Type keyword(s) to search

Animal ER - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was upset that two puppies (that teeny Chihuahua Chico and a Bichon) had broken legs because of children. Chico was stepped on by a toddler and the Bichon was being held by a child and jumped. Kids, especially young ones, need to be supervised around pets. Chico’s cast was bigger than he was!

The host mentioned the elaborate treatment the horse getting gelded in the first episode got. Like me, he must watch Dr. Pol or the Yukon Vet just whack those balls off in the field! 😆As the vets noted, the horse was 18 years old so he needed more care.

17 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Let’s discuss the new NatGeoWild series!

Saw your post in Dr Pol - guess this means I'll at least have to watch the episodes I recorded this weekend 😉 so far all I've watched was a short portion of a puppy who swallowed a couple bones that they managed to retrieve with an endoscope rather than surgery and that had me wanting to watch more when I get the chance

• Love 1

first, this is not live. It's all pre-recorded (how else did they know the cat didn't have cancer? Oops!)

and secondly, it's freaking boring. SO boring. So annoyingly boring. I love animal shows and watch nearly all of them but couldn't stomach more than a few minutes at a time of this one. I kept feeling guilty for not liking it and going back to it to only get annoyed and change channels again.

What did it for me was that poor bloated bull. Why were they doing the tube down the throat thing when it was obvious to all and sundry that he needed a trocar badly? And then they did the needle one and not a proper one? I felt so badly for that bull.

I guess this just isn't gonna be 'my show'

• Love 1

I even love the Vet Life (can't wait for it to come back) but this mess? Who are they fooling? It was so DULL and it insulted the intelligence of the audience with the fake-experts there to 'explain' what we were seeing. We've seen vets chop balls off in parking lots and load the horse back on the trailer afterward. Older horses at that. Why this one need an equine hospital with OR and sheets and everything? It's. Just. Gelding. Takes a minute, tops.

• Love 2

I was wondering why the vet didn’t put that release valve thing into that poor bull. I’ve seen Drs. Pol, Emily, and Brenda do it often enough.

To be fair, the host does mention that some segments were pre-recorded.

Guess I’m the only one who likes the show. Whatever.

• Love 2

This was a swing and a miss for me.  I love animals and am interested in the practice of medicine, so I like most veterinary shows, but this one did not click at all with me.  The format was really weird, and perhaps that proved too distracting.  I don't know, it just never drew me in and wound up being something I watched during commercial breaks of something else.

• Love 1

It's filmed live, whatever that means in this context, but clearly isn't live while we're watching it.  I found the segments much too short.  Just as I was beginning to get interested in a case, they switched to another ER.  And yeah, the gelding was such overkill compared to all the other vet shows we watch.

• Love 2

I watch all of the vet shows, so was excited when I saw the ads for this. Unfortunately, I too found it mostly dull, dull, dull. I'll give it another go, though, because maybe they're still getting their footing. People want to see the results, so I'm not sure the "Live" aspect would ever be successful. What I would like to see is stories from all of these ERs.

The one segment I found fascinating was the gelding of the horse. I too was like all of that for gelding after watching other vets do it in minutes out in the field. I suspect that was a very, very expensive horse (warmblood maybe?) Surgery on a horse in a complicated undertaking, so watching the preparation (speculum in order to see to get the intubation, the crane to lift the horse by the legs, risk of damage if the horse is in the position too long, etc.) utterly fascinating.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think they're trying to copy the successful format of Live PD. It's not working.

Weirdly, because I watch so many animal vet shows, the two experts don't tell me much I don't already know - other TV vets have already encountered these issues and resolved and explained them. Too much vet-splaining, not enough action. The Atlanta vet is kind of funny however.

Agree with the others that the poor suffering bull appeared to need the trocar procedure. As shown, the vet appeared to take forever to treat him. It was the location and logistics that slowed everything down. I hated seeing that poor bull suffer unnecessarily, all while everyone is murmuring to him "it's all right, it's all right."

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 1

When I was watching, I couldn't pay attention to anything the black vet 'expert' said. I was too busy looking at his lips and wondering if he plays trumpet or trombone? He has trumpet player's lips. When you play for a decade or more? You get those lips...

Sadly, that's all I got out of it. Dang it. I really wanted to like this show!

The (hot) vet giving the piglet mouth to snout was amazing! That’s going the extra  mile. Had to laugh at the little piggy going around to the wrong side of poor mum pig. 

I like the show, seeing all the different cases.

• Love 1
(edited)

That poor tiny kitten that had to have his leg amputated! What a rough beginning to life. How on earth did it get near the rats?  Somebody wasn’t paying attention. 😡

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

That poor tiny kitten that had to have his leg amputated! What a rough beginning to life. How on earth did it get near the rats?  Somebody wasn’t paying attentio. 😡

It was probably walking on top of (or very near) the rat cage, and they just grabbed a paw and pulled it's leg through.  It shouldn't have happened.

• Love 1