Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: Survive in Style

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

The bonfires were a smart production choice - bonfires lift the heart and soothe the soul. And warm fingers and toes.

All I could think about was how their clothes were going to reek of campfire smoke for the rest of the trip.  Freezing cold with smelly clothes, and the only warm part of you is the one currently facing the fire.  And one guy who'd never had Smores said the marshmallows tasted burnt.  That's because they ARE burnt, but nobody ever acknowledges it.

Not a fan of campfires.  (In case you couldn't tell.) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 4/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, seacliffsal said:

So, I give more credit to Christian and Marni for that look than I do Hester. 

Yeah, so STOP IT, Christian--for all contestants, and let me show you the door, Marni.  Hope your schtick is working for you; it's not working for me.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

All I could think about was how their clothes were going to reek of campfire smoke for the rest of the trip.  Freezing cold with smelly clothes, and the only warm part of you is the one currently facing the fire.  And one guy who'd never had Smores said the marshmallows tasted burnt.  That's because they ARE burnt, but nobody ever acknowledges it.

Not a fan of campfires.  (In case you couldn't tell.) 

I loved camping.  After we had kids we'd go with other families.  We had a blast.  And I monitored my marshmallows carefully so they were a nice, toasty golden brown!

On topic, I agree with the comments above.  Tried to "like" a bunch but PTV wouldn't let me.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:15 PM, mightysparrow said:

I liked Hester's look but I liked it even more when John Galiano did it.

I missed it the first time but when Marni and Christian are giving her critique and say they don't like her red tarp poncho they ask to see her sketches when she mentions she has a Plan B.   When she describes the bodice she says "Like Galliano...but with cord...."

I still don't understand how her look or the other bare dresses (Tessa's was so sheer too!) were taking the "outdoor survival" portion of the task any more seriously than Afa's at the end.   

• Love 8
4 hours ago, BryroseA said:

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I really liked the filming of the runway in this episode. The lighting was really clear and gorgeous, the slo-mo dramatic model entrances with tent flaps flying in the rain, the music—it just all felt a little different and fresh from the normal runway. 

I’m not a big fan of the more gimmicky runways, usually, but this really worked for me. 🤷‍♀️

I liked it too!  I really liked the falling rain on the models tent too.   The rest of the runway, judges and contestants are covered by a large white tent.  I think it probably looked better on TV than really just sitting there on wet logs and humidity LOL.  The little touches of covering the edges of the runway with moss was great too.

• Love 3

It is totally possible to get the marshmallow toasty brown and gooey on the inside without buring them.   It is a skill.   

I am in the minority here but as I heard the challenge it was to make survival look fashionable I went for Rene for the win because she was the only one who tried to go for survival.   I spent the whole time yelling, "How is that survival?!?!?!?"   I would have kept Afa and axed Kovid because I've hated every one of his looks even that one that was on top last week.  But I thought the yellow pants weren't terrible.   

Afa to me while way, way, way too cold had the only other garment that had survival aspects as you could fish or trap with that netting.   

The desginer who wove most of a vest clearly wasn't going home because she wove most of a vest but I'd have put her in the bottom three over Afa  because her model was probably no warmer and her model was being kept modest by underwear not made for the challenge.   

It's nice you can weave part of a vest but when there is nothing else....   

• Love 12
47 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

It is totally possible to get the marshmallow toasty brown and gooey on the inside without buring them.   It is a skill.   

It is definitely a skill! You have to rotate your stick and be patient. It’s totally worth it when you end up with a lightly browned crispy outer shell and an ooey gooey center. If you get the super gigantic marshmallows and toast them the right way, you can put half a Hershey’s bar inside (other options: Reese’s peanut butter cups or Rolos).

51 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

It's nice you can weave part of a vest but when there is nothing else.... 

Yeah, that was my thought too. What she did was fine but it wasn’t an entire outfit that would cover all of her model’s bathing suit parts. 

• Love 2

but it read costume to me, like something an actress would wear in a post-apocalyptic movie

6f1b872bb3fb3eb45420783a8f9841e8--world-

Yup.

The last time I went camping I actually got paid for it as part of my job. Otherwise, uh no. Does anyone know where they were? I tried to google it but there were too many different results. The closest was in New Hampshire, which seems silly because you really don't have to go more than about 45 minutes outside the city to find woods like that.

I fully expect Little Miss Derivative to wear out her welcome sooner rather than later. When the challenges go back to regular clothes and not something that lends itself to costumes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Looking at the designs on the Bravo site, I wish Venny or Garo or both had been in the top.  I'm tired of the same designers being in the top and bottom.  They are giving us so much Kovid and Hester, and so little of the designers in the middle of the pack, some of whose designs should have gotten noticed. 

