Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Dead To Me

My daughter-in-law strongly encouraged me to watch this.  It had me at the first scene - brought back the memories of being inundated with meals from well-meaning friends after my husband passed away 25 years ago, people who just wanted to do something to show they cared but brought food my kids wouldn't eat, in pans they wanted back, stayed a little too long.  You can't be mad, but it can be maddening all the same. Keeping track of the pans was overwhelming in the chaos you go through right after a death - so many things to take care of: funeral arrangements, flowers for it, accounts to close or change the name on, life insurance to think about, social security to deal with, etc., etc., etc., and remembering whose pan was whose was a nightmare.  

Anyway, watched it all in one day.  Well-written, two of my favorite actors, twisty plot - what more could one ask for?  I really think those two could easily have switched roles and been convincing, too.  Linda Cardellini can play a character with sharp edges, and Christina Applegate could easily be the softer (still with hidden depths) of the two.  I'll be interested to see what they do with a second season.  

• Like 6

On 6/8/2019 at 2:11 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

In my wandering mind, I was thinking Steve might have had something to do with Ed Asner's death. Wacky , I know.

Not that wacky, as I had the same thought.  It was weird to have made such a point out of Asner's character overhearing Steve & Judy's conversation, then do nothing with it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chaifan said:

It was weird to have made such a point out of Asner's character overhearing Steve & Judy's conversation, then do nothing with it. 

Yes! And, if Steve wanted to make Judy miserable for screwing him over, that would be the way to do it.

I don't think there was anything suspicious about Abe's death. I think Abe served as a sort of family figure for Judy and someone who eventually did know her deepest secret but didn't think less of her for it. I think Abe's death was more about getting Judy to her lowest point. She loses not only Jen and the boys once the truth unravels, but then finds out she's lost Abe as well and as we see becomes truly despondent and ready to end her life. 

• Like 6

I wonder if Judy is going to get busted for being in on the art gallery money laundering scheme.  She was still painting but we don’t know if she was still supplying Steve with her paintings for the gallery. If so, maybe that’s what the joint account was all about? 

• Like 2

Like some others, I also thought they turned both men into overly heavy villains so that we would have more sympathy for Judy and Jen.

And it was weird to me that neither of these woman seemed to have a single female friend outside of each other. 

I did really enjoy the series though and hope they don't make it too absurd in Season 2. I don't want to see them trying to dispose of the body and/or magically staying one step ahead of the detectives.   

2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Like some others, I also thought they turned both men into overly heavy villains so that we would have more sympathy for Judy and Jen.

And it was weird to me that neither of these woman seemed to have a single female friend outside of each other. 

I did really enjoy the series though and hope they don't make it too absurd in Season 2. I don't want to see them trying to dispose of the body and/or magically staying one step ahead of the detectives.   

Yes! I too wondered why Jen had nobody to hang with.

14 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I didn't see this as weird because both women were depressed and dealing with painful situations that could make them avoid socializing or make other friends avoid them because it's hard to know what to say to someone grieving. It makes sense to me that people in a grief support group would be drawn to each other outside of the group, because the people in the group "get it."

Also, some people do not make friends easily or tend to be loners. I am shy and insecure, though I am friendly to everyone in casual social situations. Throughout my life I have usually had only one close friend (different people at different stages of my life); I would like to have more friends, but it is difficult for me to reach out to casual acquaintances with an invitation to get together. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but since I've become comfortable with social media (including forums like this one) I have made a lot of online friends--I find it easier to communicate this way rather than in person. Sorry for the TMI in responding to your comment!

• Like 16

On 6/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, TVbitch said:

While Judy seems friendly and outgoing and is probably the type who could make friends easily, she was in an emotionally abusive relationship and Steve likely kept her isolated and dependent on him so she’d be easier to control. Steve seemed to reel Judy back in whenever he felt she was branching out a bit too much for his liking. Like when Steve finds out that Judy is living with Jen he initially appears thrown by the news. He then files the restraining order, likely trying to sabotage Judy’s friendship with Jen by making Judy seem dangerous and unstable. When that doesn’t work he revokes the order and goes back to playing nice and then onto convincing Judy to move back in with him.

