Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: Moving Meltdowns

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Hee!  Which calls to mind another favorite line from the Bob Newhart show whose neighbor was Howard Borden.  Bob's wife said that Howard had a brother who worked at the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City -  Norman Borden the Mormon Doorman.

When did my brain become a repository with lines from old TV shows and movies?  But it still makes me a brighter bulb than Kootie the Mormon moron.

Exactly!!   And I make no apologies for any accidental changes to your post.  It happens.  lol

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Hee!  Which calls to mind another favorite line from the Bob Newhart show whose neighbor was Howard Borden.  Bob's wife said that Howard had a brother who worked at the Tabernacle in Salt Lake City -  Norman Borden the Mormon Doorman.

When did my brain become a repository with lines from old TV shows and movies?  But it still makes me a brighter bulb than Kootie the Mormon moron.

I loved that show! Remember Howard's son Howie, whose mother took him to Hawaii with her new boyfriend? "Now Howie's in Maui!" And the episode where Bob stays home alone for Thanksgiving while Emily goes to Seattle is one of the funniest of any sitcom ever. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

And the episode where Bob stays home alone for Thanksgiving while Emily goes to Seattle is one of the funniest of any sitcom ever. 

Totally agree.  The debate over cooking the turkey at 1000 degrees and the drunken order for Moo Goo Gai Pan.  Hysterical!

I'd watch reruns of this 100 times before watching a single second of the Brown Clowns.

• Love 4
On 4/5/2019 at 5:53 PM, Sandy W said:

They bought the land before Kody came up with his hare-brained idea of the mass housing project.  He's maybe thinking if they utilize just one lot, they could sell off the other 3 to help finance the pipe dream.  It's all academic anyhow because even if he did convince his flock of sheep to live under one roof, there is NO way they could get past the zoning changes, building restrictions and approval by other residents that his plan would require

I don't see them wanting to sell some of their land as they are trying to escape congestion and too many people. I don't think they would want strangers building so close to them.

Durr Bob Hartley wants "more goo to go."  My favorite episode.

Brown Clowns & Sons Moving Co.  "we break it, you take it."  

Kootie doesn't appear to have two brain cells to rub together.  He really doesn't give a shit how dumb he acts.  Moron, indeed!

• Love 3
On 4/5/2019 at 4:47 PM, AZChristian said:

Did Day-un start college last August/September (2018)?  If that's the case, they would have had to establish residency in August of 2017.  I've seen nothing in their social media or other news reports that they had done that.

He was accepted when they lived in Vegas. He wouldn't have had to establish residency at all but would have to out state tuition for the first year.  But after that he could start paying in state tuition. 

• Love 1
On 4/5/2019 at 7:43 AM, Adiba said:

Even though I am not a Meri fan, nor do I condone her behavior, I agree. If even we, as viewers can see what happened, then Kody and the other wives know. Anyone in that family with internet access knows. So why does she have to say it on camera? Do the viewers want some sort of act of contrition? A scarlet letter and sack-cloth, a grand mea culpa?  We don't know what was said in private to Kody and by Kody to Meri. I bet Mariah in private has said everything to her mother that hurt her, and Meri has apologized to her.

And if anyone thinks this "hurt the other wives," I've got a bridge I want to sell you.

Having said that, the show should not use it as a storyline if no one is willing to discuss it truthfully on camera. But how often do any of these clowns tell the truth on camera?

I don't think Meri needs to continue to be punished for the Catfishing but I do think she should show more understanding towards her sister wives and Kody for their inability to fully trust her right now. She needs to acknowledge and own the damage caused by the catfishing.  That is important to her own healing and to the healing of the family.  To continue to act as if they are being unfair to her will only keep the wounds raw.  

• Love 5
On 4/5/2019 at 4:28 PM, Pingaponga said:

Assuming they don't get planning permission for the McMansion, what are they going to do? Besides claim they are being persecuted for being polygamists, I mean.  Are they going to build separate houses on the properties, or sell them and move again?

The one thing that stikes me is  a house like that won't likely be easy to sell if they decide to move again.  

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Anlogle said:

I don't see them wanting to sell some of their land as they are trying to escape congestion and too many people. I don't think they would want strangers building so close to them.

