Type keyword(s) to search

Texicanas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If you can't get enough Texas on your TV, we have good news for you: A new docuseries Texicanas is coming to Bravo! In Texicanas, we're headed to San Antonio, a city rich in Mexican culture that boasts one of the largest Latino populations in the United States. The show follows six San Antonio ladies as they navigate love, family, and, of course, drama, all while maintaining their connection to Mexican culture and traditions.

Premieres May 7. Watch the trailer here.

Episode 1:

"Chapter 1: Two Months Earlier"

While hosting a Cinco de Mayo bash, Mayra is taken aback by Luz' opinion of her; Lorena and Karla try to get to know Luz better; Mayra offers Anayancy help with planning a charity event; a girls' night out leads to one friend crossing the line.

Airs May 7, 2019.

2 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I don’t know how I feel about the narration telling us the story.  So far I don’t like that but I’ll give it some more time.

It made me think that they don’t have a lot of great footage in order to try and tie together the scenes which doesn’t bode well.

• Love 2

I was curious about this as someone who is born and raised in San Antonio. When they announced it and were filming around town, I felt like it was offering a very narrow (and obviously segregated) view of San Antonio. Now that I've watched it, it's obvious thats what they were going for. I'm not sure why Bravo is like that, but the obvious segregation is annoying. This could've benefited from simply casting a good set of women and not going with this Mexico angle (much like I feel RHONY or RHOBH could benefit from diversity). I feel half of them are interesting, but it felt very forced.

I do think it was well produced and the city looked beautiful, but I hated the narration and flash forward. I feel that works only on the established shows where you know everyone. Plus it didn't seem like they were fighting over anything serious. I wish they had just introduced each woman and let the narrative play out on it's own. I felt like it was severely dumbed down in that regard. Just when I was getting into a scene it would be interrupted with them narrating what is happening. They skipped over the birthday party to talk about the birthday party. Let me SEE the birthday party! They were trying to cram too much in.

Still, despite my reservations, I'm a housewives and Bravo whore so I will probably give it a go. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I don’t know how I feel about the narration telling us the story.  So far I don’t like that but I’ll give it some more time.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It made me think that they don’t have a lot of great footage in order to try and tie together the scenes which doesn’t bode well.

MTE, y'all.  Plus,it gave it a bit of a "Made in Mexico" feeling minus the joy of that show.

Also from SA, and I hadn't paid much attention to the lead up from this show. I've watched the first 15 minutes and have decided to check out. This is such a narrow view of SA, featuring no one actually from here. Unlike @KnotsLanding, my reservations are making me check out. 

I might come by this forum to see if things get interesting though!

• Love 2
8 hours ago, timeywimey said:

Also from SA, and I hadn't paid much attention to the lead up from this show. I've watched the first 15 minutes and have decided to check out. This is such a narrow view of SA, featuring no one actually from here. Unlike @KnotsLanding, my reservations are making me check out. 

On 5/8/2019 at 2:36 AM, KnotsLanding said:

I was curious about this as someone who is born and raised in San Antonio. When they announced it and were filming around town, I felt like it was offering a very narrow (and obviously segregated) view of San Antonio. 

Hello fellow SA'ers!  Far west side representing.

I only fit in half of it while getting ready for work this morning but I enjoyed it for the most part.  I too was disappointed no one was really from here.  I moved here in 1998 and I've been here longer than any of them.  I also wasn't crazy about the jumping around.  I realized many scenes later that they were trying to tell the story of the group text or birthday party?  See I can't remember now.

Only thing I thought they left out which is true San Antonio is none of those women really spoke Spanglish.  It was either or but most everyone I hear around here is speaking Spanglish.

• Love 1

I was curious about the show. I went to college in San Antonio from 1982 -1986 (St. Mary’s) and was transferred to Houston for work in 1988. I was born and raised in Albuquerque, NM. I am glad several San Antonio natives said that this represented a narrow slice of San Antonio. That’s what I thought but I was in college for most of those years so my citywide exposure was somewhat narrow.

I love San Antonio and would move back there in a minute. My brother followed me to college and still lives in San Antonio. I’m now a long time resident of metro Atlanta. Of all the cities I’ve lived in or visited, San Antonio is the best.

• Love 2

All of the Bravo shows depict a very, very narrow slice of the cities they are set in. However, since there is not a lot of representation for Mexican Americans on tv I don’t have an issue with it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sheetmoss said:

Re; The narration

Didn't  Southern Charm have Cameran do it too on its first season?

So far I'm  enjoying  it

It’s been forever but I think she just did a little bit at the beginning of the episodes basically recalling the previous episodes over clips like she still does not throughout the entire episode. 

