Type keyword(s) to search

S07:E14: AnnJeannette's Story

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Reminder: Please do not discuss politics via topic of disability/Medicare & "stealing from the public". Only address issues related to people on the show, not everyone in a given group.  Let's veer away from assumptions that head us down that slope. 

• Start Topic

When AnnJeannette was 9, a campaign was started to send her to fat camp. She hated that her weight had become a source of public shame and she has struggled to overcome her food addiction.  Now she must change her eating habits to save her life.

AnnJeannette has too many letters, especially double consonants, in her name for our comfort.  Feel free to refer to her as AJ to save yourself from developing carpal tunnel syndrome while posting. 

This is the regular episode thread.  It will be open after the US East Coast showing. 

Original air date 2019.04.03

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

I just realized that AJ reminds me of Maja, except without the histrionics and screaming.  But they're both lazy users who can't seem to take responsibility for themselves. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 23

I know we're generally condemning AJ for being a selfish bitch, but on one hand, I see why her immediate goals would be about herself -- she basically got a reprieve from death by losing all the weight (although like the rest of you, I couldn't see that much difference).

The exercise was faulty, in my opinion. Maybe the ladies should have discussed immediate, midterm, and long-term goals. Erica's seemed to be mid- to long-term, while AJ's were fairly immediate.

They should also have discussed their plans for after the surgery. As I said in the live chat thread, I think AJ always intended to return to Oregon; it was Erica who seemed to view the move to Houston as semi-permanent. (I still think it was shitty how Erica was treated.)

I don't watch this show regularly; was Erica one of the lesser enablers or was she right up there with others from other episodes? Here it certainly seemed like the sister was the worst. 

I hated the contrived weigh-in right before the surgery. There's no way she'd have even been there if her weight loss wasn't good enough. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Maybe I’m mean, but even though Ann-Jeannette lost all that weight, her body/size looked no different at the end of the episode. 

I felt so bad for Erica, it was clear that AJ ( pick one damn name already) knew she was dropping Erica as soon as she could,basically using her. 

I know we get to see only a small part of their lives,but I never got the impression that Erica wanted AJ to stay big.  She seemed like a decent person,she even seemed to start working a new job after the move.

That fight scene seemed so one Sided for AJ only. Erica moved from her home state in CA, to OR  and then to TX,but AJ couldn’t even consider ever living Near Erica’s family.  

And I don’t even wanna know how dirty those fake nails are. Gag.

Ann-Jeannette is only 5ft 1 ,she was carting around 5 times the amount of weight a normal small woman would normally .. she should weigh 120 max ...

• Useful 3
  • Love 11
(edited)
43 minutes ago, calpurnia99 said:

Obviously she had never seen the show. I used to think they were reading a script, but no, these people who are 600 plus pounds all have identical thought patterns. She said I'M SO SCARED RIGHT NOW about 100 times in this episode and that was not scripted. And she said "I hope Dr. Now understands that I didn't hit my goal because I've been under so much stress and especially  having to move here". No he doesn't understand! At least she didn't say she was going to shove her weight loss into his face and make him eat his words. 

It;s like these people are complete failures but they eventually succeed for one reason: Dr. Now does not give up on them! He gives them 4 chances! H reads them the riot act. And at the 4th chance they finally realize Hey this is it! I better stick to the diet! Eventually they lose 250 pounds, but it's all Dr. Now. No one else would have got them to give up food. He is a godsend to these people! 4 chances!  The other thing that helps is that if they stick to the diet for only 5 days they lose 30 pounds so that is a huge motivator. Their eating less actually pays off on the scale unlike someone who needs to lose 10 pounds.  And taking that much weight off they can actually feel the difference immediately in being able to do more. It just takes munts and munts to get them to actually get with the program.

and they usually find other things to do with themselves other than just eat ,the day away ...Their lives mostly consisted of planning their next meal and or "snack" ... with no real connection to the real world.

Edited by AVM
  • Love 8

I hope she can do it. I ended up not hating her at the end. I just wish her list would have included Erica. She is on FB however and said she is with Erica and that they did "creative" editing. Basically, don't believe everything you see. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, calpurnia99 said:

Obviously she had never seen the show. I used to think they were reading a script, but no, these people who are 600 plus pounds all have identical thought patterns.

They are reading a script, though.  Even reality shows have writers.  I think My 600 Pound Life needs new ones.

