Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E14: AnnJeannette's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

I seldom watch the commercials between this show. (Praises for the fast forward button). But last night Mr. Junk food said he's surprised they don't have shock absorber commercials. 😂 He's also decided he needs to build a better lift system for cabs and such. Make millions just in the Houston area alone!

Also rewatching month 12 she says "for the first couple of weeks after breaking up with Erica...."

Edited by JunkFoodTV
I forgot the breaking up part.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Twopper said:

Dr Now is certainly not suffering fools gladly this season.  Good for him.  He is getting downright stern.  The deaths this Feb will probably making him even sterner next season, if there is a next season.

This reminds me to ask, in the opening show bit, who is the whiny one saying "you're blaming me," or something like that.
White woman, dark hair.  Thanks.

(edited)
9 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

I was originally going to post how happy I was that Erica escaped her clutches but if they're back together that's so sad and probably only because AJ realized that Erica could still be of use to her.

Well, a good a** and fold washer/cleaner is hard to find.

I really think that Erica has self esteem issues that must not have been addressed when she had her surgery. Let's face it, a bully and abuser (looking at you AJ) can sense a victim from 2 states away and will exploit them to the fullest. AND make them come back for more.

Edited by Schnickelfritz
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17

I managed to view this episode, for better or worse.

RE: the flight to Houston, I was surprised that Annjeannette ended up behind a row of seats on the plane, and was able to make it work. Usually when we've seen these people fly, they've been put in the first row where there is a lot more room. 

Getting a dog was a very good idea, I wonder which one of them thought of that. It 's good for someone trying to do something this hard to have something that can take their mind off it and focus on something other than food, because they have someone else they need to take care of.  I was hoping it would continued to be a good motivator for Annjeanette, but after Erica left, she might have taken the dog with her, I didn't see it after that.

I see that snarky nurse hasn't been back, lol. I suspect show producers made that call, which is probably for the best, as fragile as some of these people are.  Although who knows, maybe she'll show up again.

I was so happy to see Annjeanette have that conversation with her dad, about the topic that always irritates me, and tell him he couldn't keep bringing crap food into the house, and I was so glad that he agreed with her. 

It was a shame that Erica wasn't able to see that Ann-Jeanette had to focus on the short term, because what she has to do is so hard and requires so much discipline. .Glad to see that Annjeanette eventually made very good progress and I am looking forward to her Where Are They Now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

This reminds me to ask, in the opening show bit, who is the whiny one saying "you're blaming me," or something like that.
White woman, dark hair.  Thanks.

Jeanne, I think. Not to be confused with Jeanine.

• Useful 2
21 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I know we're generally condemning AJ for being a selfish bitch, but on one hand, I see why her immediate goals would be about herself -- she basically got a reprieve from death by losing all the weight (although like the rest of you, I couldn't see that much difference).

Exactly. They HAD to be about herself because she was still in the thick of losing weight and still not past the issues that were making her compulsively overeat. AJ's goals were not in the least selfish or unreasonable, they were realistic for her situation.  I think Lola should have had Erica in on one of the sessions and advised her that she should expect this in the aftermath of surgery. Not everyone is equipped to handle a bunch of other things outside of what they absolutely have to with this project. 

Also, to whomever mentioned it, Erica broke up with AJ, not the other way around.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I know we're generally condemning AJ for being a selfish bitch, but on one hand, I see why her immediate goals would be about herself -- she basically got a reprieve from death by losing all the weight (although like the rest of you, I couldn't see that much difference).

The exercise was faulty, in my opinion. Maybe the ladies should have discussed immediate, midterm, and long-term goals. Erica's seemed to be mid- to long-term, while AJ's were fairly immediate.

They should also have discussed their plans for after the surgery. As I said in the live chat thread, I think AJ always intended to return to Oregon; it was Erica who seemed to view the move to Houston as semi-permanent. (I still think it was shitty how Erica was treated.)

