Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: The Hike

• Start Topic

That was nice. I am surprised how emotionally invested I've become in these characters. Except Roland and Jocelyn, they're the weakest part of the show for me.

Who played the doctor, I've seen him somewhere else.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed how they handled Stevie's reaction to everything going on with Johnny. The emotions underneath all of her snarky deflection was such a classic Stevie thing but it felt even more emotional for me as a viewer.

• Like 1
  • Love 22

Awwww, Patrick's proposal was sweet. I kind of love that it happened after David bitched about having to hike and having no service and Patrick somehow managed to drive a stick straight through his shoe.

I really love that he knows David well enough to get him four rings to replace the ones he was already wearing. "Are these 24 karat?"

Johnny's storyline wasn't great, but at least we got to see how much Moira and Stevie love him. I don't think it will affect the amount of things that Moira demands of him, but at least she told him how much she loves him. It was so Moira to steal cinnamon buns from the lobby and then attempt to pass them off as patisserie bribes to get her kids to fold 500 programs for her.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I expected the proposal as soon as Patrick parked by the side of the road but it was still very well done.

There was an extra in the background of the hospital seen that, at least from a distance, looked like it was Amir and I kept expecting there to be some reveal with that (but am glad it wasn't). 

Always nice to see Twyla get a little more screentime.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I really loved that Alexis has come such a long way that she doesn't really want to leave her family because she's going to miss them and she now worries about them. 

The show had really nice moments in all three stories. 

Go away, Roland!

• Like 1
  • Love 19

Many shows choose to try to find the humor and laughter in how family members demonstrate disdain for each other which increases as the seasons go on (looking at you Modern Family), I just love how this show is allowing the Rose family and their extended family/friends to develop true love and enjoyment of each other.  To the point that Alexis is having feelings she never experienced before (the idea of missing her family).  All of the family members are doing things they never imagined doing and are finding their joy through them. 

Although I never attempt to speak for all viewers, I will make an exception and attempt in this instance-I don't think any of us thought that David would love going on a surprise hike.  Yet he did (albeit while complaining), and he did because it meant so much to Patrick (albeit while complaining).  And, Patrick does know and love that David tries and responds in kind.  I had no idea what he was giving to David to go along with the proposal, but when the four gold rings were revealed I was like "perfection."

Although I wrote a similar comment last week, I am still going to add that I will miss this show after its last season.  I will buy the DVDs if available (I know that it's available on various streaming services, but I wouldn't want to take the chance in the future that they stop streaming it...). 

• Like 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

when the four gold rings were revealed I was like "perfection."

Me too! Though David should know better about asking if they were 24 karat; if they were, they would be far too soft for everyday wear on hands that have to be working... Oh... maybe, never mind... 😉 

I do like how the couples all know each partner's strengths and weaknesses and love each other for them. (Always excepting Roland.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

OMG this show makes me cry so much! I was bawling at David and Patrick. Like a little baby. 

I LOVED Stevie being so upset over Johnny. She's usually just making faces in the background at the Roses' antics, it was nice to see this different side of her.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I LOVED Stevie being so upset over Johnny. She's usually just making faces in the background at the Roses' antics, it was nice to see this different side of her.

We know next to nothing about Stevie's personal life, so I actually wondered if she didn't come to see Johnny as a father figure.

• Like 1
  • Love 14
4 hours ago, YaddaYadda said:

We know next to nothing about Stevie's personal life, so I actually wondered if she didn't come to see Johnny as a father figure.

I think she has, especially after her motel reviewer boyfriend dumped her at that awards banquet. I have especially loved watching Stevie and Johnny’s relationship over the last couple seasons.

It was funny that Alexis could not identify what missing someone feels like, and when Moira didn’t even think to call her! I thought it was sweet when Moira put her head on Roland’s shoulder for support. I’m sad this season is almost over.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

This show is so special. If you would've told me five seasons ago that I would come to care so deeply about these characters, I don't know that I would have believed you. And yet, here we are. 

I didn't twig that Patrick was going to propose until he started acting a little squirrelly about postponing the picnic. Then David's reaction when he turned around and saw Patrick down on one knee...just wonderful. That whole scene was perfect.

And hey, even Roland was genuinely relieved to find out Johnny was going to be okay. It's a Schitt's Creek miracle!

• Like 1
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Pamela said:

This show is so special. If you would've told me five seasons ago that I would come to care so deeply about these characters, I don't know that I would have believed you. And yet, here we are. 

