Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: Showcase / Final Judgment (2019.03.31)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

The showcase round goes to Aulani, A Disney Resort in Ko Olina, Hawaii, where the show’s Top 40 contestants take to the beach for solo performances in front of a live audience and the judge panel. Afterward, the judges sit down with each contestant to reveal their fate, culminating with the show’s Top 20 finalists.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm sad about Myra Tran.  I know she didn't have many fans here, but I really did like her.

Same. I'm also very shocked and sad about Shayy. I thought she was generally more consistent than some of the other people they let through. 

Really nice performance by Laine at the end there (and he looked very handsome in that suit, too). Funny he makes it to this point, considering he hadn't even initially planned to audition this time around-what are the odds he'd wind up in the exact same spot again? 

"Pearl Harbor? I thought that was just a movie." Oh, dear...:/. 

I do like how mature those who were rejected acted about the whole thing. Obviously don't blame them for being sad and crying and whatnot, but seeing them congratulate and support the others, and walking away with a positive attitude in general, is admirable. Best of luck to them in whatever they choose to do next, musically or otherwise. 

Look forward to seeing what happens with the top 20 now!

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 8

To the guy who dedicated the song to his wife, wanted to find her in the crowd, point to her while singing and then leave the song with the big "I love you baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"   See ya.   His voice was pitchy and he was just strumming on his guitar....didn't seem like he had anything going for him.  No sex appeal, country appeal, voice appeal.   Meh

That's what Eddie Island Yellow Glasses has going for him.....very recognizable voice.   If I didn't have to watch what kind of train wreck choices he might make I'd like to listen to him sing a bit.   He's so busy congratulating himself on being so unique and special that he doesn't realize how immature he is.

• Love 6

I did cringe when that guy didn't know that Hawaii was part of the United States and he didn't need a passport....or that Pearl Harbor was there....there is one thing to be naïve but another to be obtuse.   That being said when he sings he's pretty mesmerizing.  Listening to him after those twee blondes doing karaoke to country and pop songs just made them look even more silly to the casting stereotypes.   I forgave him and also wanted him to put on a pair of shoes LOL

Speaking of twee blondes....why is that 16 year old making it through?  She might want to wear shorts that don't leave her entire netherregion hanging out when she does the poopy squat moves on stage.  Yikes.

I missed Evelyn....her voice makes me want to eat glass so i'm glad I missed it.

I didn't see Kai the Singer....did she make it?

When they closed with Iz version of Over the Rainbow I got chills.....man could saaaaang.

8 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I missed the last 20 minutes. Did Eddie Island make it through? 

yes

• Love 3

I don't know anybody's name yet, but I thought the guy who sang Play That Funky Music (is that even the name of that song?) was great. 

I agree about the 16 year old with her hoo ha practically falling out of those shorts.   Was there no responsible adult to advise against those?  Or at least tell her not to squat.  The whole thing was creepy.

• Love 8

I haven't seen AI in years but I liked this elimination format a lot.  Have they changed to this over the years?   You basically get to see most of their live performance in front of the crowd and then their elimination (or not) right after.  With so many contestants it's nice to see it this way.  It's also smart because so many people may only get to see an episode here and there where this might be the first time they are catching any of the contestants....makes it not a necessity to know anyone.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

I agree about the 16 year old with her hoo ha practically falling out of those shorts.   Was there no responsible adult to advise against those?  Or at least tell her not to squat.  The whole thing was creepy.

Well her parents were in the crowd and they looked proud LOL.  I don't know the appeal of sexualizing these kids at such a young age....they already look so OLD with their mature hair and makeup....can we at least not let their "parts" hang out just because it's the quick appeal of the "industry?"  If he or she has a good voice that will carry them through.   You can wear a black potato sack and captivate an audience.

Get off my Lawn!   (and I'm not even that old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

didn't see Kai the Singer....did she make it?

She didn’t, and I thought she sounded good. 

I guess the trip to Hawaii (seemingly with a guest) made eliminations a little less devestating for some. At least everyone got a nice vacation. 

Jeremiah is my favorite. Listening to him talk about how he’s not what his parents expected just broke my heart. I hope he wins it all. 

And Uche was fun! Hope he sticks around a long time. 

• Love 11

I'm really finding myself truly enjoying this season.  My favs are Jeremiah, Lacy, Laine (gotta root for my La boy), Madison, Alejandro, Walker, Ryan and Shawn. I'll be voting like crazy!  Does voting start tomorrow night?

