Type keyword(s) to search

The InBetween - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Also, who thinks it's a good idea to become a bartender when your mother was an alcoholic?

It is a great idea if your plan was to become a functional alcoholic. People are always buying bartenders drinks, which the bartender usually converts into tips for themselves in a sneaky way. If she touches the people with problems in the bar, she can get unique insights into what their problems are and can give them very specific advise that can help them. Cassie should be rolling in tips and loyal customers.

The police should have her touching people before they into the interrogation room

• Love 4

This show has some surprisingly creepy stuff in it, especially the basement ghost. I admit that her wisping around gave me the creeps, more so all of the lost souls wandering around the basement because of creepy doctor son and his creepy dead mom. 

I love Paul Blackthorne and could watch him cop his way around Seattle all day long. His partner seems alright, but if he and Cassie become a thing, you just know that his girlfriend will pop right up. 

Speaking of things I saw coming, I liked this episode pretty well, but the second the board guy showed up on the roof, I was like " he knows something" instantly. And when they said she was probably having an affair, I knew it was with him. He didnt do it which was a bit of a twist at least.

• Love 9

I liked last night's episode.  A few things peaked my interest.  Why didn't she pick up anything from the detective's girlfriend?  Hmmm.....maybe, because she's not dead?  

Also, why does the creepy killer dead man keep hanging around Cassie?  Is he there for comic relief?  What is his function?  

This is not spoiler, but, speculation.  Not sure if it's allowed, so, I'll put in spoiler tags. 

Spoiler

The way that Cassie describes her mom, having this talent, being an alcoholic, dying, yet NEVER speaking to her in spirit.......makes me wonder if her mom is really dead or if she faked her death and is still living somewhere.  Staying out of her daughter's life to spare her pain. 

We'll see. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This is not spoiler, but, speculation.  Not sure if it's allowed, so, I'll put in spoiler tags. 

Reveal spoiler

The way that Cassie describes her mom, having this talent, being an alcoholic, dying, yet NEVER speaking to her in spirit.......makes me wonder if her mom is really dead or if she faked her death and is still living somewhere.  Staying out of her daughter's life to spare her pain. 

We'll see. 

Spoiler

I am pretty sure they wouldn't let 2 gay guys in America raise your kid unless you were absolutely, positively dead!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:
  Hide contents

I am pretty sure they wouldn't let 2 gay guys in America raise your kid unless you were absolutely, positively dead!

Don’t know about Washington but it has not been an issue in California for years.  My neighbors, a gay couple, adopted two kids. One close to 25 years ago. San Diego actually actively encouraged same sex couples to adopt out of foster care. 

• Love 4

Why do they always cast the same actors as villains. I knew he was the culprit as soon as I saw the actor. It's the only parts he plays. Even in frivolous romcoms he's the sleazy friend or neighbor who puts a wrench in  the true love couple's ventures to unite.

• Love 6
On 5/30/2019 at 4:04 PM, walnutqueen said:

Well, the setting is in Seattle, so I guess I'll stick around for a bit.  But I think the lead was sorely miscast.

I don't know how she can be miscast as a medium. Is there a type? She seems fine in the role in my opinion. She's definitely better than Jennifer Love Hewitt was in Ghost Whisperer. I think people are expecting her to be like Allison in Medium, but this is a different character altogether.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, jmnf19 said:

I don't know how she can be miscast as a medium. Is there a type? She seems fine in the role in my opinion. She's definitely better than Jennifer Love Hewitt was in Ghost Whisperer. I think people are expecting her to be like Allison in Medium, but this is a different character altogether.

I just find her bland.  I never watched those other shows, so am not comparing her to anyone.

• Love 3

I knew Jimminy Cricket was the murderer as soon as I saw him. The cliche would be the overworked nurse and the Norman Bates angle was a little different.

I like this show. It is a little old fashioned but it killed an hour without a ridiculous shoot out. 