• Love 1

Episode 2:

"Chapter 2: Mind Over Matter"

The girls' night drama continues, leaving Luz and Mayra on the outs; Penny is conflicted about breaking with tradition when it comes to matters involving her son; Luz, Penny, Anayancy, and Karla run the Spartan Race.

Airs May 14, 2019.

Dumb and dumber cannot define"anal".

Also, they all need a jewelry intervention.

I guess that's the only reason I'm still watching. Fugly earrings and gaudy necklaces - and the faint hope this show is at least as lame as Invite Only Cabo.

2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Dumb and dumber cannot define"anal".

Also, they all need a jewelry intervention.

I guess that's the only reason I'm still watching. Fugly earrings and gaudy necklaces - and the faint hope this show is at least as lame as Invite Only Cabo.

After two episodes I can't watch this. One reason only... Myra. 

Can't stand her voice or her attitude.

Y'all enjoy. 

• Love 1

I hate to say I'm kind of loving this show.  I like Luz and actually most of them except Mayra.  I'd be pissed if someone touched me like that too.  

Penny's husband pings my gaydar a bit. 

Also this is fairly new footage, the Spartan Race was just barely 2 months ago, March 23-24 I think.  

For such a low fitness level, Karla sure is thin!  If only I had that gene...

• Love 1

Episode 3:

"Chapter 3: Unfashionable Behavior"

Karla, Lorena, Mayra, and their families enjoy a Mariachi Mass; while Anayancy struggles to fill out her citizenship application, Luz opens up about a citizenship story of her own; Penny invites the women to a charity fashion show.

Airs May 21, 2019.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2019 at 12:21 PM, OnceSane said:

Episode 3:

Airs May 21, 2019.

Did everyone already give up? 🤣

The show is not that good.  The narrating is beyond annoying.  

It is like a cheesy throwback to Saved By the Bell! Hahahahaha!

I was in SATX for a hot minute while my mom trained at BAMC ......and, love, love, love everything Tex-Mex......pero, ya no puedo con estas rucas!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought Luz's citizenship story was gonna be about her.  Why TF are we supposed to care about some dude we haven't met?  Will he feature prominently in Luz's storyline this season?  If not,I don't GAF.  I'd much rather watch Anayancy try to figure out her citizen application.  "Only form where we're considered white" had me rolling.  As did her attempts to avoid Mayra's help.  I like that she'd rather do it on her own to avoid Mayra taking over the whole shebang.

I'm digging Penny navigating her life: the fashion show, parenting with her husband and trying to help her friends all get along.  If we have to have a narrator for this, I think she's the best choice.

Karla trying to kneel/sit/walk at mass after the Spartan race…I died.  But I love how proud everyone was of her doing her best.  Karla has some of the best reactions to every situation.  I was afraid she'd be a little Lydia from RHoMelbourne, but she's totally not.  Though the fact she has to explain that her sister is the older one?  Girl, lay off the fillers.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

'd much rather watch Anayancy try to figure out her citizen application.  "Only form where we're considered white" had me rolling

Though she seriously need to renew her permanent residency card in the current environment because why it hasn't been enforced in the past not having a valid one is technically grounds for losing it and getting deported  and citizenship is going to take longer than two months. Also,  she should dump her boyfriend ugly and a Trump supporter not to mention making her parade around with those flowers which is.more about him getting credit from others than her enjoyment of them.

Peggy looks different in all her TH and real life and than her voice is a little different when she narrates so I get confused like she is two or three different people!

• Love 2

This episode I'm going to try to rewatch, I felt they started to lose me here. The cast overall just isn't that interesting and it seems they're struggling for things to feature to pad out the episode. I still say they should've gone more straight up housewives/Ladies of London in format and cast an overall good show and let it play out naturally. I'm so sick of them explaining every Mexican tradition or saying like they are some sort of unknown alien race we have no knowledge of. I felt Mexican Dynasties did a better job of just allowing the characters to exist and the footage to speak for itself. This just feels very dumbed down and contrived. 

Episode 4:

"Chapter 4: The Truce"

Mayra and her son discover their inner artists; Luz hosts the other women for a concealed handgun class; Karla looks for a way to embrace her husband's Greek culture; Mayra and Luz agree to sit down to hash out their differences.

Airs May 28, 2019.