If privacy is what they are seeking, they should have bought the Cottonwood properties, the barren landscape of the Plains of Plague situates them in wide open territory.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Anlogle said:

He was accepted when they lived in Vegas. He wouldn't have had to establish residency at all but would have to out state tuition for the first year.  But after that he could start paying in state tuition. 

In-state tuition at NAU is $11,000. Out-of-state tuition is $25,000.

There is a western states compact where member states offer discounted tuition to each other. 

A Nevada resident pays $16,000 instead of $25,000 to attend NAU - and they would get the same price for 4 years without even moving to Arizona.

So Day'un is eligible for the deeply discounted tuition his first year and in-state the next year.

Edited by suomi
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 4/5/2019 at 2:39 PM, suomi said:

Nice touch! The Motown-adjacent smooth and mighty O'Jays. 

(They smile in your face)
All the time they wanna take your place
The back stabbers (back stabbers)

My favorite O'Jays song is Love Train. Anyone who watched Soul Train knows Love Train. 

My little brother's BFF Mike had a fantastic 'fro. He came to my daughter's first birthday party and she liked him right away and keep staring at his hair. We were hippies and she was a little bit unsure around her grandpas because they had short hair but Mike was immediately OK in her book. I saw the little wheels turning in her head: I know this guy - Mommy watches him every Saturday when she turns up the TV real loud and pretends she can dance. That was the first time I saw her "get" something that wasn't related to herself. That was in '72 and he executed my brother's will when he died a few months ago. They were each other's executors and now Mike has to find someone else. 😞

I LOVE that song!  

• Love 2
On 4/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Let's reverse things for a second, and say that a monogamous man was "neglected, rejected by his wife, treated with disdain by his only daughter, and just wanted to be valued and loved", and chose to engage in behavior that was designed to lead to an extra-marital affair and leaving of the marriage.  I don't think that anyone here would be supporting it,

I agree totally. However, I also believe Meri's response is largely in accordance with Kody's wishes. I do not believe for a moment she is speaking freely. I think she was say and respond in any way that is favourable to Kody. She clearly wants his approval, and I just don't believe this situation has been viewed completely or honestly. Again, that's their burden to bear.

On 4/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, LuvMyShows said:

OK, while many of us can sympathize with Meri's feelings, that doesn't mean that she gets to act on whatever feelings she has at the time, without experiencing the consequences.  Keep in mind that she chose that lifestyle,... Every one of them has said that the legal marriage/divorce mean nothing, and that it's the spiritual marriage that counts.  And she was still very much spiritually married to Kody when the cat-fishing occurred, hence wrong-doing, hence apology needed and responsibility needs to be taken.

All of your observations are very true. In hindsight, I think my biggest disappointment with the entire catfish situation was that it was fake. I wish it really had been some great guy who felt a connection to Meri and wanted to start a life with her. For a brief moment she was excited (as we all are in the initial phase of any relationship). I'm sure public reaction doesn't even compare to the self-loathing she initially felt. She probably beat herself up for foolishly thinking ANYONE would want her. Even though this may not be the case, there's no way Meri will ever allow herself to appear vulnerable ever again. What a way to live, ugh.

• Love 4

I don’t believe she was looking for a man at all. She thought she had found an online friend but sadly it was a jerk who zeroed in on her vulnerabilities and IMO sought to capitalize somehow (maybe even just the rush of conning someone) on the fact that she’s known to the public. I think she was a sitting duck. 

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I don’t believe she was looking for a man at all. She thought she had found an online friend but sadly it was a jerk who zeroed in on her vulnerabilities and IMO sought to capitalize somehow (maybe even just the rush of conning someone) on the fact that she’s known to the public. I think she was a sitting duck. 

A sitting duck sucking on a banana for her "friend"

I don't know anyone who sex talks, hops in the tub for pics and sucks on a banana for a friend.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
47 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Meri was indeed vulnerable, she had lost the power she had relished as HBIC over Janelle and Christine when she was pushed to give up her status to Robyn.  When/If it was her idea to bring Robyn into the fold, I believe that Meri felt Robyn would always be subservient and beholden to her for rescuing a divorcee with 3 children.  When Robyn turned the tables on her, Meri suffered a crushing ego blow and loss of authority and this is why I could never feel sympathy for her. 