This challenge was a fail for me.  Most of the designs were uninspired, but how can they be inspired when they are freezing and sleeping on the ground?  Of course designers can be and are inspired by almost anything, but making them physically uncomfortable really is unnecessary and undesirable.  It was a terrible challenge for the models, too.  Stop with the gimmicks!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, bybrandy said:

In the early 50s, my two sisters and I could manage it on a gas stove in a tiny kitchen (all of us under 12)--without leaving a trace.  Our mother was at work and never suspected.

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Does anyone know where they were?

I thought I heard them say "Staten Island" at one point, and apparently High Rock Park on SI is wooded. Or they could have been on their way to somewhere in NJ. 

At the risk of starting WWIII, I think people are getting too pc with all this cultural appropriation talk. Using a culture as a reference is great, as long as its not done in a demeaning way. I immediately got Hester's reference for her necklace and thought it was an homage as compared to the Met gala a few years ago where celebrities's outfits generally mocked the Catholic church. 

• Love 21
45 minutes ago, sunshine23 said:

At the risk of starting WWIII, I think people are getting too pc with all this cultural appropriation talk. Using a culture as a reference is great, as long as its not done in a demeaning way. I immediately got Hester's reference for her necklace and thought it was an homage as compared to the Met gala a few years ago where celebrities's outfits generally mocked the Catholic church. 

100% agree. It's quite like saying that being blonde for any no white people would be cultural appropriation ! Sometimes, it's only because "we" like it ! Nothing more, nothing less.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, violet and green said:

It was pretty funny there was heavy rain falling on the models' tent as the runway commences and yet no rain falling on the judges and designers, though! A Hollywood rainstorm...

I came here to comment on this. I think they did have fake rain on the models tent, and it was because it was a "Hollywood rainstorm." Years and years ago, I heard some film techie types saying that even if it's raining IRL, if a movie/TV scene calls for rain, they add fake. Because real rain doesn't really show up on camera.

I also echo the WTFness of Tessa's "garment." That was wack.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, carrps said:

I heard some film techie types saying that even if it's raining IRL, if a movie/TV scene calls for rain, they add fake. Because real rain doesn't really show up on camera.

Good point; I've tried to take photo or video of a hard rainstorm and it never looks like it IS. Probably because the "raindrops" need to be a lot larger to show up on camera.

• Useful 1
21 minutes ago, dleighg said:

Good point; I've tried to take photo or video of a hard rainstorm and it never looks like it IS. Probably because the "raindrops" need to be a lot larger to show up on camera.

Yeah, it's really noticeable when you see a televised football game in the rain. In the long shots, you usually can't see the rain at all. In the closeups, you can see it much better.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, carrps said:
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, it's really noticeable when you see a televised football game in the rain. In the long shots, you usually can't see the rain at all. In the closeups, you can see it much better.

It also makes a big difference as to how the rain (real or fake) is lit. Generally I believe it's back lit...but correct me if I'm wrong about that. I'm a theater tech, not a film one.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Beden said:

It also makes a big difference as to how the rain (real or fake) is lit. Generally I believe it's back lit...but correct me if I'm wrong about that. I'm a theater tech, not a film one.

Oh, gosh, I'm not an expert at all, but that sounds good to me.😄

put me in the "expected Renee to be in the bottom" club.  to me she took a tarp and cut up a back pack so she could hang stuff off the tarp.  if you were really in survival---you'd probably keep the backpack as in and put the stuff in it...so you could walk without stuff getting in the way.  why was Tessa's look ok but Afa's not, or garo's or all the other ones that were just bungee cords?  he used more unconventional materials than most.  and they gushed over the one where the sleeping bag was cut and used as a cape and a skirt with some bandages...my personal favorite was Venny's.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, watch2much said:

put me in the "expected Renee to be in the bottom" club.  to me she took a tarp and cut up a back pack so she could hang stuff off the tarp.  if you were really in survival---you'd probably keep the backpack as in and put the stuff in it...so you could walk without stuff getting in the way.  why was Tessa's look ok but Afa's not, or garo's or all the other ones that were just bungee cords?  he used more unconventional materials than most.  and they gushed over the one where the sleeping bag was cut and used as a cape and a skirt with some bandages...my personal favorite was Venny's.

I like Venny's a lot, too. Especially after I saw the stills.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:11 PM, weightyghost said:

I don't understand (well i know why) they made such a big deal out of Afa's model being cold and Hester's model was wearing just as little. 

I hate when in unconventional challenges they give them some sort of fabric (whether it's sleeping bags, tarps, seat belts, etc) and then... complain about them using those products. 

I think this is partly because Hester's model was not in the 6 that received a closer look.  From what I understand, the judges can spend a considerable amount of time reviewing the top and bottom looks (edited out for time's sake).  So, Hester's model could be inside the tent wrapped up in a blanket. And, it's also possible that Mimi (the model) was more sensitive to cold than Hester's model.  And... it could be good DRAMA...

