Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: Survive in Style

• Start Topic

I'm going soft, because I loved all of the episode. 

I don't know real Kovid. Edited Kovid isn't bothering me, but I've watched so much reality TV at this point I may have evolved to ignore some of the repetition. 

I liked the winning design. As someone else said it was like a costume, but I also thought it was fun, and the hood was cool. 

I didn't think the appropriation comment was all that serious or harsh. It seemed like a reasonable warning, given where we are right now in certain cultural debates. It's a debate using communication tools that facilitate shouting not dialogue. If Hester isn't careful, Twitter will destroy her, and we aren't very forgiving people lately. I guess I'm glad she got a warning. 

I hope the season keeps flowing as it has been. It's really well cast, in my opinion, with both contestants and judges, and I'm finding it fun again. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

And since when is using sleeping bags and tarps considered "unconventional"???? Back in the day, that would have landed you in the bottom for sure for playing it safe and using something that functions like material!

Last thing: How the hell is Jamall getting a pass? He throws a blanket or comforter or sleeping bag on his model EVERY.SINGLE.WEEK. And it is crap. This week, his model looked insane with the gold leaf on her lips - where the hell was Marni then? He's got to go soon........

Let's all sing together: "I need gloves, I need heat....."

"I need something better to eat!"

Loved the song.  Loved the spider drama.  Is it Jamal or Bishme who keeps doing the sleeping bag coats?  Bishme had a TH where he said that he finds puffy coats very comforting.

What a terrible idea this turned into.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, phoenix780 said:

It's a debate using communication tools that facilitate shouting not dialogue. If Hester isn't careful, Twitter will destroy her, and we aren't very forgiving people lately. I guess I'm glad she got a warning. 

I don't recall any shouting.  The judge told Becky that she was walking a thin line but came out on the right side of the line.  I don't believe she raised her voice.  As for Twitter, I don't participate myself, but I think Becky's probably already given the Twitter-crowd enough ammunition to go after her, long before she stole John Galliano's look.

Apropos of nothing, I LOVED Galliano's 'Africa' collection.  It was gorgeous, sexy, innovative and AMAZING.  Not even in Becky's wildest dreams.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

The judge told Becky that she was walking a thin line but came out on the right side of the line.  I don't believe she raised her voice. 

I think the commenter was saying that the judge gave (BECCA) a very quiet warning, but that the twitterverse will give her a LOUD beat down if she crosses that line.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Is it Jamal or Bishme who keeps doing the sleeping bag coats? 

It is Jamall. Although, this week, there were a lot of people making sleeping bag clothes. Considering that, this should have been his challenge, but his outfit was garbage. I don't know how it was safe. I definitely think it was worse than Afa's dress!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think the commenter was saying that the judge gave (BECCA) a very quiet warning, but that the twitterverse will give her a LOUD beat down if she crosses that line.

I know what the commenter was saying.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Loved Sebastian's and Venny's and I could have swarn there was one outfit that had a lovely train of green leaves, but don't recall seeing it on the runway or who the designer was.

I think the train of green leaves was Sonia's dress and then she put the mylar over it??  Although I think the "green leaves" may have actually been camoflauge material.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

I think the train of green leaves was Sonia's dress and then she put the mylar over it??  Although I think the "green leaves" may have actually been camoflauge material.

Why, Sonia, why??? You should have left well enough alone girl!!!

That would have looked so much better and fit with the topic better too.  If stuck out in the woods you would naturally use leaves to add some warmth.

• Love 4

I don't understand (well i know why) they made such a big deal out of Afa's model being cold and Hester's model was wearing just as little. 

I hate when in unconventional challenges they give them some sort of fabric (whether it's sleeping bags, tarps, seat belts, etc) and then... complain about them using those products. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

I hate when in unconventional challenges they give them some sort of fabric (whether it's sleeping bags, tarps, seat belts, etc) and then... complain about them using those products. 

I was afraid this was going to be one of those -- you can use the tent material but then YOU HAVE TO SLEEP IN THE OPEN!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

Why, Sonia, why??? You should have left well enough alone girl!!!