She may not have been seeking a man initially but I don't believe that she was so naive that she couldn't see the turning point when the online friendship became out of control.  If Meri was a person of integrity, this is the point she should have taken a step back and assessed why she was allowing this person to invade her space and allowing herself to participate.  It wasn't until she had deluded herself into believing she had secured a future as the prime interest in another person's existence that she was ready to make her move.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Meri was indeed vulnerable, she had lost the power she had relished as HBIC over Janelle and Christine when she was pushed to give up her status to Robyn.  When/If it was her idea to bring Robyn into the fold, I believe that Meri felt Robyn would always be subservient and beholden to her for rescuing a divorcee with 3 children.  When Robyn turned the tables on her, Meri suffered a crushing ego blow and loss of authority and this is why I could never feel sympathy for her. 

She may not have been seeking a man initially but I don't believe that she was so naive that she couldn't see the turning point when the online friendship became out of control.  If Meri was a person of integrity, this is the point she should have taken a step back and assessed why she was allowing this person to invade her space and allowing herself to participate.  It wasn't until she had deluded herself into believing she had secured a future as the prime interest in another person's existence that she was ready to make her move.

Great post.  I totally agree.  Stealthy Robyn pulled a fast one and got what she wanted, at Meri's expense.  Robyn also had the gall to pretend cry and say, "you did it for my kids."  Phony bitch!

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Great post.  I totally agree.  Stealthy Robyn pulled a fast one and got what she wanted, at Meri's expense.  Robyn also had the gall to pretend cry and say, "you did it for my kids."  Phony bitch!

Robyn is definitely a Stealth Bitch, but had Meri been a more compassionate person in her role as First Wife, there would not have been the alienation of Christine and Janelle, which in turn caused Meri to seek an ally in the form of Robyn.  Meri is the author of her own misfortune.

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Robyn is definitely a Stealth Bitch, but had Meri been a more compassionate person in her role as First Wife, there would not have been the alienation of Christine and Janelle, which in turn caused Meri to seek an ally in the form of Robyn.  Meri is the author of her own misfortune.

I agree and that's why I have a hard time feeling much sympathy for Meri

When Christine... who in my opinion is a kind hearted and sort of simple person went to Meri in distress over her relationship with Kody... Meri acted like a stone cold bitch.

She sat in her bed enjoying Christine's pain, looking down her nose and telling Christine she better suck it up and be nicer.

Christine had to endure a pregnancy and birth while Kody pranced around on Cloud 9 with Robyn his sexy little girlfriend...then she sat at home with a brand new baby while Kootie sucked face and honeymooned with his bride.

Meri facilitated the entire thing and the timing of it KNOWING damn well that Christine was pregnant.

Meri is great at wiping eye boogers and bawling when it's HER heart breaking but she didn't give 2 shits about Christine or what the courtship at that particular time would do to Christine... . I mean really..think about that.... It's horrible. 😢

Sorry, no sympathy for Meri and her catfish BS... She brought that on herself.... Once again it was Meri looking out for Meri and it backfired and bit her in the ass.

Be careful how you treat others, karma is a bitch named Robyn 

• Love 19
10 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

When Christine... who in my opinion is a kind hearted and sort of simple person went to Meri in distress over her relationship with Kody... Meri acted like a stone cold bitch.

She sat in her bed enjoying Christine's pain, looking down her nose and telling Christine she better suck it up and be nicer.

Christine had to endure a pregnancy and birth while Kody pranced around on Cloud 9 with Robyn his sexy little girlfriend...then she sat at home with a brand new baby while Kootie sucked face and honeymooned with his bride.

Meri facilitated the entire thing and the timing of it KNOWING damn well that Christine was pregnant.

Meri is great at wiping eye boogers and bawling when it's HER heart breaking but she didn't give 2 shits about Christine or what the courtship at that particular time would do to Christine... . I mean really..think about that.... It's horrible. 😢

Sorry, no sympathy for Meri and her catfish BS... She brought that on herself.... Once again it was Meri looking out for Meri and it backfired and bit her in the ass.