• Love 3
On 6/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I liked last night's episode.  A few things peaked my interest.  Why didn't she pick up anything from the detective's girlfriend?  Hmmm.....maybe, because she's not dead?  

Also, why does the creepy killer dead man keep hanging around Cassie?  Is he there for comic relief?  What is his function?  

I figured Cassie couldn't pick up anything from Damien's girlfriend simply because it would be too neat and easy. It seems they want to stretch that subplot out a bit.

Re: Creepy Killer - A former neighbor of mine actually bears a striking resemblance to the guy (we actually used to make jokes about his hiding bodies in his basement and things like that). So it's freaking me out way more than others probably are.

• Love 2

Another thing that didn't quite make sense to me...Avery could supposedly communicate with Dead Ethan because she was so close to death. But then by the end of the episode she was pronounced in remission?

7 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Another thing that didn't quite make sense to me...Avery could supposedly communicate with Dead Ethan because she was so close to death. But then by the end of the episode she was pronounced in remission?

Once a ghost starts talking to you, it is hard to get them to stop.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I figured Cassie couldn't pick up anything from Damien's girlfriend simply because it would be too neat and easy. It seems they want to stretch that subplot out a bit.

Re: Creepy Killer - A former neighbor of mine actually bears a striking resemblance to the guy (we actually used to make jokes about his hiding bodies in his basement and things like that). So it's freaking me out way more than others probably are.

I think the ghosts have to come to Cassie she can't force her gift. I like Cassie it's refreshing to see a character with powers that isn't filled with angst. NBC needs to change this show's time slot it's been postponed due to the Stanley Cup and next week it will be postponed due to the Democratic debate.

• Love 5

I've been...well, in between, on this show. Mostly because the creepy dead guy's horrible southern accent. I'm okay with pretty much everything else - even the lead's blandness. The actor is actually pretty good - I haven't seen him in anything at all, but he just can't manage a southern accent. My family's from the south, and I don't typically complain about southern accents. But jeez, this one just bugs me. I wish they hadn't made his character a southerner. It is, for me, the only really off putting thing about this series.

To me it sounds like Cassie's mom might not have been addicted to alcohol so much as she chose to drink too much for a specific purpose - to dull her senses. No less dangerous, but and obviously it killed her, but perhaps it means that Cassie wouldn't have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, and therefore drinking and working in a bar wouldn't be a problem for her. Or, if she does have addictive behavior, it might be with something completely different.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

To me it sounds like Cassie's mom might not have been addicted to alcohol so much as she chose to drink too much for a specific purpose - to dull her senses. No less dangerous, but and obviously it killed her, but perhaps it means that Cassie wouldn't have a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, and therefore drinking and working in a bar wouldn't be a problem for her. Or, if she does have addictive behavior, it might be with something completely different.

IDK if she drank herself to death - I was thinking maybe she committed suicide. That would certainly explain why Brian was so concerned with Tom putting too much pressure on Cassie.

Also, we know Brian is a doctor, thanks to Cassie's mention of his seeing patients, but we don't know what kind. Maybe he's a psychiatrist and that's how they knew her mom.

Finally, there has been no mention of a bio dad for Cassie, leading to conclude that maybe through all that drinking and avoidance, mom had casual relationships which led to a pregnancy. They have kinda hinted at that with Cassie herself, as she very often has a drink nearby and also slept with a coworker that she doesn't appear to have a relationship with.

Of course, we really haven't seen enough to know any of this, so it's just my speculation based on what we have been shown thus far.

• Love 2

Hey, crazy thought...but have we seen Will, Cassie's co-bartender, interact with anyone except her? I know we haven't seen much of him to date, but still...aside from Cassie, the only person who acknowledged him was Abigail, the dead girl. But thanks to being a ghost, we know Abigail knows things about Cassie (such as knowing she was on the phone with Tom, and prompting her to ask him to "bring the new guy"). 