I didn't twig that Patrick was going to propose until he started acting a little squirrelly about postponing the picnic. Then David's reaction when he turned around and saw Patrick down on one knee...just wonderful. That whole scene was perfect.

And hey, even Roland was genuinely relieved to find out Johnny was going to be okay. It's a Schitt's Creek miracle!

I know. I'm typically not a shipper but I'm all in on David and Patrick. They are just real to me. I did know there was going to be a proposal as soon as they got out of that car. I just knew.

Patrick kinda being a butt when things weren't going the way he wanted them to just felt so true to me. Then just that little look on his face when David used the hand sanitizer. Even getting to the place where he wanted to propose and he still wasn't going to, I love that he realized that it didn't have to be the kind of perfect he thought it should be, that it was perfect just because it was them. Sorry if I wrote that badly, this show just has my heart.

• Like 1
  • Love 22
(edited)

In addition to the other wonderful moments mentioned, I had to add that I lol’d when Twy said she was earning money off the Tarot readings for a new dishwasher.  Then Alexis told Ted they should participate because it’s for Twy’s charity as she’s raising money for someone to wash her dishes.  Twyla said noooo, it’s for an appliance...

Oh, I love this show so much.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 11

Some of the lines have me laughing for hours after.  Like when Patrick hurt his foot and David just blurts out “Where’s the bear?” Perfect timing.  And Alexis’s Botox comment “What am I, 32?”  

• LOL 7
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Some of the lines have me laughing for hours after.  Like when Patrick hurt his foot and David just blurts out “Where’s the bear?” Perfect timing.  And Alexis’s Botox comment “What am I, 32?”  

David has the best overreactions to everyday events. I also love how he jumped when Moira honked the car horn at him last episode. I'm not sure if I could be friends in real life with someone that dramatic, but David is by far my favorite character on the show.

David and Patrick are my favorite couple on tv. Their compatibility, chemistry, support, and understanding of one another is so well written. I relish every scene they have together.

I usually don't enjoy Johnny-related plots, but I thought this one did a good job of showing how Johnny's quirks could also be endearing.

Dan Levy can write funny and touching moments with the best of them. I'll be sad when this show ends, but I look forward to seeing what else he can come up with.

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

David has the best overreactions to everyday events. I also love how he jumped when Moira honked the car horn at him last episode. I'm not sure if I could be friends in real life with someone that dramatic, but David is by far my favorite character on the show.

Oh I could! I've been looking for a David my whole life and I have yet to find one.

36 minutes ago, Catfi9ht said:

David and Patrick are my favorite couple on tv. Their compatibility, chemistry, support, and understanding of one another is so well written. I relish every scene they have together.

Me too. Also Jake and Amy from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I thinks that's it for romantic couples I care about.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Some of the lines have me laughing for hours after.  Like[...] Alexis’s Botox comment “What am I, 32?”  

Made funnier by the fact that Annie Murphy is really 32

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
On 4/3/2019 at 7:48 AM, cousin oliver said:

Moira not knowing Alexis's number was sheer character perfection.

I couldn't stop laughing. 

See also the part where Moira tells the doctor she played a nurse on M.A.S.H.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

I've realized that I'm pretty much David, minus the extra dash of drama and love of furry sweaters. The whole "Picnicking at the side of the road is an invitation to be murdered" is such a me thing to say. It fits with my other useful asides to friends, such as "You jog at night? That's when you get raped and murdered" or "That OfferUp/LetGo reply translates directly to RAPE and MURDER."

I blame my mother. You can see all my bedtime stories had a similar theme. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
On 4/6/2019 at 2:23 AM, Laurie4H said:

when Patrick hurt his foot and David just blurts out “Where’s the bear?”

What I really loved is that despite David always being so jumpy and paranoid, as soon as he saw that Patrick was really hurt, he was so calm and helpful. He took charge, he problem solved, and he didn't complain about carrying Patrick (even though he had JUST complained about having to carry the weight of a backpack).

• Like 1
  • Love 19
59 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What I really loved is that despite David always being so jumpy and paranoid, as soon as he saw that Patrick was really hurt, he was so calm and helpful. He took charge, he problem solved, and he didn't complain about carrying Patrick (even though he had JUST complained about having to carry the weight of a backpack).