Great summary of Meri's treatment of Christine and I believe I have read that Christine suffered pretty severe PPD at that time, compounding the situation further.

Meri also treated Janelle like crap in the early years, sitting cuddling with Kody in front of Janelle and working at a part-time job so she was free to take off with Kody on business trips, leaving Janelle home alone like a wallflower.  Meri even picked on Janelle for the way she stacked dishes in the cupboards, this may be at the root of Janelle's indifference to everything, she couldn't do anything right, so why bother even trying.

I could understand Meri's animosity to Janelle, given that she had been married to her brother, but Meri had the power of veto over a new wife and instead acquiesced to Kody and allowed Janelle into the marriage.  

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Great summary of Meri's treatment of Christine and I believe I have read that Christine suffered pretty severe PPD at that time, compounding the situation further.

Meri also treated Janelle like crap in the early years, sitting cuddling with Kody in front of Janelle and working at a part-time job so she was free to take off with Kody on business trips, leaving Janelle home alone like a wallflower.  Meri even picked on Janelle for the way she stacked dishes in the cupboards, this may be at the root of Janelle's indifference to everything, she couldn't do anything right, so why bother even trying.

I could understand Meri's animosity to Janelle, given that she had been married to her brother, but Meri had the power of veto over a new wife and instead acquiesced to Kody and allowed Janelle into the marriage.  

I really felt terrible for Christine it must have hurt like hell to go through that whole courtship, wedding, honeymoon while pregnant and then caring for a newborn.

Kody really pisses me off with his recent blubbering about missing his special moments with his little ones (king Sol and Arabellawhatever) he never once teared up or anguished over missing his newborn Truely.... Did he even inquire about her on his half assed phone calls to home while honeymooning with Jaws?

Hell he still didn't give a shit when she was older and seriously I'll... Had it not been for Aspyn? (not sure if it was her) Truely could be dead.

During the Prairie dog plague dirt tour he made damn sure Sol and arrabellblahblah were near him meanwhile Truely is literally digging in the Prairie dog tunnel.

He's such an asshole... Every time I'm watching the show and hubby walks past and happens to see kody he always says "that dudes got the most punchable face"  and I always say "I wish!" 😂

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

So true!  And I remember when Meri & Christine had that talk, and the camera clearly showed Meri's marriage certificate on the wall.  Who does that?  Why, only someone as mean as Meri.

Robyn saying that the legal marriage "doesn't matter?"  Like hell, it doesn't!  If that is true, why not let Christine have a turn as the real Mrs. Brown?  She has never had a legit marriage with that sucky man, and she would jump at the chance.  

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

So true!  And I remember when Meri & Christine had that talk, and the camera clearly showed Meri's marriage certificate on the wall.  Who does that?  Why, only someone as mean as Meri.

Robyn saying that the legal marriage "doesn't matter?"  Like hell, it doesn't!  If that is true, why not let Christine have a turn as the real Mrs. Brown?  She has never had a legit marriage with that sucky man, and she would jump at the chance.  

Exactly and what was up with that dumb ass interviewer during the tell nothing bringing up poor Meri and how she has to carry the stigma of divorce... Wtf.. Robyn is also divorced and so is Janelle...  I'm so sick and tired of everyone worrying about Meri 

She's a nasty piece of work and always has been, she's a calculating bitch and was always scheming some way of making Janelle and Christine miserable.

There was no need to point Kody towards Robyn at that exact time other than wanting to make Christine as miserable as she was.

Grrrrr and Kody asshat that he is should have said "No this isn't an appropriate time with Christine pregnant.. I have my hands full and need to be there for Christine,... a possible courtship with Robyn can wait"

No way, dirty selfish dog that he is... "okay Meri point my dick in her direction and watch me gooooo"  ugh!

Meanwhile Meri is loving it because now Christine AND Janelle were both miserable like her.

She's really a nasty piece of work... I love that Robyn turned the tables on Meri and pulled the rug out from under her and left her out in the cold.