My understanding was AJ complained to Lola that she and Erica were going in different directions.  I thought the homework was to write relationship goals.  I understand AJ has goals to complete her weight loss journey, but what was she expecting Erica to write:

AJ lose more weight.                                                AJ have skin surgery.                                                AJ move back with her family

Erica was focusing on where she wanted their relationship to head

14 hours ago, winsomeone said:

I don't like that therapist they use. She always wants the patient to blame her/his family for their failures, and that is usually not the case. AJ's family seemed to love her a lot and were very supportive of her period. Not easy to live with and take care of a 700 pounder, but I didn't hear any complaints from them? Some bad eating habits are generational in families..it is just how they were all raised.

Mr Tostandon is a recovering alcoholic, been sober for over 30 years.  He went through a 31 day treatment program.  They told us while there that unless we plan on living our life in a bubble, we will need to learn to be in situations where there is alcohol.  AJ cannot expect everyone around her to change their eating habits to fit her needs.

10 hours ago, 88Keys said:

And AJ herself is the one now saying that they didn't break up, and that the show "lied."  But didn't we literally hear her say the words "now that Erica and I have broken up" during the show?

That's what I heard.  

I thought at first she was trying to use the purple polka dotted blanket to cover her stomach that was always popping out of her shirts.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I believe AJ told Erica that they were just to write down goal-goals, and see if they aligned. It wasn't specific to the relationship, just to see what tracks they were each on and what each of them really wanted. 

(edited)
14 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

AJ cannot expect everyone around her to change their eating habits to fit her needs.

No, but while she was still actively trying to conquer her eating demons in the early part of  her weight loss,  and especially while she was trying to lose the weight to qualify for the surgery, and on her last chance to do it, her father absolutely should not have been bringing that food into the house.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 8

Personally, I think AJ precipitated the break-up, which she timed strategically for when she had fully recovered from surgery. She gave Erica no time to think about and formulate her own goals and didn't tell her that they were supposed to be short-term only. I think AJ was setting them up for failure.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, newyawk said:

I see that snarky nurse hasn't been back, lol. I suspect show producers made that call, which is probably for the best, as fragile as some of these people are.  Although who knows, maybe she'll show up again.

I love Cassandra and I do hope they haven't relocated her.   Loved her facials during the weigh-in.

I actually was impressed by AJ's goals.   I can see how they would be deemed to be selfish when it comes to Erica, but her immediate goals do need to be on self improvement.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ProTourist said:

Personally, I think AJ precipitated the break-up, which she timed strategically for when she had fully recovered from surgery. She gave Erica no time to think about and formulate her own goals and didn't tell her that they were supposed to be short-term only. I think AJ was setting them up for failure.

From the moment the goals were suggested by the therapist, AJ told us that while she was going to talk to her father right away, she was going to wait to talk to Erica.  I think you're right; she knew she was going to break up with Erica and was delaying until she had used Erica as much as she needed to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, newyawk said:

Exactly. They HAD to be about herself because she was still in the thick of losing weight and still not past the issues that were making her compulsively overeat. AJ's goals were not in the least selfish or unreasonable, they were realistic for her situation.  I think Lola should have had Erica in on one of the sessions and advised her that she should expect this in the aftermath of surgery. Not everyone is equipped to handle a bunch of other things outside of what they absolutely have to with this project. 

Also, to whomever mentioned it, Erica broke up with AJ, not the other way around.

But why did she have to ditch Erica to do that?  From what we saw, Erica had been nothing but supportive.  You say she might not be able to deal with a bunch of other things during the process, but how is Erica a thing to deal with?  AJ also told Lola that Erica was "threatened" by AJ becoming more independent, but we sure didn't see that.  

And also, AJ said she broke up with Erica.  See below.  She is also saying they are back together now, so who really knows what happened?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

One final thought, things often seem very haphazard because they are filming and editing almost to the date the program airs.  Some of the sudden endings are bizarre.

They really are.  And because not everyone will get a WATN treatment, I don't see why they couldn't put one of those on-screen updates at the end of the episode, to give at least a little more current information than was able to fit into the show due to filming time/editing etc.  And even if they did get a WATN segment, I don't think that having seen a little more info at the end of their first segment, would make any of us not watch the WATN.

