Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E17: Kit Harington / Sara Bareilles

• Start Topic

(edited)
11 hours ago, possibilities said:

Madison was a hotbed of lesbian revolution for decades (maybe still is, I don't know), but I can't vouch for the rest of WI.

Madison is it’s own little world. The rest of the state just elected an ultra conservative court justice. We put Trump over the top, baby. It’s not a great place to be different. 

I was hoping for a What’s Up With That sketch if just to see Jason’s  goofy dancing one more time. 

Edited by Quickbeam
  • Love 2

I love that Melissa always plays the enthusiastic commentator to the crazy that is happening.  The Bachelorette striptease and the Adam Driver sketch where he was the old land baron. She really has a that down. 

I loved the fact that the MJ performer still kept the MJ wig and then put a white Frank Sinatra wig over it! I was dying.

I loved that Kit was all in for everything.  I just missed that Keenan wasn't in many sketches. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yeah, I grew up just outside of Madison, so I tend to think of Wisconsin as progressive/liberal.  Once Walker was elected governor, things went downhill.  I'm very sad about my home state.

I've never watched GoT, but I've heard of Kit Harrington.  Shallow comment, but not as handsome without the beard!  He was a good sport in all the sketches, though.  Enjoyed Sara Bareilles and hearing a musical guest who can actually sing.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, laffytaffy997 said:

I’m probably one of the few people who has never really watched L&O (I’ve only seen parts of Several episodes). So when they did they SVU bit, I was like “Ice-T really talks like that on the show? I thought mulaney was just exaggerating” 

Nope, he really does talk like that and is used as the audience surrogate to ask questions about subjects a veteran sex crime detective should already know. Although I do think they wrote his part in the sketch specifically because of how famous Mulaney's bit has become.

I didn't remember until someone pointed out online that it is amusing that Kit's wife Rose Leslie is asking him what they're going to do for money now that the show is over, considering she actually comes from Scottish aristocracy IRL and was raised in a castle! It makes her playing Gwen the maid on Downton Abbey ironic.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

WU: .... He may not be Jebediah Atkinson, but I loved the film critic character. He was weird, but he just got better as it went on.

So true. It started out iffy for me, but the lines got really good, and Alex was hilarious.

Office Nerds: This was silly, but probably the weakest sketch so far. 

Man, I disagree. I loved this sketch. I thought they nailed the characters, and their little battle performance was great. Huzzah!

I agree with everyone about Kit being so game for everything. I didn't particularly like him in the monologue, so I worried that he would be a dud. But he did great.

I absolutely LOVED the Nephew Pageant. Everything was perfect. I esp liked Aidy and Cecily. This sketch reminded me of the men-in-dog-show sketch. BTW, what was in the bouquet that the winner received?

The GoT parodies were all terrific. Not sure which was my favorite, maybe Arya as Daria.

The Frank Sinatra/Michael Jackson cruise ship sketch was a good concept, but I didn't really like how it was written. It kinda fell flat for me.

The Earth War 3 VR sketch was outstanding. I don't play video games, but that didn't matter. Loved this one.

The Day in the Life of Theresa May was good, but there was one misstep: She should have been putting vinegar, not ketchup, on her fish and chips.

My least favorite sketch was the proctologist sketch. Yes, it was funny when Leslie entered with those long nails, but it got really uncomfortable for me when the doctor, et al were trying to force the patient to submit to the exam. The Undercover Boss twist helped, but I still didn't like this.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, callmebetty said:

I love that Melissa always plays the enthusiastic commentator to the crazy that is happening.  The Bachelorette striptease and the Adam Driver sketch where he was the old land baron. She really has a that down. 

I loved the fact that the MJ performer still kept the MJ wig and then put a white Frank Sinatra wig over it! I was dying.

I loved that Kit was all in for everything.  I just missed that Keenan wasn't in many sketches. 

I was thankful that wasn't on  SNL YouTube or something because the MJ fans would go crazy if that happened. I checked SNL YouTube clips and they made the right call. I don't mind it either way, but knowing those fans, they would go hostile on SNL. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, jcin617 said:

The no-beard, non-curly haired Kit is a stranger to me. 