• Useful 1
  • Love 15

I don't like that therapist they use. She always wants the patient to blame her/his family for their failures, and that is usually not the case. AJ's family seemed to love her a lot and were very supportive of her period. Not easy to live with and take care of a 700 pounder, but I didn't hear any complaints from them? Some bad eating habits are generational in families..it is just how they were all raised.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

If someone cares about you enough to be wiping your ass, but you can’t think beyond yourself enough to give them consideration in the near, medium, or long term then yes, you’re a horrible person.  

Erica was pretty standard. She’d keep AJ fed so that she wouldn’t have to face the anger if she didn’t. But considering Erica had WLS and was gaining weight, she’d have been delusional if she thought she was helping at that point  or that AJ was only eating meals with her.

The sister was a major enabler, and has her own weight issues. If that doesn’t get addressed when AJ moves back to the land of endless buffet, she could end up at the same weight where she started. 

Absolutely, Amen, ITA about the the first bolded part.

As for the second one, I hope so.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, calpurnia99 said:

Obviously she had never seen the show. I used to think they were reading a script, but no, these people who are 600 plus pounds all have identical thought patterns. She said I'M SO SCARED RIGHT NOW about 100 times in this episode and that was not scripted. And she said "I hope Dr. Now understands that I didn't hit my goal because I've been under so much stress and especially  having to move here". No he doesn't understand! At least she didn't say she was going to shove her weight loss into his face and make him eat his words. 

It;s like these people are complete failures but they eventually succeed for one reason: Dr. Now does not give up on them! He gives them 4 chances! H reads them the riot act. And at the 4th chance they finally realize Hey this is it! I better stick to the diet! Eventually they lose 250 pounds, but it's all Dr. Now. No one else would have got them to give up food. He is a godsend to these people! 4 chances!  The other thing that helps is that if they stick to the diet for only 5 days they lose 30 pounds so that is a huge motivator. Their eating less actually pays off on the scale unlike someone who needs to lose 10 pounds.  And taking that much weight off they can actually feel the difference immediately in being able to do more. It just takes munts and munts to get them to actually get with the program.

And that puppy, no matter what a pc of 120 BMI selfish idiot you are, the dog loves you to bits and licks your face.

If I could like this post 1000 times, I would calpurnia99!

Also, regarding seeing progress in five days as a motivator, I think it would be much more helpful to have a scale to weigh themselves on at home on a weekly basis; not a standard scale which only goes up to 350 pounds, but one for someone poundticipant size. They're a bit expensive so maybe if TLC or Dr. Now could loan them one, we won't have to hear the same old "Gee, I hope I lost weight nonsense" right before their one "munt" weigh in.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

They are reading a script, though.  Even reality shows have writers.  I think My 600 Pound Life needs new ones.

It is getting rather redundant isn't it? 

17 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

Supposedly AJ and Erica are back together, according to Facebook.  Erica is even defending her.  😞

I saw that. I hope that is the case. I think Erica having lost the weight herself could end up a bigger help than her family members. They were all huge. 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Also, regarding seeing progress in five days as a motivator, I think it would be much more helpful to have a scale to weigh themselves on at home on a weekly basis; not a standard scale which only goes up to 350 pounds, but one for someone poundticipant size. They're a bit expensive so maybe if TLC or Dr. Now could loan them one, we won't have to hear the same old "Gee, I hope I lost weight nonsense" right before their one "munt" weigh in.

This^^.  There are lots of bariatric scales on the market now.  I just found one for $156 that was on sale for about $85 that weighs up to 700 pounds.  It is also wide-bodied so an obese person can stand on it.  TLC could buy a couple of dozen of them (I am sure they could get them cheaper if they buy a lot at one time) and lend them to the patients as they start their "jerneys."  They could ship them to them in their home towns if needed.  Once the patient hits the lower 500s he should be able to buy his own scale.  It would seem that giving patients a scale at home would help to reduce  (ha!) the uncertainty about how much weight they have or haven't lost.  I certainly rely on my scale now that I am trying to lose about 25 pounds.  (have lost 10 already, in part thanks to Lent).  People relying on if their skin feels loose or their mattress makes them look too fat is not a good way to judge weight gain or loss. 

I haven't seen the whole episode yet.  I came in late to the live chat last night, and then spent about half an hour reading thru it to get an idea of what happened.  I started to watch, but fell asleep as she tries to get into the car to head to the airport.  Guess I wasn't ready for another airport scene.   Her face looks so very fat at the beginning, and her sister Vanessa seems like a likely candidate for the WLS as well.

I get really stabby with these people for saying that eating is the only activity they can share with their friends or fam.   For heavens sake, go buy a jigsaw puzzle,  build a lego village with your sister's kids, get an adult coloring book (no, not a good idea as the really intricate ones induce more stress than they reduce), play cards, play a board game,  help with the laundry. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
(edited)
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

<snip>

She basically got a reprieve from death by losing all the weight (although like the rest of you, I couldn't see that much difference).