15 hours ago, Twopper said:

Since it appears they may be back together, maybe it just was a major misunderstanding.

Either the fight was wonky or the editing was, because reactions didn't seem proportionate to what was being said.  

15 hours ago, Twopper said:

She brings out the Grammar Nazi in me.   "Me and Erica"? 

Well, since you mentioned it...   There is actually nothing grammatically wrong with putting the "me" in front of the other person being mentioned.  Somehow it has become associated with being grammatically incorrect, which I'm guessing morphed from it being viewed as impolite because of seeming self-centered.  As for the usage of "me" versus "I", that could be correct or it could be incorrect, depending on what the sentence was.  If it was "Dr Now yelled at me and Erica," then it is correct, because "me" is the pronoun to use when it is the object of the sentence.  If it was "Me and Erica went to get fast food right after my surgery," then it is incorrect, because "I" is the pronoun to use when it is the subject of the sentence. 

Simple test to help determine whether it's 'me' or 'I' -- just drop the other person out of the sentence.  So in my first sentence, "Dr. Now yelled at me" clearly wouldn't be "Dr. Now yelled at I".  And in the second sentence, "I went to get fast food right after my surgery" clearly wouldn't be "Me went to get fast food right after my surgery."

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, newyawk said:

I believe AJ told Erica that they were just to write down goal-goals, and see if they aligned. It wasn't specific to the relationship, just to see what tracks they were each on and what each of them really wanted. 

Lola said "short-term goals," but that was not what AJ told Erica so it is no wonder they were not on the same page.  I don't think it was to sabotage the relationship.  AJ may just have heard "goals" and not realized the importance of short term goal.  I think AJ is a bit dense about a lot of things.  But I blame Lola in part for not being specific as to the goals.   They should have broken them down by months. Goals for month #1, #2, #3, #6, #9 and #12.  Then short term goals for years 2 and 3.  Then start the long term goals.  I also think Lola should have had Erica at one or more sessions, but maybe Erica couldn't get off work.  I feel the counseling for many of these patients is inadequate for what they really need. 

As I mentioned earlier, I was meh about both Erica and AJ.  I would like to see a short (20 minutes) update on them, especially if they are back in Oregon.  I would also like to see if Vanessa realizes her weight is a problem.  I wonder how she is doing with her eating buddy living in Texas. 

• Love 4

No matter who left who (whom) it is my belief a psychologically sound individual would not be willing to take on the care of a pounder (unless possibly already a family member--that I can accept).   Or else I'm just selfish as hell cause it ain't happening at my house.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Lola said "short-term goals," but that was not what AJ told Erica so it is no wonder they were not on the same page.  I don't think it was to sabotage the relationship.  AJ may just have heard "goals" and not realized the importance of short term goal.  I think AJ is a bit dense about a lot of things.  But I blame Lola in part for not being specific as to the goals.   They should have broken them down by months. Goals for month #1, #2, #3, #6, #9 and #12.  Then short term goals for years 2 and 3.  Then start the long term goals.  I also think Lola should have had Erica at one or more sessions, but maybe Erica couldn't get off work.  I feel the counseling for many of these patients is inadequate for what they really need. 

As I mentioned earlier, I was meh about both Erica and AJ.  I would like to see a short (20 minutes) update on them, especially if they are back in Oregon.  I would also like to see if Vanessa realizes her weight is a problem.  I wonder how she is doing with her eating buddy living in Texas. 

It may be me but I think they need a therapist that does more than say everything is everyone’s fault but yours and while you’re at it write your father.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
8 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

If I had a pair like Lola you can bet I'd showcase them!