• Love 4
Just now, DietCokeJunkie said:

She didn’t, and I thought she sounded good. 

I guess the trip to Hawaii (seemingly with a guest) made eliminations a little less devestating for some. At least everyone got a nice vacation. 

Jeremiah is my favorite. Listening to him talk about how he’s not what his parents expected just broke my heart. I hope he wins it all. 

And Uche was fun! Hope he sticks around a long time. 

I'm shocked about Kai!   Was she devastated?   I saw her sing and thought she sounded great and LOVED her outfit.   Very fresh.  But she didn't exactly move the crowd.

Is Jeremiah the gay kid who sang Landslide?   That story is sad but glad he at least has his boyfriend.   I kept thinking maybe they flew the parents in but alas no.

Who was Uche?????  I need to go back and watch the ones I missed.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I'm shocked about Kai!   Was she devastated?   I saw her sing and thought she sounded great and LOVED her outfit.   Very fresh.  But she didn't exactly move the crowd.

Is Jeremiah the gay kid who sang Landslide?   That story is sad but glad he at least has his boyfriend.   I kept thinking maybe they flew the parents in but alas no.

Who was Uche?????  I need to go back and watch the ones I missed.

Kai was upset, but Katy said very nice things to her about not being ready and she seemed to get it. I agree that she showed a lot of growth from the auditions. 

Yes, that’s Jeremiah. I think the parents want nothing to do with him since he came out. Makes me sick. I don’t understand how parents can do that. His voice is so beautiful. I’m really rooting for him.

Uche sang Play that Funky Music White Boy. He’s got personality plus! Love to watch him. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I don't know if behind the scenes the producers take into consideration diva behavior, and I'm sure they see a lot of it, but ever since Nate Walker went to the hospital, I've felt that he may be somewhat of a diva and I can see that with Myra Tran, too.  That being said, I really thought that Myra would make it to the top 20 and some TV websites had her in the Top 10.  Regarding Shayy, she was quite pitchy in places on the Adele song.  It's bad when you're pulling for the quirky dog walker over Eddie Island.  Oh, well.  

Edited by Babalooie
corrected content
  • Love 5

I can see why they did this whole Hawaii thing. It's not hard for this show to take over one of those mega-resorts and get some product placement out of it.

No Emma Kleinberg though? Bad choice, judges. Booo.

My favorite part was when they eliminated Bobby Bones. Wait, that was just in my head.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

Kai was upset, but Katy said very nice things to her about not being ready and she seemed to get it. I agree that she showed a lot of growth from the auditions. 

Yes, that’s Jeremiah. I think the parents want nothing to do with him since he came out. Makes me sick. I don’t understand how parents can do that. His voice is so beautiful. I’m really rooting for him.

Uche sang Play that Funky Music White Boy. He’s got personality plus! Love to watch him. 

Thanks.  Second mention the FMWB song so I guess I'll go find that one LOL!   It was 3 hours tonight so it would even be a long watch on DVR.   I caught it on and off all night.

I think Jeremiah's parents or dad is a pastor.   So I assumed there was an implied religious component to it?  Or maybe they just don't approve of the lifestyle?   I'm not well versed on which religions are alt lifestyle tolerant but I could be way off and maybe they just don't approve of him and his choices.  Unfortunately a very common story for parents who aren't pastors.   When they see how happy he is or how talented he is I'm not sure how you can not lend your support!!!   But then again they probably think Hollywood and the music industry is the playground of the devil so maybe they are on to something LOL

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

I don't know if behind the scenes the producers take into consideration diva behavior, and I'm sure they see a lot of it, but ever since Wade Cota went to the hospital, I've felt that he may be somewhat of a diva and I can see that with Myra Tran, too.  That being said, I really thought that Myra would make it to the top 20 and some TV websites had her in the Top 10.  Regarding Shayy, she was quite pitchy in places on the Adele song.  It's bad when you're pulling for the quirky dog walker over Eddie Island.  Oh, well.

Is Myra Tran the girl with the horrible skin who sang in that horrible coat dress????   I've caught her a couple of times and I don't get her at all (if she's the one).   She doesn't enunciate the words....she literally sounds like a foreign person to me who is phonetically singing songs in a different language.  