Well, we hope she got a reprieve from death by losing as much weight as she did, but as we learned from Kelly's experience, that's not a given.

When someone of normal weight either gains a lot of weight or loses a lot of weight (remember Karen Carpenter?) it can damage their body, sometimes in ways that may not be detectable.

I hope AJ continues with her program and gets down to her target weight, and her body remains strong and healthy. But losing the weight is no guarantee she won't succumb to a heart attack or other issue related to her former weight in the future.

After Kelly's story, I wondered whether airing it might do more harm than good. My concern is whether some who are morbidly obese might say to themselves "Why should I sacrifice the one thing I love if there's a good chance I'll die anyway? Might as well die happy." 

As we all know, most of these Pounders will use any excuse not to lose the weight.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Clarification: original wording may have implied I was referring to those who are obese losing weight, instead of those who have anorexia or bulimia.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, TwirlyGirly said:

Well, we hope she got a reprieve from death by losing as much weight as she did, but as we learned from Kelly's experience, that's not a given.

Both gaining a lot of weight and losing a lot of weight (remember Karen Carpenter?) damages your body, sometimes in ways that may not be detectable.

I hope AJ continues with her program and gets down to her target weight, and her body remains strong and healthy. But losing the weight is no guarantee she won't succumb to a heart attack or other issue related to her former weight in the future.

After Kelly's story, I wondered whether airing it might do more harm than good. My concern is whether some who are morbidly obese might say to themselves "Why should I sacrifice the one thing I love if there's a good chance I'll die anyway? Might as well die happy." 

As we all know, most of these Pounders will use any excuse not to lose the weight.

Karen Carpenter death should have been the wake-up call to Anorexia nervosa ,meanwhile we got fat acceptance groups which both are as deadly

• Love 9
45 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It is getting rather redundant isn't it? 

I saw that. I hope that is the case. I think Erica having lost the weight herself could end up a bigger help than her family members. They were all huge. 

You can only help when someone wants help. AJ;s sister is huge

• Love 2

I hope Erica only went back to AJ after AJ apologized, promised to discuss where they would live, and what their common goals are going forward.      I had it with AJ after she was scared, anxious, nauseous, worried, and everything was about her.     I hope Erica has the self esteem to demand that she is an equal partner going forward, and gets treated like an equal partner, with love and understanding.     I really liked Erica, and hope that AJ realized what she almost lost by treating her partner like garbage.    

It might be that I just don't like AJ, (and I don't), but no matter how much weight she lost, she never really looked any different.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I hope Erica only went back to AJ after AJ apologized, promised to discuss where they would live, and what their common goals are going forward.      I had it with AJ after she was scared, anxious, nauseous, worried, and everything was about her.     I hope Erica has the self esteem to demand that she is an equal partner going forward, and gets treated like an equal partner, with love and understanding.     I really liked Erica, and hope that AJ realized what she almost lost by treating her partner like garbage.    

It might be that I just don't like AJ, (and I don't), but no matter how much weight she lost, she never really looked any different.   

I saw a difference in her face, body, not so much. 

• Love 4

I am fairly certain the show doesn't want the pounditicpants weighing themselves between visits to Dr. Now to keep the dramahz! So it leaves people to judge by how they feel.

For Annjeannette, her weight loss showed in her face.  Otherwise she seemed to shrink overall, so it was harder to tell how much she lost.  At the end, she no longer looked like her body was going to absorb her head. Also we didn't get the scene near the end where the poundticipant exposes their smaller belly and lifts their folds to show their weight loss.  It is much harder to tell with a fully clothed person when there are no good comparisons.  It's not like they create a wax figure of what she looked like prior to the weight loss. 

I more and more give this show the side eye on the editing.  There are so many cuts in the commentary and moments when people are speaking but we are shown them from behind that anybody could have said anything at almost any time. There are even Dr. Now talking heads that are supposedly done in real time in which his hair will change while he's speaking or the pin he wears on his lab coat will change positions.  Editing shenanigans!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
20 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I am fairly certain the show doesn't want the pounditicpants weighing themselves between visits to Dr. Now to keep the dramahz! So it leaves people to judge by how they feel.

For Annjeannette, her weight loss showed in her face.  Otherwise she seemed to shrink overall, so it was harder to tell how much she lost.  At the end, she no longer looked like her body was going to absorb her head. Also we didn't get the scene near the end where the poundticipant exposes their smaller belly and lifts their folds to show their weight loss.  It is much harder to tell with a fully clothed person when there are no good comparisons.  It's not like they create a wax figure of what she looked like prior to the weight loss. 