A friend was talking about women in magazines showing it all. How "wrong" it was. I said "if I looked like that I'd be nekked at the supermarket". Frozen foods here I come! 😆

• LOL 13
  • Love 3

We see a few minutes of what is likely a 50 minute session.  There are even a few poundticipants that mention having seen Lola multiple times.  The show shows us the portion of what is discussed that matches the scene we'll see later.  So Lola says 1) talk to your dad about being more supportive by not bringing food into the house that AJ is having trouble resisting and 2) talk to Erica about relationship goals.  Then we get those two scenes carefully staged in front of the cameras. I particularly enjoyed the "How would you like to come sit on the couch in this exact spot where the crew is set up" portion of the scene.  M600LL does a terrible job when it comes to breaking the fourth wall.  All reality shows do this, some just make it less obvious. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, 88Keys said:

But why did she have to ditch Erica to do that?  From what we saw, Erica had been nothing but supportive.  You say she might not be able to deal with a bunch of other things during the process, but how is Erica a thing to deal with? 

She didn't ditch Erica, Erica broke up with her, it was made clear in the scene where they fought. They had already been fighting by the time she went to therapy because Erica was feeling shortshrifted by all the focus AJ was putting into the weight loss (and she was in the stage where it was crucial that she do that).  It's really pretty critical that any support team these people have be made to understand that the patient must focus on themselves after surgery and while they are still trying to get a handle on their issues, so they don't backslide.  It would be nice if the show stressed that by showing Lola and Dr. Now saying this to the family members.

The editing does have a lot to do with how we see the show, because one of  the only indications we got that Erica was having problems with the relationship was her overreaction to AJ's list of goals, which told me that there was a lot more going on than what was being shown.  I guess they worked through it though.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

We see a few minutes of what is likely a 50 minute session.  There are even a few poundticipants that mention having seen Lola multiple times.  The show shows us the portion of what is discussed that matches the scene we'll see later.  So Lola says...

Yes, but...a few weeks ago the poundticipant (forgot the woman's name) confronted someone (her father?) and it didn't go as she apparently anticipated, and she was upset, saying she hadn't thought he'd react like that.  It was clear that Lola had not had a thorough conversation about what the possible reactions would be and what the poundticipant's resulting actions/approach should be based on the reaction that occurs.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 12:35 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I more and more give this show the side eye on the editing.  There are so many cuts in the commentary and moments when people are speaking but we are shown them from behind that anybody could have said anything at almost any time.

This was made quite clear to me in the single shots of Dr Now and the Poundticipants in the Exam Room of Gloom. There is almost never a shot comprised of all of them. It's  the Poundicipant talking then cut to Dr Now then cut back to them and so on. I think half the time he's not even responding directly to what they're saying and that the producers go back and film him after they decide what kind of edit the person featured on the show is going to get.

I'm still aghast at how AJ made her "relationship goals" list all about her and berated about her actual list of goals they could both work towards. Such a vile beast. 

(edited)
On 4/5/2019 at 9:27 AM, LuvMyShows said:

If it was "Me and Erica went to get fast food right after my surgery," then it is incorrect, because "I" is the pronoun to use when it is the subject of the sentence. 

She did use  it as the subject of a sentence.  I guess my comments should have been clearer.  I have erased the DVR, but I think it was a repeated speech pattern in her commentary. 

Edited by Twopper
  • Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, libgirl2 said:

I saw a difference in her face, body, not so much. 

I was thinking the same thing libgirl2. Do you or any other Pounder Pals remember when TLC would show the side-by-side at the end of the episode of what they looked like before and after? I remember that there were several of the poundticipants who really didn't look like they had lost 200 or 300 pounds, maybe because of their body shape, at least to me, but when shown the side-by-side you could really see the difference; wish they would bring that back.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Do you or any other Pounder Pals remember when TLC would show the side-by-side at the end of the episode of what they looked like before and after?

Yes, in fact I saw a repeat of one of the earlier shows recently.  I do wonder why they don't do that anymore.  I know they don't always look a lot smaller because they are still lugging around the saggy skin---especially on the abdomen.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Twopper said:

Yes, in fact I saw a repeat of one of the earlier shows recently.  I do wonder why they don't do that anymore.  I know they don't always look a lot smaller because they are still lugging around the saggy skin---especially on the abdomen.