Jen, on the other hand, just doesn’t seem like a people person. She's friends with Christopher but they work together. She didn't seem to have the patience for that poor neighbor lady who made her the Mexican lasagna. 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, Paloma said:

I didn't see this as weird because both women were depressed and dealing with painful situations that could make them avoid socializing or make other friends avoid them because it's hard to know what to say to someone grieving. It makes sense to me that people in a grief support group would be drawn to each other outside of the group, because the people in the group "get it."

Also, some people do not make friends easily or tend to be loners. I am shy and insecure, though I am friendly to everyone in casual social situations. Throughout my life I have usually had only one close friend (different people at different stages of my life); I would like to have more friends, but it is difficult for me to reach out to casual acquaintances with an invitation to get together. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but since I've become comfortable with social media (including forums like this one) I have made a lot of online friends--I find it easier to communicate this way rather than in person. Sorry for the TMI in responding to your comment!

I do, too. I know what you mean. 🙂 

• Like 3

On 6/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, Paloma said:

Ditto, Paloma.  It's nice to know there are others like me.  I often feel like a strange bird compared to others.

I liked the show, by the way.  The Judy character irritated me, as did Jen's older son.  Otherwise, good stuff.  I hope season 2 is even better.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Ditto, Paloma.  It's nice to know there are others like me.  I often feel like a strange bird compared to others.

I liked the show, by the way.  The Judy character irritated me, as did Jen's older son.  Otherwise, good stuff.  I hope season 2 is even better.

I'm in that camp, too! I've really only had one close friend at a time throughout my life and at the moment really don't have anyone I consider as one. So I didn't consider at all that Jen's (or Judy's) situation might be weird, especially when they've both been battered by life a bit.

For those who didn't see it, Christina Applegate got an Emmy nomination for her role. And the series was listed in the "comedy" category; just an observation there. The shows themselves pick how to categorize themselves, I believe. I could be wrong there.

Looking very much forward to Season Two!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, littlecatsfeet said:

For those who didn't see it, Christina Applegate got an Emmy nomination for her role. And the series was listed in the "comedy" category; just an observation there. The shows themselves pick how to categorize themselves, I believe. I could be wrong there.

Looking very much forward to Season Two!

While I'm glad she got a nomination, I was a little perplexed by the comedy category as well.  I can't remember who else was nominated in that category (and who was nominated in the drama category), but I can only think that the category would hurt Applegate's chances.

I happened to have the Emmy nomination page open, here are the nominees:

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
Christina Applegate, Dead to Me
Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep
Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll
Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag
Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek

I think Julia Louis Dreyfus is expected to be a shoo-in for the winner. There could always be an upset. 

Had they chosen to enter her performance in the Drama Series category, her competition would have been: 

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder
Laura Linney, Ozark
Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
Mandy Moore, This Is Us
Robin Wright, House of Cards

So her chances may have been slimmer (?) there possibly. 

Actually, I think that her chances may have been *better* in the drama category.  I'd put money on the comedy emmy going to either JLD or Rachel Brosnahan.  Not only do both of these actresses carry their shows, but they are also both play very well-defined and unique characters AND they are both past winners.  In the drama category, the only real standout I see is Sandra Oh, and her co-star is also nominated, which *could* split the vote a bit (although I would still put my money on her). 

In the end, though, I can't help but think that Christina Appelgate is fighting an uphill fight by being in the comedy category for a show that isn't funny (nor is it meant to be).  But, hey, it's an honor just to be nominated!

• Like 1

Yeah, at the risk of sounding unenlightened, I haven't watched any of the shows in the drama category except for Ozark (nope, not even Game of Thrones). So I really didn't have a good idea of what her competition was. I'm just glad Elizabeth Moss wasn't nominated, but that's a WHOLE other ball of wax, LOL. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, littlecatsfeet said:

The shows themselves pick how to categorize themselves, I believe. I could be wrong there.

It used to be that half-hour shows were classified as comedies and hour shows as dramas, but I don't know if that's been changed. 

I found this on a EW.com page, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate. The half-hour vs hour shows sounds completely plausible, but I think there must have been exceptions along the way...but after racking my brain, I can't think of any, at least any that competed for an Emmy. That being said, I'm leaning towards the agreement here that Applegate should have submitted her performance as a drama. 

How does an actor/show decide on the category? 

Actors and shows have to declare in April whether they’re doing a drama or a comedy. They then have discretion to submit themselves as a lead actor or a supporting actor, or as drama series or limited series. This is all strategic; where do they have the best chance to win?

11 minutes ago, littlecatsfeet said:

How does an actor/show decide on the category? 