That would have looked so much better and fit with the topic better too.  If stuck out in the woods you would naturally use leaves to add some warmth.

Yes, I remember seeing the back of her dress (before Mylar, I guess), and thinking it was very beautiful -- looked like leaves; might have been camo.  The Mylar was not attractive, although I understand the "survival" aspect of it.

I would NOT have been a happy camper out there!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I was not a fan of this episode.  It just felt so gimmicky to me.  Oh it's unconventional materials!  Oh you're staying out in the woods! Oh your sewing room, models, and runway will also be in the woods.  It was just too much.  And it would take more thought and time for the designers to stay in the tents (find the outhouse/restroom/etc.).  I was really liking this season but this episode just felt off to me. 

I also felt that Christian and Marni saved several of the contestants.  Hester was actually designing a different look that they did not like and they directed her towards her final look.  So, I give more credit to Christian and Marni for that look than I do Hester.  This got me thinking though about the advice they all receive from them.  It also got me comparing Christian and Tim's style when it comes to mentoring.  At times it feels like Christian is doing some of the designing for the contestants when Tim would try to lead them to their own decisions about changing up their designs.

Afa was one of my favorite designers.  He expresses true joy in his life whereas I think that Kovid tries to act like he finds joy in everything.  There is a difference.  Like others I thought Renee should have been in the bottom and that Kovid should have gone home.  Yes, he has had a hard life, but I remember a couple of episodes ago when Afa stated that he didn't want his son to live in a house without electricity or running water like when he was growing up.  Most people have some sort of hardship in their lives.  I will miss Afa and hope that he gains success from his experience on the show.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that NuHeidi did not ask Afa how he felt after being eliminated which is what she said she was going to ask Nadine last week?

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I was not a fan of this episode.  It just felt so gimmicky to me.  Oh it's unconventional materials!  Oh you're staying out in the woods! Oh your sewing room, models, and runway will also be in the woods.  It was just too much.  And it would take more thought and time for the designers to stay in the tents (find the outhouse/restroom/etc.).  I was really liking this season but this episode just felt off to me. 

I also felt that Christian and Marni saved several of the contestants.  Hester was actually designing a different look that they did not like and they directed her towards her final look.  So, I give more credit to Christian and Marni for that look than I do Hester.  This got me thinking though about the advice they all receive from them.  It also got me comparing Christian and Tim's style when it comes to mentoring.  At times it feels like Christian is doing some of the designing for the contestants when Tim would try to lead them to their own decisions about changing up their designs.

Afa was one of my favorite designers.  He expresses true joy in his life whereas I think that Kovid tries to act like he finds joy in everything.  There is a difference.  Like others I thought Renee should have been in the bottom and that Kovid should have gone home.  Yes, he has had a hard life, but I remember a couple of episodes ago when Afa stated that he didn't want his son to live in a house without electricity or running water like when he was growing up.  Most people have some sort of hardship in their lives.  I will miss Afa and hope that he gains success from his experience on the show.

Oh, and did anyone else notice that NuHeidi did not ask Afa how he felt after being eliminated which is what she said she was going to ask Nadine last week?

Christian and Marni ARE co-desgners on some of these looks.  They completely saved Little Miss Sunshine.  In fact, I believe the name 'Galliano' came up when Becky and Marni were talking. 

I agree with you about Kovid giving the impression of joy instead of really feeling it.  And NotHeidi got what Nadine refused to give them; a tear-soaked farewell speech.  Afa deserved better.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I liked Hester's look but I liked it even more when John Galiano did it.

That's funny because I thought Rakan's look was VERY Galliano.  Especially the styling.

I'm devastated that Afa is gone.  His was my favourite personality.