It seems this season it's an hour and a half of BS. Then surgery. Then show over. So an "after" photo would be pointless. It seems this year no one is serious about accepting this gift of life. 🙁

• Love 3
(edited)

I like Lola, but I can't stand that her default advice is to talk to whichever parent "wronged" the person.  This backfires often, and IMO, it would set many a person back, as we've seen before.

I wish she'd offer the advice to write them a letter that they won't send, but for them to review that letter with her.  This could help them process their feelings without running the risk of that parent getting up and walking away, as we've seen in previous episodes.

Yes, in this episode, her dad was more than willing to abide by her wishes to keep junk food out of the house, but it backfired with the Erica exercise.

I also wish they'd use an assortment of therapists, as they did in the past.  Wonder if some of the therapists from prior seasons have backed out?  They've shown Dr. Paradise a few episodes in this season, but lately, they keep driving up to Lola's building, sitting "anywhere they are comfortable", and being asked to confront whoever wronged them.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sterling said:

I wish she'd offer the advice to write them a letter that they won't send, but for them to review that letter with her.  This could help them process their feelings without running the risk of that parent getting up and walking away, as we've seen in previous episodes.

This would still leave them with the same unresolved feelings and frustration. Things don't get resolved unless you actually take action to try to confront and resolve them, they fester otherwise. Part of the problem a lot of these people have had is that serious issues have been getting ignored and swept under the carpet instead of being addressed, and this is why they turned to overeating as an outlet.

Edited by newyawk
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, JunkFoodTV said:

It seems this year no one is serious about accepting this gift of life. 🙁

Justin actually did well from the very start (the redheaded guy) and there have been a few others who have made very good progress after a rocky start. But there have been more trainwrecks than usual, I think.

• Love 3
(edited)
57 minutes ago, newyawk said:

This would still leave them with the same unresolved feelings and frustration. Things don't get resolved unless you actually take action to try to confront and resolve them, they fester otherwise. Part of the problem a lot of these people have had is that serious issues have been getting ignored and swept under the carpet instead of being addressed, and this is why they turned to overeating as an outlet.

Deleted, as my comments probably belong in Small Talk thread.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 1
(edited)

I also disagree with Lola's advice to confront the person, especially a parent, who "done 'em wrong" in their childhood.  If their relationship is a good one currently, all the confrontation does is put the parent on the defensive and they're likely to react badly, which doesn't help.   And what if that parent has passed away?   I think the idea mentioned earlier of writing a letter without sending it would be a better choice in a lot of these cases.  I am no expert, though.

Edited by Dittohead
  • Love 7

Keeping their feelings to themselves is a big part of what got these people into trouble in the first place.  Therapy WITH the parent or abusive person in question would be the best option.  Letting their parents think that everything is fine and never speaking to them about the issue is no solution at all. 

It also does depend on how receptive the parent or other person is.  If they are dead, estranged, or permanently out of the picture for whatever other reason, then obviously the therapy needs to take a different approach and that is an instance where a letter the patient keeps to themself might be of some use.

• Love 2

My only real concern is where oh where is that adorable little dog?! Poor thing! Same old tired story - “woe is me I have had a horrible life”. I grow weary at watching these completely selfish overgrown babies who are eating themselves to death! 99% of them do not work and live off others in their families. They then expect said families to uproot and move to Houston, set up a new living space and get jobs - all for these selfish people and to “support” them (hate that freaking term). This one was especially selfish - after everything Erica did for her - moved, financially supported her, etc. I personally think Dr. Now is asking too much by demanding “support” and a move to Houston. These people need tough love - not constant support!

• Love 5

I personally think Dr. Now is asking too much by demanding “support” and a move to Houston.

I don't think it's too much - I think it's just practical. There's no point having people in the program if he can't help them and in his experience, people need to be nearby and have someone to help them in order to have the best chance of success. Particularly post-operatively, they need to be nearby so that he can see them quickly if they have complications. And since so many of these people need help long before they get to Dr. Now, they definitely need help after, when they have limitations on mobility post-operatively, need to do wound care, etc.