For a show with only eight episodes, this is shockingly dull. We're halfway in and still the only conflict among the ladies is someone being called anal? That isn't even really an insult and that is all we have so far. Overall the group just doesn't seem to mesh. I like some of the ladies, but overall as a group it's just boring. If they got a second season (which I know wouldn't happen) they'd need to recast at least half of the show. I feel there is promise. I like some of the ladies, but their solo scenes are boring and the group scenes aren't much better. They need seem to do anything or go anywhere fabulous. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

For a show with only eight episodes, this is shockingly dull. We're halfway in and still the only conflict among the ladies is someone being called anal? That isn't even really an insult and that is all we have so far. Overall the group just doesn't seem to mesh. I like some of the ladies, but overall as a group it's just boring. If they got a second season (which I know wouldn't happen) they'd need to recast at least half of the show. I feel there is promise. I like some of the ladies, but their solo scenes are boring and the group scenes aren't much better. They need seem to do anything or go anywhere fabulous. 

I agree.  For whatever reason, this show bores me.  I can't muster up the slightest interest in these women and their families or relationships.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 12:14 PM, biakbiak said:

Not to mention we have heard so much about this stupid group text before it even has aired that I can’t imagine it will live up to the hype. 

The season is too short to have a flash forward, especially about a group text that probably won't amount to much. The constant narration not only dumbs the show down, but with the mentions of the group text you can tell they're trying to hype you up to think soemthing interesting is coming. I'm a believer of show not tell.

Also, the ratings are horrible. Mexican Dynasties was averaging 500,000 viewers and this is managing around 300,000 per episode. Considering these shows are airing after RHOBH which averages 1.6-1.7 million these results aren't good.  

• Love 2

Episode 5:

"Chapter 5: Birthday Bashing"

Lorena throws herself a birthday luncheon; Mayra has an emotional breakdown, putting her friendship with Karla at risk; Penny invites the ladies to a pole dancing class; Anayancy studies for her citizenship test, which is harder than she expected.

Airs June 4, 2019.

Okay it took until episode 6 of 8 to finally get to the text thing teased in episode 1 and now it’s almost over. 6 episodes for something dramatic to happen! These are some dull women who lead rather plain lived. This trip was just incredibly awkward and the place they stayed at seemed so low rent. Now I’m just curious to see how these final two episodes play out and how they wrap things up. 

Penny’s narraration continues to kill momentum. Replaying the moment when Karla and Mayra ignored each other at the party and explaining what was happening just killed me. How stupid do they think the viewers are? We don’t need something like that replayed and explained. Just SHOW us. 

Episode 6:

"Chapter 6: Text Mess"

Karla and her husband throw a Havana Nights-themed party; Penny decides to take the group on a quick couples' get-away to Horseshoe Bay; after a day of drinking, Mayra gets a hold of Penny's phone and reads a group chat not meant for her eyes.

Aired June 11, 2019.

Episode 7:

"Chapter 7: Borderline Friendships"

In Horseshoe Bay, the women unleash months of pent-up feelings they have towards Mayra; completely shocked, Mayra is comforted by an unlikely friend; Penny gets advice that leads her to stick up for Mayra at Anayancy's charity event.

Airs June 18, 2019.

Episode 8:

"Chapter 8: Independence Day"

The women think Penny showed Mayra the group chat on purpose; the men plan a Fourth of July party to try and repair the women's friendships; Karla gives Penny the cold shoulder when they join Luz and Janet at the San Antonio Gay Pride Parade.

Airs June 25, 2019.

There was so much wrong with this show but I can’t for the life of me figure out why the producers thought adding Penny as the voice of the show after the fact was a good idea. 

• Love 1

Yeah I don't know why Penny was the storyteller, it didn't really need one.  I enjoyed the show, hoping it comes back for season 2.  Then I can see Lorena's eye candy hubby.  He's hot.  Oh and she's pregnant again.

Janet and Luz go everywhere together, makes me wonder if friendship is all it is.  

• Love 1

This show was such a disappointment. Having a “narrator” distracted from the show. But this show did not hold my interest. I rewatched the first episode 4 times because I lost my attention. Same with the second episode. So, this has been on my DVR forever and I’m laid up with knee problems. Started to watch the 3rd episode but stopped and deleted all of the episodes. 

I was so disappointed because I went to college in San Antonio and lived there for a couple of years after college. My brother followed me to college in San Antonio and he still lives there. Granted, I moved from San Antonio in 1988, so it was a long time ago. I was hoping they would focus on the awesomeness of  San Antonio as I remember it and I was sadly disappointed.

But I loved, loved Mexican Dynasties- it was so funny and positive.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2019 at 7:10 PM, Stats Queen said:

But I loved, loved Mexican Dynasties- it was so funny and positive.

I'm going to have to watch that, I keep hearing about it.

Being from SA, I was hoping it would show some of the great areas of our city too.

Hope your knee gets better!

• Love 1