I've agreed with the judging a LOT the first 3 episodes.  This one?  What the hell?  The top Winner and the Loser?  I wouldn't have been able to choose those if you paid me.  I like Renee but Huh?  And I have no problem with Kovid but it was the perfect opportunity to release him.  I thought PR was trying to be so much fairer this season.  They clearly don't want to give anyone 2 wins in a row and are trying to spread it out.  I'm shocked they got rid of Afa when he's NEVER been in the bottom.  Who was the person who told him to go back to his roots?  Hester?  

• Love 7
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I would NOT have been a happy camper out there!  

Seriously.  (Nice use of phrase).  It was like torture.  So stupid.  I would have been M I S E R A B L E.

3 hours ago, njbchlover said:

It was visibly noticeable that some of the models were shivering, but don't models have to be able to be ready for this?  Maybe these models are only runway models and not print models?  I've seen photo shoots of models wearing bathing suits in the snow, or they are shooting bathing suit layouts in cold ocean water.  

The model was shivering against her will.  That's a body's uncontrollable reflex to environment.  We didn't even hear 1 model complain once.  Models or not, they're still humans who are going to get cold.  No judges were shivering because they all had on like 5 layers.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, millennium said:

thanks for the clarification.   i never noticed it before.   

now it all just seems like bullshit and contrived drama with a pre-packaged ending.   live and learn. 

Aw.  Stay for the gluten free popcorn and Jar Jar Binks reincarnation!  Just because it’s contrived drama doesn’t mean it won’t be entertaining.

i will say that at least in this case, Kovid seems like a genuine hoho cake of angstsy tears and he’s not putting on just to remain on the show.  If you were as shallow as me and watched something as wretched as The Bachlor you’d see obvious famewhores who put on a dramatic acting clinic for the chance for more airtime.  That’s some contrived nonsense!  

And even in those shows it just means certain people will make it so far to keep things with a storyline but the ending is still usually driven by real decisions.

You should watch a few more episodes.  Do you need Brandon’s blanket?  A cropped sleeping bag puffer jacket?  Perhaps a plastic pot to pee pee in?

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I guess they weren't worried about Tessa' model, because Tessa was safe (so her model didn't have to stand out in the cold for too long), but I thought the same as you.  I didn't get much of a survival theme from Tessa's design, either.

And what makes me extra mad is that Afa was going one way with his design at the start (looked like a load of tarp used as a draped garment with the big flowers he made) and Tessa bigmouthed in and told him that it didn't look like him, and he should do weaving (like her, I noted). I just don't think it was his time to go. I would rather have seen Sonia go over him.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I really thought Renee was on the bottom until they started gushing.  

I’m sad that Afa is gone but that look was really, really awful.

Me too. Her model walked out and I immediately thought she’s gone. I really thought hers worst 

• Love 6

Joining the table of "I assumed Renee was in the bottom three." When she traded with Kovid for the cowhide and then proceeded to merely sling it over the model's shoulder, I thought "holy crap, it's gonna make for a good cutaway to Kovid when the judges rip her a new one for that haphazard mess!" I like Renee, but I must have missed the massive emphasis on survival over fashion when they gave the challenge parameters.

NuHeidi, the choosing of the models is NOT "random" if the designers get to look at the reverse side before choosing. I didn't realize until last week how AWFUL that model-selecting system is. Why the F do they not just put the model cards in envelopes and have a random selection after last week's winner chooses a model?

• Love 12
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

At times it feels like Christian is doing some of the designing for the contestants when Tim would try to lead them to their own decisions about changing up their designs.

That's probably because of Tim's experience as a teacher. A good teacher will lead a student to get the answer for themselves instead of just giving it to them.

That said, this isn't school, so I don't really mind Christian's mentoring style. I laughed when Sonia's model tripped and Christian was all "I told her so." He definitely keeps it real.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I was pleasantly shocked by the lack of whining over having to camp and work outside. However, I miss the genuine unconventional challenges that took place in real-world settings, where the designers were let loose in a grocery store, hardware store, candy store, etc, and had to use only those materials. For the last several seasons, they've given the designers a pile of materials chosen by the show. It seems boring and canned compared to the "in the wild" approach, and the designers don't have to be as innovative.