We naturally assumed Abigail had seen an actual person when Cassie accused her of spying. But what if Abigail simply "spied" on Cassie's thoughts/memories? After all, after seeing her making out with Will, we next saw her in bed alone. Again, I think most of us simply assumed he had left. But what if he was never there in the first place?

I don't know what made me think this, and like I said, I know it's nutty. But for some reason I keep feeling like it wouldn't be impossible for this show.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, Jennabelle88 said:
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yes you did!

Which episode was it? I'll have to go back and find it to re-watch it apparently!

There were only 3 episodes, I am pretty sure (not positive) it was in the 2nd episode "Made of Stone", where the man finds out his wife and kid has disappeared. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:45 AM, AnimeMania said:

There were only 3 episodes, I am pretty sure (not positive) it was in the 2nd episode "Made of Stone", where the man finds out his wife and kid has disappeared. 

No, it was the first episode, with the little blonde girl hanging around Cassie's house.

On 6/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, SnarkySheep said:

The fictional stereotype is that many children can see ghosts but most lose the ability before adulthood.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/26/2019 at 6:58 PM, SnarkySheep said:

IDK if she drank herself to death - I was thinking maybe she committed suicide. That would certainly explain why Brian was so concerned with Tom putting too much pressure on Cassie.

Also, we know Brian is a doctor, thanks to Cassie's mention of his seeing patients, but we don't know what kind. Maybe he's a psychiatrist and that's how they knew her mom.

Finally, there has been no mention of a bio dad for Cassie, leading to conclude that maybe through all that drinking and avoidance, mom had casual relationships which led to a pregnancy. They have kinda hinted at that with Cassie herself, as she very often has a drink nearby and also slept with a coworker that she doesn't appear to have a relationship with.

Of course, we really haven't seen enough to know any of this, so it's just my speculation based on what we have been shown thus far.

I'm from the south too and normally bad southern accents drive me crazy. That's why I couldn't watch The Closer, despite loving Kyra.  Maybe, that's why I can't take the creepy ghost on this show seriously.  He's more like a cartoon character to me. 

Also, ref the comments about children seeing ghosts.  When I was a toddler, my parents say that I would look into space and talk to myself.  When asked, I would say that I was talking to the little angels!  I'm not kidding. I don't remember it.   I admit that I have never felt lonely.  I always feel like I'm in good company.  I no longer see angels, but, always feel a positive presence that gives me peace.  Not sure what it is. 

• Love 4

Some of the shots are weird in this show. The police Captain asks for updates and they say they don't have any and she says to let her know because they need to catch the killer ASAP. She walks away, but is still in the shot when the other cop comes in talking loudly about finding the suspect. The captain was still in earshot. You would've thought she would turn around and come back.

There was another one like that with Cassie, She asks a question, walks off and is within earshot of the answer, but doesn't come back. It's like they have instructions to leave a scene no matter what, where in real life a person wouldn't.

I'm not explaining it very well. I just thought it was odd.

• Love 3

Most mediocre, done-to-death plots ever.  And the cast is just not interesting- there isn't even a quirky tech or pathologist to look forward to. The young detective is very pretty, but he's dull. The old detective is just grim and dull. Cassie is vapid and dull. Even the ghost was dull.

I found myself repeatedly pausing on the Seattle landscape, which is so pretty (from a distance, at least).

• Love 2

Cassie broke my heart when she was talking to the addict's daughter. The visions of Mr Nightfall creeped me out. I find the lack of quirky characters refreshing.

• Love 11

The main plot was pretty predictable, I knew as soon as we saw the dead son was a good looking teenage boy that it would turn out to be revenge because of something he did, and the second kid confirmed it. I am sure that this has happened at some point in human history, but why is TV so obsessed with teenagers coming up with these elaborate as fuck plans to screw with their classmates who they hardly even know? What teenager has the time and resources to come up with these kinds of plans? Most teenage boys I know are too busy playing Fortnite or talking about who looked super hot in class yesterday to go to the trouble of buying a coffin to bury their classmate in and blackmail people to lure him into their trap or whatever. 