Shayy....hmmmm I recall a dog walker but not this girl or a song by adele.

I do remember a girl who sang in a sequin dress with tennis shoes and was trying to sell us the Meghan Trainor song about not being a size 2....when she kind of looked no larger than a size 4.   LOL   Bad song choice for irony alone.   Her dress was also to short for an elevated stage and her squatting down to slap hands with people.  I'm surprised there is no stylist for AI to tell them these things that they mention in basic stage performance.   Although if you let enough people look up your skirt you might get votes later.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Prairie Fire said:

My favorite part was when they eliminated Bobby Bones. Wait, that was just in my head.

If you think about it he's been on our screens for almost a year and we've not managed to eliminate him yet.   C'mon America!!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, Prairie Fire said:

I had to laugh at his attempt to empathize by sharing his experience on "Dancing with the Stars". Yeah, he won, but considering the controversy that surrounded his win, maybe the "Idol" contestants should be wary of his advice. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Jeremiah's parents and siblings were there for him last week.  Being a pastor doesn't pay much and they may be saving to be able to see him in Hollywood.  The cynic in me thinks he's playing up the 'not accepting me' storyline so he has a storyline! They obviously haven't turned him out of the church they go to if they've given him a job there.  Janitor isn't much but there are only a handful of paying jobs at a church unless it's some megachurch or something.  He bothers me and not in a gay bashing way.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Is Myra Tran the girl with the horrible skin who sang in that horrible coat dress????   I've caught her a couple of times and I don't get her at all (if she's the one).   She doesn't enunciate the words....she literally sounds like a foreign person to me who is phonetically singing songs in a different language.  

Ummm well she's from Vietnam and has only lived in the US for a year. I think it's amazing her English is as good as it is. But I agree that if she wants to have a career singing in English, she'll need to work on her diction.

34 minutes ago, stcroix said:

Jeremiah's parents and siblings were there for him last week.  Being a pastor doesn't pay much and they may be saving to be able to see him in Hollywood.  The cynic in me thinks he's playing up the 'not accepting me' storyline so he has a storyline! They obviously haven't turned him out of the church they go to if they've given him a job there.  Janitor isn't much but there are only a handful of paying jobs at a church unless it's some megachurch or something.  He bothers me and not in a gay bashing way.

Are you sure they were there? I only remember his boyfriend and a friend being there. Since Hollywood week, he quit his janitor job and moved out. I got the impression that his parents didn't like him talking publicly about his stuggles at home.

• Love 9

My heart breaks for Jeremiah. Everyone else has family with them. Parental love and support should not come with conditions. Jeremiah and Alejandro imo are on a whole other level musically. So talented both of them.

• Love 9

Put me in the minority of those who liked Myra Tran. She had a few pitchy notes but I thought her voice was amazing. Yes, she has an accent, but I could understand every word she was singing. Of course, I have a granddaughter and I’ve heard that Moana song a hundred times, but still. Her diction was better than some of the American-born singers. For example, Kai sang a song by Alessia Cara that I really like, but I could hardly understand a word she was singing. That, and the fact that she goes by “Kai the Singer,” made me glad she didn’t go through. 

I really liked a lot of the guys who went through - too many to pick a favorite. Offhand I can’t think of a girl I really like. Some of my favorites were eliminated. I’m looking forward to seeing the Top 20 perform tomorrow. I assume voting starts next week?

• Love 2

It seems like the girls are either better or I just remember them better then the guys?

Was Laine the only country guy that went through? I remember so many county guys getting a Golden ticket but just Laine going through?

I was surprised by a few people that went home or maybe it was that we saw so much of the back story I thought they would go through, Shay, the boy  who had the 10 siblings and the single mom, and both singers who had stories about suicide. 

When the guy said Peal Harbor was just in a movie, my husband said That guy just lost votes. Why edit that clip in and then put him through?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, silverspoons said:

When the guy said Peal Harbor was just in a movie, my husband said That guy just lost votes. Why edit that clip in and then put him through?

And Wade is 27 years old, not 16.  How has he not learned about Pearl Harbor?   One thing I'm puzzled about him is that his speaking voice is entirely different from his singing voice.   He said he's never had lessons or training, so I wonder if he's singing incorrectly and doing damage to his vocal cords by trying to sing in that whiskey and cigarettes style.