I would have liked it better if they had spent one day hiking and camping out and then had to dismantle their camp site the next day and use only the materials that had actually been part of the site, instead of "here's some random stuff associated with the outdoors."

I'm glad the winning look actually followed the challenge and no one whose model was cold won. Yes, technically anything can count as outdoor wear--you can even wear your birthday suit outdoors!--but the spirit of the challenge was to come up with something that could be worn camping--or at least glamping--in the woods. How does living and working in 40-degree weather inspire you to put your model in a bikini with some net over it?

• Love 8
22 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

I liked Hester's look but I liked it even more when John Galiano did it.

We've seen so many unconventional ropes in spirals to make bodices. Nothing new there! Don't know why the judges were so impressed.

• Love 8

Kovid and Hester are individuals that I would normally like watching, and want to like watching, but wow, are they making it hard. The way they’re presented it seems like they’re both just Trying. Too. Damned. Hard. Not so much gunning for camera time as it is for any scrap of attention. Their constant "Look at Meeeee!!!" affect is wearying.

It seems that the race to the model cards is so you can better your chances at getting a model that you want. Hester is giving me Jay McCarroll/Morganza vibes.  Remember those days when “Models, this is a competition for you as well”? I appreciated Christian’s comment about how she’s found her muse, in wanting to have the same model she won with.

That being said......

Did I miss Kovid saying why he’s never worked with Mimi again since the first show, when he was falling all over himself with working with a goddess incarnate and other over the top gushings? (BTW, Mimi is fierce.) Granted, maybe the producers didn’t put it in, preferring to run another tearful TH about his past – at the expense of getting to know other designers who probably have compelling stories, but who knows? We’re not getting to hear them!

That is, unless they’re about to get aufed. Afa was someone who stood out to me as someone to root for. How many times was he shown jumping in and helping another designer out? (Along with Sebastian) I was rooting for Afa, and was disappointed we didn’t get more of his background experience using tree bark and other natural materials in traditional designs. And I am so, so sad that Afa left over Kovid.

I didn’t find the judge’s comment about the fineline between cultural appreciation and cultural appropriation patronizing. It was probably the most substantive thing that she’s been shown saying IMO.

On the other hand, I am really enjoying Brandon Maxwell. And laughing that “even in the woods they found a way to do a reveal.” DRINK! (Oh wait, am I the only one playing this drinking game?)

I like Marni. I didn’t know who she was before, but I’m really enjoying her and Christian’s visit to each designer. As much as I loved Bravo Tim (the less said about the replicant on Lifetime) there’s only so much you can do with “Remember to use the Sponsor’s Accessories Wall thoughtfully!” At least with Marni you get advice that’s closer to approximating what professional designers find useful. Same with Christian. And judging by Brandon's "getting sick" over the red socks, having someone like Marni help you out just might get you into the top 3.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 minute ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Kovid and Hester are individuals that I would normally like watching, and want to like watching, but wow, are they making it hard. The way they’re presented it seems like they’re both just Trying. Too. Damned. Hard. Not so much gunning for camera time as it is for any scrap of attention. Their constant "Look at Meeeee!!!" affect is wearying.

Hester's vocal fry was on display last night.  And her "Like literally, like LITERALLY, like literally" way of speaking is like Erin all over again - remember her?  "Like, my bag, like literally had my stuff, and like you guys like literally stole like stuff from it."  AHGGGGGGGGGG!  Huge pet peeve of mine.

2 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

And judging by Brandon's "getting sick" over the red socks, having someone like Marni help you out just might get you into the top 3.

I'm sorry but that drove me crazy.  Brandon losing his mind at the peek of a red fucking sock??????? What the hell is this guy on?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 7
  • Love 9
On 4/4/2019 at 6:31 PM, MerBearStare said:

I HATED Renee's look. I have no idea why the judges loved it so much. When her model came out carrying that empty plastic jug, I was like, "It looks like she just has trash all over her."

On 4/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, TexasGal said:

I really thought Renee was on the bottom until they started gushing. 