However, the secondary plot with Cassie was really well done and heartbreaking. I kept thinking that it would turn out the ghost mom really was murdered, but it was sadly the more realistic story that she relapsed and overdosed. It was a really sad story, but the last conversations both with the ghost and the daughter were handled really well. The connection to her deceased alcoholic mom was also a good way to give Cassie some good character bits.

• Love 9

Just started watching this show and it really needs to step up its game.

Loved the first episode, especially that final scene. I don't know if it was the set up or the song but I really got the shivers.

In the second episode my attention started slipping already. I think the focus should be on the psychic and whatever The Inbetween is and not so much on everyday police work. Also, when a guy reports his wife and child missing, why would you show him random mug shots? Won't that lead to much confusion and false accusations? It was all very hilariously random.

I also agree about the house and the job and the general lifestyle of the main character. Just like they shoved that in because being psychic alone isn't interesting in itself.

• Love 1

As a person who's been living with chronic pain since her early twenties - and only thanks to opioids is still able to work full time and live independently - I always get annoyed with the whole "addicted to drugs because of painkillers" storyline that TV loves to do these days. 

Do people get addicted? Yes, of course. But it's way fewer people IRL than the media would have you think....only about 2-4% of people who are prescribed painkillers for legit pain become addicted. The vast majority of opioid addicts either buy or steal painkillers when they don't have any pain, or else they use street drugs like fentanyl or heroin (because of course "opioid crisis" lumps together legit prescription drugs with the illegal street drugs into one big category). But TV would have you think that everyone who takes a Vicodin after surgery ends up a junkie in the bad part of town.

I still like this show, but overall IMO this was the weakest episode so far.

• Love 1

You know what would have been more interesting?

If the lead character didn't lead such an angelic life, and woke up with these visions in the pilot episode. Perhaps it would be more interesting if everyone in her life needed convincing in her abilities rather then her being flippant/casual about it. Basically, I thought this would be the premise when I first saw the trailer.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Aliferously said:

Perhaps it would be more interesting if everyone in her life needed convincing in her abilities rather then her being flippant/casual about it. Basically, I thought this would be the premise when I first saw the trailer.

Well, as far as I can tell so far, nobody actually knows except for Tom and Brian, and now Damian, right? Cassie said nobody at work knows.

(edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

I kept thinking that it would turn out the ghost mom really was murdered, but it was sadly the more realistic story that she relapsed and overdosed.

I hoped that as well.  But why would her dealer give her drugs?  She said she owed him so much money already. 

Edited by BMGepinniw
On 7/1/2019 at 6:38 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm from the south too and normally bad southern accents drive me crazy. That's why I couldn't watch The Closer, despite loving Kyra.  Maybe, that's why I can't take the creepy ghost on this show seriously.  He's more like a cartoon character to me.

I can generally live with them (and did with Kyra's), but yeah, he's way too Foghorn Leghorn for me. (forgive me if this is an ancient reference - an ex just loved that cartoon character)

I suspected the counselor because I know him only from the show Continuum where he played a fairly shady, if charismatic, guy. I kind of loved the way his expression hardened when he said he had a zero tolerance policy.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

he's way too Foghorn Leghorn for me. (forgive me if this is an ancient reference - an ex just loved that cartoon character)

Maybe they should give him some Foghorn Leghorn quotes - "Now pay attention, boy....", or, "That's a, I say that's a joke, son..."

• LOL 5
(edited)
On 7/8/2019 at 4:35 PM, Clanstarling said:

he's way too Foghorn Leghorn for me. (forgive me if this is an ancient reference - an ex just loved that cartoon character) 

He doesn't have Foghorn Leghorn's set of lungs.