• Love 6

I didn't dislike the format, but that was a LOT of filler, especially for the people being sent another way with their careers.  Some of the people going forward I barely remember seeing; there would be benefit from more balance.

So far, I like a lot of the people who went forward, but I think some of the near-misses will have either a shot next year or another way (though it might take longer.)

I liked for the contestants' and crews' sake that it was Hawaii, because if nothing else, they got a free trip to Hawaii.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SnarkAttack said:

They did pretty well eliminating the correct people.  

Favs are Lacie, Jeremiah, Ryan and Alejandro.  They do a good job picking songs that showcase their voice.

I finally know that his name is Alejandro (thanks to the Lady Gaga music cue) and he did a fantastic job with "Yellow" by Coldplay.

I'm in love with Laine Hardy.  I don't want to say how much older I am than he is.  Is his mother Asian?  Good god he is beautiful.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I had to laugh at his attempt to empathize by sharing his experience on "Dancing with the Stars". Yeah, he won, but considering the controversy that surrounded his win, maybe the "Idol" contestants should be wary of his advice. 

Is it okay if I ask you to elaborate?

7 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

Ummm well she's from Vietnam and has only lived in the US for a year. I think it's amazing her English is as good as it is. But I agree that if she wants to have a career singing in English, she'll need to work on her diction.

Thank you PezGirl7.

2 hours ago, Suzysite said:

And Wade is 27 years old, not 16.  How has he not learned about Pearl Harbor?   One thing I'm puzzled about him is that his speaking voice is entirely different from his singing voice.   He said he's never had lessons or training, so I wonder if he's singing incorrectly and doing damage to his vocal cords by trying to sing in that whiskey and cigarettes style.

I thought the judges saying they like him because they recognize his voice was funny.  Not exactly an endorsement.

6 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

I didn't dislike the format, but that was a LOT of filler

A 3 hour episode!  Goodness gracious.  

9 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

her parents were in the crowd and they looked proud LOL.  I don't know the appeal of sexualizing these kids at such a young age....they already look so OLD with their mature hair and makeup

I noticed her parents in the audience too and thought......well, they must really want this, to approve of that.  I just got all kinds of Briney Spears vibes and how sexualizing her at 16 did no-one any favors.  Except monetarily, of course. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Is it okay if I ask you to elaborate?

Basically, he was kind of this goofy contestant who had a few dances that were all right, but nothing spectacular, yet he wound up winning over a bunch of other contestants many fans felt were much more talented and deserving. And some people weren't very happy with the way he and his partner commented on the whole thing on Twitter, either, after the season ended, too (I'm not on Twitter, so 'm just going off what I've heard people mention there). There's discussion threads about the whole thing in the DWTS forum if you want to dig a little further, but yeah, it was pretty much the same ol' thing that happens with every reality/competition show at some point. Always that one contestant that has many fans going, "Why are they still here?"/"They won over x contestant?!". 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, stcroix said:

The cynic in me thinks he's playing up the 'not accepting me' storyline so he has a storyline! They obviously haven't turned him out of the church they go to if they've given him a job there.  Janitor isn't much but there are only a handful of paying jobs at a church unless it's some megachurch or something.  He bothers me and not in a gay bashing way.

So with you on this. I think he has a nice voice - just not American Idol great voice. An like you, the ones with a story seem to do better if they are not horrible singers. But I really have to say the thing I like most about this panel of judges is that they don't let the stories just keep sending them through to the next round. Sure, maybe the first, even the second round to build up some recognition, fan bases, but when it starts to get serious, they don't keep someone just because they're legally blind or because they lost both of their brothers to suicide in one year (how horrible and sad tho). 

• Love 2

I'm thrilled not to have Myra shouting at me again.  Sorry about Shay, she seemed better than Raquel or Bumbly.  I would've kept Emma (from Bel Air) over Ashley Hess, but mostly because Bel Air is 30 minutes away from where I live so she's kind of local.  I'd also have kept Kai; I really liked her voice, even if "the singer" part annoyed me.  Most of picks on the women's side were okay, though.

