Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E01: Sally Field, Bill Pullman, Keeley Hawes, Matt Lucas, The Lumineers.

• Start Topic

Graham returns to the BBC April 5, 2019.

Among the guests on Graham's sofa tonight are double Academy Award-winner Sally Field and Hollywood star Bill Pullman, together on stage in Arthur Miller's play All My Sons, Bodyguard star Keeley Hawes, in new BBC drama Summer of Rockets, and comedian and actor Matt Lucas. Plus music from The Lumineers.

Bill Pullman sounded a little slurred to me.

I watched The Bodyguard and enjoyed it, but I have to say I don't understand why it was such a success. The reason for the whole thing was kind of dumb, I thought, and not very creative.

• Love 1

It's interesting that BBC America went with showing Keeley talking about Summer of Rockets instead of The Durrells. I haven't heard of any plans for Summer of Rockets to air in America whereas The Durrells is already shown here. Also both Keeley and Sally talked about The Durrells. 

• Love 1
On 4/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, dubbel zout said:

I watched The Bodyguard and enjoyed it, but I have to say I don't understand why it was such a success. The reason for the whole thing was kind of dumb, I thought, and not very creative.

I think UKers have a tabloidy fascination with the sex lives of their pols. This, I think, extends to fictional ones. Plus Hawes's character was closely related in age to the woman who was Home Secretary (and has a different cabinet position now). 

• Love 2

I'm a big fan of Bill Pullman, but he didn't seem to get the whole concept of Graham's show, that the couch should interact with one another, not just the host.

I had never heard of the Lumineers and was impressed.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, msrachelj said:

sally field is insufferable. 

At least this time when she interrupted she didn't monopolize someone else's time. I think every time she interrupted it was about being a fan of Keeley's characters, but Keeley still got plenty of story time. 

Also can I say, as an American, I never once thought he was calling her mom. I found it funny that even with Keeley's accent it still sounded like mom instead of ma'am. 

• Love 2

When the Lumineers came onto the couch, I said to my father that this guy looked like Woody Harrelson. Then a couple of minutes later, Graham mentioned it too. Made me chuckle.  

• Love 1
On 5/9/2019 at 4:01 AM, GSManiac said:

When the Lumineers came onto the couch, I said to my father that this guy looked like Woody Harrelson. Then a couple of minutes later, Graham mentioned it too. Made me chuckle.  

Yes, I said to my sister that he looked like Woody Harrelson, then when I was looking away from the TV, she pointed at the screen, and there were the side-by-side pics.

I didn't particularly enjoy this ep. Pullman was kind of a dud. Sally Field seemed a little obtuse, for instance not getting that Graham was joking about Keely's character dying in Bodyguard. Matt Lucas is always kind of fun, and I liked seeing the clip of him in Les Miz. Keely... whatever.

I have to say that the clip from Mrs Doubtfire of Sally reacting to Robin's revelation was hilarious. She was really good in that.

I am in the middle of watching Bodyguard. I'm obviously misremembering what was said on this ep because I thought Keely was promoting the new season of Bodyguard. I came back here to refresh my memory, but that didn't help. This old brain of mine doesn't always work very well.

21 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I am in the middle of watching Bodyguard. I'm obviously misremembering what was said on this ep because I thought Keely was promoting the new season of Bodyguard. I came back here to refresh my memory, but that didn't help. This old brain of mine doesn't always work very well.

She's in a lot this year but given the timing, I think she was promoting the Durrels in Corfu. But I also think she mentioned another series that's airing now.

They did talk about The Bodyguard a not insignificant amount, though.  Just not the second season. 

Spoiler

She wouldn't be in it anyway.