For me Kit's voice is off as well. It's higher and more posh which doesn't work for me at all. 

I loved the episode. Very proud of Kit. He was such a good sport. 

For people who don't want to watch the entire GOT series, I suggest start watching at S6 -episode 9 - the Battle of the Bastards and just go on from there. This is the closest thing to seeing a medieval battle without people or horses actually getting killed IRL. 

Edited by Macbeth
  • Love 1

I started cracking up when I recognized the animation style of the Arya spinoff before the voice-over sealed it with the pronunciation of her name. And having Hargitay and Ice-T appear for the GOT:SVU promo was perfect!

Sara Bareilles was definitely the best musical guest they've had on in ages. I'm not sure when the last time was that I used the rewind button rather than fast-forward for a song on SNL, but Mick Jagger is the most recent possibility and that was seven years ago.

• Love 7

For the fans of Sara Bareilles, there are a number of YT clips of her as Jenna in Waitress. Besides being a talented singer and songwriter, she's a funny actress and was very winning as Jenna.

I think the Kit Harington/Bareilles combo was good because both of them seem like very natural, unpretentious performers. Kit's sketches were so out there but he was a good sport about them. And also, can you imagine if they got a really tall musical performer like Taylor Swift to stand next to the tiny Harington? 

• Love 3

Sara Bareilles is awesome because she's petty.  Her two biggest hits were written as a middle finger to the record executives.  She also writes amazing music.  All this weird alternative stuff they've had on lately I've fast forwarded through.  I'm glad they used her in a skit as well as her two new songs.

I loved the GOT skit.  Kit needs his beard back.  I barely knew that was him in the nephews skit.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I didn't remember until someone pointed out online that it is amusing that Kit's wife Rose Leslie is asking him what they're going to do for money now that the show is over, considering she actually comes from Scottish aristocracy IRL and was raised in a castle! It makes her playing Gwen the maid on Downton Abbey ironic.

I was expecting Kit to point out that Rose Leslie is working on The Good Fight. If it were an NBC show I think they might have mentioned it.

22 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And now Kit Harrington doing burlesque, for the ladies. This man is fearless. And in comes Kate as a weird burlesque teacher to make it better. And Melissa being his sister was the perfect twist. Like, oh my god.

The twist didn't work for me because there was no escalation -- Melissa started with I WANT TO SEE HIS BODY and it didn't build or get any reaction from other characters until the reveal. Either Kit or Cecily should have had some reaction that would have made the reveal more shocking because they knew. Or Aidy and Leslie should have reacted to Melissa before and after the reveal. As it was I found it anticlimactic.

• Love 3
(edited)

Watched all the sketches earlier...I don't know if Kit would be best served hosting again (although his energy and commitment were a big reason the episode worked as well as it did), but I hope we can at least see him make some guest appearances. He fit into the show much better than I would have expected.

I probably enjoyed the VR/NPC sketch the most. It didn't go on too long, and managed to be funny while still getting an idea across. I don't play games much in recent years, but I could still tell the bad and unnatural cut scenes from my years with FMV games. Kit and Mikey were perfect, and the bit where Pete kept punching Kit's NPC only for nothing to happen was very clever. 

I also enjoyed the office sketch, although I'll admit I thought it was unfunny until they got to the "duplication spell" jokes and exposed their boss as a perv. That part I thought was genuinely laugh out loud funny, which is rare for me with the show in more recent years. I saw that a lot of D&D fans are upset about the sketch, that a comedy show still sees them this way, that they only see D&D or table games fans as male and they don't respect that there are women in the fandom, and don't respect that the men aren't all nerdy, and so on. I doubt that was the intent (I'm pretty sure Kyle Mooney wrote this and seemingly his entire comedy career has revolved around exploring and embracing weirdness, not tearing it down), but I suppose it can feel this way, especially if you actually believed the media hype that nerd culture had taken over, rather than the reality, which is that social media overinflates and disorients you into feeling that what you follow is what everyone else follows. The best I can say is that once you try to accept mass media is always going to go for an easier laugh (and in many cases, much more viciously than this sketch), the more settled you'll be. You have to just try to let this stuff go, or just stop watching or following the show. I learned that with some of the homophobic sketches over the years. To use the cliche phrase, it is what it is. And this nerd sketch was nowhere near the level of sketches like the infamous "Get a life" with William Shatner (boy imagine if that aired today...). 