18 hours ago, dleighg said:

I thought I heard them say "Staten Island" at one point, and apparently High Rock Park on SI is wooded. Or they could have been on their way to somewhere in NJ. 

It was Todt Hill Woodlands on Staten Island.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, sunshine23 said:

I got it too and thought it was appropriate in this venue.  Not sure what the effect would be to wear a necklace like that to an African American wedding if you were white.  That’s where that whole “majority taking liberties with the minority” comes in by definition.  As the majority you can’t say you were doing it because you love the culture....it’s still CA by definition.  

I’m not even sure why she brought it up.  As fashion inspiration on a fashion show this doesn’t even seem relevant.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2019 at 9:53 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Did I miss Kovid saying why he’s never worked with Mimi again since the first show, when he was falling all over himself with working with a goddess incarnate and other over the top gushings? (BTW, Mimi is fierce.)

Maybe he was the slowest runner and got to the cards last?

On 4/6/2019 at 12:48 AM, heavysnaxx said:

I was also pretty shocked by how Christian and Marni were both identifying problems for certain designers - and then actually solving them for some of the contestants! Take about 10 giants steps BACK, y'all. Not cool.

I agree. The first couple of episodes Christian was giving more suggestions that I thought were good. But now he and Marni are interjecting more into the designs. Christian - probably because he’s a designer, has employees and was on PR, Marni because she’s a stylist. I hope they step back and serve to make people think, not do the thinking for them.

• Love 6
On 4/6/2019 at 8:05 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

And one guy who'd never had Smores said the marshmallows tasted burnt.  That's because they ARE burnt, but nobody ever acknowledges it

The best marshmallows are burned on the outside and mushy on the inside - many, many years of backpacking and hiking growing up!

If my fellow Girl Scouts and I had an unconventional materials challenge when we were camping in the rain we would have started with a rain poncho and added some things. Wouldn’t have been either fashion or fashion forward, but practical. Maybe that’s why Renee won? I wonder if I could have bested my other scouts?

On 4/7/2019 at 4:17 PM, simonesays said:

I think this is partly because Hester's model was not in the 6 that received a closer look.  From what I understand, the judges can spend a considerable amount of time reviewing the top and bottom looks (edited out for time's sake).  So, Hester's model could be inside the tent wrapped up in a blanket. And, it's also possible that Mimi (the model) was more sensitive to cold than Hester's model.  And... it could be good DRAMA...

I think you must mean Tessa, and not Hester, because Hester was in the top so her model would have received a closer look.

On 4/6/2019 at 3:44 AM, Love2dance said:

I am really happy that I can find pictures of the designs this season. Maybe they were available on Lifetime, but I never could find them. Here is the link, and all you have to do is cut the last number and put in the new episode number each week. Here is this week’s:

https://www.bravotv.com/project-runway/season-17/season-17/blogs/runway-recap-episode-4

Awesome, thank you!

Loved Sebastian's leaf dress and Bishme's look - that skirt is fab.

Jamall should've been in the bottom instead of Afa. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Brookside said:
4 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I really miss . . . Tim Gunn.

I don't.

yeah, I like a fresh face with Christian. The constant "Make it Work (tm)" was long in the tooth.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Who wants to bet that Sonia is out? With the exception of a few, I always feel that older women on the show are among the first few eliminated every season. 

Oh I was wrong! I'm glad actually.

Speaking of older women... when they left the hotel for the campsite, all I could think was, "What would Laura be wearing?"

I may have her name incorrect, but the elegant redhead (with classic red lipstick often) always in a dress/skirt and pumps.

• Love 3
On 4/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, TexasGal said:

I really thought Renee was on the bottom until they started gushing.  

I’m sad that Afa is gone but that look was really, really awful.

I will miss Afa.  When he received the challenge criteria and was gathering his thoughts, someone came over and blathered on and on about what they thought he should do.  That was intrusive of that fellow designer to do, and he was stupid for listening.

He seems too polite to say, "I need some quiet, I'm in a ceative space."

I was touched and moved by Kovind's reaction to finding out he was staying.  His first thought was concern for his friend, not relief for himself.  I get that in long doses he may be challenging to be around, bu I don't think anyone would question his pure heart.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PumpkinPK said:

Speaking of older women... when they left the hotel for the campsite, all I could think was, "What would Laura be wearing?"

I may have her name incorrect, but the elegant redhead (with classic red lipstick often) always in a dress/skirt and pumps.

Yeah that's Laura. I assume it would be riding pants and boots, if she still wears those. Ha but that was her more casual look she said. She wore those a couple times I can recall when they went to the park during the dog challenge, and when they went to the recycling plant for the unconventional materials challenge. 

• Love 2
On 4/7/2019 at 10:44 AM, dleighg said:

When I toured Universal Studios a million years ago, the guide said that fake rain includes milk, which makes it show up in camera. 

The More You Know. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 1