I more and more give this show the side eye on the editing.  There are so many cuts in the commentary and moments when people are speaking but we are shown them from behind that anybody could have said anything at almost any time. There are even Dr. Now talking heads that are supposedly done in real time in which his hair will change while he's speaking or the pin he wears on his lab coat will change positions.  Editing shenanigans!  

Yes so much to the first bolded part! Why have actual reality when you can manufacture it.

As for the second one, I am currently special ordering gasoline saturated panties for you!😆

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

The exercise was faulty, in my opinion. Maybe the ladies should have discussed immediate, midterm, and long-term goals. Erica's seemed to be mid- to long-term, while AJ's were fairly immediate.

Maybe the exercise was faulty, but it seems to me that their having such different goals was a signal to talk, not to yell.  It was obvious that AJ was focused on finishing her "journey" while Erica was planning for life after AJ became healthier.  That should have led to a conversation about short-term vs. long-term goals, instead of a breakup (although another poster says it was all fake, anyway).

The way we saw it, though, AJ is the worst girlfriend in the world, even worse than Maja.  She used Erica as a support for her life during surgery and recovery--as long as she needed her.  While Erica was loving--she was always touching AJ affectionately during times of stress--AJ was totally nasty to her.  Even early in the episode, when AJ was trying to arrange something about her wheelchair, AJ turned into a nasty toddler.

And that beach towel AJ used to "conceal" herself.  As Popeye sez:  "arf arf arf."

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
50 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I feel like this happens a lot with reality shows that become popular.  The PTB try to ramp up what they think is appealing to viewers and start inserting faked, scripted stuff, but what we like is the genuine-ness of the shows.  The worst example of this imo is "Chrisley Knows Best" which after one season turned into a goddam (unwatchable) sit-com.  And look at "Catfish"--we know that Nev will suggest that after the initial meeting they call it quits and come back tomorrow.  Yawn.

I hope Dr. Now's son has the sense to realize that he has a winner and doesn't try to make it more dramatic or intense.  There is already a certain pattern the show follows (which seems to me to be organic--the visit to Dr. Now, failure to follow the diet, wake-up call, success, etc.), and to try to manipulate the stories we see will only drive away viewers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Concerned said:

Felt bad for Erica. After two years with AJ, she had marriage and children on her card, but she wasn’t on AJ’s card at all. Erica must have had low self esteem to chase after a 600-pound woman, but to be dumped without warning would be depressing. I hope she can see herself better off without AJ.

Absolutely!  What AJ listed were short-term goals for herself, what should just have been a little to-do list.
I join you in wishing Erica well.

• Love 7
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Mothra said:

I feel like this happens a lot with reality shows that become popular.  The PTB try to ramp up what they think is appealing to viewers and start inserting faked, scripted stuff, but what we like is the genuine-ness of the shows.  The worst example of this imo is "Chrisley Knows Best" which after one season turned into a goddam (unwatchable) sit-com.  And look at "Catfish"--we know that Nev will suggest that after the initial meeting they call it quits and come back tomorrow.  Yawn.

I hope Dr. Now's son has the sense to realize that he has a winner and doesn't try to make it more dramatic or intense.  There is already a certain pattern the show follows (which seems to me to be organic--the visit to Dr. Now, failure to follow the diet, wake-up call, success, etc.), and to try to manipulate the stories we see will only drive away viewers.

Agreed regarding the nature of reality tv but when it comes to Dr. Now's son, sad to say, but I think it's already too late to hope for that since I have had the feeling for years now that, as the executive producer, he's just in it for the money and really doesn't give two shits about the poundticipants.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Additional comments.
48 minutes ago, Mothra said:

Maybe the exercise was faulty, but it seems to me that their having such different goals was a signal to talk, not to yell.  It was obvious that AJ was focused on finishing her "journey" while Erica was planning for life after AJ became healthier.  That should have led to a conversation about short-term vs. long-term goals, instead of a breakup (although another poster says it was all fake, anyway).

When AJ suddenly started yelling and telling Erica what she should think/feel, that's when she suddenly reminded me of Maja.

And AJ herself is the one now saying that they didn't break up, and that the show "lied."  But didn't we literally hear her say the words "now that Erica and I have broken up" during the show?