On the men's side, I knew when it came down to Tyler or Laine, it would be Laine.  He was clearly better in his last performance.  But I'd have kept Tyler over Eddie Island whose last performance was good, but he clearly doesn't take any of this seriously.  I also would've kept Nate over Dimitrius, and Nick Townsend over Shawn Robinson, because, although Nick's final wasn't his best, it was pretty good and I really liked his voice.  I still don't know what to think about Uche - his vocal was not that great, but he did put on a hell of a show; he won't be boring, at least.  And speaking of not getting it: what the hell do the judges see in Alejandro?  They keep saying how special and unique and talented he is, but all I see is a good guitarist with a bog-standard voice and no stage presence at all.

• Love 2

Why do so many of these contestants have shoe allergies?

My 20 year old musician grandson has the same shoe allergy.  He says he just can't perform with shoes on.  Whatever.

How in the world does someone get through high school without knowing that Hawaii is part of the US and that Pearl Harbor is a real place, not just a movie?  Doesn't say much for the Arizona school system.  He's a good singer, but I kind of want him to be eliminated just because he's so dumb.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

She doesn't enunciate the words....she literally sounds like a foreign person to me who is phonetically singing songs in a different language.  

That was one of my problems with her.  I know she was singing in English, but it didn't sound like it.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, camom said:

My 20 year old musician grandson has the same shoe allergy.  He says he just can't perform with shoes on.  Whatever.

How in the world does someone get through high school without knowing that Hawaii is part of the US and that Pearl Harbor is a real place, not just a movie?  Doesn't say much for the Arizona school system.  He's a good singer, but I kind of want him to be eliminated just because he's so dumb.

This.  And he was either proud of being so dumb, or too dumb to realize just how dumb he really is.  

• Love 4

I'm in love with Laine Hardy.  I don't want to say how much older I am than he is.  Is his mother Asian?  Good god he is beautiful.

He is half Asian.  My father was in the Navy when I was growing up and we spent 3 years in Japan, there were SO many half Asian kids that I went to school with that were absolutely stunning (please do not take this as full Asian kids are any less beautiful, living on base was a big, wonderful melting pot of nationalities but the majority on base had Caucasian fathers/Asian mothers).   

I haven't finished this episode but after a quick search, it looks like Maggie didn't make it :(  How was her performance?

Didn't like Kai the SInger's 'rejection' outfit (the one she performed in was cute).

I also didn't like Myra's stage outfit......she looked so much better when she was talking to Bobby Bones with the T-shirt.....onstage she looked like a mess.  She wasn't my favorite but my heart hurt for her. 

Was the guy who didn't know about Pearl Harbor the same one who had never heard of the Beach Boys song they had to sing in group?

I also felt bad for the red haired/freckled kid with all the siblings......I hope he goes on to fulfill his dream, he was a sweetheart.  I am not sure I could support 10 kids with even 2 jobs......didn't he say early on, the father/fathers weren't in the picture? 

• Love 2

I refuse to believe that Wade's ignorance is real. I think it's part of his schtick. There have been too many things that he "hasn't heard of." He needs to drop it and soon. 

I want to bring Jeremiah home with me. We can watch "Designing Women" marathons and eat Nutella out of the jar in bed. My kids have always wanted an older brother. 

Out of all the seasons I've seen, Laci is one of the few people whose album I'd buy. Alejandro is another one that I just like to sit back and listen to. I've really liked other people in the past, but only for as long as the season is airing. Once is ends, I tend to forget about all the contestants but the really big ones (Kelly, Carrie, JHud, Adam, etc.). 

I continue thinking that Evelyn sounds like a cross between Delores O'Riordan, Sinead O' Conner, and a braying goat. She is so affected that I almost can't even listen to her. Laci *could* sound affected, but she missed the mark and that's in her favor. IMO she's one of those who naturally has a unique and different voice, whereas Evelyn's sounds like she's trying to have one. 

I've been lukewarm on Laine, but I actually liked this performance. 

It was past Nate's time to go.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

Basically, he was kind of this goofy contestant who had a few dances that were all right, but nothing spectacular, yet he wound up winning over a bunch of other contestants many fans felt were much more talented and deserving. And some people weren't very happy with the way he and his partner commented on the whole thing on Twitter, either, after the season ended, too (I'm not on Twitter, so 'm just going off what I've heard people mention there). There's discussion threads about the whole thing in the DWTS forum if you want to dig a little further, but yeah, it was pretty much the same ol' thing that happens with every reality/competition show at some point. Always that one contestant that has many fans going, "Why are they still here?"/"They won over x contestant?!". 

Thanks, @Annber03

8 minutes ago, AnnieHeights said:

He is half Asian. 

