employed if possible and hire a professional caregiver with the dough they save on 82 daily fast food meals. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Just getting a chance to watch.  I hate that I missed the live-chat, it was a good one (so snarkable)...

Random thoughts:

Grammar, AJ.  Grammar.

Dr. Now was in rare form this episode.  He told her off multiple times and fondled her hernia all in one episode.  😂

Dr. Now ACTUALLY canceled the surgery while she was in her hospital gown the morning of her surgery.  I didn't think he had it in him or that it would get past the editors.

Lola has the same wig (what is this, week 5? 10?), but pulled back.  The show must have had enough money in the budget to buy a scrunchie.  Not a conversation with dad again...new material, Lola! 😏

Someone is actually reading on this show.  Go Dad!

Erica lost weight with her for a while, then gained a significant amount for AJ's first post op scene.  I was surprised Dr. Now didn't call her out on her weightlossjourney.

Run, Erica, Run!  Save yourself...and take the dog!

Unfortunately, I don't see long-term success for AJ.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, umgoblue said:

Just getting a chance to watch.  I hate that I missed the live-chat, it was a good one (so snarkable)...

Random thoughts:

Grammar, AJ.  Grammar.

Dr. Now was in rare form this episode.  He told her off multiple times and fondled her hernia all in one episode.  😂

Dr. Now ACTUALLY canceled the surgery while she was in her hospital gown the morning of her surgery.  I didn't think he had it in him or that it would get past the editors.

Lola has the same wig (what is this, week 5? 10?), but pulled back.  The show must have had enough money in the budget to buy a scrunchie.  Not a conversation with dad again...new material, Lola! 😏

Someone is actually reading on this show.  Go Dad!

Erica lost weight with her for a while, then gained a significant amount for AJ's first post op scene.  I was surprised Dr. Now didn't call her out on her weightlossjourney.

Run, Erica, Run!  Save yourself...and take the dog!

Unfortunately, I don't see long-term success for AJ.

I laughed way (weigh) too much at this. I earned myself the gasoline soaked underwear for thinking she lost 100 lbs just in her head.

I like that Dr. Now is having no bullshit this season.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

There were two bonus scenes:  the first was her family eating giant sandwiches and crying before AJ moved to Houston and the other was her breaking stuff.  The first was entirely worthless, the second was mildly amusing.  Though I personally find the idea of breaking innocent items that did me no harm abhorrent and not therapeutic.  Anger should be directed at its source, not at what's conveniently nearby and cannot fight back!

• Love 2
On 4/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, JunkFoodTV said:

Watching supersized bonus scene...."I'm so thankful Erica is making this journey with me, but at the same time, she's not my family" Hmmmm ok, so she's just someone to dry your fat ass for you?

They're replaying the episode and the goals scene highlights this too. Her goals are 100% all about herself. She has no interest in any kind of joint life, she just needed someone to keep her fat rolls dry until she could get surgery. They probably wouldn't have lasted anyway but she's legit crazy, crying about how she was "devastated" in that goals scene when she basically set them both up for failure there. There's no reason they couldn't have come up with some joint goals that worked for them both, but that requires you to care about the other person in your relationship.

• Love 3
On 4/11/2019 at 10:14 PM, mmecorday said:

She went to some place where she could smash stuff with a baseball bat to get out all her aggression. Apparently there are such places now. It's a big, wide, wonderful world we live in.

I didn't see the supersized version because I barely could watch the regular sized one.   Didn't care much for either Erica or AJ.   I guess the puppy was okay.  

There are two of those axe throwing places in Houston.  I would like to see someone go to one of those.   I though Mr Twopper might want to try it, but he said he would just as soon go up to some land we have in the country and throw an axe at an old wooden shed.  ( nope, not a she shed)

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

Catching up on old episodes.

I echo a lot of others with thinking she was really awful to her girlfriend.  I know this show is heavily scripted and edited, but they made her look really selfish, even as she was screaming at her girlfriend that she was selfish.  That was kind of messed up.  The girlfriend could do better!

• Love 2

But in spite of the on camera breakup, supposedly Erica and Annjeannette were back together when the show aired.   

I'm hoping that after the show aired, that everyone involved in the Annjeannette/Erica relationship took a good look at what was shown, and changed things.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

But in spite of the on camera breakup, supposedly Erica and Annjeannette were back together when the show aired.   

Meh!  thanks for the info, though.   They are probably gaining weight together, too.

• Love 1

I'm watching the AnnJeannette rerun, and it's so bizarre.    She's in the Houston airport, wearing a black and white striped top, with a purple blanket with polka dots on it, and a camera crew following her, and she thinks her partner Erica is the reason people are staring?   And the poor airport employee pushing her wheelchair looks like he's going to collapse.   

• LOL 3

I think I've seen part of this before. I'm not sure i can watch it again tonight. Dr. Now cracked me up with his consult questions and comebacks. Lol 

Does anyone know if the body's of these super morbidly obese patients really hurt that much or the patient over exaggerates their discomfort. Why would it be so much more painful to sit on:the plane than to sit at home?

• Useful 1
49 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think I've seen part of this before. I'm not sure i can watch it again tonight. Dr. Now cracked me up with his consult questions and comebacks. Lol 

Does anyone know if the body's of these super morbidly obese patients really hurt that much or the patient over exaggerates their discomfort. Why would it be so much more painful to sit on:the plane than to sit at home?

Because at home, they can sit in a comfortable position, get up as needed, have extra room, etc. On the plane? They're virtually locked into an upright position with no extra room. Moving around is damn near impossible, so they're basically crammed into an uncomfortable pose for the entire flight. It's gotta be miserable. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, libgirl2 said:

I hope she can do it. I ended up not hating her at the end. I just wish her list would have included Erica. She is on FB however and said she is with Erica and that they did "creative" editing. Basically, don't believe everything you see. 

I just saw this episode - I ended up not hating her, and Erica was okay, but honestly my first thought after the "goals" conversation was that Erica might benefit from an hour with Lola - people whose goals really include marriage and children do not move to a new state to be in "relationship" with a housebound 600 pounder.  If they are happy now then I am happy for them.

• Love 3

This evening from 5-7 p.m. Central, they're rerunning this one.   I totally had Annjeannette mixed up with Maja.    Annjeannette is interesting in her episode too.    

So she goes to the hospital, and they weight her, and she's gained 15 lbs. and attempts to blame it on water weight?   I can believe her girlfriend Erica broke up with her, but then they went back together.   Annjeannette is blaming everyone but the one in the mirror for her issues.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

You have her confused with Jean, the one who lived in the trailer with her disturbed father, and her mother, and the father died while Jean and the mother were in Houston.      I confused Annjeannette with Maya, but finally realized I was very wrong.     Annjeannette was the one who had the polka dot blankets.     And got the cute little puppy when she was in Houston.     She's the one that broke up with her girlfriend/fiance after Lola said they should do lists of their priorities, and the priorities didn't match.   

• Love 1
(edited)

They're showing this one again this afternoon from 1 to 3 p.m. Central.    She's the one with Erica, who she had a big fight with after Lola told her that they should both do a list of their goals, and polka dot blankets for every occasion.  She also adopted a cute puppy in Houston.   AJ's sister letting two people live in her house for two years was so kind.   However, the sister being AJ's eating buddy, isn't kind.    And the sister isn't tiny herself, so the sister talking about AJ needing to do something, while they're going through the drive thru is bizarre. 

Don't miss the part where she going to the hospital for surgery, and then the excitement begins. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 2