22 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

I liked Afa’s a lot better than Renee’s. I get what he was going for, survival in the South Pacific. Her net dress could catch fish all day.

Renee’s was just a tarp with a belt and random crap hanging off of it. It looked like exactly what it was - a camping outfit done by someone who doesn’t know shit about camping.

16 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I really thought Renee was in the bottom too.  Her look was far too literal... seriously, hanging a coffee mug off it?  In previous seasons she'd have been reamed out for that.

Felt bad for Afa. 

13 hours ago, Gummo said:

3. Afa was so robbed! I thought his design was adorable and it fulfilled the requirements of the challenge, but on his terms. There are other climates in the world and there was nothing in their brief that said they had to design for a North American northeast fall/winter. 

10 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Well, boo. This is the first time this season I had a problem with the judging. Renee's model looked like a bag lady. Nothing fashionable there whatsoever. And I am bummed Afa was sent home.

5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

At times it feels like Christian is doing some of the designing for the contestants when Tim would try to lead them to their own decisions about changing up their designs.

Afa was one of my favorite designers.  He expresses true joy in his life whereas I think that Kovid tries to act like he finds joy in everything.  There is a difference.  Like others I thought Renee should have been in the bottom and that Kovid should have gone home. 

2 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Joining the table of "I assumed Renee was in the bottom three." When she traded with Kovid for the cowhide and then proceeded to merely sling it over the model's shoulder, I thought "holy crap, it's gonna make for a good cutaway to Kovid when the judges rip her a new one for that haphazard mess!" I like Renee, but I must have missed the massive emphasis on survival over fashion when they gave the challenge parameters.

Please make room for me at the Renee table, too. I like her fine but her silhouette this week was just awkward and ugly. I thought she might get auf'd for sheer lack of imagination. It was like if the challenge was to create a look that embodies NYC and she dressed her model like a big red apple with bagel earrings.

I found it a bit disturbing that none of the judges seemed to consider that Afa, as the only designer from the global south, might reasonably interpret the challenge differently from the more local designers. I loved his whole look and thought it had integrity as a concept. He drew from the same materials as the other designers to craft something beautiful with survival elements - that was the challenge. Are the judges seriously ragging on him using netting to create an arresting train while their winning look is a hacked-up tarp with a tin cup hanging off it?

I was also pretty shocked by how Christian and Marni were both identifying problems for certain designers - and then actually solving them for some of the contestants! Take about 10 giants steps BACK, y'all. Not cool.

Not a fan of this week's show at all.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I was also pretty shocked by how Christian and Marni were both identifying problems for certain designers - and then actually solving them for some of the contestants!

I disliked that last week too!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

And judging by Brandon's "getting sick" over the red socks, having someone like Marni help you out just might get you into the top 3.

I know my personal style is a genuine nothing-burger, but had NO IDEA it was only because I don't have a peek of red sock coming out of my ankle boot. 

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

I would be interested in seeing a breakdown of participant screen time. I feel like Kovid has had more screen time than everybody else combined. Maybe it just feels that way, I need to see the numbers.

I feel like I know way too much about Kovid and Hester's (understandably difficult) struggles, and both of them have personalities that grate. However,  Hester is a much better designer and stylist,  which goes a long way in making her tolerable to me. That said . . .

6 hours ago, little black cloud said:

Ugh, I find Hester so repellent. She’s terrible, y’all: She changed her hat.

88E94DC1-0FE3-407F-AF39-868E5CE02DC4.thumb.jpeg.ddce901cb59b51548a88503309e16142.jpeg

D45A8430-6054-403F-AC3D-40D7465A3CDF.thumb.jpeg.a575119996d246438e1163389cf3f85b.jpeg

But even if her personality weren’t so irritating, I still wouldn’t like looking at her. I hate her whole personal aesthetic, correctly pronounced.

Anyone else see Myrtle Urkel?