Thank you.  I thought he was, even before I saw his mother.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, AnnieHeights said:

Was the guy who didn't know about Pearl Harbor the same one who had never heard of the Beach Boys song they had to sing in group?

It was the Mamas and the Papas, I believe.

I don't get why the judges like this guy's voice so much.  The way they were screaming "WOW" during the performance.  It was lost on me.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't get why the judges like this guy's voice so much.  The way they were screaming "WOW" during the performance.  It was lost on me.

I actually really like his voice, but he himself is starting to get on my nerves and that's affecting my listening enjoyment. Like Evelyn's singing voice, I feel like Wade's is really affected. My kids say that both are channeling "characters" when they sing, rather than using their natural singing voices. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I did have to hand it to Bobby for trying to snatch the "It's All About MEEEEE!" crown from Katy in this episode though. Kudos. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I refuse to believe that Wade's ignorance is real. I think it's part of his schtick. There have been too many things that he "hasn't heard of." He needs to drop it and soon. 

I want to bring Jeremiah home with me. We can watch "Designing Women" marathons and eat Nutella out of the jar in bed. My kids have always wanted an older brother. 

Out of all the seasons I've seen, Laci is one of the few people whose album I'd buy. Alejandro is another one that I just like to sit back and listen to. I've really liked other people in the past, but only for as long as the season is airing. Once is ends, I tend to forget about all the contestants but the really big ones (Kelly, Carrie, JHud, Adam, etc.). 

I continue thinking that Evelyn sounds like a cross between Delores O'Riordan, Sinead O' Conner, and a braying goat. She is so affected that I almost can't even listen to her. Laci *could* sound affected, but she missed the mark and that's in her favor. IMO she's one of those who naturally has a unique and different voice, whereas Evelyn's sounds like she's trying to have one. 

I've been lukewarm on Laine, but I actually liked this performance. 

It was past Nate's time to go.

2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I continue thinking that Evelyn sounds like a cross between Delores O'Riordan, Sinead O' Conner, and a braying goat. 

LOL.  Braying goat for sure. 

• Love 4

California Dreamin' (one of my favorite songs of all time) was originally a hit for the Mamas and the Papas, but the Beach Boys did do a remake that was a minor hit in the 1980s.

I do agree with you about Wade's voice as well.  It fits certain songs, but not my cup of tea overall.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

LOL.  Braying goat for sure. 

My kids and I were trying to describe her voice to my mom the other day so I did a few lines of "Wicked Games" in the style of a yodeling goat braying in the style of the Cranberries. I asked my kids, "Did that sound kind of like her?" "No," they said, "yours is much better."

Ha. 

I mean, we all have different tastes. Nothing wrong if people like her voice. I'm sure I like people that others don't. (I could listen to Emmylou Harris and Dwight Yoakam on repeat.) I only snark on stuff like that on here amongst my people. 

Just now, paul4295 said:

California Dreamin' (one of my favorite songs of all time) was originally a hit for the Mamas and the Papas, but the Beach Boys did do a remake that was a minor hit in the 1980s.

I do agree with you about Wade's voice as well.  It fits certain songs, but not my cup of tea overall.

My kids: "He only had 5 lines to remember and 2 of them were the title of the song."

It was slightly more than that, but they weren't wrong. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 7

I wish Jeremiah had chosen the song Wade did-'Work Song'-instead of doing 'Landslide'. I get it, Jerry, you're naïve and wounded and wear your heart on your sleeve, but I'm already bored with your old ass song choices. You need to show us that you can do something edgier/more contemporary. Also, I was expecting to see his parents in the audience; maybe they'll come around as he advances.

Speaking of Wade, that was the first performance of his that I liked. He was kind of menacing, which suits him and his fake voice. Looks like he's had some styling, too- those shirts were good on him, but skinny jeans?

Speaking of styling, I wonder whose idea it was to put Laine in a suit? Not his, I suspect. He's beautiful and has a twinkle in his eye, which goes a long way to selling his performances.

OTOH, I bet Uche selected his pleather leggings/feather vest from his closet of 'wedding singer' outfits. Uche is really, uh, something. Entertaining, yes- also corny and not much of a voice, imo.

Show should have kept Kai ('the Singer') over Professional Reality Show Personality Evelyn. In general, though, I think the judges/whoever made good choices.

• Love 2