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 6
On 6/21/2019 at 3:22 PM, ferjy said:

Why do they always cast the same actors as villains. I knew he was the culprit as soon as I saw the actor. It's the only parts he plays. Even in frivolous romcoms he's the sleazy friend or neighbor who puts a wrench in  the true love couple's ventures to unite.

Right?  I did too.  If they really wanted to make it a twist, cast this guy as a goody-two-shoes.  

Excited for the new episode tonight.  I agree with @Cyranetta above -- the lead actress looks and sounds so much like Amy Adams it's almost distracting.  I have the same thing with her foster father looking and sounding exactly like a young Sean Connery, but no complaint there!  I was too young to think Sean Connery was a sexy actor, but now I can see why women might have been attracted to him as a younger man. Rowr! I'd never seen this actor in anything before, and found the recitations of his acting gigs, above, rather interesting.

• Love 1

"The security cameras from the parking lot in the alley got a partial view of the attack."

The entire shooting. From multiple angles. Close up shots. What more was he expecting to see?

If Denila follows Olly to the safe house, does that mean that Denila let Olly go into the crowded campaign headquarters before following him to the safe house. That was stupid, now he has to torture him to find out what he did there.

When in Denilla house the police pick up a box of bullets and say they are going to test these to see if they match the ones used in the drive by shooting. Is that a real thing?

Cassie got incredibly handsy with that woman corpse when she pushed herself out of that mass grave.

(edited)
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

When in Denilla house the police pick up a box of bullets and say they are going to test these to see if they match the ones used in the drive by shooting. Is that a real thing?

Yeah, you have a point. They'd be able to tell if they're the same type of bullet - but unless they've been fired, I don't think they can be a ballistics match, because as I understand it, that's based on the marks made on the bullet by the barrel of the gun. So they wouldn't definitively tie those bullets to the two that were already matched (Ollie and the campaign guy).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3

I liked all the interactions between Cassie and Abigail, and also the expansion of Brian's character. Poor guy has basically been shoved in the background til now. Considering he's Tom's husband and Cassie's other dad, it's high time they did that.

• Love 6

The show is basically another Ghost Whisperer and Medium.  But, as mentioned the lead actress doesn't have the personality of the other two leads.  So far, I like it.  I miss the other two shows, so it's good to see a psychic show. 

The show is graphic and spooky at times like Medium.   GW was a little more gentle. 

Interested to see where it goes, but I'm in for this season. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I thought the scenes between Abigail and Cassie were great. I thought they wrapped up the plot with Abigail's mother was wrapped up too quickly.

I'm thinking that it isn't wrapped up - we'll see her again just as Abigail returned.

• Love 1
On 6/12/2019 at 9:52 AM, SnarkySheep said:

I live across the street from a storage facility...it's entirely because of crime dramas that I imagine horrible things inside every time I pass. This show isn't helping.

FWIW, storage facilities have lots of security cameras and people coming and going at unpredictable times. Not that anyone is paying close attention to anyone else, but it's probably not the "ideal murder room rental" that TV would have us believe.

On 7/4/2019 at 10:34 PM, tennisgurl said:

The main plot was pretty predictable, I knew as soon as we saw the dead son was a good looking teenage boy that it would turn out to be revenge because of something he did, and the second kid confirmed it. I am sure that this has happened at some point in human history,

I'm not so sure it has. A story like this, if you include the resulting multiple shotgun murders, would make major nationwide headlines. But, for two homicide detectives in Seattle, it's just another Thursday.

I mean it's a genre convention I guess, but the Seattle of iZombie seems safer than the Seattle of The Inbetween😊

• Love 1

Maybe someone can help clear this up.  The guy who was the abusive boyfriend and father of the baby was a WONDERFUL father, is that right?  But, yet he was terribly abusive to the mother.....and then, he was going to turn violent on the baby......I'm not sure I followed their story on this. 

• Love 1