The nephew pageant, colon exam, and burlesque sketches worked for me because the cast gave their all, which helped to sell the weirdness. Aidy was such grounded weirdness (giving me SCTV vibes) in the nephew sketch, while Melissa and Kate were great in the burlesque sketch (Kit also did a good job). That sketch was the perfect use of Melissa's offbeat delivery that usually hinders her outside of impressions. Leslie, Cicely and Kit made the colon stuff seem fun. I still don't think Leslie is wonderful in sketches but she's come a long way - the breaking and tripping over her lines is becoming more and more infrequent. 

The cruise ship sketch was amusing when they would focus on the band or even on Kit's MJ impression, but not so much when they would keep showing the people at the table. This sketch is one of the classic examples when people talk about sketches that needlessly explain and oversell. The setup wasn't really there even with the overselling, and Heidi/Leslie/Beck didn't seem to know how to play it. The main takeaway for me was realizing how much less they've used Heidi this season compared to last season. 

I thought Alex Moffat's WU reviewer was very funny, but I kind of hope this is a one-time character as we pretty much got the whole joke. Kenan's Charles Barkley was alright, but mostly felt like another hint this is Kenan's last season.

I felt like the Theresa May film was Hillary all over again, with the themes of the Hillary impression put onto someone many American viewers have never heard of. I saw a tweet saying that SNL can only write women in politics as being badass. I don't think that's true, but I do think that both Hillary and Theresa May are put under the umbrella of being tough but not tough enough, being broken by society, and trying to keep themselves together, as we are invited to laugh at them and pity them. I didn't really connect to this piece, I thought it was somewhat dishonest (even if it was revealed to all be her dream), but Kate McKinnon did well with the material. Reading some of the reviews - one even said they were near tears - reminds me of what a special bond McKinnon has developed with many fans, and how much the reception of her material is based on that bond. 

The heavier emphasis on bro or geeky guy type material with Kit as host was such a contrast to the Theresa May piece that it made me wonder what the feel of the show will be as McKinnon, Aidy and Cecily head into what will likely be their last seasons. Leslie has her own unique presence, but Heidi, Melissa and Ego do not (and I'm not entirely sure whether they'll all be on for another season). You have such distinct types of comedy from Beck/Kyle and Alex/Mikey that is taking up its own place on the show. Even if Beck and Kyle are also heading into their last seasons, Mikey in particular is taking up a pretty strong role, with Alex not far behind. Then there's Pete in his own corner, and with Che and Jost, a very heavy male perspective at WU. For the first time since, I guess, Kristen Wiig became so popular (or, going further back, when Tina and then Amy became so popular), the show is likely heading into being more male-defined. It will be interesting to see how the fans who have grown used to a very different tone over the last 10-15+ years will react.

Anyway, here is a report from dress rehearsal:

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Geez.  I didn't know that.

It had been nagging at me that something seemed familiar about Kit in the burlesque sketch and I couldn't place it until this morning. His delivery reminded me of Christian Bale's in that infamous American Psycho scene where he monologued about Huey Lewis while prepping to murder Jared Leto with the ax and raincoat.

• Love 1

Kit seemed to be a tiny man. Especially without all his GoT furs and facial hair.

Overall this ep was kind of meh, IMO. Not because of Kit, he was fine. It just felt a bit sterile.

The cruise ship Sinatra thing had the most potential, but something was off. Maybe the set up required too much explanation and context.  Plus for some people, MJ is a difficult subject even in a skit like that one.