Now Robyn, Janelle and Christine seem fairly happy and Meri after all her scheming is the one with her pug nose squashed against the window looking in. 😂

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

Grrrrr and Kody asshat that he is should have said "No this isn't an appropriate time with Christine pregnant.. I have my hands full and need to be there for Christine,... a possible courtship with Robyn can wait"

I'm pretty sure the convo went this way "I am cutting a deal with TLC to do a show and I promised to bring in another wife as a storyline. That skinny brunette, who has been chasing me since the community found out about the show, will do. Any objections Meri? If you DO have any, too bad. We need the money. Oh, and I guess I should tell Janelle and Christine they will have to wait longer in the Peen Rotation."

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Exactly.  But I also wonder how Meri felt while Kody was hoovering around with Christine before her entrance to the “marriage”.  Meri was the last person Christine should’ve expected to validate her feelings. 

Knowing that Meri had to watch these women angling for positions in her husband’s willing bed makes me wonder why I expected her to behave rationally at all.  I get that she signed up for it, was raised in it, but is anyone really equipped to handle this situation with grace.  It appears that one shatters off in a hundred directions and just pieces together what one can find of the leavings.  What a mess. 

I also believe Kody chose the  obviously-intrigued Janelle, but had her make the formal request required in their sect.  Kody was probably not exactly bowled over by Janelle (or Meri either really), but he could generously afford to give the gift of himself to these charitable causes, what with the prospect of plenty more wives in the future.  I think the church and life itself put the kibosh on those dreams.

Stealthy as I think Robyn is, I am realizing this  is just how this game is played.  These ladies adopt the only available roles and humanness takes it from there. What. A. Mess.

Edited by Just Wondering
Weird spacing
  • Love 7

I think Meri, Christine, and Robyn all understood how this game  is played. Janelle didn’t grow up in it the way the other 3 did so I think she bought into the good stuff or realized it was her best chance at being a mother/having a family. 

Meri was top dog but Janelle and  Christine seemed to genuinely like each other and they each played a role for the other in the kids lives.  Meri’s only kid was aging and she needed an ally.  

In comes younger and skinnier BFF Robyn.  Robyn meanwhile understood what would actually get Kodys attention and keep it.   She keeps wife 1 as her friend to ensure she’ll have power and say until Meri messes up and/or Robyn figures out to make her move. 

Christine decided to take a back seat and be the supportive wife, instead of Meri v Robyn power struggle.   She was the fun and sweet island as opposed to be old crying Meri who was losing favor and nagging breastfeeding Robyn. 

Janelle meanwhile was hanging with her kids and not selling houses.  

Polygamy is actually more like junior high clicks than anything.  Meri thought she was the most popular and it backfired.

She’s been dealing with that loss ever since.  She can’t figure out how to not be the favorite.  She’s been mopey about it for 5+ years at this point. 

Edited by Soaper410
  • Love 10
23 minutes ago, Soaper410 said:

I think Meri, Christine, and Robyn all understood how this game  is played. Janelle didn’t grow up in it the way the other 3 did so I think she bought into the good stuff or realized it was her best chance at being a mother/having a famiIy.

I think you're pretty much spot on except for the last sentence. Janelle was married to Meri's brother at the time Kody and Meri tied the knot. 

No matter how the family wants to spin it, I still believe that Janelle had the hots for Kody and after her mom "married" Kody's dad, she realized she could get Kody that way. Got fixated on him, threw her husband under the bus and wormed her way into Kody's life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

^^you could be right.  

I always assumed Janelle married Kody cause Meri’s brother was closeted gay and/or there were other issues.  To “protect” Janelle and the secret  they married her off to a close relative.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Soaper410 said:

^^you could be right.  

I always assumed Janelle married Kody cause Meri’s brother was closeted gay and/or there were other issues.  To “protect” Janelle and the secret  they married her off to a close relative.

Janelle describes it pretty clear in their book and she has touched lightly on camera.  She "saw Kody walk in the room and it felt like she remembered something that she had forgotten..." However, she met Meri when she was together with Meri's brother, and Meri was married to Kody while Janelle was married to her brother.  So this "remembering" most likely happened while Janelle was married.  She was LDS at the time and she pretty much had the hots for Kody.  But it was quite a few years before her revelations to convert were simply the way she could get Kody, through polygamy.

• Love 5