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
4 hours ago, 88Keys said:

If that happened, we'd have to devise a new bingo game.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Well, they need better writers then, because 9 times out of 10  I can correctly guess whether they have gained or lost.  Not the exact amount, of course, but close enough.   I don't feel the drama, but at least they don't show the scale numbers bouncing all over the place like another show used to do. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

With everything that’s come out about Erica now can one make the argument of abuse rather than enabler? Let’s be honest, Erica got treated horribly, fed her to stave off anger, etc etc. Sounds like victim behavior to me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, thebigboot said:

With everything that’s come out about Erica now can one make the argument of abuse rather than enabler? Let’s be honest, Erica got treated horribly, fed her to stave off anger, etc etc. Sounds like victim behavior to me.

Isn’t that the standard enabler profile?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, 88Keys said:

When AJ suddenly started yelling and telling Erica what she should think/feel, that's when she suddenly reminded me of Maja.

And AJ herself is the one now saying that they didn't break up, and that the show "lied."  But didn't we literally hear her say the words "now that Erica and I have broken up" during the show?

I think it was “with Erica gone” or “now that Erica has left.”

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I think it was “with Erica gone” or “now that Erica has left.”

I wonder if Erica left for a bit to give them time to cool off? Its not like we saw her packing her bags! 

Oh and Erica is on the FB page and said AJ isn't as bad as they made her seem and that she loves her. 

Wow, usually I can find plenty of links on hosting sites to watch this show, and after this episode there is NOTHING. Guess TLC is getting smart and cracking down a lot harder.

So much meh with this one.  I thought it was Pounder snark that the blanket was an Invisibility blanket a la Harry Potter.  But she actually said something to that effect.  She didn't seem to drag it like Linus.  When she put it in front of her I thought maybe she was afraid the elastic in her pants would finally give up, and the blanket was to cover that.  I guess she thought if she had the blanket, people would think the reason she looked heavy was because the blanket was bunched up.  Or something like that.   Oh, bother.  I have no understanding of her thought process.  None. 

Purple blanket thru the airport, but at least she didn't need 2 wheelchairs.  Already I cannot recall who that was.  Kelly, maybe? 

She brings out the Grammar Nazi in me.   "Me and Erica"? 

At least she wears clothes,  but why would she pick out all those tops with the horizontal stripes?  I get that they are of a stretchy material, but she could buy solids in the same style and look a little better.  Not a lot better, because at that weight it is pretty hard to look all that great.  Plus the stripes accented what appear to be a second set of boobs when she walks.  I did notice sandals instead of flip flops.

Ugh! her childhood sounds pretty dreadful.  I would be embarrassed if I had been featured in a feature about "fat camp."  And her dad dealing drugs and her mother using.  She must not have done much meth as meth heads don't usually look overweight, much less obese.

Erica seldom looked happy;  she is too young to have that perpetual frown.  There was a quick reference to Erica having had the sleeve surgery.  Maybe she didn't want to talk about it, but I really thought the show would emphasize her using her experience to help AJ, but I guess that never happened.

Dr Now is certainly not suffering fools gladly this season.  Good for him.  He is getting downright stern.  The deaths this Feb will probably making him even sterner next season, if there is a next season.

I sometimes wonder if the poundcipients just watch the first episode with Melissa and Ashley where he does the surgery without seeming to require weight loss.  I am not sure about Melissa, but I am pretty sure he weighed Ashley and then immediately did the surgery.  I am sorry I mentioned Ashely, because it reminds me of how awful her mother was to her. 

I did notice that Lola said short term goals, but I don't think AJ made that distinction with Erica.  I do think AJ is thick as a plank so that is not a great surprise, but it was very unfortunate.  Also this is where I thought Erica's experience with WLS would make her understand AJ's goals.   Since it appears they may be back together, maybe it just was a major misunderstanding.

I am really worried if she returns to Oregon, she and Vanessa will go back to their eating habit. 

So sorry I will miss the live chat on Milla and Charity.  Maybe I can snark when it opens for the west coast if I can convert ET to PT.  I did not feel charitable to Charity when that was over. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Agreed regarding the nature of reality tv but when it comes to Dr. Now's son, sad to say, but I think it's already too late to hope for that since I have had the feeling for years now that, as the executive producer, he's just in it for the money and really doesn't give two shits about the poundticipants.

According to IMDB, his son hasn't been involved in the new  shows for the last few years.  He has been the Executive Producer for the WATN programs. What exactly he does as the EP, would be interesting to know, because every program has numerous levels of producers.

Personally, the additional hour is the problem, not the production standards. And that is probably on TLC, which is desperate for programming that people actually care about.  

One final thought, things often seem very haphazard because they are filming and editing almost to the date the program airs.  Some of the sudden endings are bizarre.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5