I actually like Rose's question in the monologue, because yeah, that's legit. You have these shows that are huge cultural hits, then no one beyond a lead or two is heard from again.

The colonoscopy skit weirdly played down Leslie's nails. Forget everything else, how the hell do you stick those fingers anywhere? ESPECIALLY where they were going.

The Theresa May film came out of left field and really slowed the whole show down.

They need to more clearly announce the musical guests. I rarely know who any of them are (yes, I'm old) and I can't understand their names unless I look at the guide. Get off my lawn (shaking fist)!

Was Kit in every sketch (except WU and the Teresa May thing)?

His monologue was amusing, and he was clearly game to do anything.  Some of the sketches worked and some didn't, but not because he wasn't up for it.  And comedy does seem to be something he's good at, generally.

My favorite was the GOT prequels, sequels, spin-offs and crossovers.  Loved that the football player in "Arya" was actually Brittany's boyfriend from "Daria", and of course, "Game of Thrones: Special Victims Unit" with Ice T and Mariska Hargitay.

On 4/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, vb68 said:

It really was weird but in a good way. I meant to mention that I have been watching this show for so long that it reminded me of one of my favorite Jan Hooks' sketches called "Miss Self Esteem USA". Very similar approach.

It made me think of the Daddy Show from Matt Damon's episode.

• Love 2
On 4/7/2019 at 7:24 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Yeah, ditto comments upthread, if I hadn't been aware ahead of time that guy was Kit Harrington I wouldn't have recognized him. But wow does he bear an amazing resemblance to a young G.W. Bush. He should work on his Texas drawl and get something going in Hollywood on that front.

Heh, I might actually watch GOT: SVU. Despite Olivia Benson.

During the Sinatra/MJ skit he looked too much like Corey Feldman, who had dressed like that at one point in time. Unfortunately, I couldn't unsee the resemblance for the rest of the show and it irrationally affected my viewing! 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

During the Sinatra/MJ skit he looked too much like Corey Feldman, who had dressed like that at one point in time. Unfortunately, I couldn't unsee the resemblance for the rest of the show and it irrationally affected my viewing! 

I thought I was the only one that saw that, too. Find a YouTube video of Corey Feldman doing his MJ performance from the late 1980s. It's really uncanny. Frankly, I was surprised they went there considering the subject matter. 

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It made me think of the Daddy Show from Matt Damon's episode.

Written by the same writer, Anna Drezen. The Daddy Show sketch she wrote with James Anderson; this one she wrote with Aidy Bryant. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The stripper sketch had the best ending, and was one of the few sketches I've seen that has known what to do with Melissa's flat vocal delivery 

My thought exactly!  Her delivery usually detracts from every sketch she's in, and makes it seem like I'm watching a middle school performance, but occasionally they manage to find a skit where her voice fits perfectly.  This was one, but none will ever beat the not-good-at-dirty-talking skits; the original with Aziz Ansari had me laughing so hard I started crying!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

He was in the May film (as Winston Churchill). 

I think the only one he wasn't in was the cold open. 

It's always interesting to wonder about why some hosts are in tons of skits and some aren't, especially since this season, from what I've seen, everyone has seemed to be up for the challenge and aren't desperately incapable celebs cast for a quick ratings juice. I guess in Kit's case they may have wanted to show him as much as possible because he's a lead on one of the biggest TV shows of many years. And then he did nothing to prove he needed to be sidelined. 

6 hours ago, Ottis said:

The Theresa May film came out of left field and really slowed the whole show down.

They need to more clearly announce the musical guests. I rarely know who any of them are (yes, I'm old) and I can't understand their names unless I look at the guide. Get off my lawn (shaking fist)!

I've never been a big Darrell Hammond fan at the best of times, but his lifeless and at times garbled delivery takes away so much of the pep that Don Pardo had at his best.

• Love 1
On 4/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I was thankful that wasn't on  SNL YouTube or something because the MJ fans would go crazy if that happened. I checked SNL YouTube clips and they made the right call. I don't mind it either way, but knowing those fans, they would go hostile on SNL. 