I had a significant surgery on my abdomen a few years ago and I could barely sit up for two weeks without help. I wasn't allowed to drive for a couple weeks and had to get to doctor's appointments plus get prescriptions, food, etc. No way I could have done that without help.

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I had a significant surgery on my abdomen a few years ago and I could barely sit up for two weeks without help. I wasn't allowed to drive for a couple weeks and had to get to doctor's appointments plus get prescriptions, food, etc. No way I could have done that without help.

But did you expect your helpers to give up their entire lives, jobs, etc., to cater to your every demand?  I think a lot of us get frustrated because the helpers seem to be giving up a lot, and - for the first part of pretty much EVERY episode - the poundicipant isn't even giving up excessive amounts of food.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

But did you expect your helpers to give up their entire lives, jobs, etc., to cater to your every demand?  I think a lot of us get frustrated because the helpers seem to be giving up a lot, and - for the first part of pretty much EVERY episode - the poundicipant isn't even giving up excessive amounts of food.

Of course I did - he knew that when he married me 🙂

Kidding, of course. I think the bottom line is that these patients need an extraordinary amount of support. If they live in Houston that’s one thing. If they don’t, it’s a much bigger sacrifice for the caregiver. Since Dr. Now is one of the only doctors who will work on patients of this size, that means only patients who can hire help or have a friend/family member provide it can make use of his services. My argument was that Dr. Now isn’t unreasonable to require it despite the level of sacrifice it turns out to be.

• Love 11

I'm always amazed when (some) people on this show have significant others - not because of weight - but because of how seemingly horrible they are. I guess a person tends to attract, and be attracted to, people as damaged as they are - but honestly, what is attractive about a person who never leaves her home, who has one hobby (eating), who has no interests other than eating and who is self-centered and bordering on delusional? We've seen people featured on this show who seem genuinely nice, smart, generous and loving and yet AnnJeannette attracted a mate a short while ago, based on what? Erica seemed like a pretty nice person who worked to support them, picked up her life to help save her girlfriend's life and then because their short list of "goals" don't match up, AnnJeannette breaks up with her? Seriously?

I fast-forwarded the entire Lola part so I don't know what the "goals" exercise was really meant to be. Her advice is always the same to the point that we laugh when we see her and say, "So how long until she tells this person to confront mom and/or dad?" I cannot imagine that she advised her to sit down and tell Erica to "write down her goals" to see if the "match hers" and spend 2 minutes on that, with no explanation, no conversation and no instruction - and then break up with her because they didn't match perfectly. That felt so juvenile and silly, and then the fight erupted and all of a sudden their relationship was over. Okay then. 

I rest my case that I see nothing in AnnJeannette's personality that would/should attract a mate. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Yet, my understanding is Erica and Annjeannette are together, and say the whole fight was staged.

The Supersized episode is on this Thursday, 11 April from 7-9 pm Central, I wonder if there will be anything interesting in the pop ups this time?    

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yet, my understanding is Erica and Annjeannette are together, and say the whole fight was staged.

Erica's reaction seemed pretty genuine to me. The entire exchange seemed massively awkward, but I racked that up to AnnJeannette not really understanding why Lola suggested she do this (again, I FF'ed Lola's entire section, so not sure what she advised her to do). It didn't even register with me that they'd broken up until AnnJeannette mentioned it in her voiceover. 

Not sure how tricky editing could show Erica crying and then have AnnJeannette say they had broken up and Erica had moved out? To me it smacks more of AnnJeannette being self-centered and silly, breaking up with Erica and then regretting it later after realizing that she had it pretty good - then blaming it on editing to make herself look better.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Of course I did - he knew that when he married me 🙂

Kidding, of course. I think the bottom line is that these patients need an extraordinary amount of support. If they live in Houston that’s one thing. If they don’t, it’s a much bigger sacrifice for the caregiver. Since Dr. Now is one of the only doctors who will work on patients of this size, that means only patients who can hire help or have a friend/family member provide it can make use of his services. My argument was that Dr. Now isn’t unreasonable to require it despite the level of sacrifice it turns out to be.