I know. That's what I love so much about David and their relationship. And Patrick knows it too, he just had to get over wanting everything to be "perfect" for the proposal. I love them. *sighs*

• Like 1
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, Zanne said:

I've realized that I'm pretty much David, minus the extra dash of drama and love of furry sweaters. The whole "Picnicking at the side of the road is an invitation to be murdered" is such a me thing to say. It fits with my other useful asides to friends, such as "You jog at night? That's when you get raped and murdered" or "That OfferUp/LetGo reply translates directly to RAPE and MURDER."

I blame my mother. You can see all my bedtime stories had a similar theme. 

Same. Also, I watch a lot of true crime and horror stories. When David said that about picnicking at the side of the road, I started cracking up.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2019 at 10:51 PM, Starchild said:

That was nice. I am surprised how emotionally invested I've become in these characters. Except Roland and Jocelyn, they're the weakest part of the show for me.

Who played the doctor, I've seen him somewhere else.

I cried and clapped. David and Patrick are the most darling couple, ever. I want them to be real people!!! lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 4/10/2019 at 10:52 AM, Stiggs said:

I cried and clapped. David and Patrick are the most darling couple, ever. I want them to be real people!!! lol. 

I like them too, but David's tics and quirky movements would eventually drive me crazy.

I hate Chris Elliot in the best of times, so I've disliked Roland from the start, but I thought he was especially dickish here with Johnny.

The scene at the hospital bothered me. If a patient presents in an emergency room with chest pains (especially if you're a middle-aged man), they take you in immediately. Also, there's no way they'd do an endoscopy right then.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

OK this was great, but I don't think Daniel Levy was really able to act the part during the proposal. When he turned around and saw Patrick down on one knee he was already choked up before he could possibly even process it. So I think Daniel's emotions sort of got the better of him in that moment. I must have rewound it a dozen times, he barely turns around and already he's choking back tears because he knows what's going on.

Still . . . sweet.

Moira not knowing Alexis's number was sheer character perfection.

Yeah, there's at least one instance in every episode where I have to stop the video for a second because I'm cracking up so hard. David isn't answering, someone asks if she's called Alexis and she says "Oh, there's a top notch idea. {Pause.} Does anyone have her number?" 

I lost it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 8/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, iMonrey said:

OK this was great, but I don't think Daniel Levy was really able to act the part during the proposal. When he turned around and saw Patrick down on one knee he was already choked up before he could possibly even process it. So I think Daniel's emotions sort of got the better of him in that moment. I must have rewound it a dozen times, he barely turns around and already he's choking back tears because he knows what's going on.

Still . . . sweet.

I am going to have to disagree with your interpretation. David had figured out what is going on from the moment he finds the champagne in the backpack so he is already processing and preparing for the moment. I think Dan Levy was perfect in this scene but each to their own. 

Edited by Jac
  • Love 10
On 1/13/2020 at 11:13 AM, Capricasix said:

The hike and proposal was filmed at a park about 15 minutes from where I live 😊 Here’s a picture from one of the scenic lookouts (it’s Rattlesnake Point, if any of you are ever in Milton, Ontario!).

That's funny because my husband and I both thought it was a lookout at Sugarloaf Mountain about 30 minutes from where we live (even though we knew that was highly unlikely since the show is filmed in Canada). 

• Love 1
On 4/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, festivus said:

I know. I'm typically not a shipper but I'm all in on David and Patrick. They are just real to me. I did know there was going to be a proposal as soon as they got out of that car. I just knew.

Patrick kinda being a butt when things weren't going the way he wanted them to just felt so true to me. Then just that little look on his face when David used the hand sanitizer. Even getting to the place where he wanted to propose and he still wasn't going to, I love that he realized that it didn't have to be the kind of perfect he thought it should be, that it was perfect just because it was them. Sorry if I wrote that badly, this show just has my heart.

Me toooooo. 😭😭😭 I love every scene with then. I loved this so much. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:04 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes. I love that. Similar to the way he handled things in Meet the Parents. It's one of my favorite David qualities and it's one of the things that makes the relationship work for me. That makes the character work for me. 

On 4/15/2019 at 12:26 AM, SmithW6079 said:

The scene at the hospital bothered me. If a patient presents in an emergency room with chest pains (especially if you're a middle-aged man), they take you in immediately. Also, there's no way they'd do an endoscopy right then.

Yep. Nobody with chest pain is sitting in the waiting room. 

This episode was just so good.

• Like 1
  • Love 1