SNL very rarely, if ever, puts the sketches that use copyrighted music on YouTube.

15 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

The heavier emphasis on bro or geeky guy type material with Kit as host was such a contrast to the Theresa May piece that it made me wonder what the feel of the show will be as McKinnon, Aidy and Cecily head into what will likely be their last seasons. Leslie has her own unique presence, but Heidi, Melissa and Ego do not (and I'm not entirely sure whether they'll all be on for another season). You have such distinct types of comedy from Beck/Kyle and Alex/Mikey that is taking up its own place on the show. Even if Beck and Kyle are also heading into their last seasons, Mikey in particular is taking up a pretty strong role, with Alex not far behind. Then there's Pete in his own corner, and with Che and Jost, a very heavy male perspective at WU. For the first time since, I guess, Kristen Wiig became so popular (or, going further back, when Tina and then Amy became so popular), the show is likely heading into being more male-defined. It will be interesting to see how the fans who have grown used to a very different tone over the last 10-15+ years will react.

I hadn't really thought about it until you said it, but I'm worried that we're about to enter a dry spell where the female cast is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate leaves at the end of the year, and I don't see us getting more than another season out of Cecily and Aidy. I really like Heidi and think she's on track to making herself indispensable when some of the more veteran ladies leave, but other than that we're left in pretty dire straits. Whatever one thinks of Melissa and Ego, they really struggle for screentime and it's foolish to pretend they're going to get written for more just because there are fewer women/they will be the more experienced cast members against whatever women are hired next. Leslie's always gonna Leslie--love her or hate her she kinda only has one lane.

This show has always struggled to continuously invest in a female cast. When we are in times where we've got a few ladies that really dominate, it's not until they leave that the show realizes they've got shoes to fill. The worst in my lifetime was after Tina, Amy, and Maya left and Kristen might as well have been the only woman on the show for all any of her contemporary women got to do.

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

As mentioned upthread, Kit was Churchill in the Theresa May sketch. Hosts are usually in everything except the cold open and WU, and maybe the occasional filmed piece. If they're in anything less than that, something has gone terribly wrong.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

SNL very rarely, if ever, puts the sketches that use copyrighted music on YouTube.

I hadn't really thought about it until you said it, but I'm worried that we're about to enter a dry spell where the female cast is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if Kate leaves at the end of the year, and I don't see us getting more than another season out of Cecily and Aidy. I really like Heidi and think she's on track to making herself indispensable when some of the more veteran ladies leave, but other than that we're left in pretty dire straits. Whatever one thinks of Melissa and Ego, they really struggle for screentime and it's foolish to pretend they're going to get written for more just because there are fewer women/they will be the more experienced cast members against whatever women are hired next. Leslie's always gonna Leslie--love her or hate her she kinda only has one lane.

This show has always struggled to continuously invest in a female cast. When we are in times where we've got a few ladies that really dominate, it's not until they leave that the show realizes they've got shoes to fill. The worst in my lifetime was after Tina, Amy, and Maya left and Kristen might as well have been the only woman on the show for all any of her contemporary women got to do.

I wasn't watching that often in the Wiig years but I remember a lot of backlash (I probably felt some myself as her recurring characters, mainly the Target Lady, pushed all my buttons), Other than Nasim Pedrad (who didn't really seem to have a large role) and Vanessa Bayer (who seemed to be more of a mid-player compared to Kate or Kristen), did any women between Kristen and Kate survive very long? I notice that Lorne and the show don't seem to go as overboard with praise for Kate as they did with Kristen, maybe because they want to avoid the backlash this time, but she does seem to be the face for female players most of this decade, to the point where some say she's the only funny person on the show, and so on.

I think Heidi has tons of potential, as she reminds me a lot of the late '80s ladies, but her lack of use this season compared to last makes me wonder what their plans are for her. 

I don't think Kate will leave yet - if Kenan is going I think they'd want her to at least wait one more season - but the show will be in a pickle when she does, even though I kind of think she's reached her natural conclusion. I know Aidy said she wants to stay but with all the praise Shrill has gotten you'd think next season will be her last. 