I agree with you; and Dr. Now asks *every time* before he does the surgery if the patient and a helper will be able to move to Houston for a year.  It's not like they don't have warning and time to arrange things.  I wonder how many patients drop out at that point.  Not everyone can take that kind of time off from a job, and only people with fairly menial work are able quickly to transfer their abilities to another city.  We know that people with careers like nursing are pretty much able to find work anywhere in the country, but how many are able to drop out at one city and pick up in another for no reason other than they're needed to care for a post-surgical friend or family member?  It's an awful lot to ask.

Probably many of the patients we see who obviously don't have a lot of money--i.e. most of them--are the only patients who have this sort of economic mobility. I know that my middle-class life couldn't be transferred to Houston, especially at short notice.  Besides work (which would not transfer at all), there's the question of owning a house which I would not want to rent.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

I agree with you; and Dr. Now asks *every time* before he does the surgery if the patient and a helper will be able to move to Houston for a year.  It's not like they don't have warning and time to arrange things.  I wonder how many patients drop out at that point.  Not everyone can take that kind of time off from a job, and only people with fairly menial work are able quickly to transfer their abilities to another city.  We know that people with careers like nursing are pretty much able to find work anywhere in the country, but how many are able to drop out at one city and pick up in another for no reason other than they're needed to care for a post-surgical friend or family member?  It's an awful lot to ask.

Probably many of the patients we see who obviously don't have a lot of money--i.e. most of them--are the only patients who have this sort of economic mobility. I know that my middle-class life couldn't be transferred to Houston, especially at short notice.  Besides work (which would not transfer at all), there's the question of owning a house which I would not want to rent.

Yes. I could have said it another way, I realize. I don’t think that what Dr. Now asks is unreasonable but it’s definitely a huge ask for a patient to make of a friend or family member...

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Yes. I could have said it another way, I realize. I don’t think that what Dr. Now asks is unreasonable but it’s definitely a huge ask for a patient to make of a friend or family member...

I think maybe it depends on a lot of stuff.  They need the poundcipients in Houston for filming, plus I can see him wanting all his patients to hang around Houston for a few weeks after being released from the hospital to make sure there are no issues with the surgery.  AJ came from Oregon which is a rather long commute, but there was one woman from Tulsa or OK City who basically did commute.  She finally decided to do it "her way" after she lost several hundred pounds.  He may have allowed that as she was a teacher, and I doubt she wanted to take a year off from work.   I don't think he expected Jeanne and her mom to move from Big Sandy for a year.  I would guess regular patients from out of town  may stay in an extended stay hotel for the time they are there.  I  had to stay at a hotel while getting treatment in Denver, and we stayed at a Residence Inn for about 3 weeks at a much reduced rate than they give people who are there for medical reasons.

Seemed to me that AJ was using Erica as personal caretaker and as soon as she became slightly more mobile she didn't need/want her around anymore.   I didn't really care if AJ did well and lost eight not.  Whatever . .

Hey I don't really know, but wouldn't a more constructive way to handle the past wrongs done to these poundicipents be to tell them they can't let the past drag then down, gotta let it go, you can't control the behavior of others, don't empower the crappy parent and allow him/her to ruin your life,  be strong, etc?  

• Love 2

Lola's instructions were confusing. Just rewatching it now. She tells AJ to talk with Erica about "short-term" goals. She doesn't specify relationship goals. Then later she says to compare goals and see if they're on the same page. I would have though "marriage and children" was more of a long-term goal. In light of the modifier "short-term", AJ's focus on her weight is more reasonable, IMO.

Tomorrow night is the Supersized of Annjeannette's story.     Speaking of support, she really needs to see a good bra fitter.     

I know that sounds mean, but her bra isn't supporting anything when the back band is crawling up her back, and the cups aren't supportive at all.      Actually, a decent front hook sports bra, with good support could improve her posture, ease the strain on her shoulders and back from the weight of her chest.     I think a lot of the poundticipant women could eventually consider breast reduction, and improve their health a lot.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1