95A74886-F229-42EC-8DA0-70A8124B6E58.jpg.4337de5b1c624c69a3b06534426e9958.jpg

• LOL 6
(edited)

His little squeal of 'I get to meditate in the wOOOds!' is just one example of why I need him to tone down, a lot, or for someone to use some duct tape from this challenge to remedy the situation.

When he was loudly chanting at the crack of dawn, I expected him to be pelted with pine cones, hurled by tired, cold, hungry designers. He needs to go.

This episode was otherwise fun to watch, as even the anti-camping ones seemed to rise to the occasion and have a good time. The bonfires were a smart production choice - bonfires lift the heart and soothe the soul. And warm fingers and toes.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

And since when is using sleeping bags and tarps considered "unconventional"???? Back in the day, that would have landed you in the bottom for sure for playing it safe and using something that functions like material!

Harking back to season 3, when Keith Michael made a DRESS out of a SHEET and the judges could barely stop gushing enough to give him the win. When its unconventional materials, it seems that they pull out the "you used something fabric like to make a dress" excuse on a whim. It reminds me of "Chopped",when they say "you didn't transform the ingredient enough". Sheesh. 

11 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

NuHeidi, the choosing of the models is NOT "random" if the designers get to look at the reverse side before choosing. I didn't realize until last week how AWFUL that model-selecting system is. Why the F do they not just put the model cards in envelopes and have a random selection after last week's winner chooses a model?

The various methods of model selection have all been pretty clunky. Letting the winner choose his or hers is a nice little perk. Then either assign models randomly or rotate them through, so everyone will work with every model. The scrum for model cards is unseemly and amateurish (on the part of the producers, not the designers). 

11 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Did I miss Kovid saying why he’s never worked with Mimi again since the first show, when he was falling all over himself with working with a goddess incarnate and other over the top gushings?

Maybe someone else grabbed her card first? Maybe he'd like to work with some of the other gorgeous models who are available? Just because he liked Mimi and was happy to work with her doesn't mean he can't like anyone else. 

I haven't felt so sad about an elimination since Malan got axed in season 3. I liked Afa a lot and loved his color commentary. I keep hoping somehow he'll be brought back. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, little black cloud said:

Ugh, I find Hester so repellent. She’s terrible, y’all: She changed her hat.

But even if her personality weren’t so irritating, I still wouldn’t like looking at her. I hate her whole personal aesthetic, correctly pronounced.

Didn't she wear a new hat yesterday that said something like "KILL ME" on the front? I  know it sounds like I fantasized that, but I'm serious.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 7:31 PM, Ellaria Sand said:

Neither impressed in this challenge but, IMO, Kovid hasn’t demonstrated any real skill to date.

For some reason the "pro's" call that GOOD TV.   EGAD!      Kovid is sweet, pathetic, irritating/endearing, but is it all an act?

On 4/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, Fellaway said:

Okay, Show, I'm totally over the whole Marni... stylist... thing

She's not fun or funny.   She's supposedly "someone," so she scares the designers (the CONTESTANTS) into changing what they want to create.  Not onl did WE (and they) have to put up with her oh-so-cute quirkiness one week...we had to endure her for TWO!  Betsey Johnson has been around since the mid-60s and is still going strong.  We don't need a pale (haha) copy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:
16 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Did I miss Kovid saying why he’s never worked with Mimi again since the first show, when he was falling all over himself with working with a goddess incarnate and other over the top gushings?

Maybe someone else grabbed her card first? Maybe he'd like to work with some of the other gorgeous models who are available? Just because he liked Mimi and was happy to work with her doesn't mean he can't like anyone else. 

That's what I meant. I was hoping to hear a followup from him about that, since Mimi's story was so highlighted in the show's premiere, and now I look for her in each episode. Even a throwaway "I wish I had gotten Mimi again, but I am happy with xxx." I guess I became a Mimiphile, so I care about her fate in this competition and industry.

As you say, there are so many gorgeous models that if the producers are going to make the designers run to grab a card, it'd be great to find out a little bit more about who they're hoping to get. Otherwise, just do the button bag or make the selections off-screen.