I don't know if Cecily is doing other things but I'd be happy to see her stay a long time...I doubt she's making her career decisions based on my posts though.

13 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I've never been a big Darrell Hammond fan at the best of times, but his lifeless and at times garbled delivery takes away so much of the pep that Don Pardo had at his best.

That's interesting. I've never noticed that because I FF through the opening montage. I was referring to when the guest host introduces the musical act. I heard Kit say it twice and I still didn't get anything close to her actual name. 

8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I wasn't watching that often in the Wiig years but I remember a lot of backlash (I probably felt some myself as her recurring characters, mainly the Target Lady, pushed all my buttons),

I FF'd through every single Target skit! I *did* always enjoy the skit with the singing sisters, when Kristin played the sister with the tiny hands. Have they ever brought that back and positioned her as Trump's long lost sister?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Ottis said:

That's interesting. I've never noticed that because I FF through the opening montage. I was referring to when the guest host introduces the musical act. I heard Kit say it twice and I still didn't get anything close to her actual name. 

I tend to watch the opening montage if it has a sequence I like (usually one that doesn't involve generic headshots - not fond of those). I see what you mean now. He seemed to be going for the dramatic flourish. It reminded me a bit of John Mulaney's bit about Patrick Stewart introducing Salt n Pepa.

• Love 2

Kit Harrington told Seth Meyers last night that when he first got to SNL last week that they asked him if he had any special skill or something he wanted to show off. He said no, but he was more than willing to do any controversial sketches or anything they had been trying to get on air that nobody would touch. He was laughing that they took him up on that.

He also confirmed they shaved him for the sketches.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Kit Harrington told Seth Meyers last night that when he first got to SNL last week that they asked him if he had any special skill or something he wanted to show off. He said no, but he was more than willing to do any controversial sketches or anything they had been trying to get on air that nobody would touch. He was laughing that they took him up on that.

He also confirmed they shaved him for the sketches.

I'm glad you mentioned this as the video on Seth's channel doesn't and I wouldn't have known.

I wonder if this is why some hosts don't show up that much in sketches.

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 7:33 PM, Pete Martell said:

He was in the May film (as Winston Churchill). 

That was Kit?  Wow, I clearly didn't recognize him.

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 8:23 PM, helenamonster said:

Hosts are usually in everything except the cold open and WU, and maybe the occasional filmed piece. If they're in anything less than that, something has gone terribly wrong.

I've seen a lot of shows where they weren't in a lot of the sketches.  Maybe not so much this season though.  (I wanna say Halsey wasn't, but I didn't watch the rerun, so I wouldn't swear to that.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That was Kit?  Wow, I clearly didn't recognize him.

I've seen a lot of shows where they weren't in a lot of the sketches.  Maybe not so much this season though.  (I wanna say Halsey wasn't, but I didn't watch the rerun, so I wouldn't swear to that.)

I think I remember people saying Claire Foy and Rachel Brosnahan weren't.

I did think it was a nice little nod that former Wild N Out cast members Mikey and Pete were part of the GOT parody Wildling Out. I had to double check to remind myself that they both were on (and not just Taran) — it’s been driving me nuts all week. 

• Love 3
On 4/8/2019 at 5:23 PM, helenamonster said:

Honestly, I think that would have been better  if she HAD been the only woman at the time! Instead of "stealing the spotlight" she would've been showing women could be just as funny as men.  It would've been great for her(if bad for the show). It's not like it would have been the only show to have just one female cast member(Upright Citizen's Brigade with Amy Poehler for example). Seeing Sudeikis wearing that shirt in the closing goodbye reminded me how close that particular group of cast members were and still are. The ensemble of him, Kristen, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg who all started in 2005 along with Seth Meyers, Fred Armisen, Will Forte and Kenan worked so well together they could have been unchanged for the next 7 years.  Adding any new members male or female seemed unnecessary and shifted the dynamic.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2