Actors and shows have to declare in April whether they’re doing a drama or a comedy. They then have discretion to submit themselves as a lead actor or a supporting actor, or as drama series or limited series. This is all strategic; where do they have the best chance to win?

This doesn't make it more perplexing to me.  I think one of the measures, for lack of a better word, of a good actor in a comedy is how they make the audience laugh.  This isn't a slight to Christina Applegate--she's very funny and has a career in comedy--but this is not a funny show and she and it do not make the audience laugh much here.  That already puts her miles behind her fellow nominees, no matter who they are or what show they are from.

7 hours ago, littlecatsfeet said:

The half-hour vs hour shows sounds completely plausible, but I think there must have been exceptions along the way...but after racking my brain, I can't think of any, at least any that competed for an Emmy. 

I vaguely remember that there were some industry complaints when Desperate Housewives chose to compete in the comedy category. Many said the category was less competitive, at the time, than drama and DH was a one hour show.

There were discussions of adding a "dramedy" category, but no one took that seriously because there are already so many awards, the show would last for days, or the awards seen as less likely to hold the audience attention (cinematography, for example) would end up having even less exposure than they already do.

• Useful 1

My sister got married maybe a decade ago.  Now most of her friends are married as well.  I think I am one of maybe three of her single girl friends (and I am not sure I count).   I am not sure if it’s true with everyone but from what I have seen married people tend to hang with other married people.   So when the marriage falls apart - One way or the other it really is hard to start again because most of your friends were your friends of the unit and not the individual.  

In Jen’s case I can see how a lot of the people she spent time with with her husband just don’t know how to approach the single version of her.   Which only fans the resentment she is feeling.  I can see the use for the support group in just that it introduces her to single people.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:03 PM, mcgkgm said:

I kept expecting them to spell out at some point that the accident had caused Judy's most recent miscarriage.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but with her being so far along this time, it's where my mind went.  I thought that made the connection between J&J even more poignant. They both really did suffer a loss that night, and one that connected them to each other in yet another way.

I briefly considered it, but am pretty sure she wore a different dress in the car vs hospital scene. Although, I suppose the miscarriage could have happened a day or two later, maybe?

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:16 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Actually, I think that her chances may have been *better* in the drama category.  I'd put money on the comedy emmy going to either JLD or Rachel Brosnahan.  Not only do both of these actresses carry their shows, but they are also both play very well-defined and unique characters AND they are both past winners.  In the drama category, the only real standout I see is Sandra Oh, and her co-star is also nominated, which *could* split the vote a bit (although I would still put my money on her). 

In the end, though, I can't help but think that Christina Appelgate is fighting an uphill fight by being in the comedy category for a show that isn't funny (nor is it meant to be).  But, hey, it's an honor just to be nominated!

I have thought many of the recent Emmy winners in the comedy category are not truly comedies, so I don't think that matters much anymore. 

I actually find it irritating.  Like Mrs. Maisel.  I like the show.  I think Rachel Brosnahan is great in it. And its about stand up comedy, it has its funny moments.  But lets face it, that is a drama.  I'm not watching that show laughing my way through it every few minutes.  I've thought the same thing about Atlanta as well.  Great show, has some funny moments, but that is a comedy?  No.  This goes all the way back to Ally McBeal for me.  Comedy?  Really?  Only in the Futurama version where they made it into Single Female Lawyer.  And it wouldn't bother me so much except for the fact that show was on at the same time as The Simpsons was in its heyday and its peak, yet they never allowed it in the best comedy category because it was a cartoon.  So in essence, the important part about Best Comedy Emmys was you can't be a cartoon, but you don't really have to be that funny. 

Anyway the point being, to win a best Comedy Emmy, you don't have to be funny.  Ironically that does not seem to be a factor they consider much.   

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:49 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

This doesn't make it more perplexing to me.  I think one of the measures, for lack of a better word, of a good actor in a comedy is how they make the audience laugh.  This isn't a slight to Christina Applegate--she's very funny and has a career in comedy--but this is not a funny show and she and it do not make the audience laugh much here.  That already puts her miles behind her fellow nominees, no matter who they are or what show they are from.

See my prior response, not sure that matters much, making people laugh

Though I will say in regard to Rachel Brosnahan that I mentioned, she does make me laugh when he does her stand up.  It just so happens though that is like maybe 5% of the whole show, if that.