I do love the extended episodes, and the fact that the designers are seem to be trying to help each other out. Even the disappearing "Heatherpile" was resolved smoothly, and Renee benefited from doing the trade with Kovid.

13 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I found it a bit disturbing that none of the judges seemed to consider that Afa, as the only designer from the global south, might reasonably interpret the challenge differently from the more local designers. I loved his whole look and thought it had integrity as a concept. He drew from the same materials as the other designers to craft something beautiful with survival elements - that was the challenge.

Great point, and sadly ironic given that one of the same judges talked about cultural appreciation.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Even the disappearing "Heatherpile" was resolved smoothly, and Renee benefited from doing the trade with Kovid.

I was very surprised that everyone just gave Hester back the stuff they took and apologized for it. I was expecting a fight.

• Love 3

Everyone's covered everything substantive so I'll just comment that I liked the flash of a Phillies jersey when Renee was talking about her scouting, outdoorsy sons and daughters.  Surprised the logo wasn't blurred!

OT:  @mightysparrow, love the user name!

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I was also pretty shocked by how Christian and Marni were both identifying problems for certain designers - and then actually solving them for some of the contestants! Take about 10 giants steps BACK, y'all. Not cool.

Yeah, this is bugging me a lot.  Christian and Marni (If they're going to keep her.  Ugh.) both need to learn where the line is between mentoring a designer in the right direction and outright telling them what to do.  They keep crossing it.  Listen, Show.  I've already seen what Christian can do, and I don't care what Marni can do.  I want to see what these designers can do, without undue influence.  It also creates a fundamentally uneven playing field, for good or bad, if they're telling some designers what to do and not others.

1 hour ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

That's what I meant. I was hoping to hear a followup from him about that, since Mimi's story was so highlighted in the show's premiere, and now I look for her in each episode.

Pretty sure I heard Kovid shout "Mimi!" when she appeared on the runway, even though she wasn't his model.  I think it's just luck of the card pulling that hasn't had them working together since Week 1.

1 hour ago, auntlada said:

I was very surprised that everyone just gave Hester back the stuff they took and apologized for it. I was expecting a fight.

Unlike Kovid, who grabbed Garo's mat and made off with it, even while Garo was shouting after him that it was his.  Is Kovid hard of hearing or just that oblivious?  Or just that self-centered.  I'm starting to think the latter.

The more I think about it, the less I think Renee deserved this win.  Certainly, she fulfilled the survival part of the remit.  But the chic or the fashion?  Nuh uh.  Mind you, if the apocalypse is goin' down, I'd love to be kitted out with that design, but in normal, everyday life, can you imagine someone clanking down the street in that outfit?  Me, I'd give 'em a wide berth.

And the more I think about Afa, the more I think he was unjustifiably eliminated.  His design wasn't the worst on that runway.  (I would've given the boot to Kovid or Jamall.  Step away from the down-filled, Jamall.)  And if they're gonna bring up cultural insensitivity, perhaps they should bring hemisphere sensitivity into their considerations, too.

I'm going to miss Afa.  I liked his personality, and I think he's a talented designer.  I'd certainly rather see more from him than Kovid or Jamall.

Edited by Fellaway
The OCD in me.
  • Love 13
20 hours ago, violet and green said:

And what makes me extra mad is that Afa was going one way with his design at the start (looked like a load of tarp used as a draped garment with the big flowers he made) and Tessa bigmouthed in and told him that it didn't look like him, and he should do weaving (like her, I noted). I just don't think it was his time to go. I would rather have seen Sonia go over him.

Tessa is a snake.  I think she is low-key sabotaging other designers.  In the previews for next episode, someone is calling her out for trying to oust Sebastian.  I hope that backfires on her spectacularly!  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Maybe I am easily pleased, but I really liked the filming of the runway in this episode. The lighting was really clear and gorgeous, the slo-mo dramatic model entrances with tent flaps flying in the rain, the music—it just all felt a little different and fresh from the normal runway. 

I’m not a big fan of the more gimmicky runways, usually, but this really worked for me. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 10